Bangkok Air Pollution

JimShorts

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

How come the numbers on your app is much higher than  reported here: http://aqicn.org/city/bangkok/

Different unit?

Every country has different AQI. Numbers stay the same. But indicators as in green, yellow, red, brown differs. This app shows the latest time the AQI. Most of them are updated in real time too. It’s called AirVisual. The index I showed was the result yesterday at 5pm with the US AQI. The index as In this morning at 8am is 162 in Bangkok and still 828 in Nakhon Ratchasima. Friend who lives in khao Yai said the past two days have been totally foggy. So that confirms that the farmers are doing their job. 

E5916FF6-DC1F-4CD3-9B63-A2EECAD94282.png

6B8CF3CB-0302-455C-9D09-83FEB0BE8C05.png

Yes, a HEPA filter is good for the home, I have 4 at my house. However, many people can not afford them. Also it does help the people outside, commuting to/from work, working on the streets, etc. More importantly it does not help the most susceptible group, children, who are still going to school and playing outside for a good part of their school day. The health impact on children is much greater then on adults, especially during physical exertion. 

We are talking about a health epidemic here. Millions of people being exposed to poison 24/7.

The main problem is the lack of transparency and information. Schools should be shut down, cars on the streets should be limited (especially big trucks, busses etc.). Enforcing emissions laws should top priority. The lack of transparency and information, means the general population is not aware and therefor not only are they more negatively impacted. I am sure if people actually understood what is happening something would be done about it. 

What few news blurbs I have seen about it, are very light on the facts. The official response seems to be along the lines of blaming the weather, as opposed to the cause. 

12 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

If I liked

sitting outside I wouldn't choose to live in Bangkok.

If i liked to live with all windows closed i would stay in Europe. 

We always have windows open here in the moobaan unless it's very hot but now it's 27 and perfect weather.

Also we don't have to mop the floor from black dust like we had to when living in a condo along a busy road.

1 hour ago, JimShorts said:

The main problem is the lack of transparency and information

The main problem is the lack of wind and far too many people living in BKK who all won't use public transport.

In Tokyo there's no traffic jam and even big trucks are very silent/clean. Subways there are superbusy though.

33 minutes ago, Thian said:

The main problem is the lack of wind and far too many people living in BKK who all won't use public transport.

In Tokyo there's no traffic jam and even big trucks are very silent/clean. Subways there are superbusy though.

The wind should not be a factor. Air pollution exists with or without wind. The source of the problem must be dealt with. Wind, rain and temperature can not be relied on to clean the air as all they do is move the toxins into other areas of the eco-system. 

Yes many large cities have populations similiar to Bangkok, without the extreme air pollution. Public transportation here is really lacking. 

None-the-less information is lacking. If people understood the health impacts of sitting in traffic for hours everyday, they would not do it. I think people think they are safe from the pollution when inside their car, which is not true, rather the opposite. Inside a car on a busy street is often more polluted then walking down the sidewalk. 

People are just not informed. 

Imagine if an official announcement was made stating that kids should not go outside. Adults should not go outside unless absolutely necessary. Everyone should be wearing a mask, even in a car and at home unless they have HEPA filters. This would change the situation.

11 minutes ago, JimShorts said:

The wind should not be a factor. Air pollution exists with or without wind. The source of the problem must be dealt with. Wind, rain and temperature can not be relied on to clean the air as all they do is move the toxins into other areas of the eco-system. 

Yes many large cities have populations similiar to Bangkok, without the extreme air pollution. Public transportation here is really lacking. 

None-the-less information is lacking. If people understood the health impacts of sitting in traffic for hours everyday, they would not do it. I think people think they are safe from the pollution when inside their car, which is not true, rather the opposite. Inside a car on a busy street is often more polluted then walking down the sidewalk. 

Imagine if an official announcement was made stating that kids should not go outside. Adults should not go outside unless absolutely necessary. Everyone should be wearing a mask, even in a car and at home unless they have HEPA filters. That it is more dangerous in a car then outside of a car. This would change the situation.

2 hours ago, JimShorts said:

Imagine if an official announcement was made stating that kids should not go outside. Adults should not go outside unless absolutely necessary. Everyone should be wearing a mask, even in a car and at home unless they have HEPA filters. This would change the situation.

How can wind not help to bring in fresh clean air? I don't get it. The reason i smell smoke from fires is because there's no wind...and that lowclass somchai is burning wood to keep warm of course.

And in the car i don't smell anything, even not the smelly fuming trucks which are all oldtimers. Cars have ozone purifiers onboard. They could also use HEPA filters in the car though but i have never heard of that, why is that?

What also would help is if Thailand developed more large cities instead of only BKK. And even in BKK they all have to work in the same area's where they can't live or can't afford it.

One day the citycentre must be soo clogged up that they can't do any business at all anyore and hopefully have to start moving to area's with more space. But i don't see that happen in BKK. 

Also building more parks probably won't happen since land is far too expensive downtown.

BKK also has far too many small shops and markets which creates a lot of traffic for small shoppings. Especially markets cause a lot of trafficjam but the Thai don't mind and will wait untill they can find an empty spot to park the car. 

It would also help if they used motobikes instead of cars but also that's not gonna happen.

So nothing will change and they will all sit many hours in the car every day again...and when they get holiday they drive upcountry or take a plane out of the hell...

3 hours ago, JimShorts said:

You seem to be forgetting the fact that air quality now is much better than it was 30 years ago. I've been in Bangkok for over a decade and it's always had smoggy days. I think you're over-dramatising things slightly.

1 minute ago, edwardandtubs said:

You seem to be forgetting the fact that air quality now is much better than it was 30 years ago. I've been in Bangkok for over a decade and it's always had smoggy days. I think you're over-dramatising things slightly.

Good point. Street level pollution in Bangkok was much worse 20 years ago, before the word emission control were even invented and 2-stroke motorcycles were common.

I'm sorry, but this year's air quality is the worst I've seen in 10 years in BKK.  And its going on longer.

I've never seen so many bad air days in a row like this year.  We had a respite for a few days and we're

back in the shiite again.  Windows have been closed for 2 days now and my nose is still going crazy.

1 minute ago, LALes said:

I'm sorry, but this year's air quality is the worst I've seen in 10 years in BKK.  And its going on longer.

I've never seen so many bad air days in a row like this year.  We had a respite for a few days and we're

back in the shiite again.  Windows have been closed for 2 days now and my nose is still going crazy.

Where in Bangkok are you located?

I can see a crystal blue sky now, but there certainly is a low hanging haze over the city.

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 1:45 PM, Thian said:

If all those people who use cars suddenly used public transport don't you think the pollution from all the extra public transport that would be necessary would cancel out your perceived advantage of public transport?

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 4:31 PM, Thian said:

How can wind not help to bring in fresh clean air? I don't get it. The reason i smell smoke from fires is because there's no wind...and that lowclass somchai is burning wood to keep warm of course.

"...and that lowclass somchai is burning wood to keep warm of course."

Of course, what an inconsiderate bastard he is.  Your empathy for the less well off knows no bounds.

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 10:29 AM, LALes said:

Crystal blue sky???  You gotta be dreaming.  Are you looking straight up?

I'm in the Nana area.  Its gray as far as I can see.

What's wrong with a grey sky, it's clouds that cause that, you know, water vapour?

Air scrubber filters are very effective at removing particles in the air. If we could get people to throw water in the air this pollution problem would be solved in a matter of days.

We could even have people sitting on the back of pick-up truck using buckets to throw water or equip them with some sort of water container with a pump and they could spray water while they walk around.

I know, silly idea. It will be impossible to get a whole nation to do this at the same time.

2 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Air scrubber filters are very effective at removing particles in the air. If we could get people to throw water in the air this pollution problem would be solved in a matter of days.

We could even have people sitting on the back of pick-up truck using buckets to throw water or equip them with some sort of water container with a pump and they could spray water while they walk around.

I know, silly idea. It will be impossible to get a whole nation to do this at the same time.

So a few watersprayers on the high buildings and the whole issue is solved...? Thailand can do....no ploblem.

16 hours ago, Crossy said:

From the 6th floor of our office at Mo Chit we can just see the outline of the Baiyoke tower 6km away, pretty murky.

When we had our condo in Bangkadi we could often see the tower 25km away.

I doubt you will even be able to see Baiyoke this morning. Looks like less than 3-4 km of visibility this morning.

Pretty grim if it stays like this for the rest of the month. We need some wind soon.

1 minute ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

I doubt you will even be able to see Baiyoke this morning. Looks like less than 3-4 km of visibility this morning.

Nope, not even a shadow of the beast.

It's difficult to work out what I can see, Baiyoke is very distinctive. I can just see the Paolo Memorial Hospital about 1.5km away there are shadows behind it but I can't tie up with the map.

1 hour ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

The haze soup of February 8th 2018 vs. a normal day in 2017.

AA1.jpg

AA2.jpg

That golfcourse should be planted with loads of (fruit)tree's so it becomes a green lung for the city. If the tree's are tall enough they can still play golf underneath and even have shade.

Archived