Congratulations!

Sunbelt Asia

Hey, is this in the same place where that indian curry place used to be, next to DHL, and very close to your own Sunbelt Office?

If it is, you have one BIG problem, that is the Indian Tailors who stand outside and harrass anyone who walks by. God, atleast 5 different times I started to go into the indian curry place but the moment the tailors surround me, i do a 180 degrees turn and get the hel_l out of there.

That Indian Tailor that was there before, sold out. The new owner is quite nice. Never seen the new owner or his employees even approach someone. Problem solved. :o

that is not a good location to get thais. if youre serious about getting thais then open it in mbk or siam square

Its not just Thais we are looking to serve. :-)

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see one potential problem with your business plan. Thais and Farangs have very different tastes. If Thais love your food, chances are the majority of Farangs will not, and vice-versa. I've gone with my wife for Mexican food a few times, and she nibbled at it, but she didn't really enjoy it. It's not just Thais, but Asians in general that don't really care for Mexican food unless it's customized to their local tastes. I have actual experience with this with numerous Asians and almost without exception they do not really care for good Mexican food the first or even second time they try it. If you force them to eat it enough, they often do come around eventually though.

So unless you have both Farang and Thai versions, I think you'll alienate part of your target market. Or perhaps have some choice of sauces that can be added to make the taste more Thai.

There are always a large number of Thais in that location, especially at lunchtime, so I don't see the location as being much of a problem. The size of the place is very small though, isn't it? With quite limited seating? Probably not a problem for the Thais who are used to eating from street vendors, but could be a turn-off for some newbie Farangs. I'll definitely give it a shot after it opens and post my opinion as I think a good mexican joint with reasonable prices is a nice addition to the selection of western food places in Bangkok.

I see one potential problem with your business plan. Thais and Farangs have very different tastes. If Thais love your food, chances are the majority of Farangs will not, and vice-versa. I've gone with my wife for Mexican food a few times, and she nibbled at it, but she didn't really enjoy it. It's not just Thais, but Asians in general that don't really care for Mexican food unless it's customized to their local tastes. I have actual experience with this with numerous Asians and almost without exception they do not really care for good Mexican food the first or even second time they try it. If you force them to eat it enough, they often do come around eventually though.

So unless you have both Farang and Thai versions, I think you'll alienate part of your target market. Or perhaps have some choice of sauces that can be added to make the taste more Thai.

There are always a large number of Thais in that location, especially at lunchtime, so I don't see the location as being much of a problem. The size of the place is very small though, isn't it? With quite limited seating? Probably not a problem for the Thais who are used to eating from street vendors, but could be a turn-off for some newbie Farangs. I'll definitely give it a shot after it opens and post my opinion as I think a good mexican joint with reasonable prices is a nice addition to the selection of western food places in Bangkok.

Thanks for your comments.

One of the biggest disadvantages with a casual take is limited seating. We are addressing the seating by having more tables and chairs in the parking lot. (Ok with the landlord as long as the other tenants don’t complain why we can and they can’t) Even though the store is cheerful and lively, it will be a place that you won’t hang out long.

The other biggest disadvantage is price. Our prices are considerably less than the competition of sit down Mexican restaurants. In most cases 50-70% less. A sit down restaurant does not need to feed many people with those types of margins. While with our prices, we need volume and lots of people. Is it possible with this niche? If you stereotype nationalities, Americans in Thailand are the biggest fans of Mexican food. Can you reach the masses by having a lower price point?

What are the advantages of a QSR?

Convenience: Open 24 hours.

Location: One block away from Subway Station, Sky train, has parking, Lower Sukhumvit with walk by traffic.

In and out in 2 minutes: All Mexican restaurants in BKk are sit-down. Not aware of any Mexican quick service or Mexican fast casual exist in Bangkok. Sunrise Tacos will be. The closet Mexican restaurant would be El Gordos but this still is more sit-down and ordering off a menu.

The customer is the conductor: No Mexican restaurant has an unlimited selection of sauces, meats, sour cream, cheeses when the burrito or taco is made in front of them with how they want it. Sunrise Taco will have a clear advantage. If the customer wants it hotter or mild tasting, it’s his choice. The closest to having selection is Bourbon Street Mexican buffet on Tuesday nights.

The Mexican food is authentic. Sunrise crispy tacos are made from corn, not store bought. The flour tortillas are made by hand as are the beans, guacamole, and salsas which are fresh. This is very much labor intensive. With high customer turnover per hour, the food is even fresher.

Service: We are paying much higher salaries than other QSR’s to attract people that will smile and care about the customer. They will be well paid but will work hard as well.

I must say in any of the restaurants that I have ever been involved in. This has been the hardest and more stressful opening than any other. The reason why; a franchisor will train your management staff or when you take over an existing restaurant, you already have a system in place. Now it’s been non stop testing recipes, training staff….. reinventing the wheel. It’s been a challenge to say the least. :o

One thing is for sure, no matter how good the taste is with some customers. Others will not like it. Why?.. so many regions have different Mexican food. Even in the States you will find four or five different variations on how people expect a burrito. It is impossible to be just like Mammas home cooking for everyone.

We'll just have fun trying to be one of the best in town and see how the customer likes the food.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

It's not just Thais, but Asians in general that don't really care for Mexican food unless it's customized to their local tastes. I have actual experience with this with numerous Asians and almost without exception they do not really care for good Mexican food the first or even second time they try it. If you force them to eat it enough, they often do come around eventually though.

I have different experiences actually. I was in Coyote at the weekend and there were more Thais in there than farrangs, and the table that I joined of approximately 8 Thais and 3 farrangs were all enjoying the food immensely. My girlfriend also likes Mexican food as do her Thai friends.

I'll never forget the look on a Thai colleagues face when he tried his first bean burrito. Was sort of like the look on a baby's face when they first try solid foods. Not entirely bad, but just didn't know what to do with it. That said, I very much look forward to a place like this opening in Bangkok. I've had many "Matt's Mexican Fiesta's" (complete with sombrero's for all guests) at my home over the past number of years and the preparation times for each item (as Sunbelt Asia has mentioned above) is killer, if you want to do it right. Would be nice next time my wife has a hankering for some Mexican, we could pop over to Sunrise Taco for a fix.

I have three suggestions.

#1. Ensure at least the beans are vegetarian (i.e. no lard. This is sort of a selfish request, but I believe others would appreciate it. If you want to add fat to the beans, veg oil works perfectly fine).

#2. Have some hookup for delivery. I don't know what/if the restaurant has to pay to be on Food By Phone's list, but I think it would certainly help business since a great deal of foreigners are ordering from there.

#3. As people have said, Thai's have different tastes (if you're going to generalize) as well as different nationalities/regions of foreigners. Not that I'm a big fan of Pizza Co, but...they went and made their pizza's appealing to both sides of the fence. You can have farang style (with the traditional toppings) or Thai style (shrimp and ketchup, or whatever else...). Same could be done with Sunrise Taco. The base (taco shell / tortilla) and filling (beans, rice, meat) would stay the same and the numerous sauces could help customize to Thai or foreign tongues. Fresh guac / mole / salsa, or sweet chilli sauce with flossy pork garnish. Up to you, right?

Very much looking forward to giving this place a go!

Edited by StrongView

I'll never forget the look on a Thai colleagues face when he tried his first bean burrito. Was sort of like the look on a baby's face when they first try solid foods. Not entirely bad, but just didn't know what to do with it. That said, I very much look forward to a place like this opening in Bangkok. I've had many "Matt's Mexican Fiesta's" (complete with sombrero's for all guests) at my home over the past number of years and the preparation times for each item (as Sunbelt Asia has mentioned above) is killer, if you want to do it right. Would be nice next time my wife has a hankering for some Mexican, we could pop over to Sunrise Taco for a fix.

I have three suggestions.

#1. Ensure at least the beans are vegetarian (i.e. no lard. This is sort of a selfish request, but I believe others would appreciate it. If you want to add fat to the beans, veg oil works perfectly fine).

#2. Have some hookup for delivery. I don't know what/if the restaurant has to pay to be on Food By Phone's list, but I think it would certainly help business since a great deal of foreigners are ordering from there.

#3. As people have said, Thai's have different tastes (if you're going to generalize) as well as different nationalities/regions of foreigners. Not that I'm a big fan of Pizza Co, but...they went and made their pizza's appealing to both sides of the fence. You can have farang style (with the traditional toppings) or Thai style (shrimp and ketchup, or whatever else...). Same could be done with Sunrise Taco. The base (taco shell / tortilla) and filling (beans, rice, meat) would stay the same and the numerous sauces could help customize to Thai or foreign tongues. Fresh guac / mole / salsa, or sweet chilli sauce with flossy pork garnish. Up to you, right?

Very much looking forward to giving this place a go!

It's not just Thais, but Asians in general that don't really care for Mexican food unless it's customized to their local tastes. I have actual experience with this with numerous Asians and almost without exception they do not really care for good Mexican food the first or even second time they try it. If you force them to eat it enough, they often do come around eventually though.

I have different experiences actually. I was in Coyote at the weekend and there were more Thais in there than farrangs, and the table that I joined of approximately 8 Thais and 3 farrangs were all enjoying the food immensely. My girlfriend also likes Mexican food as do her Thai friends.

Senior Pico’s claims 40% of their customers are Thai. One of the Thai chefs made a comment yesterday" Mexican food is quite good” so am encouraged.

1. Ensure at least the beans are vegetarian (i.e. no lard. This is sort of a selfish request, but I believe others would appreciate it. If you want to add fat to the beans, veg oil works perfectly fine).
This is interesting comment as one of the bean dishes are going to be refried. Some Mexicans cooks use bacon drippings to give it an extra kick. Seems most people are not into lard these days.
Is there going to be a special Thai Visa "pre-opening" party?

More like a special big post opening party. Need to iron the kinks out first.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

when is this place ever going to open? hope it works since there seems to be alot invested already.

April 15th is the Opening. Hope to see you then.

The real investment has not been that big. However the hours spent on this versus time away from other businesses have been adding up. I’ve never been on such a roller coaster ride. This venture will either be wildly successful or it will bomb. I know what people want, its just getting from point A to Z.

Delivery is being worked on.

Greg

What, right in the middle of Songkran? Is that wise, and will you have the necessary staff still in Bangkok during the holiday period? Anyway, see you some time shortly afterwards I hope...

What, right in the middle of Songkran? Is that wise, and will you have the necessary staff still in Bangkok during the holiday period? Anyway, see you some time shortly afterwards I hope...

The soft opening is on April 15th. One of my biggest concerns is staff. We only seem to attract staff that used to work for us before. Think it’s the advert talking about a new restaurant concept that scares them.

We need 11 more people. Anyone knows any Thais that are outgoing and will work hard. Please send them my way. Thanks in advance. ( Your Thai contact will thank you as well, our pay scale is higher than most other restaurants)

Cinco de Mayo will be the Grand Opening.

See you Dantilley

Regards

Greg

I wonder how much of the local ingredients could be adapted to serve dishes that require similar tastes.

the thai take on too many western dishes (from any country) is that it needs to be light and sweet- look at bread that is most common in thailand. they put sweetened condensed milk on it and make it so it melts in the mouth. that isn't real bread, thats sugar foam and flour baked together. generally, real bread is similar to eating beer- thick, slighly bitter, good flavor, only difference is you don't get drunk.

I've done a bit of speculation about mexican food here since I've got a few spanish friends, and I think that if some of the ingredients were adaptable- such as using different types of beans, cherry tomatoes for sauces and dishes that require diced tomatoes, such as salsa, you could get by. local thai chillies would work just as well for the spices. the thing is that both countries have wonderful food that is abundant and cheap but is well known in at least north america (haven't been to europe, can't tell about it there).

the trouble is getting the ingredients that you can't fub, and getting them priced cheap enough to be able to make money off the dishes, and beyond that- business practice- using the rare ingredients in as few dishes as possible, but at the same time putting in some cheap rate to put them in any dish. what you need is to talk to some people who really know mexican/spanish food and know what they need that is hard to get here. some of the things are basic, like avacados, and a special type of dried corn for the tortillas. others might not be. I've only covered this briefly with the people I know, so I can't give much info.

I'd love to see this done successfully. I really miss good mexican food. I've got family in mexico and have had the real thing (I even ate cactus), so it'd be a big deal to see this kind of thing go up with realistic prices for thais to eat at regularly- I'd say something cheaper than the regular western restaurants- mayber 40 baht per taco, so you can get a good size meal for 80 baht if you're really hungry. depending on the type of the taco, I think that would be a realistic price to turn a profit at.

there's my brain fart. have fun.

We’ve been able to source everything locally except for some of the exotic chilies and tomatillos. We have come up with the real McCoy or good substitutes for everything except tomatillos. The only substitute for tomatillos is using tomatoes or find another recipe. After lots of R& D, we are using other recipes.

As for the corn tortilla, have that nailed as my house is now our own little tortilla factory producing fresh masa(dough used for tortillas). I have found our fresh tortilla chips and crunchy tacos to be very good from the rave reviews from friends. Producing fresh masa was needed to be done as a cost savings and for the taste.

Everything is made fresh. No cans are allowed in our kitchen.

David from Dukes restaurant in Chiang Mai has been a great friend. Giving lots of advice and inviting us into his kitchen to show us his recipes

I also hope this turns out well. My bet it will turn out either incredibility well or a disaster. Don’t think the opportunity is a break even proposal.

Greg

I doubt even Trumps best Apprentices couldnt make a mexican food business sustainable in Bangkok.

Congratulations! You just became the manager of a Bangkok Mexican fast food 50 sq.m. restaurant grill which will be opening soon directly on Sukhumvit Road between Soi 12 and Soi 14! The good news is 10% of the net profits of this restaurant will go to a Thai visa party. This way all Thai visa members will be a phantom equity partner.

This stand will be looking to be one of the first fresh Mexican Taco grills in the city, it will be well respected for the finest, freshest ingredients and the skill of the staff will appear they are the owner. BUT - it’s not an upscale version of a Taco Bell or Del Taco or Baja Fresh which is not looking to expand to Bangkok at this time - and that’s where you need to put on your management hat.

The Goal: Establish a daily volume of serving 300 people tacos or burritos that runs nearly around the clock within a 2 month period.

The Variance: At the same time as the 300 goal of customers having tacos or burritos is trying to get established, a group of Thai visa members will congregate to chit chat and partake downing a monster glass of margarita( or several) every evening. This same group of customers would eat tacos or burritos because they all will have the munchies.

The Headache: Both locals and tourists have likes and dislikes how they like tacos and burritos... Thais need to be introduced to not be fearful of them, or provide other incentives for them to try. Part of the marketing goal must be to encourage people to try your tacos and see the difference.

What would you do to establish this restaurant, attracting both locals and tourists to your Taco stand? This is a real world scenario; you don't have a blank check so please provide real world answers that work in the long run, not just for the short term. When providing your answers also discuss the ramifications of your marketing strategy both on the Thai and Foreign market. Some options might include theme nights, specials on Wednesdays, a happy hour period, or other incentives. Also think out of the box; recommend new ideas that haven't been discussed before - even if it’s a bit out there because this is a brainstorming experiment. The real world management of a restaurant team is watching this thread; it should prove to be a very enlightening Thaivisa.com topic! Thank you.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Still opening today?

Yes we open today from 6 p.m. till 11 p.m. Everybody seem to like the food, then again it was free today. :o

However, almost every person ate the crumbs, which is always a good sign they like the food.

We just might make it. We'll see.

Greg

I came in today and had the vegetarian burrito. The flavors were excellent, everything tasted authentic and fresh. I have these constructive criticisms:

1) for 109 baht, the burrito was too small. I am used to the too-big-for-one-meal California style burrito. This one left me not quite full. The tortillas needs to be bigger and it needs more filling. The guy who made my burrito was skimpy with most items.

2) the whole baby asparagus didn't quite work in the burrito. Not that the flavor wasn't good. But I didn't bite through it completely and I ended up with whole pieces of asparagus hanging out of my mouth on several bites. It would be ok if it was chopped first.

Despite the above, I will be back tomorrow.

Edited by coder

I came in today and had the vegetarian burrito. The flavors were excellent, everything tasted authentic and fresh. I have these constructive criticisms:

1) for 109 baht, the burrito was too small. I am used to the too-big-for-one-meal California style burrito. This one left me not quite full. The tortillas needs to be bigger and it needs more filling. The guy who made my burrito was skimpy with most items.

2) the whole baby asparagus didn't quite work in the burrito. Not that the flavor wasn't good. But I didn't bite through it completely and I ended up with whole pieces of asparagus hanging out of my mouth on several bites. It would be ok if it was chopped first.

Despite the above, I will be back tomorrow.

Thanks for stopping by. Thank you as well for pointing out the asparagus was too long. Will have the cook chop it up. (I myself like it long but had the same problem tonight.)

On the portions, most made a comment that we were generous in the size we were giving out. Our price for the grilled veggies is $3.00 which should be cheaper than most burrito restaurants in Thailand and the USA. ( Most in the States are around $5.75 plus tax and the average ticket is $8.50 ) We are giving sour cream or cheese, and a choice of jalapeno's and onions free as well. Our Sodas are 19 Baht which is around 50 cents so we are not getting much on that end as well. ( Margaritas are 79 Baht and domestic beer is 49 Baht) Just letting you know, its a fine line, making a profit and making eveyone happy.

I do appreciate your comments. That is what, will make us better. Hope to see you tomorrow.

Greg

Margaritas are 79 Baht and domestic beer is 49 Baht

Now that's pretty cheap!

Glad you've got the place open now anyway. Will try and pop down this week, I sometimes have client meetings in the area and so it would be a convenient lunch stop by the sound of things. But if I have time I may well make a special journey down there.

What are your evening opening hours by the way?

Margaritas are 79 Baht and domestic beer is 49 Baht

Now that's pretty cheap!

Glad you've got the place open now anyway. Will try and pop down this week, I sometimes have client meetings in the area and so it would be a convenient lunch stop by the sound of things. But if I have time I may well make a special journey down there.

What are your evening opening hours by the way?

Not open for lunch yet but hope to be in a week.

Were now just open from 5 p.m. till 11 p.m. After May 5th, we will be open 24 hours. Hope to see you at the restaurant.

Greg