Bangkok's Somali refugees persecuted and living in fear

rooster59

by Alastair G.M

d3e74cb6a9cb4d549bab32e21716cd16_18.jpg

Five men share this tiny studio apartment and immigration officials regularly raid their building [Alastair G M/Al Jazeera]

Bangkok, Thailand - "I've never experienced cold like this," says RK, a 19-year-old Somali refugee, as he sits in a downtown Bangkok alley one December morning.

It is 20 degrees, and opposite is the Suan Phlu Immigration Detention Center, an office building concealing thousands of undocumented migrants.

It is a stone's throw from Bangkok's gregarious tourist district, and RK's wife and nine-month-old daughter are being held inside.

"They kicked my door down and took my family when I was away," RK says, referring to an immigration raid at his home three months earlier, as part of a crackdown on undocumented migrants.

The UN's refugee agency, UNHCR, told Al Jazeera that Bangkok is home to a growing community of approximately 4,500 refugees and 2,000 asylum-seekers from more than 50 countries.

Full story: http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/features/bangkok-somali-refugees-persecuted-living-fear-180120094817942.html

Al Jazeera: 2018-01-21

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hesitate to say this but the Somali and Ethiopian problems are the result of well intentioned Western aid. The popular “feed the World” campaign certainly saved a lot of lives but also raised a generation that was severely damaged physically and mentally. This produced a generation that knew no love or stability and the current problems in Australia and many other parts of the world reflects this.

It seems that their whole society lives with and accepts violence as being part of their upbringing and they carry it with them wherever they go.

Maybe we in the better off countries should stop interfering, but can we live with no conscience.

12 minutes ago, PJPom said:

It seems that their whole society lives with and accepts violence as being part of their upbringing and they carry it with them wherever they go.

Well it looked like he had left it behind him :

"Three years earlier, when he was 16 years old, he fled Mogadishu, the Somali capital, after his father was killed in an al-Shabab car bomb attack."

But no, the Thai authorities were happy to oblige with some more :

"They kicked my door down and took my family when I was away," RK says, referring to an immigration raid at his home three months earlier"

Perhaps you'd like to call round and punch him in the face so he feels more "at home" and to confirm your prejudice?

36 minutes ago, PJPom said:

I hesitate to say this but the Somali and Ethiopian problems are the result of well intentioned Western aid. The popular “feed the World” campaign certainly saved a lot of lives but also raised a generation that was severely damaged physically and mentally. This produced a generation that knew no love or stability and the current problems in Australia and many other parts of the world reflects this.

Maybe we in the better off countries should stop interfering, but can we live with no conscience.

So true and yet so politically incorrect.

I actually thought the heading was around the wrong way - am an Aussie and I know what you mean.  Headline Fixed:

"Bangkok's Somali refugees persecute and have Thais living in fear."

It is time the western world learned to stay out of Africa - ignore UN khraapp and 'saving souls' NGOs.  When/if their cultures and societies accept our western values and morals, then and only then should we get involved. 

1 hour ago, PJPom said:

In general the 'help' arrives at the time when the point of repairing damage done by starvation has past.

Nature's way is interfered with by probably well intentioned people who just can't see the damage for the future they are causing.

Nature will eventually find a way that circumvents all the 'good intentions' and it will have a world wide effect.

Ship them to Europe we will give them free houses, free monthly 900 euros a month till rest of their life, free passport, free medical, free lawyers and lateron they may bring over all their family members.. because they are refugees so that what we need to do...Read they above if anyone still wonder why they keep coming..

Meanwhile there no money for our elderly but who cares.

2 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Ship them to Europe we will give them free houses, free monthly 900 euros a month till rest of their life, free passport, free medical, free lawyers and lateron they may bring over all their family members.. because they are refugees so that what we need to do...Read they above if anyone still wonder why they keep coming..

you have no clue about how migrants are treated in Europe, this is right wing bs. And why is there no money for the elderly? Of course, it is because of poor working class people from other countries, nothing to do with the banks, ceos and rampant neo-liberal policies

2 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Please add Australia to the lucky country for refugees !

11 minutes ago, PremiumLane said:

you have no clue about how migrants are treated in Europe, this is right wing bs. And why is there no money for the elderly? Of course, it is because of poor working class people from other countries, nothing to do with the banks, ceos and rampant neo-liberal policies

Not sure about Europe but sure as hell I see and know how they are treated in Australia ! Bloody very well !!!!!!

58 minutes ago, Oziex1 said:

If the Thai authorities don't like or trust African refugees why have they allowed them to stay. If you want them here then offer some support.

You mean similar to the areas where one person decides to feed the two pigeons in their garden. Soon the area is over-run with hundreds of the bloody things just making a mess everywhere.

Controversial to say it, but they should stay in their own countries and sort them out even if it means sacrificing yourself. Many countries have civil wars and countless have lost their lives to make these great safe countries that every hard luck case thinks they are entitled to enter and leech off. Sure, women and children should be entertained till they can be safely returned but military aged fit men should stop being cowards and save their countries instead of just running away like pussies. Shameful.

4 minutes ago, Sir Dude said:

Controversial to say it, but they should stay in their own countries and sort them out even if it means sacrificing yourself. Many countries have civil wars and countless have lost their lives to make these great safe countries that every hard luck case thinks they are entitled to enter and leech off. Sure, women and children should be entertained till they can be safely returned but military aged fit men should stop being cowards and save their countries instead of just running away like pussies. Shameful.

And yet, throughout history, patterns in human migration have been largely influenced by folk escaping war... interesting that

34 minutes ago, Sir Dude said:

Your post is the most shameful thing I've read today.

Unless it was sarcasm, which I am hoping it is.

1 hour ago, farcanell said:

Indeed... problems problems problems.

i had to give the Somali taxi driver directions, on my last visit to Perth.

problems indeed!

must have been a horrible experience. hope you got over that trauma. :unsure:

Wait a minute. What in the hell are they doing in Thailand with no Visa? I don't do it now but for 32 years I jumped through all the immigration hoops and checked in when I was supposed to, made the expensive trips to Laos from Pattaya to get my next 90 days. I am fortunate that I married a Filippina and now get a one year "Visa" upon passing immigration called a Balikbayan. Why are the Thai Authorities not deporting these people? They have been broadcasting to all us Expats the penalties for going "overstay" including deportation and banning for different periods of time. This just does not seem fair to all the Expat Friends I left in Thailand.

2 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

Nice try, but this is exactly how they are treated in many places in Europe. In Sweden, for example, many elderly can only watch as their teeth rot in their mouths because they can't afford dental care. At the same time, illegal immigrants have full access to dental care for about 100 baht.

Want more examples? What about people getting pushed aside in the crowded apartment queues because the government are snatching the apartments away so that immigrants can live in them for free?

It goes without saying that if you spend billions of dollars on one group of people, that money naturally has to be taken from somewhere else in the budget.

These are facts, not "right-wing propaganda" or whatever BS term you want to use to sweep the truth under the carpet. I can't for the love  of me understand why some of you are son insistent in closing your eyes. No, immigrants are of course not responsible for everything bad i western society, but they sure as hell represent a huge problem that people who have worked all their lives have to pay for, when they should be enjoying the autumn of their years.

An off topic troll post has been reported and has now been removed, along with replies, topic is about 

5 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Angela Merkel will welcome them. Germany invests in the "future" and cuts budgets for elderly, disabled, and folks in need of help. Visited Germany not long ago. Germans are being outnumbered in certain parts of the country. 

Bangkok has several NGOs and expat ladies groups which keep the illegals fed and healthy. 

Archived