Short term condo rental crackdown?

mockingbird

So it's "catch me once, shame on you, catch me twice, shame on me", is it?

Will owners not resident in Thailand flout the law and wait to see if they can be touched? Without the threat of seizing the property it seems to me the stick isn't big enough.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/25/2018 at 8:41 AM, Chiangmaijoseph said:

Hallo, yesterday my wife went to the Immigration Office to ask if she can rent her condo for short term. The answer was  YES she can, provided that she submits the TM 30 each time within 24 hours. Now today she will talk to the building manager who put up the sign in the first place which says NO short time rental allowed because of Immigration Laws. Will see what happens, when she is confronting him with the facts?

Airbnb is very passive in this matter and does not warn guests of this regulation. 

Now she will file and  pay taxes on income.

Now she will file and  pay taxes on income.
Be careful. It has nothing to do with Immigration for permission to rent.

Condominiums are controlled under the Hotel Act and Condominium Act.

Immigration has no interest or control of theses laws. Only submission of TM30.

You are allowed to rent out your condominium for a minimum of 30 days unless you are living in a Condotel which has a Hotel Licence.

Your local District Office (not City Hall) will be able to tell you if you are allowed to do daily rentals.

Most OTA's are not designed for specific countries and are therefore not much help to hosts. They prefer not to get involved.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, Lumbini said:

What if the actual owner of the condo that will be rented short term is an American citizen ?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

American, Thai or any other nationality of condo short-term renter is not going to submit a TM30. They would be announcing to Thai authorities that they are breaking the law and are liable for payment of tax. Unless in a condotel, they are also announcing they are breaking the rules of their condo complex.

American, Thai or any other nationality of condo short-term renter is not going to submit a TM30. They would be announcing to Thai authorities that they are breaking the law and are liable for payment of tax. Unless in a condotel, they are also announcing they are breaking the rules of their condo complex.
Only thing is. That would add another charge to your offences. If your management or neighbours reported you doing daily rentals.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 6/10/2018 at 6:41 PM, mugaly said:

Correct.  Alot of people do not understand the legal concept of a condo, and yet they still invest....sigh!

And those who have never bought a condo here like to discuss the legalities without any experience as a condo owner or committee member. 

The condo owners get to decide how their money is spent and this includes the responsibilities of the staff or contractors they employ.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived