Ex-pats In Nan Province

lardnan

• 1 year later...

My Thai wife and I are about to make the trek from Phuket up to her home town of Nan.

The last (and only) time we visited was for our wedding ceremony which was held in her village about half an hours drive into the mountains.

We are thinking of spending more time in Nan with a view to permanent residence.

So, I was wondering if there is much of an Ex-Pat Community up there, from what I have seen on this site most people live in Issan and CR, CM.

I asked my wife and she told me that there was this one farang who married a local in Nan and lives in the mountains but I am sure there are more. :o

Hopefully this may start a new section for all those Naners, Nanites out there.

Any info would be much appreciated.

Hi this is my first post,

Is there anyone living in the nan area?

I will be moving there in Nov and I want some opinions of day to day life there,

Thanks.

Finally, Lardnan, after one and a half year it looks as if you are going to get company.

Limbo

• 3 years later...

I try to wake up this one!

Going to Nan with some friends in the very near future.

So how is it there today? Will there be any red-shirts meeting we can attend

or can we concentrate on good food and cold beer?

And of course the museum!

Can we still go to Suriyan Gardens to get some excellent food and good music?

Someone in the province or someone that been there recently?

:D:):D

I try to wake up this one!

Going to Nan with some friends in the very near future.

So how is it there today? Will there be any red-shirts meeting we can attend

or can we concentrate on good food and cold beer?

And of course the museum!

Can we still go to Suriyan Gardens to get some excellent food and good music?

Someone in the province or someone that been there recently?

BigBikeBKK (Tony) in the biker forum took several trips to Nan over the winter riding season so may be more up to date than this thread. He seems a helpful sort so may give you some ideas.

Thanks for waking this one up......I've planned several trips to Nan, but have never made it because of 'things'. I will some day, as nan is one of the few places in the north that I haven't been.

Wondering if the OP did make the move there. I see only one post and no more.

So, what does Nan have to offer the falang tourist?? How is the climate there/cooler than CM in the summer?? Any falang friendly nightlife??

So, what does Nan have to offer the falang tourist?? How is the climate there/cooler than CM in the summer?? Any falang friendly nightlife??

I will report after the weekend!

Thank you VF, I tried to find info in the bikeforum but found that more info about Nan, where to stay and where to eat, is in gt-rider dot com. Lots of info there about hotels, restaurants and interesting roads to, from and around Nan. Good bikeroads !

:):D:D

You are right. I should have thought of gt-rider. They always have good road tips for the North and Nan is a favorite for good bike roads and riders who love the twisty stuff. Have a good trip and take some pictures. (Tony is a regular poster there as well.)

Edited by villagefarang

Back home again after just a 2-days trip to Nan with 4 other Young Boys.

The roads are very good, especially 1148 between Tha Wang Pha and Chiang Kham.

We stayed at Deraway hotel, it was OK. We had dinner at Suriyans Garden (I think, that was the place the GPS took us to :D )

and the food was OK and the music loud, very loud.

Same minute we came back to the hotel, around 8 pm, the heaven open and it was a torrential rain for hours. 2 minutes later the electricity was gone so instead of going up to our rooms we had to stay in the coffeebar and drink beer. Shit happens.

I do not think Nan is the place to go for HulaBallou but if you like good roads (for motorbikes) and fantastic scenery, cannot find much better in Thailand.

We took the road passing Chun and Pong going to Nan and passing Chiang Kham going back to Chiang Rai.

• 3 weeks later...