BANGKOK
JimShorts

Bangkok Air Pollution

How to protect yourself from pollution?  The very best way is to exercise- indoors probably.  It is well known that smokers who are keen sportsmen suffer significantly less from the ill effects of smoking.  So if it works for them it must surely work for city dwellers.

On 3/9/2019 at 11:32 PM, edwardandtubs said:

Clearly it's per cubic metre as the AQI in Bangkok almost never gets that low.

Well if you have followed government monitoring stations over the past 5 years you would have frequently seen AQI falling to good levels, particularly when they decided to omit the particle size or if they decided to average over past year or rolling cumulative average

Smog is suddenly back big time today after a long spell of reasonable air quality. Red AQI all over Bangkok and I'm getting readings of about 80 micrograms at home.

Smog is suddenly back big time today after a long spell of reasonable air quality. Red AQI all over Bangkok and I'm getting readings of about 80 micrograms at home.

IMG_7943.JPG

My Xiaomi Sensor finally arrived, anyone know how to configure it in the MiHome app? I have tried multiple devices and WiFi’s but it will not work.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Posted (edited)

AQI over 200 now in the very unhealthy zone, making this the worst day of the year so far.

Edited by edwardandtubs

1 hour ago, fishism said:

IMG_7943.JPG

My Xiaomi Sensor finally arrived, anyone know how to configure it in the MiHome app? I have tried multiple devices and WiFi’s but it will not work.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I'm getting similar readings on the Sndway monitor on my balcony now. 

Thailand back on top, holding two positions in the top worst air (recorded) in the world. 

Screen Shot 2019-03-12 at 1.16.15 PM.png

5 minutes ago, JimShorts said:

Thailand back on top, holding two positions in the top worst air (recorded) in the world. 

Screen Shot 2019-03-12 at 1.16.15 PM.png

That's not up to date. It should show Chiang Mai first and Bangkok second.

Posted (edited)

I went to bed last night with my bedroom purifier running on low, and my bedroom sensor showing a reading of 2 mcg...

I woke up this morning with my bedroom sensor showing 22 mcg with the bedroom purifier obviously still running on low (which now has obviously been switched up to high and thus brought down the levels to the high end of the "good" range).

Outside in our unpurified living room right now in downtown central BKK, I've been getting readings of 52 mcg or so all morning long -- roughly 142 AQI / the high end of orange, unhealthy for sensitive groups.

It's the first time the PM2.5 levels have been this high in at least a couple weeks.

Silver lining in the dark clouds - today's return of heavy smog spurred me to finish some of the window and doorway sealing work that I'd left only partly completed when the air had turned good the past couple weeks. Anything to prevent the cr*p outside from getting inside is a good move.

What the heck happened overnight???

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

WOW.... and you think BKK has it bad.... just look to the north....

Here's the all Thailand view:

1768344627_2019-03-1213_39_32.jpg.c09f3fe2ec9ef00ec8ea4bc1a9ab837d.jpg

Then the BKK region view:

790713282_2019-03-1213_38_32.jpg.14da8399abf5f878f5b881cf4b61dba1.jpg

Then what the heck is this???  Did someone set the TMD office in BKK on fire???

1361676483_2019-03-1213_38_54.jpg.f0a9b48f3f0aebc787e4c5f0901af323.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I went to bed last night with my bedroom purifier running on low, and my bedroom sensor showing a reading of 2 mcg...

I woke up this morning with my bedroom sensor showing 22 mcg with the bedroom purifier obviously still running on low (which now has obviously been switched up to high and thus brought down the levels to the high end of the "good" range).

Outside in our unpurified living room right now in downtown central BKK, I've been getting readings of 52 mcg or so all morning long -- roughly 142 AQI / the high end of orange, unhealthy for sensitive groups.

It's the first time the PM2.5 levels have been this high in at least a couple weeks.

Silver lining in the dark clouds - today's return of heavy smog spurred me to finish some of the window and doorway sealing work that I'd left only partly completed when the air had turned good the past couple weeks. Anything to prevent the cr*p outside from getting inside is a good move.

What the heck happened overnight???
I'm by the pool in lower Sukhumvit and can see it although no where near as bad as before.
The purifier is sitting on 6 compared to last time when it was 15 to 20

Do you not have an auto setting?

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Then what the heck is this???  Did someone set the TMD office in BKK on fire???

1361676483_2019-03-1213_38_54.jpg.f0a9b48f3f0aebc787e4c5f0901af323.jpg

Either on the blink or a very localised factor like a nearby barbecue. It's just down the road from me and it's not that bad.

• Thanks 1

I can't recall seeing readings this high, even in the North, any time in my memory....  And it's obviously not any single sensor aberration, as the extremely high readings are pervasive up there.

496136998_2019-03-1213_45_12.jpg.a05da372cdfecbebd3ef67c78c420e4e.jpg