BANGKOK 19 March 2019 22:15
JimShorts

Bangkok Air Pollution

Not sure about the reading you're citing... I don't think it is/was reflective of the day at large.

For example, when I look at the hourly history of Air Visual's reporting for Pathum Wan for today, I see nothing but yellow moderate readings for the entire day. Same basic results for Chula Hospital and the NIST sensors around Asoke.

292659454_2019-02-2200_07_27.jpg.c522482258c85913900cec1beeaa8d59.jpg

The image below likewise shows the hourly readings for Chula being entirely yellow for the entire day Thursday, and for most of Wednesday as well.

1481762302_2019-02-2200_17_53.jpg.29cc7147217098df6898d1c2f1ada6c2.jpg

Yeah looks like it was either a brief isolated surge or even a unit glitch. After the last 10 days or so it'd be disappointing if it surged back up to orange and red of the last month.

Screenshot_20190222-115131_AirVisual.jpeg
  • Like 1

I have bought my own air monitor and for the last few days the air has been remarkably clean PM2.5 reading of about 10.

This is measured on my balcony between Silom and Surawong road. If I take the monitor and measure next to a main road, the value increases by about 20 or 30, so still nowhere near as high as some other Bangkok locations.

• Like 1

On the up now. Seems there's a lot more stations springing up all over with Air Visual now too. Some time back the nearest were still some way away. Maybe the poor AQ had prompted more folks to invest in the stations.

Screenshot_20190222-121523_AirVisual.jpeg

9 hours ago, MaxYakov said:

Ironically, the Provincial Health Office at Loei doesn't seem to be doing that great this week (local phenom or equipment problem?):

I think something's wrong with that entry... It's been listed with that location (Loei) for as long as I can remember, but shows up on the BKK sensors map, where as Loei is nowhere near BKK.  So I have no idea what's going on with that entry.

11 minutes ago, SooKee said:

On the up now. Seems there's a lot more stations springing up all over with Air Visual now too. Some time back the nearest were still some way away. Maybe the poor AQ had prompted more folks to invest in the stations.

Thanks!  I check that area for sensors periodically on the AirVisual map for BKK, because my home is not far from there.  But the Dr. Pizza one is a new one on me... Never seen that one/that location before.

18 minutes ago, SooKee said:

Screenshot_20190222-121523_AirVisual.jpeg

I wonder if he's got that sensor located near his pizza oven, because when I look at my list of local AirVisual sensors in the same general area, they're all in green territory as of noon today.

BKK

Pathum Wan

Royce Residences

NIST

Only Chula is showing the low end of yellow, with a 67 AQI as of 11 am.

None of those on my saved list are showing anything close to orange status.

And when I look at the live map for BKK for air visual, it's basically a sea of green, except for the one you cite above, and another even higher reading, which clearly is either wrong or the subject of some local odd activity.

In general, it's quite a good air day outside in BKK thus far today:

1355223964_2019-02-2212_35_38.thumb.jpg.21a24dcad5a137f9a0606e9acbaaa0c4.jpg

920570442_2019-02-2212_35_48.thumb.jpg.dc03bccb254576a05565b9df7ba38f05.jpg

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

BTW, before anyone gets too paranoid about the above "green" air quality readings for BKK today, let me add that my indoor sensor in central BKK today in an unfiltered room is showing comparable readings, bouncing around between 7-8 micrograms of PM2.5, which is just over midway in the green/good air category.

So it is real, not an illusion or government funny business.

13 minutes ago, fishism said:

Another glitch or more pizza?

It's clearly either wrong, or triggered by some very localized activity around that sensor.  The broader map you also posted clearly shows that's not indicative of general air quality outside today.

For example, if I turn on the toaster oven in my home and start roasting peanuts to make peanut butter, absent running my air purifier, the PM2.5 levels inside my home will quickly shoot up to over 100 micrograms. So there are all kinds of localized things that can trigger very high sensor readings, without necessarily being indicative of overall poor air quality even in a part of the city.

That's why I keep a list of a half dozen or so saved locations in the Air Visual app on my Android phone... Because then I'm not relying on the readings from just one sensor, but on a number of them in the same general area... Looking more broadly like that tends to filter out the occasional local glitch or localized pollution disturbance readings.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

Definitely a glitch. Two other local sensors are showing 155. Odd given the sensors on the other side of Sukhumvit are in the green. Screenshot_20190222-132040_AirVisual.jpegScreenshot_20190222-132730_AirVisual.jpeg

Clean air today in my part of western Bangkok (Khet Talingchan).  At 3pm I'm getting a PM2.5 reading of 2 inside my air conditional house and 9 outside.  Matches up with an Air Visual reading of 9.7 done at 1pm in a location also in Khet Talingchan but about 2km away from me.

6 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

For example, if I turn on the toaster oven in my home and start roasting peanuts to make peanut butter, absent running my air purifier, the PM2.5 levels inside my home will quickly shoot up to over 100 micrograms. So there are all kinds of localized things that can trigger very high sensor readings, without necessarily being indicative of overall poor air quality even in a part of the city.

Does roasting peanuts create so many particles in the room thinner than a human hair that it triggers a high reading?