Bangkok Air Pollution

JimShorts

Seems like the OP and others in this thread are newbies. Pollution is no worse this year than it has been in previous years. The only difference is that monitoring of pollution has improved. A few years ago most monitoring stations only measured pm10 but now there are more measuring pm2.5 as well. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is a link to actual PM2.5 data for 2014, 2015, 2016: 

https://greenpeace.or.th/s/right-to-clean-air/PM2.5CityRankingsREV.pdf

Unable to determine if their data source differs from other data sources such as:

https://air.plumelabs.com/en/

But if they are using the same monitoring station data...

Then the average PM2.5 in 2017 when compared to 2016 increased by about 30%

And this months (Jan 2018) average increased about 40% more then the max average in 2016

23 minutes ago, JimShorts said:

Here is a link to actual PM2.5 data for 2014, 2015, 2016: 

https://greenpeace.or.th/s/right-to-clean-air/PM2.5CityRankingsREV.pdf

Unable to determine if their data source differs from other data sources such as:

https://air.plumelabs.com/en/

But if they are using the same monitoring station data...

Then the average PM2.5 in 2017 when compared to 2016 increased by about 30%

And this months (Jan 2018) average increased about 40% more then the max average in 2016

You seem to be getting confused between the index number and the micrograms per cubic metre number. I see no evidence in the websites you post that pm2.5 measured in micrograms per cubic metre has increased this year or last year. 

1 minute ago, edwardandtubs said:

You seem to be getting confused between the index number and the micrograms per cubic metre number. I see no evidence in the websites you post that pm2.5 measured in micrograms per cubic metre has increased this year or last year. 

Sorry, I should have been more clear... they refer to "PARTICULATE MATTER". It is not clear if this is PM2.5, PM10 or a combination. It is also not clear what unit of measurement they use. It is also not clear if they use the same monitoring stations. Assuming all of these are the same, then the numbers look much worse for 2017. Too many assumptions. 

Instead, I just found this, which proves your original point is true :smile: the air is indeed equally bad in 2017 as it was in 2016, 2015 and 2014: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30323241

Don't worry, a lot of people get confused between the micrograms per cubic metre figures and the air quality index figures. Plumelabs seem to have created their own index.

Historical data is available from the following Thai government website:

http://aqmthai.com/public_report.php

Only a few of the monitoring stations have pm2.5 data. Din Daeng has had it for years though and the figures are quite consistent from one year to the next. Bangkok isn't all that bad compared to some cities. It's certainly a lot better than Beijing or Shanghai. 

Loads of thai drive to the mall to pay their telephone bill, is that thailand 4.0? It causes a lot of traffic which isn't necessary.

Also loads of thai drive to the bank because digital payments are not free, is that thailand 4.0?

I guess they even don't have automatic monthly payments at all.

It's time for Thailand to learn how usefull internet can be, they only use it for fayboo.

38 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

So a bit of fake news then.

Troll much?

You can clearly see that the Bangkok station has the same reading as Loei.

If you prefer a screen shot with the actual Bangkok station selected, taken on the same day, here you go. 

----Screen Shot 2018-01-22 at 9.27.45 AM.png

10 minutes ago, LALes said:

Its not just the fact that measuring might be more precise.  This air is the worst I've ever seen here, which is borne out by the numbers.

It isn't borne out by the numbers.  We've had a few unhealthy days because of weather conditions and this happens every year. It's as bad as ever  but what numbers show that it's getting worse?

I stay in Jomtien to avoid the pollution in pattaya (some hope) I like to do an early morning walk, after my walk on Monday I felt rough and was knackered till after a rain shower on Wednesday afternoon,only later did I read in the Bangkok post the advice was not to exercise outdoors.It was a bit foggy the visibility out to sea was poor and some fog inland,fog and no wind and pollution equal smog and I guess that's what took the wind out of my sails,I am 67 stopped smoking at 40 and just have a beer with my evening meal. 

Bangkok is one of the ugliest, most overcrowded and most polluted Third World cities on earth. Why anyone in their right mind would want to live in the middle of that contaminated concrete jungle is a more relevant question. Anyone care to answer?

57 minutes ago, Thainess said:

Bangkok is one of the ugliest, most overcrowded and most polluted Third World cities on earth. Why anyone in their right mind would want to live in the middle of that contaminated concrete jungle is a more relevant question. Anyone care to answer?

Bangkok is paradise, but only a true genius will understand that.

Isaan is like an empty canvas, you can do and paint anything you want, that is if you have the talent.

Bangkok is like one of these strange Picasso painting. You just lean back and enjoy every moment of it. There is beauty and complexity everywhere.

I visited a dear Indian friend once in Kolkata. We dined at his home where the cook prepared a coconut-based curry of a fish known as Ilish in that part of the world. It's apparently an expensive delicacy which Bengalis feast upon on special occasions.

The fish was indeed delicious with a soft, tender and oily sweet flesh. However, it  had bones - many, many fine bones strewn through every piece. You had no choice but to use your fingers, putting small portions in your mouth, chewing carefully and picking the bones from your lips as you did so. It sounds difficult but it didn't take too long to get the hang of it. It did help that the curry was out of the world.

As we ate my friend explained why a Hindu god had made the Ilish so bony. It was so that mortals do justice to it's heavenly flavor. The bones make it impossible to gulp down an Ilish meal. You have to carefully chew every bite causing the flesh to yield all its oils and fragrance.

So, when I see the pollution, traffic and other problems we face in Bangkok, I think of them as little bones that make us savor the delights otherwise of this magnificent city.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

It's normal for Bangkok at this time of year. Why not just get yourself a HEPA air purifier and stop worrying about it?

And sit inside with all windows closed while it's nice cool weather?

Right now i smell a fire burning not far from our moobaan...it's always during cold nights that we smell it and there's no wind at all.

Even in BKK it's normal to do this, there's nobody at all who cares for clean air.

2 hours ago, Thian said:

Right now i smell a fire burning not far from our moobaan...it's always during cold nights that we smell it and there's no wind at all.

Even in BKK it's normal to do this, there's nobody at all who cares for clean air.

The thing is a lot of these air quality monitoring stations are located on the tops of government buildings. The air that we are all exposed to on a daily basis is much worse. There was a study of tuk tuk drivers and how much pm2.5 they are breathing in. The results were pretty horrific regardless of the season. If you're walking around the streets of Bangkok with the barbecue smoke,  the buses and the dodgy motorbikes, how healthy do you think that is? Do you really think a little smartphone app gives you all the information you need about the air you breathe?

13 hours ago, nonameidentified said:

It’s worse now. Unfortunately no news talk about it. It’s actually very dangerous at this rate. Even in Beijing, at around 200, they’ll not be allowing students to go to schools. And you can see that the worst comes from Isaan. Thus the crops burning fields is the culprit 

831C5EFB-ADD4-4C98-92D3-9ED08BA6D73C.png

EC477808-3CC8-48A2-925C-5B8E2A2E25C4.png

How come the numbers on your app is much higher than  reported here: http://aqicn.org/city/bangkok/

Different unit?

Archived