Coronary angioplasty in Bangkok

Ganador

I am not in Thailand right now, but I was hoping to find out the average cost of a Coronary Angioplasty (and stent implant), plus doctors fees etc, at a government public hospital in Bangkok, such as Chulalongkorn. Also any recommendation on finding a good Cardiologist at Chula. Thanks in advance for any helpful advice and suggestions...

Do not know but having been on a government hospital waiting list for an operation only to have it canceled (on operating table) and told would have to wait 3-4 more months to obtain a new date would advise caution if this is time sensitive.  Stents will be expensive anywhere so probably not too much savings there.  But operation itself should be much cheaper than in private facility.

I have had such an operation in a private hospital about 6 years ago with 2 plain stents and cost was about 350k.  

25 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

A little under 200K baht for one stent, more if multiple stents.

Some suggested cardiologists at Chula:

Prof. Somkiat Sangwataroj

Asst. Prof. Taworn Suithichaiyakul

Going by lop's post it sounds cheaper by the dozen.   :smile:

I'm around 3 years past a  cardiologist's claim of my being in a  critical state of needing  Coronary Angioplasty.   I guess I'm just rolling the dice on it but this thread motivated  me to at least look up info on the  Mayo Clinic about the procedure:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/coronary-angioplasty/about/pac-20384761

I was surprised to read of a 30% restenosis  rate.   

I suppose if I ever decide to do it, I'd go back to the USA as there I could have a medical directive in place  in case of complications which I would likely be subject to having.  At a Bangkok Hospital I was told by a surgeon they would be happy to make every effort possible  to keep me alive.     That would not be  my wish.

In general this is a quite safe procedure as there is no cutting other than entry point (on wrist most often here) and you are awake the whole time.  Most people do not have any complications.  As for the restenosis rate that was for balloon angioplasty only - if followed by stent that rate drops to 10-15% and can be over many years.

10 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Some suggested cardiologists at Chula:......

is there a Post somewhere telling how to get treatment at Chula if you are not a Thai or speak Thai ?

200k does not seem that much  and Chula has a good reputation

1. Early afternoon on a working day (Mon - Fri excluding govt holidays)go to the ground floor of the main OPD building to register and get a patient card/number. Have your passport with you and if possible a Thai speaker as forms and signs are all in Thai and admin staff speak little or no English.

2. Go up to the 13th floor and tell the nurse you want an appointment with cardiologist. They will be there from around 3:30 pm but queue may start earluer.

3. You will then likely have to come back another day for the actual appointment.

The above is for accessing doctors through the after hours clinic. If you prefer to go through the public channel, step 1 the same but arrive very early morning (7 am if possible) and after registration ask directions to the Cardiac center.

Public channel takes longer, less face time with senior docs and saves just a few hundred baht.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

18 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Thank you Sheryl. I am guessing the 200k includes the cost of the preliminary coronary angiogram... and for the stent, injected dye, and use of the Cath Lab at Chulalongkorn.

But what about the fee for the intervenion cardiologist and his team? And what about cost of CCU stay for a couple of nights... and maybe a night in a basic private room.

A "rough estimate" figure of total cost for this procedure would help me prepare a budget for this, for when I get back to Thailand. Any updated appreciated....

I suspect that the 200 figure includes everything but extra stents or a private room stay.  Normal at private hospital was just overnight in ICU to allow monitor and gradual release of pressure band on wrist.  Believe private rooms in Chula still run about the same as a 4 star hotel nightly rates but understand they now have more than enough available with a new building open.

19 hours ago, JAS21 said:

It is quite a lot cheaper at CCIC, go to the extra clinic, you can swerve the waiting list. You may have to do an MRI or at least an  angiogram first.

Sorry ... that should be CCIT ... Central Chest Institute of Thailand

7 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

I suspect that the 200 figure includes everything but extra stents or a private room stay.  Normal at private hospital was just overnight in ICU to allow monitor and gradual release of pressure band on wrist.  Believe private rooms in Chula still run about the same as a 4 star hotel nightly rates but understand they now have more than enough available with a new building open.

Yes, the 200K is all inclusive.

It is not usual to do an angiogram separate from the stent insertion as that would entail 2 sessions in the cath lab and 2 cannulations. Rather it is done once - they do an angiogram and based on what they see, if indicated insert the stent(s) then and there. This means that going in, you and the cardiologist both do not know if you will be having an angio only (cost likely around 30K), an angio plus 1 stent (est 200K), or an angio with multiple stents. Sometimes people are happily surprised to find no stent needed.

15 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Yes, the 200K is all inclusive.

That sees like a reasonable price at Chula if it includes the fees for the intervention cardiologist and his team... but I suppose the hospital CCU room and private room would be extra costs?

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 7:27 PM, Sheryl said:

Sometimes people are happily surprised to find no stent needed.

The best result indeed but the OP should also make sure that he is prepared for the opposite, as happened to me last year.  I was fortunate to be receiving free health care at a US Veterans hospital.

I went in fully expecting an angioplasty and stent insertion based on my test results. 

I had a "Cardiac episode" during the angiogram and was rushed into the ER, waking the next day, tubes down my throat and the beneficiary of a triple-bypass. It turned out I had far more extensive blockage than had been detected.

My point is, chances are things will go as planned but doctors never really know for sure exactly what they will find once the process begins and you should make provision for that possibility if you can.

Archived