‘Better if you do’: Phuket Immigration chief urges foreigners to re-register addresses, even if staying off-island just one night

rooster59

34 minutes ago, schlog said:

Imho ignore it and relax.

Talked 2 weeks ago with one of the immi headhonchos in town. He was amused how many guys wetting their pants here because of this minor nonsense.

So he's amused..

My buddy wasnt when he went to do his 90 day report at Patong and he was told to go back home. His landlord wasnt amused either , when he had to accompany said buddy and pay 1600 baht in fines.

So we've been going to Phuket Town since.

"Wetting pants" seems a bit of a throwaway comment.

Most of us would simply prefer clear information that we can can comply with  first up , without riding half way across the island , only to be told to return the next day , bring accomplices , and pay out baht.

Doesnt seem like a lot to ask ... maybe not as amusing for the 'headhochos'  I guess.

Welcome to the board Kevin  and thanks for the clear information.

You are on a Retirement Visa - yes?

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, zaZa9 said:

So he's amused..

My buddy wasnt when he went to do his 90 day report at Patong and he was told to go back home. His landlord wasnt amused either , when he had to accompany said buddy and pay 1600 baht in fines.

So we've been going to Phuket Town since.

"Wetting pants" seems a bit of a throwaway comment.

Most of us would simply prefer clear information that we can can comply with  first up , without riding half way across the island , only to be told to return the next day , bring accomplices , and pay out baht.

Doesnt seem like a lot to ask ... maybe not as amusing for the 'headhochos'  I guess.

Welcome to the board Kevin  and thanks for the clear information.

You are on a Retirement Visa - yes?

We'd all like clear information Zaza but Thailand Immigration offices with their regional quirks are not the places to get it!

I've said before that until I'm actually informed by Immigration that I have to do this then I'm not bothering. If I get fined, I get fined. I'm leaving the country four times in the next few months. Can I expect four fines when I eventually renew my visa or do a 90 day report? Let's see.

Actually, after two of those trips I'll be staying in a different province for a while, so if I did everything by the book I'd be reporting once in Phuket, once when I get to Chachoengsao before my flight, again on my return, then after the next flight, another report after I return to Phuket, then again after the fourth flight. Not to forget a couple of trips out of province where the hotels may or may not register me. Do they really want all this information? I'd rather wear a <deleted> wristband!

Not directed by airport immigration or had any contact with Patong immigration.

I had been following this particular post for a while prior to going abroad on holiday - so was very much aware of the mixed messages / confusion / impending changes etc. 

So, I thought it was best to visit Phuket immigration in person at the earliest opportunity on Monday 26th March and find out what specifically was required of me.

They provided me with the list ( previously posted) and told me I also needed a completed TM 30 form, a copy of TM6 and a copy of my main passport page and a copy of my non - immigration / retirement visa.

i explained that I could provide all documents the next day, with the exception of the condo registration and would need to contact the landlord to obtain a copy. I asked if such a delay would mean I would receive a fine and the immigration officer advised me to obtain the condo registration form my landlord ASAP and submit documents thereafter.

My landlord duly provided me with said document yesterday evening . 

I went with the full set of documents today. The immigration officer spent about 10 minutes updating the records via his pc  . He told me that my 90 day reporting date had effectively changed - 90 days hence from today. 

I forgot to mention that that they also required a copy of my landlords ID. This was already within the rental agreement .

Hope this helps

On 1/27/2018 at 12:24 PM, Moti24 said:

"Chief of the Phuket Immigration Offce, Col Kathathorn Kumthieng, urges foreigners to re-register their addresses, just in case."

Just in case of what?  

"Bad guys in, more hassle for the good guys!"

Thais are certainly obsessed with the whereabouts of foreigners in Thailand. Even my neighbours always seem to (want to) know where I am at every moment. (I often here them say 'now falang sit at home on laptop...')        

Too bad that they lack this tracking talent when it comes to criminals (e.g. Red Bull heir) or corrupt former politicians (Thaksin, Yingluck).

38 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Thais are certainly obsessed with the whereabouts of foreigners in Thailand. Even my neighbours always seem to (want to) know where I am at every moment. (I often here them say 'now falang sit at home on laptop...')        

Too bad that they lack this tracking talent when it comes to criminals (e.g. Red Bull heir) or corrupt former politicians (Thaksin, Yingluck).

Consider the reasons why; Foreigners have a tendency of getting injured or killed through misadventure or accident.

Take it as a compliment that someone wants to know where you are. This way you won't end up as an unidentified corpse  or lying in unidentified in a coma in a hospital ICU. 

12 hours ago, Kevin neil said:

I had been following this particular post for a while prior to going abroad on holiday - so was very much aware of the mixed messages / confusion / impending changes etc. 

So, I thought it was best to visit Phuket immigration in person at the earliest opportunity on Monday 26th March and find out what specifically was required of me.

They provided me with the list ( previously posted) and told me I also needed a completed TM 30 form, a copy of TM6 and a copy of my main passport page and a copy of my non - immigration / retirement visa.

i explained that I could provide all documents the next day, with the exception of the condo registration and would need to contact the landlord to obtain a copy. I asked if such a delay would mean I would receive a fine and the immigration officer advised me to obtain the condo registration form my landlord ASAP and submit documents thereafter.

I went with the full set of documents today. The immigration officer spent about 10 minutes updating the records via his pc  . He told me that my 90 day reporting date had effectively changed - 90 days hence from today. 

I forgot to mention that that they also required a copy of my landlords ID. This was already within the rental agreement .

Hope this helps

Most helpful.

The "Power of Attorney" form , with Revenue Stamp and Document ( ?? ) 1-4.

Where do you get them please?

If you have a pic of them  that would be greatly appreciated ...

I went yesterday to the immigration office in Pattaya in order to re register my address after a trip to Vietnam. They just refused to do it since the addess was the same.

You say foreign alien like we are not wanted here.  I know Thai foreign aliens living and working illegally in my country that I could have arrested and put in prison, but I would never do that because I don't mind them living in my country.  They are breaking the law, but they don't cause trouble

If you have a home here, why would they assume that you would live in a hotel?  It would take me 2-3 hours every time I come back from traveling to register, in addition to a 90 day report at immigration.  We are giving Thai people money when we travel!

My wife has a 10 year visa for my home country, and she comes and goes when she wants, up to 6 months stay.  She is never asked to fill out any forms of reports during that time, even though there are many Thai people illegally working there.

I have friends that have already moved to Vietnam from Thailand due to the feeling of not being welcome in Thailand.  It is an international world now.  Thailand is losing investment from outside the country to surrounding countries as it is.

If Thailand won't change, it will slowly be strangled by its neighbors, and the rest of the world.  The world is changing fast, time to step up to the plate!

Myself, and my Thai wife have been traveling to surrounding countries giving the possibility of living and doing business in another country.  Vietnam looks like the best thing going now.

I went in mid march after 6 days in Malaysia. Had to go through with it-photocopies, wait in queue with 20 people.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Phuket immigration sounds like a nightmare , I'm so happy I live in Chonburi  . Thanks for the report.  

The law just says "where the alien resides", so they don't make a difference if it's a hotel, apartment, condo, house, a 7/11 or under the bridge.
There is also Section 37 / 4: "If the alien travels to any province and will stay there longer than twenty-four hours, such alien must notify the police official of the police station for that area within forty-eight hours from the time of arrival."
So if your bus is very slow and needs more than 24 hours to cross the province you would have to report, on faster trips they allow you to skip the report that you are now in a bus. Aren't they nice? 555
The law says "alien having received a temporary entry permit" this is everybody who does not have a permanent residency, because a permanent residency is, as the name already suggests, "permanent" and not "temporary"
Of course this is crazy, i think everybody agrees, but i don't know what we could do against it, we are just the guests here.

Chonburi immigration the same. Went to report address in Jomtien. 2 guys before me were fined for doing it after 6 days. I guess they want the cash as well.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

56 minutes ago, zaZa9 said:

Most helpful.

The last time I've been there they did not ask me for this document... neither to a friend of mine that went there last week... more confusion under the stars...

1 minute ago, GuestForLife said:

The last time I've been there they did not ask me for this document... neither to a friend of mine that went there last week... more confusion under the stars...

The picture that he posted are the required documents to get a certificate of residence, not for submitting a TM30 or TM28, you guys should read everything ;)

So in case that you send your GF to get a certificate of residence for you she needs a power of attorney from you. No idea what a 10 THB revenue stamp is though...

10 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Consider the reasons why; Foreigners have a tendency of getting injured or killed through misadventure or accident.

Take it as a compliment that someone wants to know where you are. This way you won't end up as an unidentified corpse  or lying in unidentified in a coma in a hospital ICU. 

IMHO, you just redefined "sugar coating".

14 hours ago, Kevin neil said:

Hope this helps

hello zaZaa9

i am sorry - I have no pics and / or  zero understanding about power of attorney documents as they were not applicable to my circumstances 

10 hours ago, zaZa9 said:

Most helpful.

It is on the 'Notification of Address' thread. Round about page 17 I think, dependant on your viewing device. Stamp details are there as well.

It is only needed for self-reporting, not if a landlord is registering you.

I cant see my landlord wanting to come with me Psimbo.

Since you didnt mention a landlord Kevin ,   I take it that your landlord didnt accompany you ?

But just so I understand clearly   , the documents on your list in your first  photo , you had to provide this time ( minus the Power of Attorney , Form 1-4 and tax stamp ) ?

And you   were given the impression you  need to provide the same  Every Time you go O/S ??

Is there anyone out there who has had to do  the same recently  ? CM or anywhere ..

Thanks for the replies Kevin. I have the same document  as you posted in my passport  , but its dated 2558 , and Ive been O/S 3 times since then..

I guess you had  an older one that they replaced ?

Sorry for all the questions - Im just a tad incredulous that so much is required ...

Hello zaZaa9

i did mention in my 2nd post that I told immigration I would need to contact my landlord for a copy of the condo registration. And stated that my landlord duly provided me with said document  

(last 2 paras - post 288) .

Just to confirm that my landlord never accompanied me to the immigration office. 

My apologies - but before I answer the rest of your questions , please can you tell me what O / S stands for...  ?

thanks

Hello zaZaa9

My apologies for brain freeze. O/S = overseas ?

In that case, I can confirm that for my particular circumstances, I only provided immigration with the 6 items listed in my first post ( no 273) . 

At the time, I never thought to ask the immigration officer if said 6 documents would be required for every overseas visit. 

However, to avoid all doubt, I plan to do do exactly what I did on this occasion the next time I travel overseas. I will keep on eye on the relevant Phuket TM30  thread / s , and visit the Phuket immigration office ASAP upon my return to be told what to do and by when.

And then just comply with their instructions.  Personally, that’s the best way to avoid any unnecessary stress / problems / black marks with my retirement visa status, landlord and avoid associated fines ?

i am sorry - but I honestly cannot remember if I had / hadn’t an older address registration receipt in my passport. 

Yes - I don’t think anyone is happy with these additional hoops / requirements , especially those of us who regularly travel overseas. 

Hope this helps for now 

Thanks

I travel away from home in Thailand regularly but I always let my wife register us at any hotels plus I only ever show my Thai drivers license at the hotel, my TM30 never resets, as a result hence I never need to reregister unless I actually leave the country.

14 hours ago, zaZa9 said:

I cant see my landlord wanting to come with me Psimbo.

Since you didnt mention a landlord Kevin ,   I take it that your landlord didnt accompany you ?

But just so I understand clearly   , the documents on your list in your first  photo , you had to provide this time ( minus the Power of Attorney , Form 1-4 and tax stamp ) ?

And you   were given the impression you  need to provide the same  Every Time you go O/S ??

Is there anyone out there who has had to do  the same recently  ? CM or anywhere ..

Thanks for the replies Kevin. I have the same document  as you posted in my passport  , but its dated 2558 , and Ive been O/S 3 times since then..

I guess you had  an older one that they replaced ?

Sorry for all the questions - Im just a tad incredulous that so much is required ...

There are three ways to register- one as the owner, one as a landlord and one as a self-report on behalf on the landlord (no doubt a pedant will come up with others). Reporting can be online or in person (so does that make it 6 ways to report!!!) There is a lot of reluctance by landlords to register either way- from what I understand its a tax issue.

If the landlord register's a renter at the property there's no need for the POA, if as in my case the landlord can't do it the POA comes into place .

It's all very complicated and renters can find themselves caught between a reluctant landlord and the rules. When the fine comes into it the Immigration Office seems to be requiring the landlord to appear in person (again how they would deal with an absentee landlord remains to be seen) but rentors seem to be the ones coughing up the fine. 

Also not helpful is the fact that individual IOs seem to interpret the rules as they see fit on the day. 

2 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

I travel away from home in Thailand regularly but I always let my wife register us at any hotels plus I only ever show my Thai drivers license at the hotel, my TM30 never resets, as a result hence I never need to reregister unless I actually leave the country.

Commented on previously- from personal experience they DO run checks off driving licences.

This may have been the case in the past but it wasn't in Nov 17 when I experienced it.

2 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

Your Thai DL lists your passport number. The hotel use name and passport number when report to Immigration ..

3 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Your Thai DL lists your passport number. The hotel use name and passport number when report to Immigration ..

My Thai DL lists my old passport number, not my new one. And to date my TM30 has never changed using the strategy above.

As mentioned in another tread this is not to be stressed about, at least so far , and I'm afraid  it only will be to our disadvantage to run around and be worried about address registration as soon as we have crossed Sarasin bridge and most likely it will end up with more paperwork for every extension of stay or other tasks where we need a document from Immigration. 

This is nothing but pointless harassment and bureaucratic chicanery.

As for the good Colonel's assertion that "it’s the law in many countries" -- No, it most certainly is not. I have lived in 5 foreign countries on 3 continents and worked in/visited countless others. I cannot recall a single country where this type of rule exists. I must admit, I have not yet visited North Korea though.

The only place that came close in this regard, was the old soviet union when I was sent to work there in 1979. But even there i could come and go as I wished, albeit accompanied by my friendly government minders.

On 3/31/2018 at 2:23 PM, simoh1490 said:

My Thai DL lists my old passport number, not my new one. And to date my TM30 has never changed using the strategy above.

So at some point if/when (and they DO)  they check and it flags up the passport number as no longer valid in Thailand the fun and games will begin. 

Good luck with that one.

Archived