Tambien baan is no longer accepted by DLT

21 minutes ago, anfh said:

Had exactly the same last month. Gave my yellow book in to girl at top of stairs, she then got someone else to look at it, then they look at the list of documents they can accept, and as yellow book is not on their list - only certificate of residence, they refuse yellow book. They are not capable of taking something that is not on there standard list etc.

had to go to Jomtiem etc, but they will accept just one Certificate and a photocopy of it for the two licenses. - .Upside was that by the time I got back to DLT Office I was too late for the video etc so they just took money and gave me five year licenses!!! 

"and as yellow book is not on their list - only certificate of residence, "

Also workpermit is accepted.

1 hour ago, Pattaya46 said:

Uh?? :unsure:

And what do you read if not ทะเบียนบ้าน on the cover below ?

house-book-yellow.jpg

Correct, tabien/tabian baan (a house registration document, commonly used in Thailand to provide proof of address)

Thai householders have a blue book. 

Is it only in Pattaya and Chiang Mai there seem to be problems re proof of residence using yellow book?

If you can get one in your province that's fine, if you can't that's no problem. It varies from one jurisdiction to another and on the mood of the boss in the amphur office on any particular day.  

2 hours ago, thurien said:

normally, you get this once over the age of 75...

I am sure I did not get my Thai lifetime driving licence abnormally in 1974, when I was considerably younger than 75 years. In fact, the lifetime licence was the only one available at that time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gamini said:

The yellow book is not a tambien baan . Having lived here for the last 35 years I can not think of a single time I ever could have used it! I have posted before on this forum that it serves no purpose whatsoever.

You don't seemed to have learned much in these supposed 35 years do you. Serves a great deal of purpose in my very limited 2.5 years of living here.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

Uh?? :unsure:

And what do you read if not ทะเบียนบ้าน on the cover below ?

house-book-yellow.jpg

It is not in any way the equivalent of a blue one even though it carries the same name

2 hours ago, Ditto said:

You don't seemed to have learned much in these supposed 35 years do you. Serves a great deal of purpose in my very limited 2.5 years of living here.

what purpose does it have that can replace use of a Thai driving licence or certificate of residence. No bank will accept the yellow book to do any transaction, they all demand a passport. I have never had a need for it, I have several bank accounts,  Thai brokerage accounts, credit cards etc. so what do I have to learn?

• Like 1

Two years ago my yellow book saved me a 3 hour round driving trip to get a certificate of residence for the DLT to issue my license. They told me where to go and come back with the form and when I asked what about my yellow book everything changed and they processed me to get a 2 year temporary motorbike and car license on the spot. Muang Phon

5 hours ago, Gandtee said:

Can I use the Yellow book for a license renewal if the house address is in a different province to the VDL office?

I suspect that the house registration book is not accepted as proof of address because many people in Thailand do not live at the address shown for them in this book.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gamini said:

what purpose does it have that can replace use of a Thai driving licence or certificate of residence. No bank will accept the yellow book to do any transaction, they all demand a passport. I have never had a need for it, I have several bank accounts,  Thai brokerage accounts, credit cards etc. so what do I have to learn?

I needed my yellow book to open a bank account ( obviously I need my passport to make withdraws) , register a post paid sim card, register at the local government hospital, used it to renew my driver license in PATTAYA 2 years ago but needed to show the blue book as well, needed it to apply for my pink id card.................shall I go on?

By the way, you say you have credits cards, so most probably you have a work permit and yes in that case you don't need a yellow book.

Edited by janclaes47

On 1/26/2018 at 7:45 AM, TheSwede99 said:

So DLT demands CR from imigration to give you a new DL and 
imigration demands a DL to give you a CR to show to DLT as proof.

Need to understand the Thai way of thinking...:smile:

14 hours ago, gamini said:

This has been explained before. Your passport has your name in English script, open a bank account with a passport and the account name is "name in english". Yellow book has your name in Thai script, open an account with a yellow book and the account name is "name in Thai". you cant present a yellow book (name in thai) as ID for "name in English account, and vica versa, you cant present a passport (name in english) as ID for a "name in Thai account".

As others have mentioned, I have used yellow book exclusively at Pattaya DLT over the past couple of years. Lots of reports that they now dont accept it.

I think it may come down to the English script/Thai script thing (see post 26). License has your name in English, yellow book has your name in Thai.

It would be interesting to see if you started the process, getting a license with name in Thai script, if yellow book (name in Thai) would be accepted as proof.

A thai license with name in English has your passport number on the license. A thai license in Thai (name) has your citizen Number (from yellow book/Pink ID). I can see the logic behind it.

Than again, TIT

Edited by Peterw42

15 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

As others have mentioned, I have used yellow book exclusively at Pattaya DLT over the past couple of years. Lots of reports that they now dont accept it.

I think it may come down to the English script/Thai script thing (see post 26). License has your name in English, yellow book has your name in Thai.

It would be interesting to see if you started the process, getting a license with name in Thai script, if yellow book (name in Thai) would be accepted as proof.

A thai license with name in English has your passport number on the license. A thai license in Thai (name) has your citizen Number (from yellow book/Pink ID). I can see the logic behind it.

Than again, TIT

I was turned away by Pattaya DLT about 3 years ago, they said had to be CR from immigration. Went to the Chonburi office the same afternoon,no problem.

1 minute ago, sandyf said:

I was turned away by Pattaya DLT about 3 years ago, they said had to be CR from immigration. Went to the Chonburi office the same afternoon,no problem.

Yes, I have done the same.(moving a car from BKK to chonburi) I think pattaya is like a branch office and Chonburi is the head office for the province. Apparently the number plate machine is at Chonburi, pattaya waits for delivery.

My first 2 year license was with my passport number and name in English on it. Since then I have had it renewed with my Thai ID-card and now it has my Thai ID-card number on it and my name on the license is in both English and Thai script.

• Like 2