‘Better if you do’: Phuket Immigration chief urges foreigners to re-register addresses, even if staying off-island just one night

rooster59

14 minutes ago, Valentine said:

Writing an address on arrival card is not proof of your address.

When you leave the country you are tossed out of the system so when you return you have no registered address.

I don't understand why some think they have to report & register where they were staying when away from home as it is up to the hotel to do that.

Immigration does understand that if you return on the weekend or public holiday that it is not feasible to register within 24 hours.

There is an online reporting form for registering your address but is only in Thai.

I feel these 2 paragraphs from the article are important :

“However, if you become involved in an incident and become a suspect in a case for example, not re-registering your address will be a big problem. So it’s better if you do.”

Regardless, although the overall effect for most foreigners caught not re-registering their address each time on returning home to Phuket might be deemed negligible, foreigners will be liable to a B2,000 fine for each infringement and the incident will remain on their immigration record.

Luckily my immigration does not care about my  travel inside or outside Thailand!

But surely you have registered at an address sometime  condo wife's house etc.. you leave the country come back immigration input address, it matches Could they not have a notification  "Honey i'm home on their site" 

They must know youre back because your 90 day report is based on the date you enter

It seems a lot of fuss about nothing well apart from making money on fines

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One good thing about the pink ID card is that you can use it, or if you can get away with it the Thai driving license, to register at any hotel you stay in away from your perm residence. That way it is not linked to your passport number.

That's what I do within Thailand and I stay away from my home here at least 2/3 times a month as I like to drink with my mates and I stay in a  local hotel rather than drink/drive.

21 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

If you have a home here, but then stay in a hotel/GH somewhere else in Thailand you will be registered at the new address. 

When you get back home, how will they know you are there, unless you go and register again?

They could make that assumption but would have no way of knowing for sure if they did.

So it's more convenient for them to insist you, as the foreign alien, comply with the law. That way the know for sure and you save a fine.

The sensible answer is you are at your registered address if you are not at a hotel. 

All about harassment and  knowing  male foreigners will jump through flaming hoops to maintain access to sex.

Just now, PhuketSarah said:

The sensible answer is you are at your registered address if you are not at a hotel. 

All about harassment and  knowing  male foreigners will jump through flaming hoops to maintain access to sex.

Why is is "sensible' for the police, or anyone else, to make that assumption? Just because it's more convenient for you and others doesn't make it logical or sensible.

Assumptions are the mother of lots of fcku ups.

The rules apply to female foreigners too. Or do you think only men want sex?

15 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Why is is "sensible' for the police, or anyone else, to make that assumption? Just because it's more convenient for you and others doesn't make it logical or sensible.

Assumptions are the mother of lots of fcku ups.

The rules apply to female foreigners too. Or do you think only men want sex?

Oh sure, women flock to Thailand for the cheap prostitutes, why just have a look at any of the bar scene neighborhoods, practically nothing but females lurching around with prostitutes in tow. I wonder what is the ratio of female to male sexpats?

Sensible means makes sense, it's perfectly reasonable, it's sensible  that registering a home address should apply until you change that address. If you are in  hotel, that is in the system, ( or should be) if you are not shown as in a hotel, you should  be at home.

Meanwhile crooks and cons are never bothered by these rules,  because they pay- and that's the entire premise of ridiculous and harassing rules - under the table pay offs. 

Totally disconnected from reality..The queues would be huge, and they would need extra space and staff. Phuket is a weird immigration station: twice now since the team was changed, my wife went to report my 90 days,but was told the first time that I must come in person, so I let my accountant do it (and pay) and a few weeks ago again was told I should 'sometimes come myself'. There is no such law, they make their own.

2 minutes ago, PhuketSarah said:

Oh sure, women flock to Thailand for the cheap prostitutes, why just have a look at any of the bar scene neighborhoods, practically nothing but females lurching around with prostitutes in tow. 

Go ahead and defend this harassment, but  I note you're  about  only one in 13 pages of comments. 

It's not an assumption that registering a home address should apply until you change that address. If you are in  hotel, that is in the system, ( or should be) of you are not shown as in a hotel, you should  be at home.

Meanwhile crooks and cons are never bothered by these rules,  because they pay- and that's the entire premise of ridiculous and harassing rules 

Well you illustrate just how ridiculous your assertion is that all men have to day 90 day reports as a hassle to their being here for access to sex. 

Not all visitors here, spouses, expats, long term residents are after cheap whores. That you think otherwise suggests a bias maybe from the company you keep or an anti male prejudice?

This isn't harassment. It's trying to prevent people being fined - not something they'd do if they thought it was a "nice little earner" to quote you, now is it? 

13 pages of people who don't think the law should apply to them! Plenty moan about the "above the law" entitlement of the hiso elite. But expect that rules don't have to apply to them.

In most legal systems, where you have to report something, the onus is always on the person reporting. They don't make assumptions for very good reasons. If you don't like it, no one forces you to stay here. Either report or pay the fine, up to you. But stop pretending this is some "little earner" or harassment of whore chasing men - that's as illogical as suggesting assumptions are the way to go.

On 1/28/2018 at 10:53 AM, meinphuket said:

Totally disconnected from reality..The queues would be huge, and they would need extra space and staff. Phuket is a weird immigration station: twice now since the team was changed, my wife went to report my 90 days,but was told the first time that I must come in person, so I let my accountant do it (and pay) and a few weeks ago again was told I should 'sometimes come myself'. There is no such law, they make their own.

Every office does its own thing and has its own interpretations. At my office they told us you don't have to go in person, anyone can bring the form and passport for you!

And of course things change as the senior personnel change in each office too. 

5 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Well you illustrate just how ridiculous your assertion is that all men have to day 90 day reports as a hassle to their being here for access to sex. 

Not all visitors here, spouses, expats, long term residents are after cheap whores. That you think otherwise suggests a bias maybe from the company you keep or an anti male prejudice?

This isn't harassment. It's trying to prevent people being fined - not something they'd do if they thought it was a "nice little earner" to quote you, now is it? 

13 pages of people who don't think the law should apply to them! Plenty moan about the "above the law" entitlement of the hiso elite. But expect that rules don't have to apply to them.

In most legal systems, where you have to report something, the onus is always on the person reporting. They don't make assumptions for very good reasons. If you don't like it, no one forces you to stay here. Either report or pay the fine, up to you. But stop pretending this is some "little earner" or harassment of whore chasing men - that's as illogical as suggesting assumptions are the way to go.

The discussion is about a stupid harassing law,  not why I am here- and 90 days reports have nothing to so with it. 

Consensus is; a stupid law,  all  about getting fines.

I remain of my  opinion harassing expats, and knowing most will do anything to stay here is a basis for such rules. 

4 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Every office does its own thing and has its own interpretations. At my office they told us you don't have to go in person, anyone can bring the form and passport for you!

And even every officer in that office will say something different- the consistency is not there and I believe it to be deliberate. They could not care less about such rules being a gigantic  headache and hassle because it is constructed so they can get 2000 baht fines all day long. 

On 1/28/2018 at 10:53 AM, meinphuket said:

What if we began calling  the Immigration hotline and Bangkok office numbers all day long? Oh, those numbers are either invalid (hotline) or never answered. 

47 minutes ago, PattayaAngel said:

One good thing about the pink ID card is that you can use it, or if you can get away with it the Thai driving license, to register at any hotel you stay in away from your perm residence. That way it is not linked to your passport number.

Pink card is linked (or should be) to a Yellow tabien baan via the 13-digit ID number.

Yellow TB is linked to a passport >>>> Pink card is linked to a passport, even if it's an expired/lost one.

My DLs also have a passport number on them.

And Ubon Joe states-  comment # 5 

" The TM28 form is used for requirements under section 37 of the immigration act which is largely not enforced other than for a change of address. The max fine under that section is 5,000 baht.

The TM30 for is under section 38 and has a max fine of 2,000 baht for individuals and 10,000 baht for businesses.

Phuket immigration appears to be using the rules under section 37 for their requirements to do a TM30 form."

20 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

The main immigration website (Suan Plu) states that 90 day reporting can be done by anyone authorized by the person to be reported. Does anyone have an inside track email for the current head of immigration  in Bangkok, so I can report this ?

14 minutes ago, MartinL said:

Pink card is linked (or should be) to a Yellow tabien baan via the 13-digit ID number.

Yellow TB is linked to a passport >>>> Pink card is linked to a passport, even if it's an expired/lost one.

Thai drivers license is linked to the foreigners passport.

18 hours ago, SunsetT said:

I reached this conclusion a long time ago. The education system is so bad that they are not taught to think. They have the hardware but not the software.

I agree the education system is all about minioninzing the populace but this is  all about making money off absurdly implemented rules. 

Make this available online if it is so impossible to figure out foreigners are at their registered address unless they are at at a hotel. 

Again, crooks will ignore it and  others will just pay. 

3 minutes ago, meinphuket said:

The main immigration website (Suan Plu) states that 90 day reporting can be done by anyone authorized by the person to be reported. Does anyone have an inside track email for the current head of immigration  in Bangkok, so I can report this ?

This thread is about TM 30 address notification , not 90 day  " stay in country another 90 days.."  reports 

36 minutes ago, MartinL said:

They don't make that connection.

What irks me the most about this is the line "It is the law." The origin. article says it is an archaic law. I get the sense though that this is another manner that officials (in many countries too) can find an issue with you if they need to. And, since it seems that the locals are always right, it puts us as lame ducks for all kinds of abuse. At the same time, those Thais travelling abroad have to put with this nonsense too. Retaliation anyone?

If they really wanted to know where we are, they could have a website where one can do the reporting with a GPS tagged image of oneself! This is the 21st century! Let go from archaic to ... modern times! Charlie Chaplin anyone?

4 hours ago, PhuketSarah said:

I agree the education system is all about minioninzing the populace but this is  all about making money off absurdly implemented rules. 

Make this available online if it is so impossible to figure out foreigners are at their registered address unless they are at at a hotel. 

Again, crooks will ignore it and  others will just pay. 

? TM 30 is free, so who is making money off it?

5 hours ago, PhuketSarah said:

Nonsense! What has sex got to do with it? Many of us have a life here. Perhaps you should get one. One that does not look through bigoted glasses.

6 hours ago, crazykopite said:

If they Immigration had a decent computer system that you could do temporary change of address online it would help , if I were to do this it would take a 2 hour trip just to report to them and then another 2 hour trip to get back home , the whole thing is a joke . What about the run of the mill holiday maker who over 3 weeks could move on every few days. I think it would be just as cheap in my circumstances to pay the fine if I were caught as the boat fare on its own is 600 baht to get to my immigration and that’s without taxi fares and food. 90 day reporting is bad enough ?

Try reading the rule. If there is no immigration office nearby you can notify at a police station. I have done so. It's just a bureaucratic thing, not an extension or something.

There is no need to make things more difficult than they have to be.

What about the run of the mill holiday maker who over 3 weeks could move on every few days.

Perhaps you are one of those that thinks TM 30 is your responsibility- it isn't. Unless you live in your own house it's nothing to do with you at all.

Real tourists never have to do TM 30.

Archived