Four months smoke free!!!

Samui Bodoh

Very good,keep going . Smoked 30 years,been stopped for the last 3years. I also used willpower to quit, (Glanced at a photo of my two young children each time I thought of having a cigarette,and imagined their pain if they lost their Daddy)
found the first 3 months relatively easy, the 3-6 month period was the most difficult for me which ironically was the period I started to feel the benefits of quitting!
I also was amazed at my new found sense of taste and went from 80kg to 86kg in the first year, have since managed to get back down to a respectable 82.
Fee fitter,healthier and have much more energy to play with the kids

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Thank you for joining the pale of human decency. I just spent a very unpleasant 7 hours seated next to an American woman on a flight. Even though it was business class being in proximity to the constant light odor of cigarette emanating from her hair and clothes was more than I could bear. I spent most of time in a sleeping position with a blanket over my face and skipped the second meal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 minutes ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

Thank you for joining the pale of human decency. I just spent a very unpleasant 7 hours seated next to an American woman on a flight. Even though it was business class being in proximity to the constant light odor of cigarette emanating from her hair and clothes was more than I could bear. I spent most of time in a sleeping position with a blanket over my face and skipped the second meal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh dear my heart bleeds for you. How you must have suffered horribly.

Grow up, she didn't light up. How many sweaty BO overweight non smokers have you sat next to?

:violin:

7 hours ago, GBK said:

I stopped in the first of January and have had a relapse and been smoking again about a week now. Yes, I went out drinking with a friend, so that will be a no no for a while now. 

Your post has given me the strength to stop again on Monday. I did need the gum, but any quit is better than none, eh?

Hi GBK

Yes, keep at it! From everything that I have read, it usually takes several tries to get it. And, I do not consider myself a non-smoker at the moment, merely someone who has smoked for a bit. But, I am determined to be one day.

If the gum helps, or anything else, use it!!!

BTW, in case it sounds like I have had an easy time, I will note that I have flown off the handle at a few people due to the stopping, resulting in several grovelling apologies on my part. Sigh...

Hang in there... if ever there was something worth doing.... this is it.

Good luck!

2 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Hi GBK

Yes, keep at it! From everything that I have read, it usually takes several tries to get it. And, I do not consider myself a non-smoker at the moment, merely someone who has not smoked for a bit. But, I am determined to be one day.

If the gum helps, or anything else, use it!!!

BTW, in case it sounds like I have had an easy time, I will note that I have flown off the handle at a few people due to the stopping, resulting in several grovelling apologies on my part. Sigh...

Hang in there... if ever there was something worth doing.... this is it.

Good luck!

Hmm... two posts on the same subject in one morning, should have waited...

I am just back from my morning cycle (like that genius Stephen Dwyer I cycle 20 Km a day) with an extra thought or two. Hmm... Ironically, I took up cycling 4-5 years ago because I smoked too much and thought that I needed some cardio. To let you know, I already feel a difference after four months; when I return home I am panting as before, but not quite as much. Further, I don't have that 'burn' in my lungs anymore and good riddance! It is a small but noticeable difference, but something to look forward to.

Second thought is that I went to my dentist about three weeks ago for a check up. She put the... mirror thingy in my mouth to look around and pulled it out five seconds later and said "you stopped smoking". Wow! Granted, she is a dentist and thus knows a thing or two about the inside of a mouth, but that was shocking! It was that easy to tell, and made me feel a bit gross for the ciggies.

The third (and main) reason for two posts is to highlight the issue of cost/money raised by a previous poster; this was one of the most effective things I did to help stop. I decided to put a jar on my desk where I would see it for 6-8 hours a day, and I put the money that I would have spent in there. I used to smoke Winston Blue at 87 Baht a pack, two packs a day for 174 Baht a day. The first day wasn't much, but as I was struggling through my 4th or 5th day, it really helped to see those bills and coins which weren't going up in smoke (if you'll pardon the expression). Having a visual representation of the money I was saving helped; my "inner cheapness" took over and I felt pride that I didn't waste the money like before. According to my calculations, I have now saved just under 22,000 Baht. Bloody hell.

Finally, can I suggest that you come here (TVF) when things get tough? I find it very therapeutic to write all this out. The main reason for that is I have anonymity to be honest, and it is really good for me to see what I have written. When I am talking with friends, I NEVER admit that I smoked for 35 years or so. I NEVER admit I smoked 2 packs a day (I claimed one...) and I would NEVER admit that I have saved around 22,000 Baht. However, here where no one knows who I am...

Good luck!

I can't support the idea of Nicorette gum or the equivalent, it's just as addictive as cigarettes hence you're only moving the problem sideways, been there, done that.

The challenge is 95% psychological and 5% physical, the latter only for about fourteen days, as a result, you need a psychological response to solve the challenge. 

Hmm... two posts on the same subject in one morning, should have waited...

I am just back from my morning cycle (like that genius Stephen Dwyer I cycle 20 Km a day) with an extra thought or two. Hmm... Ironically, I took up cycling 4-5 years ago because I smoked too much and thought that I needed some cardio. To let you know, I already feel a difference after four months; when I return home I am panting as before, but not quite as much. Further, I don't have that 'burn' in my lungs anymore and good riddance! It is a small but noticeable difference, but something to look forward to.

Second thought is that I went to my dentist about three weeks ago for a check up. She put the... mirror thingy in my mouth to look around and pulled it out five seconds later and said "you stopped smoking". Wow! Granted, she is a dentist and thus knows a thing or two about the inside of a mouth, but that was shocking! It was that easy to tell, and made me feel a bit gross for the ciggies.

The third (and main) reason for two posts is to highlight the issue of cost/money raised by a previous poster; this was one of the most effective things I did to help stop. I decided to put a jar on my desk where I would see it for 6-8 hours a day, and I put the money that I would have spent in there. I used to smoke Winston Blue at 87 Baht a pack, two packs a day for 174 Baht a day. The first day wasn't much, but as I was struggling through my 4th or 5th day, it really helped to see those bills and coins which weren't going up in smoke (if you'll pardon the expression). Having a visual representation of the money I was saving helped; my "inner cheapness" took over and I felt pride that I didn't waste the money like before. According to my calculations, I have now saved just under 22,000 Baht. Bloody hell.

Finally, can I suggest that you come here (TVF) when things get tough? I find it very therapeutic to write all this out. The main reason for that is I have anonymity to be honest, and it is really good for me to see what I have written. When I am talking with friends, I NEVER admit that I smoked for 35 years or so. I NEVER admit I smoked 2 packs a day (I claimed one...) and I would NEVER admit that I have saved around 22,000 Baht. However, here where no one knows who I am...

Good luck!

I particularly like the “ putting money in a jar “ idea !, although probably not a new idea to occasionally work out how much you have saved you have taken it further by having a visual reminder of the money in front of you !! A great incentive and hopefully someone reading this thread who’s struggling will adopt this method with success !! ( and yes I do mean you GBK ).

As for the anonymity ? , don’t be silly we all know who you are !!

You are that guy zooming down the soi on his bike everyday with a big smile on his face .................. no, wait a minute, that’s me !! [emoji51]

I like the idea of the jar also, every time you have an urge to smoke just take a look at the jar - unless of course, your wife is anything like mine, in which case just think about the jar, don't actually look at it. Big sigh! 

Smoke a pipe 55 years. Lungs, heart great shape, says doc. I enjoy it, relieves stress, will never stop. Good for you stopping killer cigarettes. But what would the boys in the foxholes during WWII have done without them?

9 hours ago, Mac98 said:

Smoke a pipe 55 years. Lungs, heart great shape, says doc. I enjoy it, relieves stress, will never stop. Good for you stopping killer cigarettes. But what would the boys in the foxholes during WWII have done without them?

My Dad smoked a pipe (Three Nuns when I was a kid).

He gave up cigarettes for a pipe in his teens as he thought they slowed him down playing rugby.

In later years he still had a pipe with Edgeworth tobacco, but liked a good Cuban cigar (Romeo y Julieta).

When he died he had no diseases, just "worn out" as the doctor put it.

:thumbsup:

30 minutes ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

My Dad smoked a pipe (Three Nuns when I was a kid).

He gave up cigarettes for a pipe in his teens as he thought they slowed him down playing rugby.

In later years he still had a pipe with Edgeworth tobacco, but liked a good Cuban cigar (Romeo y Julieta).

When he died he had no diseases, just "worn out" as the doctor put it.

:thumbsup:

I get a quality cherry/almond blend in USA. Best tobacco in Thailand falls way short. On health, CDC reports life expectancy of a pipe smoker is the same as those who have never touched tobacco.

I stopped smoking on New Year’s Eve and it’s only been 22 days so far.i have been a smoker for 37 years I started when I was 17 and this is my first attempt to stop.the differences I have noticed so far is that I sleep better,I eat more,have more money in my pocket as smokes are expensive here in Australia.

35 minutes ago, KonKorat said:

I stopped smoking on New Year’s Eve and it’s only been 22 days so far.i have been a smoker for 37 years I started when I was 17 and this is my first attempt to stop.the differences I have noticed so far is that I sleep better,I eat more,have more money in my pocket as smokes are expensive here in Australia.

Congrats konKorat!

I must say that I have never really believed that anyone kept their New Year's resolutions (I broke all of mine), but I am glad that I am being shown mistaken.

It sounds like we are quite similar; I truly hope that both of us make it through the long haul.

Keep at it, and come back to this thread as things progress... and I will as well.

Cheers

1 hour ago, KonKorat said:

Be careful of the waste line, many people gain quite a bit of weight when they stop, including me! Nicotine speeds up the metabolism, best to either watch how much you eat or do more exercise

On 21/01/2018 at 6:52 AM, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Oh dear my heart bleeds for you. How you must have suffered horribly.

Grow up, she didn't light up. How many sweaty BO overweight non smokers have you sat next to?

:violin:

No never sweaty. Planes are iceboxes one has to wear a jacket. BO yes. Some people can't do anything about it I think,  it seems to be genetic. Last year once a man ACROSS the aisle smelled so bad I had to put the blanket over my head. When you are near a real stinker the plane is always full too. Bummer.

Smokers foul odour of clothes, body, and breath is due to choice. A lifestyle choice that causes trouble for others.

17 hours ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

No never sweaty. Planes are iceboxes one has to wear a jacket. BO yes. Some people can't do anything about it I think,  it seems to be genetic. Last year once a man ACROSS the aisle smelled so bad I had to put the blanket over my head. When you are near a real stinker the plane is always full too. Bummer.

Smokers foul odour of clothes, body, and breath is due to choice. A lifestyle choice that causes trouble for others.

Intolerance of other people's life choice is not allowed these days, or are not aware of PC?

:cheesy:

There are many things to despise but, even the worst, Islamic terror, I am more likely to be hit by lightning actually. It is the clouds of stinking tobacco smoke and foul odours that actually assault me everyday so I hereby reserve the right to be resplendently INTOLERANT of the “smokers” who insist on foisting it on all and sundry as a god given right.

As for the PC ninnies as of December 22, 2017 I am officially retired. There is nothing more they can take from me. I no longer “give a fig”.

Good on the OP! His addiction a personal issue but by remaining smoke free in public will help create a comfortable environment for those who are caused to be troubled by tobacco’s offensive smell.

• 1 month later...

My dad was a chain smoker for 40 years.  When he was 70 he was pissing blood.  After a week he finally went to the doctor. Got diagnosed with bladder cancer on Friday, doctor said must operate on Monday.  Apparently bladder cancer is easily cut out, but if it gets into the blood and spreads it is like lethal.  Dad stopped smoking cold turkey.  Surgery was routine and in two weeks he was up and about and back to buttering toast in the restaurant in the kitchen.  Sadly about 10 years later the years of damage started taking their toll and he needed an oxygen helper.  It got worse and he couldn't walk up stairs, we had to install one of those chair lifts.  He lived 18 years after that surgery.  

One thing he said was how much more flavorful food and drinks were.  I can imagine that.  Hot smoke covering up and dulling taste buds.

Don't smoke. It benefits nobody except the tobacco companies and distributors.  If nervous, buy some worry beads, popular in the middle east, bite your finger nails, chew on plastic toothpicks, or whatever.  Try to address and attack and resolve whatever it is that makes you nervous.  Habits are habits and they can be broker.

Kudos to you. Live well.

One exercise I have heard that helps some people is while not smoking, every day put the amount of money one cig pack costs into the clear transparent cookie jar.  Keep doing that.  No exceptions.  Don't skip a single <deleted> day or week.  Every week take stock of the cash in there.  It may surprise you.

Or do the same thing with your online bank accounts.  My primary bank is Etrade so I would move $10 every day from the checking to my Money market or to my savings account.  Won't take long to reach 1,000 bucks.  Then push that to your Roth IRA or just go get a soapy massage, or a whole week's worth of oil massages. 

Best wishes.

Archived