‘Better if you do’: Phuket Immigration chief urges foreigners to re-register addresses, even if staying off-island just one night

rooster59

‘Better if you do’: Phuket Immigration chief urges foreigners to re-register addresses, even if staying off-island just one night 

Shela Riva

1516969144_1-org.jpg

Chief of the Phuket Immigration Offce, Col Kathathorn Kumthieng, urges foreigners to re-register their addresses, just in case. Photo: Shela Riva

PHUKET: The Chief of the Phuket Immigration Office, Col Kathathorn Kumthieng, has confirmed that all foreigners registered as living in Phuket must re-report their address to immigration after being registered as staying in a hotel within Thailand, even for just one night.

The confirmation follows complaints from long-term expats that they were fined B2,000 for not re-registering their home addresses after travelling within the country.

“By law, it is a requirement to register your address within 24 hours after being registered elsewhere, such as at a hotel or a guesthouse,” Col Kathathorn told The Phuket News this week.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/better-if-you-do-phuket-immigration-chief-urges-foreigners-to-re-register-addresses-even-if-staying-off-island-just-one-night-65744.php#Vp08C2R3RvBhXcr2.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-01-27

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Overkill !

I have no objections to reporting every 90 days, but what they are asking for here is absolutely pathetic.

Surely, when you go to stay in a hotel for a few nights, it should not be too difficult to tell them you are already on the register, at a more permanent address, and the two can be matched up ?

But, then, This Is Thailand ! 

When I go on one of my road trips I could be gone for several weeks. Surely it's the job of the hotel to notify immigration when you check in? When I return home it's my landlady's job to tell immigration I have returned.

Never had a problem traveling  the length and breadth of Thailand in the last 30 odd years, but times are changing!!

1 hour ago, Thaiwrath said:

Overkill !

I have no objections to reporting every 90 days, but what they are asking for here is absolutely pathetic.

Surely, when you go to stay in a hotel for a few nights, it should not be too difficult to tell them you are already on the register, at a more permanent address, and the two can be matched up ?

If you have a home here, but then stay in a hotel/GH somewhere else in Thailand you will be registered at the new address. 

When you get back home, how will they know you are there, unless you go and register again?

They could make that assumption but would have no way of knowing for sure if they did.

So it's more convenient for them to insist you, as the foreign alien, comply with the law. That way the know for sure and you save a fine.

sigh...I decided not to renew my permission to stay based on retirement just because of this and the other long list of petty never ending bs. Plus being treated like a dog when I do have business with them. It is not that hard to get the 6 months in country and that is now my preference. No 90 day report, no renewal BS, no money in a Thai bank. No THANKS!

1 day Phuket = 1 day immi police?
Ouer office told us to do nothing, the house owner has to do this.!!
3-4 years ago I did go one time to the police with my T 28. What you think they did? ?
This: ???????????

4 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

If you have a home here, but then stay in a hotel/GH somewhere else in Thailand you will be registered at the new address. 

When you get back home, how will they know you are there, unless you go and register again?

They could make that assumption but would have no way of knowing for sure if they did.

So it's more convenient for them to insist you, as the foreign alien, comply with the law. That way the know for sure and you save a fine.

Common sense says that the hotel I stayed in last week, who informed (probably via computer) immigration that I was staying there, could, and should, quite easily advise immigration about me checking out 4 days later.

As no other hotel since, has advised immigration that I have checked in, it is not rocket science to assume I am at the permanent residence I advised immigration of, when I applied for my 'permission to stay' ? 

Just now, Thaiwrath said:

Common sense says that the hotel I stayed in last week, who informed (probably via computer) immigration that I was staying there, could, and should, quite easily advise immigration about me checking out 4 days later.

As no other hotel since, has advised immigration that I have checked in, it is not rocket science to assume I am at the permanent residence I advised immigration of, when I applied for my 'permission to stay' ? 

No, why should Immigration be expected to presume you have returned to the property you regard as home?

You are legally required to inform them, not them make presumptions and guesses on your behalf. 

You could be visiting family, friends, some new gf or whatever and staying in their residence. I don't know any police force that would accept making assumptions and presumptions as part of a procedure like this.

And he's being very good to remind people so they don't get fined.

1 hour ago, Maejo Man said:

When I go on one of my road trips I could be gone for several weeks. Surely it's the job of the hotel to notify immigration when you check in? When I return home it's my landlady's job to tell immigration I have returned.

Never had a problem traveling  the length and breadth of Thailand in the last 30 odd years, but times are changing!!

I think you are right, is the law different in Phuket?

2 minutes ago, alant said:

My understanding is it is the property owner that is legally required to notify them, do you know something I don't?

I never said it wasn't. I was responding to a poster who said he registers which indicates it is his property. Maybe Condo, maybe with wife or whatever.

If you live in a rented property then you will know better than me, as I don't.

1 hour ago, Thaiwrath said:

Overkill !

"This is Thailnd".......and a lot of other countries too...if one is to be believed?

What a bunch of inept morons. There is no way that immigration could even handle the amount of workload that would be required to do this.

so waste one day going to immigration to tell them you will stay at hotel for 1 day then change to a new hotel and another day at immigration, then back home so another day at immigration.

This clown should be fired if he cannot come up with a better solution.

Does he think we are all criminals and rapists? Talk about biting the hand that feeds you.

Archived