Work permit with marriage visa?

2 hours ago, Seanbhoy said:

even though human resources/accounts at my work and the guy they pay to do all the visa crap said it wasn't - 

99% of HR office people tell you that for a couple of reasons.

a  They don't know.

b   They want you to get a single entry B then convert to an extension so when they want rid of you they can cancel your extension and you get 7 days to leave ( that you have to apply for at 1900 baht ) giving you problems on claiming severence etc.

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

Is the OP asking if a marriage visa is an automatic qualification (only qualification / factor needed) to get a a WP? 

I think he asking if a non O based on being married can support a work permit.

The answer is yes.

The requirement is simply a non Imm' visa or extension they can support a work permit except an extention based on retirement which does not 'officially' but it's very unusual to get a wp when retired.

It also seems to depend on which province/ dept. of work you come under, I've got a work permit with a marriage visa before, but last year, in a different province, they refused it & a month after getting, luckily a single entry non o marriage, they refused to issue me with one unless I went back to Savannakhet & got a non B.....

9 hours ago, zyphodb said:

It also seems to depend on which province/ dept. of work you come under, I've got a work permit with a marriage visa before, but last year, in a different province, they refused it & a month after getting, luckily a single entry non o marriage, they refused to issue me with one unless I went back to Savannakhet & got a non B.....

That is strange as the it should be possible in every province.

Did you had a 1 year extension based on marriage ?

Maybe there was something else not correct.

10 hours ago, zyphodb said:

I think it has to be a one year ME Non- O visa

49 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

There is no such requirement. It can be a single entry non-o.

Most of time when people told no it is an agent/lawyer due it ignorance or for their financial benefits of the fee charged to get a non-b and a extension of stay based upon working.

Thanks, Joe. Such a visa/extension of stay makes us independent from any employees and it's much easier to apply for a work permit, fewer documents are needed for the permission of stay. 

Some agencies /school admins might try to tell you that it has to be a Non-B, but that's not true. 

14 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Assuming you had an extension based on marriage, your wife runs a small agency business, but your acting as a consultant, what documents would the labour office require to issue a WP.

It would have to be registered sole proprietorship forit to even be considered. Not sure if it is still allowed under the current ministerial regulations. The one I have seen is the 2004 regulation and it allowed a work permit if the business had a gross income 850k baht.

The easy way now is to form a 50/49 partnership with the wife with 1 million baht registered capital. It would require 2 or 4 Thai employees dependent upon the office where the work permit is applied for.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

There is no such requirement. It can be a single entry non-o.

Most of time when people told no it is an agent/lawyer due it ignorance or for their financial benefits of the fee charged to get a non-b and a extension of stay based upon working.

I agree with you Joe, unfortunately not all Thais seem to, It was Mukdahan Immigration who said that I had to have a non B, didn't matter to me as the school paid for my trip to get it so was just a paid 2 day holiday for me....

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, zyphodb said:

I agree with you Joe, unfortunately not all Thais seem to, It was Mukdahan Immigration who said that I had to have a non B, didn't matter to me as the school paid for my trip to get it so was just a paid 2 day holiday for me....

Not sure why you were asking immigration about work permit requirements since they do not issue them.

There is no requirement to have a non -b visa to get a work permit. It only has to be a non immigrant visa.

When applying for the work permit a copy of the marriage certificate is needed to prove the reason for the non-o or the extension of stay was done.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It would have to be registered sole proprietorship forit to even be considered. Not sure if it is still allowed under the current ministerial regulations. The one I have seen is the 2004 regulation and it allowed a work permit if the business had a gross income 850k baht.

The easy way now is to form a 50/49 partnership with the wife with 1 million baht registered capital. It would require 2 or 4 Thai employees dependent upon the office where the work permit is applied for.

Thank you Joe.

1 million baht registered capital isn't a problem, however this would be a new part time venture and I doubt it would gross 850K per annum.

She is already working and advising, however she frequently has to consult me on definitions and clarification of the English language. 

The business is run from home, no Thai employees.

I'm the one feeling guilty that really I should have a work permit for my contribution to her business.

Very interesting thread. 

I'm also holding a Non-O Spouse visa and also curious in this matter. 

Is it possible to get WP for part time job?

The school have now asked me a few times to teach English and science in English. I just feel that I don't want to go that road full time. 

• 11 months later...
52 minutes ago, tozmos said:

I have a Thai Wife Visa with a work permit. I will need to cancel my work permit soon. Will it affect my Thai Wife Visa which doesn't run out for another 10mths? Anyone been in this situation? 

It will have no effect on your non-o visa from an embassy or extension of stay issued by immigration if that is what you have since neither are tied to you having a work permit.

5 hours ago, tozmos said:

I have a Thai Wife Visa with a work permit. I will need to cancel my work permit soon. Will it affect my Thai Wife Visa which doesn't run out for another 10mths? Anyone been in this situation? 

UBJ has already answered but just be aware that the company are very likely to tell you it has to be cancelled because they usually don't know what they're doing.

Just get your WP cancelled and keep your passport away from them.

Been there a few times.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/24/2018 at 9:31 AM, Hupaponics said:

Very interesting thread. 

I'm also holding a Non-O Spouse visa and also curious in this matter. 

Is it possible to get WP for part time job?

The school have now asked me a few times to teach English and science in English. I just feel that I don't want to go that road full time. 

Just one point - being in Thailand on a spouse visa is a bit of a luxury compared to the run of the mill visas, and easy enough to renew.

Why put your spouse visa at risk by working without a work permit and as Ubon Joe has already mentioned you could get a work permit.

If the school has never previously been involved with work permits there's some chance they will instantly assume getting WPs is very complicated and therefore withdraw from the discussion.

In reality it's not that difficult at all and if you want to pursue this gather together all the required documents (they're not that complicated) and show the documents to the school immediately you raise the point about the school supporting the WP. Be sure to show the school the parts of the form the school must complete (quite easy) and emphasize that the other parts of the form you must complete.

Other points:

- Make sure you tell the school there is zero cost to them to get the WP issued.

- The 2 or 3 documents the school needs to supply to back up the fairly simple application form are straightforward documents the school uses every day of the week for all sorts of actions to run the school. None of these forms are secret or sensitive documents.

Good luck.

• Like 1