BANGKOK 18 July 2019 14:18
JimShorts

Bangkok Air Pollution

2 hours ago, SooKee said:

I've been stuck with a flu type bug for nearly two weeks now, mostly better, just can't shift it off my chest.  Reckon this air pollution is mostly to blame, can feel it in my eyes too, like someone has chucked a handful of powdery sand into them.  Really looking forward to the rains coming and clearing this crap out the air.  Sure don't remember it being THIS bad last year.  

Not TOO bad at the moment at 134.  That's if you consider an 'Unhealthy' 134 to be not too bad.

I doubt your symptoms are entirely related to the current pollution. You probably got some kind of a flu and the pollution just make it feel worse.

34 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

I doubt your symptoms are entirely related to the current pollution. You probably got some kind of a flu and the pollution just make it feel worse.

Yeah, most likely you're right.  I lived in Chiang May year before last and some days there it was really, REALLY bad.  Never felt like this with it though.  Like you say, probably a flu bug that's just lingering on and taking ages to finally shift.  Must admit, mostly rarely get colds in these parts but this, jeez, dropped me like a stone, couldn't get out of bed for 3 days.

If one is going to run say (Lumpini Park) is it best to run at night say 8:00PM as opposed to during day ?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

51 minutes ago, Lumbini said:

If one is going to run say (Lumpini Park) is it best to run at night say 8:00PM as opposed to during day ?

As long as you wait until May, any time of the day is good.

• Like 1

Ran tonight at 8:00 PM and the air was night and day better than today ! When out right after I posted question above to see for myself . I could even see skyline clear but when I walked out of park it was as if I was in different place and in a few steps the smell of cars and foggy streets was back . It's as if that lark Lumpini in and island in the storm and so many working out in park now in the evening the number of people has doubled in little over a year so if the smog has got you feeling like trapped indoors missing nature head to Lumpini park for a retreat to reload in the early morning or evening just after sundown .

3 hours ago, Lumbini said:

It changes day to day, depending on temperature, humidity, wind. Best to monitor the http://aqicn.org/ website, or better yet get a portable measuring device. 

the mornings have been the worst for smog this year.  It gets a little better by afternoon but starts going downhill

again with evening rush hour.  I'm not doing any outdoor exercise until I see real, blue skies again.   Late March or April for that.

1 hour ago, edwardandtubs said:

It seems the pollution is so bad today they are refusing to publish the data.

Most the monitor stations are back online. They go offline if the readings vary too much station to station. 

41 minutes ago, JimShorts said:

Most the monitor stations are back online. They go offline if the readings vary too much station to station. 

Thanks for the info. To be fair, the P

Pollution Control Department is doing quite a good job of publishing the data and explaining it to the public. They correctly pointed out that this level of pollution is not unusual for this time of year.

On 11/02/2018 at 1:53 PM, SooKee said:

Yeah, most likely you're right.  I lived in Chiang May year before last and some days there it was really, REALLY bad.  Never felt like this with it though.  Like you say, probably a flu bug that's just lingering on and taking ages to finally shift.  Must admit, mostly rarely get colds in these parts but this, jeez, dropped me like a stone, couldn't get out of bed for 3 days.

Maybe, maybe not:  perhaps you wouldn't have succumbed to any bug in the first place if your airways were not irritated, and undoubtedly exposure afterwards would hamper recovery.  There is a nasty bug going round - I guess there always is, but I have witnessed many in your position over the last few weeks.  When recovery is protracted, it is often the case that bacterial infection has followed the initial virus.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

Thanks for the info. To be fair, the P

Pollution Control Department is doing quite a good job of publishing the data and explaining it to the public. They correctly pointed out that this level of pollution is not unusual for this time of year.

I could see a major discrepancy between the Thai figures, and those published by external bodies.  So, I would disagree there.  Although it is unusually bad, it is nevertheless bad most of the time in Bangkok due to the sheer volume of traffic and construction work.  The trouble is by highlighting how bad it is now, we normalise the usual state of affairs.

On 08/02/2018 at 4:06 PM, ExpatOilWorker said:

Where did you get that air monitor from? How much was it?

These are similar to 'non Thai' figures.

26 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

I could see a major discrepancy between the Thai figures, and those published by external bodies.  So, I would disagree there.  Although it is unusually bad, it is nevertheless bad most of the time in Bangkok due to the sheer volume of traffic and construction work.  The trouble is by highlighting how bad it is now, we normalise the usual state of affairs.

There is no discrepancy. The external bodies take the data published by the Pollution Control Department and convert it into their own index. 

• Like 1