Short term condo rental crackdown?

mockingbird

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

The Base owner (Sansiri) ? Does that mean its not individually owned condos ?

Sansiri is the developer, the condos are individually owned.  Sansiri does, however, have a rental subsidiary called Holiday something or other that, I believe, still does condo rentals from office space at The Base.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, newnative said:

Sansiri is the developer, the condos are individually owned.  Sansiri does, however, have a rental subsidiary called Holiday something or other that, I believe, still does condo rentals from office space at The Base.

That does get confusing and often the case when the block isnt all sold and transitioning from developer to condo block. Theoretically they may even have a hotel license for several floors in the building. There are lots of blocks in BKK where floors 1-10 is ACME hotel and floors 11-20 is ACME condo.

15 minutes ago, newnative said:

This is true.  Holiday Vacation Rentals.

On the ST rental deal.  The Base is not sold out.  But, they have sold several if not many units to people who came in as ST renters, liked it, and bought.

So in reality, they do not want to stop it as it increases their foot traffic 10 fold for potential buyers. Biting off the hand that feeds you so to speak.

Anyway, maybe when the place is entirely sold out or full to their satisfaction, will they be motivated to do something.

There are some Hiso Bangkok Thais who come on the weekend I am surprised they have not put up more of a stink.

Probably just don't care I guess.

37 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

This is true.  Holiday Vacation Rentals.

On the ST rental deal.  The Base is not sold out.  But, they have sold several if not many units to people who came in as ST renters, liked it, and bought.

So in reality, they do not want to stop it as it increases their foot traffic 10 fold for potential buyers. Biting off the hand that feeds you so to speak.

Anyway, maybe when the place is entirely sold out or full to their satisfaction, will they be motivated to do something.

There are some Hiso Bangkok Thais who come on the weekend I am surprised they have not put up more of a stink.

Probably just don't care I guess.

I'm also surprised that the Bangkok owners haven't raised more of a stink.  

2 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

That does get confusing and often the case when the block isnt all sold and transitioning from developer to condo block. Theoretically they may even have a hotel license for several floors in the building. There are lots of blocks in BKK where floors 1-10 is ACME hotel and floors 11-20 is ACME condo.

Amari

20 minutes ago, BlackJack said:

A hotel license is applied for before the building is started. It is difficult to get a license after and the building would need to comply with many conditions. 

95% impossible to comply after the fact and because the license law has not been enforced for decades they have decided it is a good idea to gut the vast majority of ST rentals in the country. Sounds like a well thought through plan ?

1 minute ago, Peterw42 said:

I was using ACME as a generic company name, I watched to  many bugs bunny/road runner cartoons as a kid, lol

Gotcha G, Amari on the hill the up floors residences with private elevators, lower floors hotel. Unixx, another complex going up the hill is in full hotel mode and you couldn't pay me to live there.

Over the last couple of years my wife and I have used Airbnb to stay at a variety of condos by way of experiment to see how we got on with condo living (my wife has money in the bank and wants to "invest" in a condo.....).

Anyway, we tried The Base and it was just dreadful. Hordes of noisy Chinese and the building is poorly soundproofed. I pity anyone who lives there full time. Ditto Unixx - which we were glad to leave.

VT6 is another one popular with holidaymakers (lots of Indians) but at least it seems quite well soundproofed - even if it does have the atmosphere of a large social housing project.

3 minutes ago, HauptmannUK said:

Over the last couple of years my wife and I have used Airbnb to stay at a variety of condos by way of experiment to see how we got on with condo living (my wife has money in the bank and wants to "invest" in a condo.....).

Anyway, we tried The Base and it was just dreadful. Hordes of noisy Chinese and the building is poorly soundproofed. I pity anyone who lives there full time. Ditto Unixx - which we were glad to leave.

VT6 is another one popular with holidaymakers (lots of Indians) but at least it seems quite well soundproofed - even if it does have the atmosphere of a large social housing project.

Condos, especially in LOS is a really bad place to put your money. Many better investments and come time to sell your in competition with hundreds of other sellers with units identical to yours. Add to that the fact it will have aged and people here prefer to be new. And then there are the hordes to deal with.

Maybe there is a consensus between large condo developers and hotel chains that the small guesthouses and bars with rooms are regulated out of business. The big boys share the spoils and have the clout to spur government into action to do their bidding.

8 minutes ago, champers said:

Maybe there is a consensus between large condo developers and hotel chains that the small guesthouses and bars with rooms are regulated out of business. The big boys share the spoils and have the clout to spur government into action to do their bidding.

The seven hotels raided in Patty were no guesthouses but rather large, very nice hotels. If I had to take a guess maybe 75% of ST housing is not licensed properly and do not conform with the Hotel Act 2016. 

Just now, JAZZDOG said:

The seven hotels raided in Patty were no guesthouses but rather large, very nice hotels. If I had to take a guess maybe 75% of ST housing is not licensed properly and do not conform with the Hotel Act 2016. 

Part of a chain, national or multinational? That is my point.

26 minutes ago, HauptmannUK said:

I rent at The Base (would never buy) and have since they opened. I am on the highest floor with a great view no noise, 2 50" TV's, great modern fast internet.  It is not big, but very comfortable for me being single.

Some of what you say is true.  The Chinese can be annoying but I have found a way to avoid them now via an alternative entry to the building.  I am very sensitive to sound and do not hear anything at night.  Doors do slam occasionally like most places.

Anyway, or me it is about the location.  Walk to the malls, movie, beach, markets, bars, golf transport and many ladies available within a 10 minute walk.  I could not get anything close to this with my lifestyle in my home country..  

No place is perfect.  If you are with a GF or wife maybe not totally ideal.

But, it certainly works for me.

Good luck in your search some good deals out there now especially in Jomtien.

1 minute ago, champers said:

Part of a chain, national or multinational? That is my point.

I understand but I don't believe that lobby would be enough to push the government to effectively gut 75% of the industry. Think of the lost revenue for the government and the bad PR for tourism. I think we will see exceptions made to allow licensing of those affected.

17 hours ago, inThailand said:

You're missing the point.  It's not the job of the condo management to rent out condos.  Condo management keeps the pools clean, maintains the property, manages the staff, pays the bills, enforces the condo rules, etc. 

Yes and no, the condo management can do as the condo owners decide. If the condo owners want the mgmt they pay to run a rental program they can. 

Correct.  Alot of people do not understand the legal concept of a condo, and yet they still invest....sigh!

7 hours ago, JAZZDOG said:

Condos, especially in LOS is a really bad place to put your money. Many better investments and come time to sell your in competition with hundreds of other sellers with units identical to yours. Add to that the fact it will have aged and people here prefer to be new. And then there are the hordes to deal with.

I agree, but my wife thinks differently and its her money to spend....

7 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I rent at The Base (would never buy) and have since they opened. I am on the highest floor with a great view no noise, 2 50" TV's, great modern fast internet.  It is not big, but very comfortable for me being single.

Some of what you say is true.  The Chinese can be annoying but I have found a way to avoid them now via an alternative entry to the building.  I am very sensitive to sound and do not hear anything at night.  Doors do slam occasionally like most places.

Anyway, or me it is about the location.  Walk to the malls, movie, beach, markets, bars, golf transport and many ladies available within a 10 minute walk.  I could not get anything close to this with my lifestyle in my home country..  

No place is perfect.  If you are with a GF or wife maybe not totally ideal.

But, it certainly works for me.

Good luck in your search some good deals out there now especially in Jomtien.

All of what I say is true as far as I am concerned.

The Base is a very convenient place to stay if you want to be in the heart of the 'action' - but its not somewhere I could ever call home - it would be like living in some kind of transit camp.  We stayed for 10 days about a year ago. It really was pretty bad.  For 4-5 days we had a group of about SEVEN Chinese crammed into the double room next to us (I guess no one checks occupancy) and noise went on around the clock.  Holidaymakers, mostly noisy and ill-mannered Chinese, seemed to arrive/depart the building at all hours of the day and night.  If short term rentals could be stopped then things would be improved massively.

This year we tried Unixx, which didn't seem as bad as the Base, although I was not impressed with the build quality and the room layouts are very cramped.

Guest houses in jomtien soi welcome were raised Friday and arrests were made

This subject is not about your post.

Can you not keep kn subject???

A hotel license is applied for before the building is started. It is difficult to get a license after and the building would need to comply with many conditions. 

7 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

All of what I say is true as far as I am concerned.

The Base is a very convenient place to stay if you want to be in the heart of the 'action' - but its not somewhere I could ever call home - it would be like living in some kind of transit camp.  We stayed for 10 days about a year ago. It really was pretty bad.  For 4-5 days we had a group of about SEVEN Chinese crammed into the double room next to us (I guess no one checks occupancy) and noise went on around the clock.  Holidaymakers, mostly noisy and ill-mannered Chinese, seemed to arrive/depart the building at all hours of the day and night.  If short term rentals could be stopped then things would be improved massively.

This year we tried Unixx, which didn't seem as bad as the Base, although I was not impressed with the build quality and the room layouts are very cramped.

And, there lies the problem.  "We stayed for 10 days..."  And, by staying for just10 days in an illegal short-term rental you, yourself, contributed to the feeling of a "transit camp".  

8 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

The Base is a very convenient place to stay if you want to be in the heart of the 'action' - but its not somewhere I could ever call home - it would be like living in some kind of transit camp.

Life is a transit camp!

Check out the new post about Hua Hin illegal hotels. NOT by ME.

It isn't only about illegal condominium rentals, illegal villa rentals, illegal licences and corrupt officials, copied licences and fake hotels. It is about thousands of businesses and travellers being affected if it continues.

Good to see some interest being shown in topics that are already affecting many businesses in Thailand under the 2016 amendment to the Hotel Act (2004) or the Condominium Act.

This is also about thousands of legitimate honest and hard working, tax paying businesses all over Thailand employing staff that have been affected, raided, closed and now face charges in courts, fines imposed and possible imprisonment for something that to many was totally legal until August 19th 2016.

I have posted a couple of topics in Thai Visa that are now becoming related and even though I do not always provide the requested sources or proof concerning my comments. Things ARE happening that affect both Travellers to Thailand and Thousands of small businesses offering short term daily rentals.

Remember Pattaya boasts of Tourist levels near 7 million each year, and with hotels that currently hold a licence standing at less than 300 (reported by the District Chief of Banglamung) makes me wonder where all the tourists are staying.

2 hours ago, sam neuts said:

Check out the new post about Hua Hin illegal hotels. NOT by ME.

It isn't only about illegal condominium rentals, illegal villa rentals, illegal licences and corrupt officials, copied licences and fake hotels. It is about thousands of businesses and travellers being affected if it continues.

Good to see some interest being shown in topics that are already affecting many businesses in Thailand under the 2016 amendment to the Hotel Act (2004) or the Condominium Act.

This is also about thousands of legitimate honest and hard working, tax paying businesses all over Thailand employing staff that have been affected, raided, closed and now face charges in courts, fines imposed and possible imprisonment for something that to many was totally legal until August 19th 2016.

I have posted a couple of topics in Thai Visa that are now becoming related and even though I do not always provide the requested sources or proof concerning my comments. Things ARE happening that affect both Travellers to Thailand and Thousands of small businesses offering short term daily rentals.

Remember Pattaya boasts of Tourist levels near 7 million each year, and with hotels that currently hold a licence standing at less than 300 (reported by the District Chief of Banglamung) makes me wonder where all the tourists are staying.

Per the topic heading, they are staying in some of the 150,000 condo rooms. How many? Who knows?

Your posting about hotels where the topic is condos, though they are also operating as "hotels".

• 2 weeks later...

Archived