Russians found working illegally among dozens of arrests in call center raids in Pattaya

webfact

Russians found working illegally among dozens of arrests in call center raids in Pattaya

2pm.jpg

Picture: 77Jowo 

Many Russian nationals were arrested for working illegally as police, military and public health department officials descended on four call center locations in the Pattaya and Sattahip areas.

Their targets were not the usual call center types that have been in the news recently for blatant extortion.

These were operations that advertise beauty products and skin creams and sell health food supplements online. The authorities have claimed that the call centers are selling the goods using bogus advertising claims.

The raids came after requests from the head of the Chonburi police acting on direct orders from the national police chief Jakthip Chaijinda.

The first raid was on Mojo Call Center in the land department soi in Bang Lamung where 51 staff were working in a three storey building.

The second was at Top Trend Manufacturing Co Ltd where 700 cases of skin products were seized and where they arrested owner Chawanuch Yesipovich from Sakon Nakorn.

The third was at Call Center Asia and Power Life Asia in Na Jomtien, Sattahip where owner Yuphawadee Sophan was arrested on a warrant. Seventy workers including two Russian women were found. Seventy eight computers and a safe were taken into evidence.

Nearby in the Mountain Village 2 housing estate in an office set up to sell insurance to tourists police found a number of Russian nationals among 12 women.

None had work permits to show to the officers.

The activities of call centers have come under close scrutiny recently with a national campaign to rein in their activities.

Source: 77Jowo

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-01-23

I'm surprised they haven't cracked down on call centers earlier . I see young Russians here every day, not typical tourists, and they are obviously here because they earn money. Send them home.

i wonder if this lot are in anyway connected to the ruskies who were selling the dick enlargement creams on line last year i think it was. seemed they were bringing in decent money. No more than 2 weeks later there were loads of different branded ones being sold online by thais. looked like they closed them down. looked at what they were doing and copied it

7 hours ago, Henrik Andersen said:

They only come for working or do crime in this case send them home ban them from Thailand 

I guess they are now replacing all the Brits who came here some years back to operate call centres.

1 hour ago, Happy enough said:

i wonder if this lot are in anyway connected to the ruskies who were selling the dick enlargement creams on line last year i think it was. seemed they were bringing in decent money. No more than 2 weeks later there were loads of different branded ones being sold online by thais. looked like they closed them down. looked at what they were doing and copied it

But the thing we all want to know is, did the cream work?

Just now, BigBadGeordie said:

But the thing we all want to know is, did the cream work?

i very much doubt it. probably just a bloody moisturizer with BS packaging. i reckon cheaper to get a soapy and have some massage girl rub moisturizer into the little fella if you want to make it larger ; )

6 hours ago, balo said:

I'm surprised they haven't cracked down on call centers earlier . I see young Russians here every day, not typical tourists, and they are obviously here because they earn money. Send them home.

Maybe they are not that young, maybe it's the anti ageing cream. :cheesy:

14 hours ago, webfact said:

Their targets were not the usual call center types that have been in the news recently for blatant extortion.

These were operations that advertise beauty products and skin creams and sell health food supplements online. The authorities have claimed that the call centers are selling the goods using bogus advertising claims.

Sure it were not the call centres where the conversation starts "My name is Alla,  talk dirty to me...."

5 hours ago, Happy enough said:

i wonder if this lot are in anyway connected to the ruskies who were selling the dick enlargement creams on line last year i think it was. 

Could you recommend another source for this cream, now that the Russian organized cream ring has been shut down? Asking for a friend.

Why does it require the National Police Chief to order the Chonburi Police to make the raids in Pattaya?

The Pattaya Police are usually well informed, or ought to have knowledge, of criminal activity in Pattaya. If they did have knowledge, why was no action taken? Did Pattaya Police have some incentive to avoid taking action if they were aware of the activity?

If the National Police Police Chief can't rely on Pattaya Police and Bang Lamung Police to enforce the law, how can the Public and Tourists trust the Pattaya Police?

There needs to be some BIG changes in Pattaya and Bang Lamung Police, starting at the top

On 1/23/2018 at 1:04 PM, Happy enough said:

Business local style someone has an idea it looks like it works and the whole village copies Coffee Shops being one idea

Call centers are a pain in the ass, used to have in in the UK, windows and ppi, thats when the nice side of me came out just be rude very rude and bingo off they go. Today we never get a call but the rude man is waiting just encase.

Did the raiders find any accounting books or ledgers, bank books/statements, receipt books, invoices, delivery documents indicating where the cash went?

Hopefully, the investigators will also review the phone call logs of all phones found on the raided premises, including the personal phones of all employees. Also, check all video in or near the premises to identify other/fringe participants, and identify who signed the office leases, phone contracts, etc. etc..  Maybe even lay charges for tax evasion, etc. etc.. 

These guys may qualify for a lot more than working without a work permit.

9 hours ago, Banana7 said:

The Pattaya Police are usually well informed, or ought to have knowledge, of criminal activity in Pattaya. If they did have knowledge, why was no action taken?

Did Pattaya Police have some incentive to avoid taking action if they were aware of the activity?

Surely this question is rhetorical?

17 hours ago, Banana7 said:

Why does it require the National Police Chief to order the Chonburi Police to make the raids in Pattaya?

The Pattaya Police are usually well informed, or ought to have knowledge, of criminal activity in Pattaya. If they did have knowledge, why was no action taken? Did Pattaya Police have some incentive to avoid taking action if they were aware of the activity?

If the National Police Police Chief can't rely on Pattaya Police and Bang Lamung Police to enforce the law, how can the Public and Tourists trust the Pattaya Police?

There needs to be some BIG changes in Pattaya and Bang Lamung Police, starting at the top

In the condo where i live some Russians are operating a restaurant/bar without a single Thai worker in sight, they are cooking, cleaning and serving alcohol, they have been running the business for well over a year now and the authorities have not been anywhere near the place, i wonder why?

3 hours ago, champken said:

In the condo where i live some Russians are operating a restaurant/bar without a single Thai worker in sight, they are cooking, cleaning and serving alcohol, they have been running the business for well over a year now and the authorities have not been anywhere near the place, i wonder why?

Why not call City Hall 

What is the name of this place ? It's easy to check if they have the right permits.

14 hours ago, whitemouse said:

Surely this question is rhetorical?

No it is not rhetorical. Just trying to understand how things work and stimulate discussion and opinions. If you have some insight, share your ideas and opinion.

I imagine the Chief is highly knowledgeable, intelligent and dedicated to law enforcement. He has a very difficult job to prioritize and allocate limited resources, efficiently and effectively, to prevent and solve crimes. He probably focuses on the most serious and heinous offenses such as murder, violent crimes, and other activities to ensure Pattaya continues to be a highly desirable and safe location especially for tourists. So rather than going after a bunch of cold calling Russian salesmen selling beauty cream, he goes after the person involved in the death of a beautiful 22 year old bar girl – I think he has the correct priorities.  There are other unsolved murders and violent crimes that require resolution and his resources.

Maybe the Chonburi Police were involved because there were victims in other cities in Chonburi province and other provinces, and they did a favour for Pattaya Police, rounding-up the criminals. Maybe there were no victims in Pattaya.

Well if they want to find some illegally working Russians, just walk down walking street and ask to see the paperwork of just about any of the Russian women that are handing out fliers.  I believe that is illegal, and who knows what their visa status is.  But I bet they have somebody watching them in case an official stops to ask them questions

Archived