BANGKOK
JimShorts

Bangkok Air Pollution

On 11/14/2019 at 4:36 PM, bbi1 said:

8210 was printed on the box. 9010 & 9211+ had a sticker on the box.

3M confirmed that the 9105 cannot be validated online. I could send the box back to Lazada but decided to keep it. At first I was worried because there's slight typographical differences compared to the mask I bought from Tesco but then I checked the 3M website and there's no difference. Everything else appears to be identical between the Tesco and Lazada masks. 

The seller (Intech Premier) appears to be a reputable seller of 3M products with a physical store in Phuket (visible on Google maps). They have been selling these for almost 2 years with only positive ratings. It wouldn't make any business sense for them to risk destroying their reputation (and risk legal action by 3M) by selling fake masks. They say they bought them from 3M Thailand and I have no reason not to believe them. They're making a profit by buying a bulk pack of 8 boxes of 50 masks direct from 3M and then selling each box online or in their shop. They appear to be selling about one box every one of two weeks on Lazada so it makes sense that they've still got some in stock.

Edited by edwardandtubs

to those asking why this happens, Nasa continues to provide satellite coverage with burning going on all over SEA this season and for the next 4 - 6 months

so that is part of the equation

the other is public transport is not particularly important in the big cities such as BKK, yes they try to improve coverage but the majority still require their own transport to get from home to the office or school etc,

those buses such as the ones used by military and all bus companies, the trucks badly tuned diesel engines etc.

#

now you know

17 minutes ago, manchega said:

those buses such as the ones used by military and all bus companies, the trucks badly tuned diesel engines etc.

#

now you know

As someone who lived here 50 years ago, with almost no vehicles, and remembers really bad diesel smoke (where a trip from Don Muang to town would result in a totally black handkerchief once you blew nose) do not believe badly tuned diesel bus engines are a major factor currently (most vehicles are cars and vans).  A factor sure - but small in the burning equation.  

• Like 1

maybe not as bad lopburi, but a few pages back someone was asking why, diesel is meant to be one of biggest contributors, personal trucks and those transporting tend to be badly adjusted and kicking out black smoke, not just the government buses, the coaches and the works trucks.

the issue is not just the farm and jungle burning though that has a lot to do with it

if it were just the burnings there would be no reason for smog to be localised over big cities

10 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

Got to love the fresh air. Much cleaner than this time last year. Wonder how long it'll last.

Wondering why the air has apparently been quite decent in BKK today and yesterday. AirVisual puts the air quality at 27 US AQI which is actually amazing for BKK!!

42 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Wondering why the air has apparently been quite decent in BKK today and yesterday. AirVisual puts the air quality at 27 US AQI which is actually amazing for BKK!!

Have you opened the window?  The wind is blowing and gusting strong today.

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Have you opened the window?  The wind is blowing and gusting strong today.

Yes I did in the morning, not much wind in the morning and the afternoon had no breeze at all.

20 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Yes I did in the morning, not much wind in the morning and the afternoon had no breeze at all.

It was blowing quite good here in Latphao at ground level earlier - much more than normal.  

On 1/23/2018 at 3:14 PM, Just Weird said:

You're right, no one cares about this type of alarmist post because it's not a big deal and nothing can be done about it in the medium to short term. If you are donning a medical type mask you're wasting your time with that too.

I cared enough to leave Thailand for good. And yes before the TV dogs start baying, I'm certain no one misses me or my money.  It was a personal decision to improve my life expectancy.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1