Shop selling barbecued seahorses at Pattaya Floating Market closed

webfact

Shop selling barbecued seahorses at Pattaya Floating Market closed

By The Nation

sho.jpg

Picture: Facebook Sophon

The management of the Pattaya Floating Market has closed a shop that was found selling barbecued seahorses to foreign tourists.

On Monday, a photo of barbecued seahorses was posted by a Thai Facebook user with a question asking whether the product was legal, leading to an outcry from many other Facebook users. The photo showed that the shop was selling seahorses for Bt150 each.

On Tuesday, Manas Meepong, managing director of the floating market, said he had ordered the shop to stop selling the protected marine life and also cancelled its licence effective immediately.

The shop was closed and a sign posted that it had been closed for violating the rules of the market.

The grilled seahorses were reportedly popular among Chinese tourists.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30336947

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-01-23

1 hour ago, watcharacters said:

What do Chinese NOT eat?

Not much.

They will eat anything with legs, except tables and chairs, anything from the water except boats. (As told to me by a Chinese tour guide 25 years ago).

I suppose the Great Famine of 1959-61 meant many had to eat whatever they could.

25 minutes ago, champers said:

Not much.

They will eat anything with legs, except tables and chairs, anything from the water except boats. (As told to me by a Chinese tour guide 25 years ago).

I suppose the Great Famine of 1959-61 meant many had to eat whatever they could.

For the record, I hold no hostitility  whatsoever against Chinese people.

I do, however,  wish there was a mandatory program required of  any Chinese wanting to do foreign travel on civility and such. 

I thank my lucky stars my genes did  not cause me to be  born poor in China.

48 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

For the record, I hold no hostitility  whatsoever against Chinese people.

I do, however,  wish there was a mandatory program required of  any Chinese wanting to do foreign travel on civility and such. 

I thank my lucky stars my genes did  not cause me to be  born poor in China.

I'm pretty sure they probably eat sea horses, and just about everything else living, in China as well.

17 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I'm pretty sure they probably eat sea horses, and just about everything else living, in China as well.

No doubt you're correct.  In WW2 Stalingrad people, under siege,  boiled wall paper to make soup out of the glue.

I hope China is beyond that.

11 minutes ago, realenglish1 said:

The Chinese have very twisted ideas as to what is heathy for them Like Tiger Bone or Bear gall bladder  Both of which have no benefit to your health other than a placebo effect

Don't forget rhino horn.

10 minutes ago, FashionExport said:

But where did they get seahorses ?

I have seen some in aquariums, can we also see them in the sea around here ?

Probably from China along with all the other foods Thailand imports as the Thais cannot be bothered to produce it.

Hang on a sec,,, No proof of where they came from,,,From the Ocean or Grown in a Fish pond,,,   In other country one can sell and Cook/eat Crock meat  and Other Protected Species if you are a certified grower,,, But no mention of anything here,,,,,,,,,, waiting for real news,,,,,,,,,,,,

15 hours ago, FashionExport said:

But where did they get seahorses ?

I have seen some in aquariums, can we also see them in the sea around here ?

From another news report:

"Mrs Pisri said she sold the grilled seahorses for about one month for tourists from China by buying dried seahorses for 80 baht each from a shop in Yaowarat in Bangkok and selling them 150 baht each."

1 hour ago, Henrik Andersen said:

Stop selling all sea food Thailand have over fishing for a decade now

Soon the fish gone but if do that Chinese will stop coming to Thailand 

Lots of fish and shrimp here are farmed.

That grilled fish you are eating may have been raised in a dough boy pool.

Archived