Bangkok Air Pollution

JimShorts

17 minutes ago, utalkin2me said:

I wouldn’t mind trying the Filtrete sheets. I take it I cut them to size? Any recommended vendor where I’ll be able to find them? Thanks. 

Homepro has it. Buy this stuff in the coming green season and it's half the price.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, SoilSpoil said:

Homepro has it. Buy this stuff in the coming green season and it's half the price.

HomePro does, and that's where I bought mine initially from.

But later, I found better prices from the 3M Official Store on Lazada, at least when they're having their buy one, get one free promotion. And that includes free delivery to your home, saving a trip.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/1-1-filtrete-roll-pack-15x96-15-x-96-i204698444-s309061449.html

And yes, the sheets can be cut with just a regular scissor to fit whatever filter size you need. And the package comes with little small adhesive strips to stick the Filtrete sheets to the front surface of your air con unit's permanent filters.

BTW, just a bit of experience about using them. The first time I installed them on my indoor air con filters was BEFORE I got an air purifier at home. So the first time, the Filtrete sheets were dirty gray and needing replacement within a week. But after that, and keeping the windows closed here in BKK, now they last much longer and don't get as dirty. Because they're only filtering the reasonably clean air inside, and not having to filter the dirty air directly from outside.

16 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

But later, I found better prices from the 3M Official Store on Lazada, at least when they're having their buy one, get one free promotion. And that includes free delivery to your home, saving a trip.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/1-1-filtrete-roll-pack-15x96-15-x-96-i204698444-s309061449.html

And yes, the sheets can be cut with just a regular scissor to fit whatever filter size you need. And the package comes with little small adhesive strips to stick the Filtrete sheets to the front surface of your air con unit's permanent filters.

BTW, just a bit of experience about using them. The first time I installed them on my indoor air con filters was BEFORE I got an air purifier at home. So the first time, the Filtrete sheets were dirty gray and needing replacement within a week. But after that, and keeping the windows closed here in BKK, now they last much longer and don't get as dirty. Because they're only filtering the reasonably clean air inside, and not having to filter the dirty air directly from outside.

Thank you guys. I’m gonna get some of these. 

8 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

How should the filtrete sheets face? Should the rough or smooth surface face the air flow or it doesn't really matter?

1 hour ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

How should the filtrete sheets face? Should the rough or smooth surface face the air flow or it doesn't really matter?

The ones I get look to me pretty much the same on both sides, AFAIK.

But I've read elsewhere that the rough surface should face the incoming air, and the smooth surface should be up against your permanent filter.

11 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

One solution to that, of course, is to do what I did, and shell out $40 or $50 to buy a PM2.5 sensor for your home.

I guess I have to do that , do you know if Lazada sell them ? 

17 minutes ago, balo said:

I guess I have to do that , do you know if Lazada sell them ? 

I bought mine from Aliexpress for $45-46, but the same Sndway model is also available at a higher price from Lazada. I'm very pleased with the model I got, and in fact, just now ordered a second unit.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/sndway-digital-led-air-quality-monitor-pm25-detector-temperature-humidity-meter-intl-i172085377-s307358729.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Air-Quality-Monitor-Mini-Laser-PM2-5-Monitor-Wall-mounted-Inovafitness-PM2-5-Detector-Gas-monitor/32826759103.html

This is another model that some folks here have bought:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/xiaomi-pm25-detector-i104356149-s104876527.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-Xiaomi-Mijia-PM2-5-Detector-Xiaomi-Air-Quality-Tester-OLED-Screen-Smart-Sensor-Smart-Control/32808634967.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------

On either site, there are usually multiple sellers of the same item at different prices. And on Lazada, sometimes the seller is local in Thailand, and sometimes outside the country like in China or Hong Kong. So it pays to check around, decide what model you want, and then find the best price/location for your needs.

42 minutes ago, balo said:

I've seen it, but don't know I can say much. No ratings at all on Lazada, shipping from overseas, and the same price or a bit more than the Sndway model.... So it's really not any less expensive at that price.

When shopping, I looked at various models that had multi-function capability -- PM 10, PM 1, CO2, formaldehyde, etc etc. And they tended to have cluttered LCD displays that put up all that info on the display screen.

Whereas in Thailand, really, the main, overriding air pollution concern is PM2.5 -- not all the other things. That's where the highest, most troublesome levels are occurring. So in the end, I decided I wanted to get a unit that just showed me the PM2.5 data, and had a nice clear display that I could see from across the room, whether in bed or sitting at my desk working.

But obviously, everyone has their own ideas and preferences.

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I've seen it, but don't know I can say much. No ratings at all on Lazada, shipping from overseas, and the same price or a bit more than the Sndway model.... So it's really not any less expensive at that price.

When shopping, I looked at various models that had multi-function capability -- PM 10, PM 1, CO2, formaldehyde, etc etc. And they tended to have cluttered LCD displays that put up all that info on the display screen.

Whereas in Thailand, really, the main, overriding air pollution concern is PM2.5 -- not all the other things. That's where the highest, most troublesome levels are occurring. So in the end, I decided I wanted to get a unit that just showed me the PM2.5 data, and had a nice clear display that I could see from across the room, whether in bed or sitting at my desk working.

But obviously, everyone has their own ideas and preferences.

It would be helpful to see pm1 data as the smaller the particle, the more harmful to your health. It would be interesting to see how well a cheaper air purifier like your Sharp does with those particles.

12 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

But obviously, everyone has their own ideas and preferences

I just ordered the SNDWAY that everyone seem to recommend . I got it for 1784 baht on Lazada  only 300 baht difference compared to Ali Express.

But the good thing I don't have to pay until it arrives (COD) .  

2 minutes ago, balo said:

I just ordered the SNDWAY that everyone seem to recommend . I got it for 1784 baht on Lazada  only 300 baht difference compared to Ali Express.

You should have ordered it on the smartphone app and got a 7% discount.

14 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

You should have ordered it on the smartphone app and got a 7% discount.

I used a one-time discount code on my Samsung to use on Lazada a few months ago , don't think I can use it several times. Unless there are other codes out there.

22 minutes ago, balo said:

I used a one-time discount code on my Samsung to use on Lazada a few months ago , don't think I can use it several times. Unless there are other codes out there.

Codes are almost always available for everyone, including this one. Basically, you should never buy anything from Lazada without a code or you're subsidising those who do use a code.

42 minutes ago, balo said:

Good deal...

Just fyi, I ordered mine via Aliexpress, as I mentioned, and paid with a home country credit card. My item arrived on-time and in perfect condition from the manufacturer's own online store.  But had there been any problem, I simply would have disputed the charge with my credit card company, and would have ended up OK one way or another.

12 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Good deal...

Just fyi, I ordered mine via Aliexpress, as I mentioned, and paid with a home country credit card. My item arrived on-time and in perfect condition from the manufacturer's own online store.  But had there been any problem, I simply would have disputed the charge with my credit card company, and would have ended up OK one way or another.

AliExpress has its own buyer protection policies which are very effective. They hold the money until delivery so if it's not delivered you will be refunded. 

I don't think credit card companies would help unless it was an obvious case of fraud.

5 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

AliExpress has its own buyer protection policies which are very effective. I don't think credit card companies would help unless it was an obvious case of fraud.

You don't know the consumer protection rules for U.S. credit card issuers.... In cases where the merchant fails to deliver the product or delivers a defective product and fails to replace it at their cost, the card company would reverse/cancel the original charge.

But as I noted above, my Aliexpress order from the Sndway company store was handled without incident.

30 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

I wouldn't have too much faith in the US banking system if I were you.

It is actually really easy to cancel a charge via chargeback. The irony is scammers use chargebacks as a weapon, and also totally legit services get chargebacks from nowhere. It’s a total joke I think chargebacks do way more harm than good. Get this, chargebacks actually cost the npvendor money... so you can deliver a perfectly fine product to someone, they do a chargeback and the bank charges the vendor a chargeback fee. It’s such a joke; which bring me back to your point, yeah don’t trust the damn banks no matter what side of a transaction you’re on. 

Okay I will become the "official" AQI reader for Pattaya City once my new gadget arrives .   :tongue: 

Hopefully my balcony readings (23rd floor) will be a lot better than out in the traffic. 

20 hours ago, balo said:

Okay I will become the "official" AQI reader for Pattaya City once my new gadget arrives .   :tongue: 

Hopefully my balcony readings (23rd floor) will be a lot better than out in the traffic. 

Funny you mention the height issue.... lately, in one of these threads, someone asked me about whether the readings were any better way up high vs down at ground level.  I have no idea, and haven't been up high, nor do I live up high, to check something like that.

My guess is, there isn't likely any big difference, apart from any impact if you're right along a busy street with a lot of traffic at ground level. On a quiet street vs up high, I'd be surprised. But, it would be great for someone to actually test that with a sensor and report back the result. I'd sure like to know, rather than guessing.

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Funny you mention the height issue.... lately, in one of these threads, someone asked me about whether the readings were any better way up high vs down at ground level.  I have no idea, and haven't been up high, nor do I live up high, to check something like that.

My guess is, there isn't likely any big difference, apart from any impact if you're right along a busy street with a lot of traffic at ground level. On a quiet street vs up high, I'd be surprised. But, it would be great for someone to actually test that with a sensor and report back the result. I'd sure like to know, rather than guessing.

How far are you from soi 13?

Sukhumvit Suite have an open roof top at the 45th floor, ideal for a measurement. Good view too.

I have always been told there's less pollution in the air higher up , one of the reasons many people choose to live in high rise condos in Bangkok to avoid the worst of it  ,  I would be surprised if the air quality is the same , but we'll see. 

1 hour ago, balo said:

I have always been told there's less pollution in the air higher up , one of the reasons many people choose to live in high rise condos in Bangkok to avoid the worst of it  ,  I would be surprised if the air quality is the same , but we'll see. 

The pollution soup is probably a lot thicker in Beijing, so maybe not comparable to Bangkok, but according to this, not much different unless you get above 400 m.

https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/less-pm25-pollution-higher-lower-floor

18 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

The pollution soup is probably a lot thicker in Beijing, so maybe not comparable to Bangkok, but according to this, not much different unless you get above 400 m.

https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/less-pm25-pollution-higher-lower-floor

That's an interesting article, EOW.  Thanks for finding and posting it. And if it's correct, then it's about what I guessed earlier.

To get to 400 meters, we’d need to live on the 129th floor. For now, we earth-dwellers can’t hope to outclimb pollution.

However, I do think there would be more of a consistent difference if someone was taking a sidewalk reading along Sukhumvit Road and then going up to the 20-something-th floor of a building. But again, I'm guessing.

I have and use air pollution meter/reader for a couple months now.

When the air is bad, like over 100ppg, it seems to be bad everywhere. High floor, sukhumvit, small soi, inside, outside, not a whole lot of difference, unless you have air filters. 

When the air is not so bad, under 80ppg, it seems to vary more, depending on those same things. 

I live on the 30th floor. The readings on my balcony are sometimes the same as the ground floor, sometimes 20-30% less then the ground floor. Seems to have to do with how bad the air is and how windy it is, as it gets more windy up high. 

Also walking around the city, if on a busy street, like Sukhumvit, the readings are sometimes much higher then on a small side soi without traffic. As would be expected. The side soi will usually match the AQI website. Whereas Sukhumvit is sometimes worse. Parks are the same, readings drop a little. Again, seems to have to do with how bad the air is. 

Inside some buildings its worse or better then outside. Some malls have very good air. Others are close to the outside air. Some places have worse air then outside, probably due to cooking smoke. In general, most places the air is about the same inside and outside. Malls seem to be the only exception, maybe kids play center too but I have not tested many. 

Speaking of cooking smoke, walk by a grilled chicken vendor on the street and you will notice a big spike :)

On 3/24/2018 at 6:53 PM, utalkin2me said:

Just for some perspective, how bad is the air for you on a bad day here in bkk (for the entire day) vs say smoking a single cigarette as far as your health goes? I’ve gotta think the cig is going to be way way worse. 

I also wonder how effective conciously breathing through through your nose can be. If you’re like me you’ve got a ton of helping filters in the nostrils that is normally not so welcome, but under these circumstances... :)

Consciously breathing in through the nose is always a wise idea, substantially more so with current pollution levels.

Regarding air pollution and cigarette equivalence, some research has been done in this - recent news reports of pollution in Delhi and Beijing have put it as bad as 45 cigarettes on a day of particularly bad pollution, though much lower under normal circumstances:

http://berkeleyearth.org/air-pollution-and-cigarette-equivalence/

Breathing air pollution may be worse then cigarette smoke. Cigarette is full of chemicals and tars the small hairs in your lungs, negatively impacting your throat and lungs. Air pollution (PM2.5 and smaller) particles can actually end up in your blood, which can really negatively impact your health, in addition to the negative throat and lung impacts. 

Archived