Thai Drivers License

eljuwa

Hello Chiang Mai Forum Members

I am 72 years old. Living in Thailand since January 2010. Presently in Chiang Mai since January 2012.

My Thai Drivers License is coming due in October 2018.

I am aware that when a person reaches 70 years of age that there are certain requirements for Thai Drivers License renewal.

Please let me know what will be required from me for this purpose.

Thank you very much

James

When living in Bangkok I missed the first renewal of my first year auto license by over a year and I had to take the color blindness, reaction time, depth of field, and a peripheral vision tests then take the written test on their antiquated testing machines. 

Be sure to go back through your answers and make sure the testing machine buttons didn't double or triple tap and record the wrong answer.  I failed the test the first time because of that then passed it an hour later by going through the answers enough times to make sure they were recorded correctly.  They now make you come back the next day in Pattaya to retake the written test.

To renew my 5 year auto driver's license in Pattaya I had I had to watch two boring videos and pay my money - no tests

I just renewed my first motorcycle license last Fall at age 75 in Pattaya a month after my birthday.  I had to take the color blindness, reaction time, and depth of field test and money to pay for the license - the same as everyone else.  I guess the video tape player was broken.  I arrived at 8 am (I know this because the King's song started playing as I arrived at the steps to the LTO and was finished by 10am.  The new license is good for almost 6 years since it is to the 5th birthday after you take the test.

To renew a 5 year license wait until just after when it expires on your birthday.  That way when you renew it it is good for 6 years.

I am 87. I went to get a new type driving licence to replace lifetime one, they said that they no longer allow foreigners to have them, but assured me my one was still valid and could use it till I died!

5 minutes ago, johnnyonesock said:

what paperwork do they require when renewing the 5 year driving license?

1) Photocopy of Passport ID page

2) Photocopy of Visa (and TM6 card)*

3) Affirmation of Residence**

4) Medical Certificate***

5) Existing Thai Drivers licence

*You can only renew for another 5 year licence if you hold a Non-Immigrant visa otherwise you can only get a 2 year temporary licence (even if you already hold a 5 year licence)

**Can be a Work Permit, House book (if you are listed), Proof of Residence from Immigration (if you have recently carried out a 90 day report), Affirmation of Residence from your Embassy

***This may or may not be necessary (I was told it was not, but had it anyway and they asked for it).

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

*You can only renew for another 5 year licence if you hold a Non-Immigrant visa otherwise you can only get a 2 year temporary licence (even if you already hold a 5 year licence)

**Can be a Work Permit, House book (if you are listed), Proof of Residence from Immigration (if you have recently carried out a 90 day report), Affirmation of Residence from your Embassy

***This may or may not be necessary (I was told it was not, but had it anyway and they asked for it).

Proof of Residence from Immigration (if you have recently carried out a 90 day report)

I am on a retirement visa extension and have a 12 month contract for my condo...will this suffice?

12 hours ago, johnnyonesock said:

Proof of Residence from Immigration (if you have recently carried out a 90 day report)

I am on a retirement visa extension and have a 12 month contract for my condo...will this suffice?

A rental contract will (usually) not suffice.

The requirement is 'affirmed' proof of residence.

But as you are on a Retirement Visa (Non-Immigrant Type O ????)...you should have carried out your 90 day Reports to Immigration.

IF you have carried out your 90 day reports to Immigration you can obtain a Proof of Residence letter from Immigration. 

Good news: IF, as it appears, you are on a Retirement Visa, which is a Non-Immigrant Type O you will be able to renew for another 5 year Thai Drivers Licence.

On 1/24/2018 at 10:48 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Good info, thanks for putting this up.

When renewing both motorcycle and auto, does it require a separate Proof of Residence for each or will they accept one and apply it to both licenses?  

Also, could you clarify what you are saying about (if you have recently carried out a 90 day report).  What is the connection with 90 day report and Proof of Residence? 

12 minutes ago, Nowisee said:

Good info, thanks for putting this up.

When renewing both motorcycle and auto, does it require a separate Proof of Residence for each or will they accept one and apply it to both licenses?  

Also, could you clarify what you are saying about (if you have recently carried out a 90 day report).  What is the connection with 90 day report and Proof of Residence? 

They will accept a photocopy of the proof of residence, thus, I'm of the assumption that 2 Original Copies are not required. IF 2 copies are required it would be easy enough to make a copy at the DLT (which usually have copy facilities). 

Note: The DLT only accept Original Copies of the Medical Certification, thus, when obtaining the Medical Certification it would be prudent to request 2 copies just two cover the possibility that 2 Original Copies are required. 

Regarding the 90 day issue: When making a 90 day report you are also officially confirming your address with immigration. For some reason the TM6 card filled out up on your arrival into Thailand is not considered.

Therefore: You have to have carried out a recent 90 day report after which time (on the same day or later within 90 days) you can obtain a notarized 'Affirmation of Residence' (proof of address) from Immigration. 

Thats just the way it is... Thus, if you have not remained in Thailand for longer than 90 days you will be unable to obtain an affirmation of address from immigration and will have to rely on an expensive Affirmation Letter from your Embassy, or use your Work Permit (if working) or House Book (if you are registered).

• 11 months later...

Archived