Teaching in Thailand over 60?

John V

4 hours ago, quandow said:

Be aware health insurance stops somewhere in your 60's. I have a friend who was a proper teacher at a highly reputable international school who fell ill. He found out the hard way the health insurance dropped him when he turned 60-something. I believe that's just Thai law. Merely a heads up to check carefully.

not really. The age limit is 70. 

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Slip said:

Quite so.  I have been at my place for 15 years, and as far off as I still am from retirement I know that as long as I keep my nose clean I won't have too many problems as I ease into old age.  It's a different situation for job hoppers however.

Good for you...trust a new administration does not come on board and starts doing things their way...

7 hours ago, ostyan said:

not really. The age limit is 70. 

OH F-F-S. You are very wrong, your post is not helpful. I KNOW this teacher who got dropped in his 60's from an international school in Pattaya (there are several international schools in the area so this doesn't name any school specifically). Bottom line, my suggestion to the OP was to check his potential school's policy carefully, your post could deter him.

10 hours ago, digger70 said:

One can have as many Titles that fill up a room,,,,, I say If one doesn't speak Thai Fluently shouldn't be allowed to Teach Any Language in Thailand ,,,How in the name of Satan is one going to explain  to the pupils Anything if one Can't speak Thai.I rest my Case.If you don't like it ,,,, Tough Titties,,,,,

I tend to agree. My three part plan in coming to Thailand was to go to a Thai Language School and my first visa was to attend school. I started learning the basics before I left Canada. The second part was to find work. I was offered a job as a resort manager before I finished school and from that when on to teach at schools. My reputation and Thai language ability got me contracts teaching government emloyees, monks at temples, etc. My Thai language skills were invaluable, as you said, how can you teach if you cannot explain. The third part of the plan was too find a good woman to spend my life with. Mission accomplished, all with a Diploma in International Trade, three years at a local college in Canada.

3 hours ago, quandow said:

OH F-F-S. You are very wrong, your post is not helpful. I KNOW this teacher who got dropped in his 60's from an international school in Pattaya (there are several international schools in the area so this doesn't name any school specifically). Bottom line, my suggestion to the OP was to check his potential school's policy carefully, your post could deter him.

Well, I am 65 and teaching and as I said I have offers. Should I say it is not true, when it is true, just to be "helpful" ?

1 hour ago, ostyan said:

Well, I am 65 and teaching and as I said I have offers. Should I say it is not true, when it is true, just to be "helpful" ?

Yes and the government is asking Thai teachers who retired to come back to teach. Some schools may enforce the 60 year limit, but most do not. My experience in 6 schools, why so many, some would not provide papers for W.P. so I left.

3 hours ago, ostyan said:

I was talking about HEALTH care, NOT employment. The same school that dropped my friend's health care also employed a teacher who was 76 at the time.

7 hours ago, quandow said:

I was talking about HEALTH care, NOT employment. The same school that dropped my friend's health care also employed a teacher who was 76 at the time.

ok, sorry, was not clear. 

About insurance, please visit this site: http://www.muangthai.co.th:1766/en/product/main/senior

I am not an agent, adviser or any other assigned person to advertise them

On ‎08‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 4:56 AM, Denim said:

I would say to the OP that if you want to teach because you have long nurtured a desire to impart knowledge to others ......that is one thing.

If on the other hand you want to start teaching for financial reasons ....that is something completely different.

Teaching English is not as easy as falling off a log. To do it well requires some effort and it can be very stressful.

If making money is the main objective I would forget teaching and look to making money online.

Before we moved to the boonies I was making a fairly respectable income of between 40,000 - 60,000 a month......more than I needed.

Even up country where I am cut off from my suppliers I can make an easy 7000 baht a month just working an hour a day . Not much compared to before but it doesn't require much effort and is done from home without any stress

My advice would be look at all options before teaching English since to do it legally and well can be a big effort.

I've taught in Thailand and China for several years. It's not something I'm thinking of doing.

On 2/8/2018 at 9:06 PM, Slip said:

Quite so.  I have been at my place for 15 years, and as far off as I still am from retirement I know that as long as I keep my nose clean I won't have too many problems as I ease into old age.  It's a different situation for job hoppers however.

I wouldn't get so comfortable. Just keeping your nose clean is not the ticket. Situations change, new management arrives, and one "aw <deleted>" wipes away a hundred "attaboys"

1 hour ago, smotherb said:

I wouldn't get so comfortable. Just keeping your nose clean is not the ticket. Situations change, new management arrives, and one "aw <deleted>" wipes away a hundred "attaboys"

WORD...

2 hours ago, smotherb said:

Aye- it pays to stay on your toes.  The key to surviving admin changes is to actually be useful- a clean nose isn't necessarily enough.  It is becoming easier now though.  There are so few native speakers left that they are more leery about dumping us for spite.

1 hour ago, Slip said:

Aye- it pays to stay on your toes.  The key to surviving admin changes is to actually be useful- a clean nose isn't necessarily enough.  It is becoming easier now though.  There are so few native speakers left that they are more leery about dumping us for spite.

Wouldn't be so impressed with NES, seems the Thais are not. Here in the South, NES salaries have remained at approx. B30-35k/mo for the last 10 years; while Filipino salaries have risen from approx15k/mo to 18-20k/mo during that time.

On 2/10/2018 at 11:21 PM, smotherb said:

Wouldn't be so impressed with NES, seems the Thais are not. Here in the South, NES salaries have remained at approx. B30-35k/mo for the last 10 years; while Filipino salaries have risen from approx15k/mo to 18-20k/mo during that time.

One place down south does the 40K on a 6-month contract... seems they can't keep them and the teachers go on to other more favorable places at lower salaries...  having a director with an actual degree in English rather than in a science, and the several reasons for this besides brown nosing it and having some ability in English, from studying abroad, is the main reason the new teachers leave.   The word is out on this southern place of higher learning in the south.  Yes it is amazing the salaries at this place seem to rise...yearly and consistently. .. odd

On 28/01/2018 at 5:30 PM, simon43 said:

You should come over to Myanmar. Minimal age discrimination and salaries are well above that paid by Thai universities and government schools.

55555, Just another threat for Thailand, soon there will be a M2H program there, with western teaching retirees....

• 1 month later...
On 08/02/2018 at 12:51 PM, digger70 said:

One can have as many Titles that fill up a room,,,,, I say If one doesn't speak Thai Fluently shouldn't be allowed to Teach Any Language in Thailand ,,,How in the name of Satan is one going to explain  to the pupils Anything if one Can't speak Thai.I rest my Case.If you don't like it ,,,, Tough Titties,,,,,

I'm going to take two wild guesses. One that you don't have enough titles to fill a room, and two, that you don't work in teacher recruitment.

On 21/03/2018 at 6:42 AM, MRDave said:

I'm going to take two wild guesses. One that you don't have enough titles to fill a room, and two, that you don't work in teacher recruitment.

Guess what,,, I have  enough to fill one wall,, I wouldn't Lower myself to Teaching in Thailand,,,no disrespect,,, ( Retired)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ridiculous! Very few foreigners can speak even passably decent Thai, much less fluently!

9 minutes ago, taiwanatoa said:

Ridiculous! Very few foreigners can speak even passably decent Thai, much less fluently!

That isn't true.  As much as you are describing me, you are not describing my many foreign friends who speak excellent Thai.

18 hours ago, taiwanatoa said:

That's Just the point,,,, How can one Teach Anything if No one can Understand him/her  and explain what one is trying to Teach. that goes for any language.

That isn't true.  As much as you are describing me, you are not describing my many foreign friends who speak excellent Thai.

I don't believe you. Yes,I have heard some speak fairly well and then some people will exaggerate and flatter them and tell them how incredibly fluent they are. Like people in Taiwan used to tell me. I could learn Thai too if I would ever put my mind to it and take some classes but I am not motivated to.

That's Just the point,,,, How can one Teach Anything if No one can Understand him/her  and explain what one is trying to Teach. that goes for any language.

Not true unless you are talking about beginners only. If you speak clearly like an intelligent person and explain things there is no problem

9 minutes ago, taiwanatoa said:

Not true unless you are talking about beginners only. If you speak clearly like an intelligent person and explain things there is no problem

How can you explain anything if they can't Understand you and not Speak their Language,,,,, this is what it is All about,,,, Say you speak English and speak English to aThai Pupil who never heard people speak English.Ho won't know what you are saying,,,, If you Say The pupil Does You should't be Aloud in a school,,,,

Archived