Bangkok Air Pollution

JimShorts

1 hour ago, utalkin2me said:

I personally bet bet if the air was in the very bad unhealthy range for a couple of weeks, it would become homogeneous inside and out in many homes, especially with cross flow. But, we usually just have the really bad stuff for a day or two? 

I've tested this in my home in BKK. And generally speaking, at least in terms of PM2.5, the unfiltered air inside is a little better that the unfiltered air outside. But as the pollution levels go up outside, they also go up inside correspondingly. And it doesn't take long for those changes to be reflected inside.

For me, the bottom line is -- when the pollution gets bad outside, staying inside makes it a bit better, but hardly good or healthy.

One other difference, though, is when you're inside, presumably, you're not physically exerting as much and thus not getting the junk deep into your lungs. Whereas when you're outside, not only is there more junk, but you're likely breathing it in deeper and worsening the impact.

So in that sense, staying inside and not exerting yourself during times of high pollution makes sense. But staying inside and breathing purified air during times of high pollution outside makes even more sense.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Did something today I've never ever done before in my life -- wore a Honeywell respirator mask when I went outside in Bangkok, and I guess I'm glad I did considering the red / Unhealthy air quality reading for BKK today.

Overall impression -- not a very pleasant experience, but tolerable when the smog is bad. The Honeywell 9010 masks I bought supposedly do an excellent job of filtering out PM2.5, better than the N 95% standard that the mask has. But this particular model is made of a soft pliant material. So every time I breathed out, the mask material expanded like blowing into a balloon. And every time I breathed in, the material was sucked up against my cheeks.

The one good thing about that is, that tells you you've got a good seal between the mask and your face. The first time I tried the mask on at home before we went outside, I had it too high on my face, and as soon as I breathed out, all the exhaled air shot right up out the top of the mask and into my eyes. So, pulled the mask down lower on my face, tightened the metal clip section over my nose, and got a good seal.

I don't know if it's just me being a big guy with big body and big lungs. But when I breathed in outside like when hiking up the BTS stairs or doing some other exertion, it felt like I wasn't getting enough air thru the mask and I really had to take deep and strong breaths to get what felt like enough air into my lungs.

And of course, there was the time when I got a tickle in my nose that kept bugging me and bugging me, but hard to do anything about it with the mask on. So finally, it got worse and my nose started running a bit, and then that turned into a coming sneeze. So quickly stopped and stepped aside on the sidewalk, turned aside to quickly pull the mask off my face, and then promptly sneezed all over my wife, which she really appreciated! :tongue:

So, I guess I'll try the mask again next time when I'm outside and the air's bad, and see if it gets any better with repeated use.

BTW, the price below is for a box of 50 masks... Not 1,000 baht per mask!

5ab62f2d2a500_3M9010Maskfrom3MDelivery.jpg.763362cd9c41f2d6a5f907923c16506b.jpg

One thing I noticed when I was outside, perhaps feeling a bit self-conscious. I probably saw a half dozen or more people outside wearing masks when we were out and around. But I don't think any that I saw were the respirator N95 type masks, and all instead were the simple hospital-type, drug store paper masks that do nothing for PM2.5.

I think I want to try one of the 3M "Cool Flow" kind that have a little vent for exhaling that supposedly makes wearing them more comfortable. The 9010 model above does not have any vent for exhaling.

Tall Guy

http://www.pollutionairmask.com/product-category/air-pollution-mask/

Link to site which consolidates AQI masks from varying manufacturers. They have shells that you can choose from - with replaceable filters - so they have a better look to them than the standard white  (turning grey) N95's we buy now. The filters are replaceable so it is a more expensive option but perhaps not so much depending of life of the shell/cost of replacement filters.

I noticed you talking earlier about your indoor AQI monitor. Did you buy that in Bkk or order online? I would like to get one to see how my indoor AQI is - I have two Toshiba CAF C4A filter units, now about ten years old so wondering how they are doing keeping things clear.

Cheers

18 minutes ago, kuma said:

I noticed you talking earlier about your indoor AQI monitor. Did you buy that in Bkk or order online? I would like to get one to see how my indoor AQI is - I have two Toshiba CAF C4A filter units, now about ten years old so wondering how they are doing keeping things clear.

I bought mine online via Aliexpress, and it took about 11 days from order to delivery here. Unit seems to work well, very easy to read, very quick to respond. I'm pleased and satisfied with my purchase.

And it's kind of startling to come home, see the readings in the 30s or 40s micrograms of PM2.5, turn on either of my air purifiers in the living room or bedroom, and within 30-60 minutes, the readings are down into the single digits.

Sorry, just to be clear, most of the sensor-only units I've seen display their output in micrograms of PM2.5 -- not the AQI numbers, which are entirely different scale. There are some, both sensors and air purifiers with built-in sensors, that give you both micrograms of PM2.5 AND an AQI readings.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Air-Quality-Monitor-Mini-Laser-PM2-5-Monitor-Wall-mounted-Inovafitness-PM2-5-Detector-Gas-monitor/32826759103.html

PS - I looked at the Toshiba units before I bought a Sharp purifier, but the situation here with replacement filters for Toshiba units seemed pretty dire. Have you gone looking to find any replacement filters for your Toshiba's any time lately?

3 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

PS - I looked at the Toshiba units before I bought a Sharp purifier, but the situation here with replacement filters for Toshiba units seemed pretty dire. Have you gone looking to find any replacement filters for your Toshiba's any time lately?

Hey thanks for the info. I will look at that monitoring unit.

On the Toshiba's - I did replace the filters some years back (Toshiba rated themas five years) and at the time I was able to order them at Numchai (I am in Pattaya area, came here in large part for cleaner air) and they were able to get them in a week.

Next month I will try to order again and will see what happens. When I bought these units (tenish years ago) I did a lot of research at the time and they were highly rated. If it turns out they have discontinued filters so soon for units that still function well, then that will be a real blow to their brand - so interesting to see what happens. I will update here once I order.

Thanks for the monitor info.

1 minute ago, kuma said:

Hey thanks for the info. I will look at that monitoring unit.

On the Toshiba's - I did replace the filters some years back (Toshiba rated themas five years) and at the time I was able to order them at Numchai (I am in Pattaya area, came here in large part for cleaner air) and they were able to get them in a week.

Next month I will try to order again and will see what happens. When I bought these units (tenish years ago) I did a lot of research at the time and they were highly rated. If it turns out they have discontinued filters so soon for units that still function well, then that will be a real blow to their brand - so interesting to see what happens. I will update here once I order.

Thanks for the monitor info.

Lately, here in BKK, everyplace I looked that sold Toshiba air purifiers did NOT carry any replacement filters. So finally I ended up talking directly to the main Toshiba service center in BKK, and found an English speak lady there who handles their filters. When I told her what Toshiba model I was thinking of buying, she checked and answered that they were out stock for replacement filters for the purifier model that Toshiba is selling right now at pretty much every retailer around. When I asked how soon they'd have replacement filters in stock, she couldn't answer clearly.

So that was my experience with Toshiba and replacement filters for a current purifier model of theirs. Be very curious to see how you fare with replacements for a 10 year old model.

BTW, I was looking at Numchai's website when I was shopping for my purifier, and they seemed to have decent prices, and free delivery in their area -- but not to BKK, alas.

I guess you would welcome more windy conditions in BKK now, the air has been almost still here in Pattaya , where we normally always have some breeze from the ocean . 

I'm preparing a week in BKK , near OnNut in April and will bring my new 3M masks with me for sure. 

3 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Lately, here in BKK, everyplace I looked that sold Toshiba air purifiers did NOT carry any replacement filters. So finally I ended up talking directly to the main Toshiba service center in BKK, and found an English speak lady there who handles their filters. When I told her what Toshiba model I was thinking of buying, she checked and answered that they were out stock for replacement filters for the purifier model that Toshiba is selling right now at pretty much every retailer around. When I asked how soon they'd have replacement filters in stock, she couldn't answer clearly.

So that was my experience with Toshiba and replacement filters for a current purifier model of theirs. Be very curious to see how you fare with replacements for a 10 year old model.

BTW, I was looking at Numchai's website when I was shopping for my purifier, and they seemed to have decent prices, and free delivery in their area -- but not to BKK, alas.

I saw your post earlier (think it must have been yours) on Toshiba filters. One thing I think will be an advantage is being a Numchai customer and working through them. Seems they are a long time established retailer and with more pull in terms of getting parts than we as walk up individuals would have. I will run with that theory for now (haha) and see what happens when I try to order. 

It will be really surprising if Toshiba stiffs their customers like that - think of the death spiral it creates. We are both consumers of those type of products, and if it turns out they are not supplying filters, well then I will write them off going forward - post it here and that will steer away many others for sure -- and I would write them off for other appliances I am in need of, in he past I purchased a lot of Toshiba appliances on the basis of quality and price - that would all go out the window as well....

2 minutes ago, balo said:

I guess you would welcome more windy conditions in BKK now, the air has been almost still here in Pattaya , where we normally always have some breeze from the ocean . 

I'm preparing a week in BKK , near OnNut in April and will bring my new 3M masks with me for sure. 

This link is very interesting...

https://www.airvisual.com/earth

Looking at it, Bkk and Pattaya have the same wind speed at the moment, 7 KPH,  and more interesting it is the same prevailing wind, assuming the model is correct - originating it looks like from a system right there sandwiched between China and Japan, under S Korea...It is the times we get prevailing winds from up North when the aqi is the worst I think - just saw this site today so will be interesting to track how aqi changes when wind prevails from the SW Indian Ocean...

2 minutes ago, kuma said:

It will be really surprising if Toshiba stiffs their customers like that - think of the death spiral it creates. We are both consumers of those type of products, and if it turns out they are not supplying filters, well then I will write them off going forward - post it here and that will steer away many others for sure -- and I would write them off for other appliances I am in need of, in he past I purchased a lot of Toshiba appliances on the basis of quality and price - that would all go out the window as well....

I agree entirely. Please do post what you find with Numchai and/or elsewhere. You're not the only one with Toshiba air purifiers around here.  When I talked to Toshiba's service center, they specifically told me, at least for Bangkok, that they were the only source for their OEM post-sale filters. Whether that's true or not, who knows. I just know, I couldn't find any anywhere else around BKK.

Personally, I'm annoyed with the whole business model here of retailers selling air purifiers but typically not stocking any of the filters for them. That seems to be the norm even at places like Central, HomePro, etc. Even Lazada is pretty dire when it comes to availability of filters for the most common purifiers sold here.  For me as a customer, if the manufacturer isn't making it clear and easy for me to obtain replacement filters, then I'm going to shy away from buying their products.

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I agree entirely. Please do post what you find with Numchai and/or elsewhere. You're not the only one with Toshiba air purifiers around here.  When I talked to Toshiba's service center, they specifically told me, at least for Bangkok, that they were the only source for their OEM post-sale filters. Whether that's true or not, who knows. I just know, I couldn't find any anywhere else around BKK.

Personally, I'm annoyed with the whole business model here of retailers selling air purifiers but typically not stocking any of the filters for them. That seems to be the norm even at places like Central, HomePro, etc. Even Lazada is pretty dire when it comes to availability of filters for the most common purifiers sold here.  For me as a customer, if the manufacturer isn't making it clear and easy for me to obtain replacement filters, then I'm going to shy away from buying their products.

I'm with you. Now having had this chat, I might see what is available in the online space - maybe they can be ordered and delivered easier than trying to buy from Toshiba Thailand. It almost makes you wonder if they calculate buyers will just get a new unit if no filters are available, so they make it so? 

17 minutes ago, kuma said:

I'm with you. Now having had this chat, I might see what is available in the online space - maybe they can be ordered and delivered easier than trying to buy from Toshiba Thailand. It almost makes you wonder if they calculate buyers will just get a new unit if no filters are available, so they make it so? 

So...

https://www.amazon.com/purifier-replacement-CAF-C4FS-deodorizing-collector/dp/B000WMMG30?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B000WMMG30

http://www.aircleanerthai.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=68&Itemid=43

Found Amazon Japan and a Thai site with three options - though not sure if my older model can use any of these. Will have the girl contact the Thai site to ask (and send them the dimensions). They list models that are compatible, maybe mine is too old to list or they engineered away from the size I have and discontinued parts...will get in touch to find out

Sorry - correction, the second filter on the Thai site does indeed say compatible for CAF C4...it looks the same and I think it is the one I need, so fingers crossed.

14 minutes ago, kuma said:

WOW.!!!   The first one isn't Amazon Japan, but just regular Amazon U.S. via a third party seller, Amazing Japan.  But $125 for a dust filter, not even the HEPA filter???  That's crazy!!!

As for AirCleanerThai, yes, I've seen that site, but haven't had direct contact with them as yet. The one looming, unanswered question I have about their stocks is are they selling OEM manufacturer filters, or are they selling third-party no-name filters made by who knows who in Thailand.  I've seen that they have filters for a lot of models, just don't know, what quality of filters. But they're certainly worth pursuing on that point. With everything else going on, I just haven't had a chance to raise that issue with them.

Google Translate of AircleanerThai.com

About Easy EAS (E.A. Easy)

EA Easy Co., Ltd. has grown from a home appliance retailer. Retail Model - Delivering the traditional, long-lived, on-line marketing experience on the internet to focus on customer base across all parts of the country. The standard online electronics store.

EA Easy Co., Ltd. sells home appliances of the highest quality in the world. From the world's leading manufacturers of electrical appliances such as PANASONIC, TOSHIBA, HITACHI, SAMSUNG, LG, SHARP, JVC, MITSUBISHI, SANYO, etc.

EE Easy Co., Ltd. Retail and wholesale of home appliances, home air conditioner, refrigerator 1 door, refrigerator 2 doors or more, refrigerator side-by-side, refrigerator Minibar, TV L LED / LCD TV, Plasma TV / Plasma TV, Flat screen TV, Top wash machine, Front washer, Two washers, Air purifier, Vacuum cleaner, drinking water filter, sewing machine, camera, oven Microwave, home audio, home theater, electric ovens, electric frying pan, rice cookers, water heaters, computers and peripherals, etc.? The price helps customers save more. And delivery service throughout Thailand.

EA Easy Company Limited is registered with the Department of Business Development. Ministry of Commerce Legally The registration of the juristic person. 0125553012791 And have entered the VAT system under the VAT registration number 0508125 tax identification number 3034049793 You can check directly with the Department of Business Development. And the Revenue Department.

warranty
EASY CO., LTD. Assures that all electrical appliances that we sell. It is a 100% new electric appliance from the world famous electrical appliance manufacturer. And the quality of products according to the standards of each manufacturer. Warranty certificate The products can be delivered directly at the service center of each manufacturer of electrical appliances scattered throughout the country.

Ordering
Because the price of electrical appliances. It has changed quite often. Therefore, the price offered on the Website may not be the current price, as well as Stock products may be moving while the information on the Website has not been updated and to reduce errors and misunderstandings each other. We have chosen to use the method of order in the form of a request. ?quotation?? Which we will prepare and send? Quotations? Terms of delivery, delivery method, payment method. And other offers, which are the latest information on the products that customers want. To the customer to consider before making a purchase decision. You can see the order details on the menu. ?How to buy? Or for quick access. You can contact us directly via phone or email.

delivery
Easy EAS Co., Ltd. has delivery service throughout the country within 1-7 days (depending on stock, delivery and distance) through various transportation networks. Whether it is a state-owned transportation company, a private shipping company, a Thai postal company Or delivery service of our own. Both have free shipping. And paid shipping. Shipping costs depend on the distance, size and weight of the item. This may include the amount of each order. We will quote shipping and delivery terms along with prices to customers for consideration in the quotation.

For inquiries, call 089-678-2662 or 0-2961-8687 (8: 00-21: 00).

On 19-3-2018 at 11:41 AM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Yes, I believe I posted about my experience with Toshiba in the other thread on Hatari air purifiers.

Basically, I was looking at a Toshiba unit, along with the Sharp unit that I eventually bought. Part of the reason I didn't go with Toshiba was their handling of replacement filters.

Basically, none of he stores that sell their air purifier units sell the matching filters for them, which is the same with Sharp, BTW. In the case of Toshiba, I spoke with the Toshiba service center in BKK and the lady there who deals with their filters. Basically, she said they sell them and will mail them out to customers who place orders with them.

But, and this was the issue that helped sway my purchase decision, when I told her the specific, current Toshiba model I was looking at (one sold broadly in Thai retailers right now), she said they were out of stock for replacement filters for that unit and couldn't say exactly when they'd have them back in stock. In my Thai reality translation dictionary, that probably means good luck in ever finding one.

In Sharp's case, for the model I was looking at, Sharp Thailand likewise doesn't directly sell its own filters, but for some reason have subcontracted that to a private company in BKK. They too, it turned out, claimed they were out of replacement filters for the unit I bought, but promised they'd have more in a couple weeks. Whether I believe that or not, I was reassured more by the fact that I could see 3rd party retailers like Lazada and others in Malaysia offering that particular Sharp filter for sale. So it is out there, even if not particularly easy to get in Thailand.

Frankly, I just don't understand Sharp and Toshiba's business thinking on this. When they sell an air purifier, it's a one time purchase. But if they did a better job of providing easy access to quality replacement filters, they'd have recurring purchase customers and build some brand loyalty. But instead, Toshiba does what it does, loses me as a customer, and now has you not willing to buy from them again for the same reason.  To me, it's just bad business, but hardly unfamiliar here.

Yup it's very bad service from Toshiba...i even was keen on a topmodel laptop from them but bought another one already.

For me it's never again any Toshiba electronics.

23 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

WOW.!!!   The first one isn't Amazon Japan, but just regular Amazon U.S. via a third party seller, Amazing Japan.  But $125 for a dust filter, not even the HEPA filter???  That's crazy!!!

As for AirCleanerThai, yes, I've seen that site, but haven't had direct contact with them as yet. The one looming, unanswered question I have about their stocks is are they selling OEM manufacturer filters, or are they selling third-party no-name filters made by who knows who in Thailand.  I've seen that they have filters for a lot of models, just don't know, what quality of filters. But they're certainly worth pursuing on that point. With everything else going on, I just haven't had a chance to raise that issue with them.

Good point. I will have her ask that - and hope for a proper answer.

One thing, my unit is tagged as a CAF C4A built by Thai Toshiba Electric Industries Co. Ltd. So like the global firm I used to work for here, Toshiba has a Thai operation, and I suspect they likely make the filters here to match the models they produce, tough the price of these filters seem way lower than I recall paying before (see below) so perhaps these are now aftermarket...

The Amazon filter is a hefty price to be sure, but if I can recall correctly the last replacement was about THB5000, but they have a manufacturers life span of five years - so annualized not bad, but I also have to check back and confirm they PPM2.5 rated, if not  may just start over....

19 hours ago, utalkin2me said:

Just for some perspective, how bad is the air for you on a bad day here in bkk (for the entire day) vs say smoking a single cigarette as far as your health goes? I’ve gotta think the cig is going to be way way worse. 

I also wonder how effective conciously breathing through through your nose can be. If you’re like me you’ve got a ton of helping filters in the nostrils that is normally not so welcome, but under these circumstances... :)

Just my tuppence worth:

1.  The dangers of smoking are well stated.

2  The dangers of passive smoking regarding serious disease are grossly over-stated (it does cause allergies though)

3.  The danger of pm2.5 is currently not known, but likely has been understated.

I don't think it is possible to do a direct comparison as yet.  It is thought that living in a polluted city causes cancer and heart disease on much the same scale as smoking, and one usually needs to smoke a pack a day for a few decades to start getting chronic disease.

2 hours ago, kuma said:

The Amazon filter is a hefty price to be sure, but if I can recall correctly the last replacement was about THB5000, but they have a manufacturers life span of five years - so annualized not bad, but I also have to check back and confirm they PPM2.5 rated, if not  may just start over....

I can't tell exactly from the Amazon link you posted exactly what kind of filter they're talking about. There's no product description at all other than the title headline. The tiny photo doesn't look like a HEPA filter. The headline says "deodorizing dust collector," which makes it sound like a pre-filter. But then another part of the headline says "filter set," which makes it sound like possibly a HEPA plus a pre-filter. Honestly, no clue!!!

3 hours ago, kuma said:

One thing, my unit is tagged as a CAF C4A built by Thai Toshiba Electric Industries Co. Ltd. So like the global firm I used to work for here, Toshiba has a Thai operation, and I suspect they likely make the filters here to match the models they produce, tough the price of these filters seem way lower than I recall paying before (see below) so perhaps these are now aftermarket...

Toshiba Thailand does have an online store, it turns out, all in Thai language, and they do at least list various HEPA and pre-filters available for sale there.

https://www.toshibathailandshopping.com/category.html?p=1&cid=1

They also have a section with at least one air purifier on sale:

https://www.toshibathailandshopping.com/category.html?cid=10

When I was dealing with them, I was interested in their air purifier model CAF-G2 model, which is the one listed on their website as being on sale for 3590b, and the same unit is listed right now at HomePro for 5700b.

5ab77e914ea97_2018-03-2517_48_00.jpg.f3f63d809292e44a814efc5b3eb78974.jpg     5ab77e90da73f_2018-03-2517_47_50.jpg.f672e785cd9415ed85c15fe67228977f.jpg

But when I asked my contact there about replacement filters for the CAF-G2, that's when she told me they had none in stock, so I passed and went with Sharp. That was about a month ago now, so things may have changed since then, or not.

Their website lists a couple filters for the G2 and similar models, but can't quite tell if they're showing a HEPA filter for the G2.

14 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

A HEPA filter might last 5 years in Japan but definitely not in Bangkok. You need to change them at least once every 6 months. Look what my DIY filter looked like after 6 months.5ab732e02a093_bangkokfilter.thumb.jpg.5c85a2b92a1d6d6b7c51dd1142864c31.jpg

But (correct me if I'm wrong), you're using that without any kind of carbon prefilter???  The purpose of which is to keep a lot of that gunk off and away from the more expensive HEPA filter.

8 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

But (correct me if I'm wrong), you're using that without any kind of carbon prefilter???  The purpose of which is to keep a lot of that gunk off and away from the more expensive HEPA filter.

The purpose of the carbon is to absorb formaldehyde but as I have no problem with that in my home I don't need it. You can buy a separate pre-filter to catch the larger particles but for it to do any good you would need to change it regularly. Also, if you have several layers before your HEPA filter, that would of course reduce it's efficiency. As the DIY filters are so cheap, I prefer to just buy a load of those and change them every 3 months.

No, actually, the carbon prefilters are also intended to catch a lot of the larger particles and keep them off/out of your HEPA filter. Dust, animal hair, human hair, etc etc. all gets caught by the carbon -- if you have one installed.

I've been running my Honeywell 50250 for the past month daily with a original 10-year-old HEPA filter that's as white and pure looking as the day I bought the air purifier. Because, the air purifier has NEVER been used without the carbon prefilter that almost every purifier manufacturer tells you should always be used.

Just as one example, note the typical excerpt below from my Honeywell 50250's user's manual:

5ab782c511354_2018-03-2518_05_00.jpg.f16d69433b54ee2c2afce9574a6ef427.jpg

The carbon pre-filter sheets are cheap, I think my last replacement box cost me about $7 U.S.  The HEPA filters, regardless of the brand or model, are NOT cheap by comparison.

In that case it definitely makes sense to change those pre-filters in a normal air purifier but for a DIY you can buy a pack of four HEPA filters to last a year and it works out at about 2000 baht including shipping. I could get the cost down by using a pre-filter and changing it every 3 months but I think I'm already getting good value for money.

9 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

In that case it definitely makes sense to change those pre-filters for a normal air purifier but for a DIY you can buy a pack of four HEPA filters to last a year and it works out at about 2000 baht including shipping. I could get the cost down by using a pre-filter and changing it every 3 months but I think I'm already getting good value for money.

Where are you buying your HEPA filters from?

BTW, just by comparison, the new Sharp unit I just bought says their typical paper-type HEPA filter is supposed to last for two years. And the back of the purifier has a built in pre-filter mesh (but not carbon), so I added my own carbon sheet to the back between the HEPA filter and the back cover/mesh filter. I'm hoping adding the carbon will mean I can get even longer than two years out of the Sharp HEPA.

Back when I used to run my Honeywell 50250 in the U.S., I was living in an apartment with typical U.S. cheap apartment carpeting that easily gave off fibers and such. Within a month, my carbon prefilter back then would be literally covered solid with a matte of carpet fibers, dust, hair, etc etc. (Roughly comparable to the typical outside air quality in BKK...) But, not a visible spec of any of that ever got thru to the HEPA filter inside. That's what the carbon prefilters are for.

33 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Where are you buying your HEPA filters from?

From the Smart Air online shop.

I think you have to be very wary with claims like change the HEPA filter every two years. Is this for Japan or Bangkok? As Bangkok is probably four times more polluted than Tokyo, it might need to be changed every 6 months.

6 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I bought mine online via Aliexpress, and it took about 11 days from order to delivery here. Unit seems to work well, very easy to read, very quick to respond. I'm pleased and satisfied with my purchase.

And it's kind of startling to come home, see the readings in the 30s or 40s micrograms of PM2.5, turn on either of my air purifiers in the living room or bedroom, and within 30-60 minutes, the readings are down into the single digits.

Sorry, just to be clear, most of the sensor-only units I've seen display their output in micrograms of PM2.5 -- not the AQI numbers, which are entirely different scale. There are some, both sensors and air purifiers with built-in sensors, that give you both micrograms of PM2.5 AND an AQI readings.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Air-Quality-Monitor-Mini-Laser-PM2-5-Monitor-Wall-mounted-Inovafitness-PM2-5-Detector-Gas-monitor/32826759103.html

I am also looking for an air quality sensor and the the Sndway model looks good.

Isn't the 3 models below all the SW-825, except the price vary between 1,677, 1,741 to 1,854 baht, or am I missing something?

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/sndway-digital-led-air-quality-monitor-pm25-detector-temperature-humidity-meter-intl-i165802565-s202876683.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.10.3fce3777mMYlLl&search=1

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/sndway-digital-air-quality-monitor-pm25-detector-temperature-humidity-meter-intl-i165685663-s202632605.html?spm=a2o4m.pdp.recommend_1.1.4ac679aal3EnZf&mp=1&scm=1007.16389.99110.0&clickTrackInfo=c2b19ec5-2656-4e8f-abd9-441011c7fe8d__165685663__5578__1

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/sndway-digital-led-air-quality-monitor-pm25-detector-temperature-humidity-meter-intl-i172085377-s307358729.html?spm=a2o4m.pdp.recommend_1.7.7a013f70emnJSb&mp=1&scm=1007.16389.99110.0&clickTrackInfo=9a19419b-4b37-4e96-af91-cc8750fff386__172085377__12082__1

33 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

I am also looking for an air quality sensor and the the Sndway model looks good.

Isn't the 3 models below all the SW-825, except the price vary between 1,677, 1,741 to 1,854 baht, or am I missing something?

It looks to me like those are all the same Sndway unit also. Just as is typical on Lazada, the same product being sold at different prices by different re-sellers.

I found the same thing on Aliexpress, the same product being re-sold by different vendors there. But in my case, Sndway has their own company store on Aliexpress, so I figured I'd buy directly from them, instead of going thru some 3rd party re-seller that I don't know.

Probably, not a big deal either way. But since I had the choice, I chose to deal direct with Sndway. I paid about $45 U.S. after a 1st time customer discount on Aliexpress, so that worked out to about 1400b including shipping.

8 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

It looks to me like those are all the same Sndway unit also. Just as is typical on Lazada, the same product being sold at different prices by different re-sellers.

I found the same thing on Aliexpress, the same product being re-sold by different vendors there. But in my case, Sndway has their own company store on Aliexpress, so I figured I'd buy directly from them, instead of going thru some 3rd party re-seller that I don't know.

Probably, not a big deal either way. But since I had the choice, I chose to deal direct with Sndway.

Can you do cash on delivery with Aliexpress?

Archived