Thai.....learning the language ??

StewB1

Ok so I have challenged myself to try and get at least a start of a basic understanding of the Thai language. This will be remotely until my next trip back.

Looking for some help with direction to the best resources to help me better comprehend what is being said and maybe work on speaking also.

Specifically I am looking for MP3 downloadable info so that I can listen while I sleep as I have used this method in past with Spanish and helped my comprehension significantly.

Any and all info specific to my request is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

3 hours ago, StewB1 said:

Thank-you for the responses much appreciated

Hi Tonray,

If you recall is it the Pimsleur approach gold edition that you are referring to ?

No...they only have 30 audio lessons (and maybe an app now) for Thai...I hope they do an advanced series at some point because by far their methods were the most effective and I tried quite a few others.

http://www.pimsleur.com/learn-thai

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 3:10 PM, tonray said:

No...they only have 30 audio lessons (and maybe an app now) for Thai...I hope they do an advanced series at some point because by far their methods were the most effective and I tried quite a few others.

http://www.pimsleur.com/learn-thai

They are indeed the best, Pimsleur, that is. I have covered the 30 lessons more than a dozen times. You learn basic stuff and become Thai literate, that's all. If more lessons were provided of the same level, covering other aspects, family, work,etc  then the prospect of learning Thai is a real one. The situation as it is now is like eating an  excellent appetizer with no main course following. I have  posted on a number of occasions to pimsleur that we need part 2. They politely refused. I was really surprised how far these 30 lessons carry me when confronted with real situations while I am in Thailand. It is not enough, however. It must be said that the method is mostly used to teach one how to speak. I am sure learning to read cannot be achieved outside a classroom

Archived