BANGKOK 17 February 2019 13:43
eljuwa

Thai Drivers License

Hello Chiang Mai Forum Members

I am 72 years old. Living in Thailand since January 2010. Presently in Chiang Mai since January 2012.

My Thai Drivers License is coming due in October 2018.

I am aware that when a person reaches 70 years of age that there are certain requirements for Thai Drivers License renewal.

Please let me know what will be required from me for this purpose.

Thank you very much

James

Passport. Proof of Residency which the Yellow Book can provide and the old DL. 

1 hour ago, Headgame said:

Just had my license renewed (age 73). No special tests or requirements 

Where did you go to have it renewed

37 minutes ago, realenglish1 said:

Driving License and Test Centre is on 108, left hand side as you leave town, past Tesco's and before Big C 1.

When living in Bangkok I missed the first renewal of my first year auto license by over a year and I had to take the color blindness, reaction time, depth of field, and a peripheral vision tests then take the written test on their antiquated testing machines. 

Be sure to go back through your answers and make sure the testing machine buttons didn't double or triple tap and record the wrong answer.  I failed the test the first time because of that then passed it an hour later by going through the answers enough times to make sure they were recorded correctly.  They now make you come back the next day in Pattaya to retake the written test.

To renew my 5 year auto driver's license in Pattaya I had I had to watch two boring videos and pay my money - no tests

I just renewed my first motorcycle license last Fall at age 75 in Pattaya a month after my birthday.  I had to take the color blindness, reaction time, and depth of field test and money to pay for the license - the same as everyone else.  I guess the video tape player was broken.  I arrived at 8 am (I know this because the King's song started playing as I arrived at the steps to the LTO and was finished by 10am.  The new license is good for almost 6 years since it is to the 5th birthday after you take the test.

To renew a 5 year license wait until just after when it expires on your birthday.  That way when you renew it it is good for 6 years.

Edited by HarrySeaman

2 hours ago, Boon Mee said:

Passport. Proof of Residency which the Yellow Book can provide and the old DL. 

Who would believe you trump

37 minutes ago, realenglish1 said:

Driving License and Test Centre is on 108, left hand side as you leave town, past Tesco's and before Big C 1.

I am 87. I went to get a new type driving licence to replace lifetime one, they said that they no longer allow foreigners to have them, but assured me my one was still valid and could use it till I died!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The one thing that everyone has missed, don't forget to have your medical

5 minutes ago, johnnyonesock said:

what paperwork do they require when renewing the 5 year driving license?

1) Photocopy of Passport ID page

2) Photocopy of Visa (and TM6 card)*

3) Affirmation of Residence**

4) Medical Certificate***

5) Existing Thai Drivers licence

*You can only renew for another 5 year licence if you hold a Non-Immigrant visa otherwise you can only get a 2 year temporary licence (even if you already hold a 5 year licence)

**Can be a Work Permit, House book (if you are listed), Proof of Residence from Immigration (if you have recently carried out a 90 day report), Affirmation of Residence from your Embassy

***This may or may not be necessary (I was told it was not, but had it anyway and they asked for it).