• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(That's a gorgeous pool, Ajarn).

Yes, but it's ######in' cold at the moment! :o

Let's not be modest.

I heard that it is heated! :D

My 'solar heater' is what runs fairly slowly out of the hose... Kinda nice on a warm day sitting next to it, but these days, I get nothing once it strikes the water..

What makes a good burger?

The owner HAS to be American.

However, fish and chips takes a Brit, Aussie or Kiwi to do it right! :D

If you want good fish and chips in Chiang Mai there is an Aussie guy who has a shop in the Loi Kroh Boxing Beer Bar Centre up from the Saloon. Its called Dannys. The fish and Chips is excellent but they open late around 6pm or something.

I always get my burgers from Dannys in Loy Kroh. Best Ive had in Chiang Mai and they deliver to your table. Good price too.

I know Dannys too. Its only a small takeaway place but the Fish and Chips is excellent. They are now doing small pizzas as well. The burgers are okay but the patties are a bit small, but still okay value considering its Ozzie Beef.

You just have to be kidding – walk past the place at any time and smell the reek of cheap old oil – revolting in the extreme.

The price is low but the quality is lower – a few under cooked fries and a sorry excuse for a burger. :o:D :D

• 4 weeks later...

Well last week I had a burger from the Irish pub.Can't say there was much wrong with it.nice bun (baked on premises??) a decent slab of meat with fresh ingredients and a decent amount of bacon. I took a pic when I got it home.(BTW,the plates we have are monsters and probably don't do the burger justice.)

I might try and do the rounds and take a few more pics of burgers that have been mentioned on this thread.

post-11672-1171639042_thumb.jpg

Edited by chuchok

On Valentine's Day, I had one of my usual choices at Sizzler: the teriyaki burger, which is big, comes with all the trimmings including cheese and mushroom and lettuce and onion and tomato and your choice of catsup or ketchup. For once, the baked potato was hard and cold; never seen that before. And of course, the salad bar and the soup bar and the dessert choice of chocolate pudding or red jello or mixed fruit. With membership card, and two refill Pepsis, we got out for 369 baht. We weren't just central dialect "im lao" - we were northern dialect "katon!"

Well last week I had a burger from the Irish pub.Can't say there was much wrong with it.nice bun (baked on premises??) a decent slab of meat with fresh ingredients and a decent amount of bacon. I took a pic when I got it home.(BTW,the plates we have are monsters and probably don't do the burger justice.)

I might try and do the rounds and take a few more pics of burgers that have been mentioned on this thread.

Need an assistant.. :o

On Valentine's Day, I had one of my usual choices at Sizzler: the teriyaki burger, which is big, comes with all the trimmings including cheese and mushroom and lettuce and onion and tomato and your choice of catsup or ketchup. For once, the baked potato was hard and cold; never seen that before. And of course, the salad bar and the soup bar and the dessert choice of chocolate pudding or red jello or mixed fruit. With membership card, and two refill Pepsis, we got out for 369 baht. We weren't just central dialect "im lao" - we were northern dialect "katon!"

The Teriyaki Burger at Sizzler might actually be the best burger in Chiang Mai.

I never mention it because of the Teriyaki sauce - it is not a regular cheeseburger - but it is big and cheesy and juicy and has imported beef and most delish! :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

Making the burger yourself is the best way. Buy a rib eye from Tesco or Carr Four, and chop it up into hamburger meat, season it, and toss it on the grill. The rib eyes from these two stores have amazing flavor for the price (between 40 - 80 baht). One rib eye can make about 2 nice sized burgers.

• 2 months later...

Finally tried In-an-Out Burger owned by the original New Jersey Mike out in Hang Dong.

GREAT meatball subs, great burgers, hotdog chili with ALL MEAT - no beans - which I prefer. Malted Milkshakes that are almost all ice-cream - delish! Fresh coleslaw. Nice atmoshere like an American drive-inn in the 50s.

Worth a drive! :o

Finally tried In-an-Out Burger owned by the original New Jersey Mike out in Hang Dong.

GREAT meatball subs, great burgers, hotdog chili with ALL MEAT - no beans - which I prefer. Malted Milkshakes that are almost all ice-cream - delish! Fresh coleslaw. Nice atmoshere like an American drive-inn in the 50s.

Worth a drive! :D

UG dude,

You're going to be in the front of the aerobics class for a while after trying that repast :o

Maybe Crow Boy and I will motor up on our CBR 150's to check it out soon....

Peace Blondie, you in for some CHILI DOGS ?!?

McG

Any chance of directions for me and other similarly lazy-boned individuals? :D

By the way, am I the only one who has found the quality of the 'original' Mike's Hamburgers near the moat (Sriphum Road) has started to slip lately? I am thinking specifically about the burger meat (pieces of cartilage and some odd aftertaste). Or have I just been unlucky the past two times I tried them?

By the way, am I the only one who has found the quality of the 'original' Mike's Hamburgers near the moat (Sriphum Road) has started to slip lately? I am thinking specifically about the burger meat (pieces of cartilage and some odd aftertaste). Or have I just been unlucky the past two times I tried them?

That was the special "chicken tendon filler". Sort of like "Hamburger Helper" in US..... :o

If this is a diet that works, let me know. I fancy having some of that!

Directions to Mikes.: Take the Hangdong road out past both ring roads. Look for Kad Farang and the Rimping supermarket on the left. Take the next U-turn and drive back towards town. Mikes new place is, at a guess, about a Kilometer back on the left hand side.

Been there once. It was good.

Any chance of directions for me and other similarly lazy-boned individuals? :o

A Thai freind who is wild about the subs and keeps asking me to try them did the driving, but I think that it is the same road that goes past Airport Plaza and past Lotus out somewhere in Hang Dong on the same main road on the other side of the street. It has really pretty, wild, sign that says "In - an - Out Burgers" out front and looks like a drive-inn, so it shouldn't be too hard to find.

Edited by Ulysses G.

We tried the Saloon again last night and they seemed back in form.

We all had bacon cheeseburgers (and a Beer Lao) and two of us gave them enthusiastic thumbs up :D while the guy who likes Duke's burgers pronounced his "OK". :o

Which CM Saloon UG? There is still a significant difference between the two. I will only go to the original on Loi Kroh now, I gave up on the new one. Prefer that site but the food is way underpar in my opinion. Ron knows - we talked about it and he can't do anything to fix it or maybe he has. I know the "big" girl up there who was the floor manager has gone now - fired - but Ron's business partner is still trying to get it under control.

CB

Any chance of directions for me and other similarly lazy-boned individuals? :D

Chiangmai - Hod Road (road 108) Opposite Koolpunt estate (Heritage ????)

If you are heading from town go past the new Rimping and Kad Farang (left hand side towards Hang Dong) and do a U turn head back to town and it is just past the overhead walkway on the left side. Opposite Koolpunt estate.

PS option 2 , slightly quicker - if you see the Koolpunt estate on the left take the first U turn (just after the overhead walkway)

Have to try it out soon myself

bon appetit

Edited by Tywais
Link removed - goes direct to edit reply

We all had bacon cheeseburgers (and a Beer Lao) and two of us gave them enthusiastic thumbs up :D while the guy who likes Duke's burgers pronounced his "OK". :o

Which CM Saloon UG? There is still a significant difference between the two. I will only go to the original on Loi Kroh now, I gave up on the new one. Prefer that site but the food is way underpar in my opinion.

I agree with everything that you've said.

I only eat at the original CM Saloon also even though number two is more comfortable.

I can't tell you why I prefer Texas Ron's bacon-cheese burger to every other burger in town, but I don't seem to be the only one (I haven't tried an In - an - Out Burger yet, but my buddy loved it). :D

Edited by Ulysses G.

Which CM Saloon UG? There is still a significant difference between the two. I will only go to the original on Loi Kroh now, I gave up on the new one. Prefer that site but the food is way underpar in my opinion.

I agree with everything that you've said.

I only eat at the original CM Saloon also even though number two is more comfortable.

I can't tell you why I prefer Texas Ron's bacon-cheese burger to every other burger in town, but I don't seem to be the only one (I haven't tried an In - an - Out Burger yet, but my buddy loved it). :D

I agree - I like Ron's Bacon Cheese burger and think it is the best of its type in CM, I also like his ribs which to me are more chuncky and have that smoky flavour. I do prefer the seating and spacing of the CM2 but CM1 still has the better food so I go there and put up with it being smaller, cramped, and smoky. Ron said some time ago he was thinking of opening up the shop next door to give him more room but was made an offer too good to refuse from some well heeled gentleman to open up a bookstore :D

CB

What exactly is an "In-and-Out Burger" ??

Anyone who has read "Clockwork Orange", or seen the film, will understand why I find the name rather ... unusual :o .

'course we remember Alex and the boys. The phrase is funny in and of itself outside that film, too.

Anyway,

I think it's got to be a knock of of IN-N-OUT burgers in CA and thereabouts. Probably the best burgers you can buy in a burger chain. You can get better burgers at individual burger joints and bars, etc. , but for a medium-sized chain, they rock. Fresh fries made from scratch on the premises, too. Usually packed with people.

I'll try the Handong joint when I can.

Someone earlier said they found the Mike's Burgers at the Night Bazaar to be sup-par. So, Ijustwannateach and PeaceBlondie tried it not only once, but twice or thrice, and the cheeseburgers and bacon-cheeseburgers felt fine to us. Meanwhilst, the chili-cheeseburger at In and Out is the best for those of us who can't stand really hot chili con carne.

Someone earlier said they found the Mike's Burgers at the Night Bazaar to be sup-par. So, Ijustwannateach and PeaceBlondie tried it not only once, but twice or thrice, and the cheeseburgers and bacon-cheeseburgers felt fine to us. Meanwhilst, the chili-cheeseburger at In and Out is the best for those of us who can't stand really hot chili con carne.

PB are you referring to the one in the Peak? Near the climbing wall? If so then gotta say I think they are the worst hamburgers in CM. I don't know what they do to it but they are nothing like the old mikes, or the one on Niemenheimenahoossenshosen road.

just my opinion of course

CB

PB are you referring to the one in the Peak? Near the climbing wall? If so then gotta say I think they are the worst hamburgers in CM. I don't know what they do to it but they are nothing like the old mikes, or the one on Niemenheimenahoossenshosen road.

just my opinion of course

CB

Crowboy, that's what I was referring to, but to each his own. I'm a gourmand, not a gourmet. I think we can all think of worse hamburgers in CMai. Such as, that Thai restaurant across from Thai Airways office, 100 meters toward the moat. God-awful. Sometimes I think I'm back in southern Mexico, where you have to ask if the hamburger meat is made from beef, and the answer sometimes is, "Of course not!!"

Directions to Mikes.: Take the Hangdong road out past both ring roads. Look for Kad Farang and the Rimping supermarket on the left. Take the next U-turn and drive back towards town. Mikes new place is, at a guess, about a Kilometer back on the left hand side.

Sounds like his place is nearly on my door step since I live just off the last ring road. Will have to give it a try soon.

Sounds like his place is nearly on my door step since I live just off the last ring road. Will have to give it a try soon.

It's more than a km north of the entrance to Kad Farang, and it's immediately north of the walkover. Been there three or four times. Real milk shakes made from ice cream!