Baitcasting vs Spinning

robblok

4 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Thanks for that. He has other rods that he used when trying out baitcasting. Thanks for the link, I will look for a lightweight spinning reel... or rather tell mum to get him one! He's already clued up on the braided line, swivels and lures, just needs the new reel for now and see how far he gets.

Yes just get him a light spinning reel, just look at line capacity for 20-30 lb braid. Then you can't really go wrong. The price of the reel depends of course a bit on the quality. Big range there.  

• 3 months later...

I almost always prefer to use conventional reels at Bungsamran when fishing for the Pla Beuks. I just prefer it more and dont really mind dealing with the occasional birds nest, but as I get more used to the reel it happens less and less. Recently I got the FC Monster Mariner IV and that rod is way more suited for new BSR than the first 3 Mariners (all of them were 5’ while the new one is 5’6”) and casts further, I have the III and IV and tested it side by side.  (they designed this rod specifically for this pond). The spiral guides are a nice bonus.  The reel I use is a Penn Fathom 30 Lever Drag 2 Speed with 80lb mono backing, 50lb braid mainline, and 7-8 meters of 60lb mono top shot (the mono after the float helps sink the braid). 

I recently got a spinning set up to use with my girlfriend. FC monster H20 with a Penn Slammer III reel. She already knows how to fish so thats awesome, she just wont bother learning to use an overhead reel. She prefers sea fishing from a boat and the shrimp pond fishing with ultra-light Chinglew-style tackle, but recently shes  expressed interest in trying out BSR properly. Had also been thinking of a good spinning setup but havent found a reason to pull the trigger until this. 

Oh and how the Thais afford those high end Accurate reels? Credit Card debt and they sell it off to pay off the debt when they cant afford to finance it anymore...and end up getting a much cheaper and durable reel... or stop completely when the wife considers it too “bhaab”. 

My Grandfather started me out on a Zebco closed-face "coffee grinder", then spinning reels.  I got into bait casters in my early teens when I hung around/fished with guys who were into tournament Bass fishing - my dream reel was an ABU Garcia.  One of the adult Bass fishing guys finally took pity and gave me one of his older Shimanos, which I still have. 

I began working as a deckhand on sport fishing boats in Jr. High School, that's where I learned to handle conventionals, and then the really big gear for the 2-day Rock Cod trips in the wintertime.    After a lot of practice, I could heave an iron as well as fly line a fat sardine into the kelp beds with a Penn Squidder.   That was a long time ago though, lol.

All my gear is here in Thailand but I don't fish much (up country), don't like the parks, and nobody in my social circle likes to fish.   I have had some enjoyable times over in Kanchanaburi though, I really like light spinning gear with small Rapallas and Rooster Tails for Jungle Perch/Hampla Barb.

On 8/16/2018 at 4:02 PM, 55Jay said:

My Grandfather started me out on a Zebco closed-face "coffee grinder", then spinning reels.  I got into bait casters in my early teens when I hung around/fished with guys who were into tournament Bass fishing - my dream reel was an ABU Garcia.  One of the adult Bass fishing guys finally took pity and gave me one of his older Shimanos, which I still have. 

I began working as a deckhand on sport fishing boats in Jr. High School, that's where I learned to handle conventionals, and then the really big gear for the 2-day Rock Cod trips in the wintertime.    After a lot of practice, I could heave an iron as well as fly line a fat sardine into the kelp beds with a Penn Squidder.   That was a long time ago though, lol.

All my gear is here in Thailand but I don't fish much (up country), don't like the parks, and nobody in my social circle likes to fish.   I have had some enjoyable times over in Kanchanaburi though, I really like light spinning gear with small Rapallas and Rooster Tails for Jungle Perch/Hampla Barb.

Lol for better or for worse, you really remind me of my dad with your last paragraph (RIP to my old man). He really loved to go fishing in Kanchannaburi (Purposely misspelled. I always associate Kanchanaburi with Snakeheads aka scientific name Channa). 

I still remember going on a boat in the Srinakarin reservoir. Nobody caught anything that day, not even the guides. On the cruise back to the resort, my dad asked them to drive the boat slower and he trolled two spoons behind the boat (dont know how far I just remember that it was almost half a spool of the Penn 210 in the water). All the guides kept saying “mai dai alai lokk”(you’re not gonna catch anything), but they werent gonna say no to a 200 baht tip from a farang fisherman. 

Anyways about 10 minutes in and the reel screamed. He fought and pulled in a HUGE Hampala Barb weighing at 7 kilos (weighed it), and another one which was almost 5 kilos. The guides were in disbelief. Whole way back they were talking about how they gotta try trolling lures. 

17 minutes ago, HoudiniXLogic said:

Lol for better or for worse, you really remind me of my dad with your last paragraph (RIP to my old man). He really loved to go fishing in Kanchannaburi (Purposely misspelled. I always associate Kanchanaburi with Snakeheads aka scientific name Channa). 

I still remember going on a boat in the Srinakarin reservoir. Nobody caught anything that day, not even the guides. On the cruise back to the resort, my dad asked them to drive the boat slower and he trolled two spoons behind the boat (dont know how far I just remember that it was almost half a spool of the Penn 210 in the water). All the guides kept saying “mai dai alai lokk”(you’re not gonna catch anything), but they werent gonna say no to a 200 baht tip from a farang fisherman. 

Anyways about 10 minutes in and the reel screamed. He fought and pulled in a HUGE Hampala Barb weighing at 7 kilos (weighed it), and another one which was almost 5 kilos. The guides were in disbelief. Whole way back they were talking about how they gotta try trolling lures. 

Ha ha, that's great!   I fished a large reservoir there once.  Other than 1 fish early morning having a go at my Roostertail, nada. 

Otherwise, we put kayaks in a few miles upstream from town (but not as far as the dam).  I drag a small Rapalla off the back of the Yak and maneuver in the deeper runs parallel overhanging bushes/trees, and had a few JP tear it up.

After I commented on this thread the other day, motivated me to get off my ass and visit a small, somewhat hidden pond near the house again.  Crawdad Roostertail worked well in the past, but they went for the Rapalla this time - really little guys though, 4 to 6 inches, attacking a 1.5" lure.  LOL.  

This pond does my head in.  Ringed with cattails, it screams Largemouth Bass territory like my former freshwater lakes in California.  Nice spot at dusk.

S_8441571573766.jpg.7e53c000915d6f870dfac23638011780.jpg

S_8441572806403.thumb.jpg.d55afc5e3784d632490f2870d15d9e8d.jpg

5 hours ago, 55Jay said:

Ha ha, that's great!   I fished a large reservoir there once.  Other than 1 fish early morning having a go at my Roostertail, nada. 

Otherwise, we put kayaks in a few miles upstream from town (but not as far as the dam).  I drag a small Rapalla off the back of the Yak and maneuver in the deeper runs parallel overhanging bushes/trees, and had a few JP tear it up.

After I commented on this thread the other day, motivated me to get off my ass and visit a small, somewhat hidden pond near the house again.  Crawdad Roostertail worked well in the past, but they went for the Rapalla this time - really little guys though, 4 to 6 inches, attacking a 1.5" lure.  LOL.  

This pond does my head in.  Ringed with cattails, it screams Largemouth Bass territory like my former freshwater lakes in California.  Nice spot at dusk.

S_8441571573766.jpg.7e53c000915d6f870dfac23638011780.jpg

S_8441572806403.thumb.jpg.d55afc5e3784d632490f2870d15d9e8d.jpg

Lovely lake!! My moms compound in Rangsit has a lake there thats stocked with a bunch of aquarium dumps from the tenants in the mooban. When I was younger, all the guards were cool with me fishing in front of the “no fishing” sign. Once I was around 16 they werent ok with it anymore....a new head guard came and tried to take my rod (which I refused) and that was the end of that. 

TBH I never fell in love with LM Bass fishing....probably because I found the beauty in trout fishing first. I cant see a stream without thinking about fishing in Colorado. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/19/2018 at 7:43 PM, HoudiniXLogic said:

Lovely lake!! My moms compound in Rangsit has a lake there thats stocked with a bunch of aquarium dumps from the tenants in the mooban. When I was younger, all the guards were cool with me fishing in front of the “no fishing” sign. Once I was around 16 they werent ok with it anymore....a new head guard came and tried to take my rod (which I refused) and that was the end of that. 

TBH I never fell in love with LM Bass fishing....probably because I found the beauty in trout fishing first. I cant see a stream without thinking about fishing in Colorado. 

Bummer.  Guard tried to take your gear?  Cheeky!  

The lake/pond in that photo is the last vestiges of what the whole area used to look like before Mr. Hom (of HomeGarden fame) turned it into a massive moo baan.   I reckon it'll be filled in and have houses on it in 5-10 years.  ?

This fishing forum chat is helping to get me motivated again.   Pulled my old belly boat out of the box it's been in for at least 10 years.  Pumped it up, held air solid for past few days, so it's going to get a float test in that pond next; explore the far side that's out of casting distance.

S_8441915439904.jpg.e8f94d60438f45d4e85d61886eaa05ec.jpg

Archived