BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rooster59

‘Better if you do’: Phuket Immigration chief urges foreigners to re-register addresses, even if staying off-island just one night

Just now, The Deerhunter said:

Can a Farang own a house now???  Or did you mean "condo", when you said house?    But, then maybe it is the condo manager's job.  555.  But it keeps us amused and from getting too bored.

???? Of course a farang can own a house. It's just the land they can't own.

If you want to be pedantic, if you live in a residence that does not have any one else to do a TM30 for you, you have to do it within 24 hours.

Of course it's a condo managers responsibility to do TM 30 for residents, as I already said.

In the six years I lived in Thailand and worked abroad, I returned home to Bangkok 180 times. Not a chance in hell I was going to report my address again after each trip. I’d rather pay 2,000 baht each time...

33 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

And as far as possible when travelling within Thailand I get the Mrs to book us in using her ID card, less work for the hotel/guesthouse and no need to inform immigration of anything.    

15 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

For that reason when I stayed in an hotel with my wife she had to register at reception so I didn't have to go to immigration every time we returned home.

Apart from once when testing my Pink Card for hotel registration, my wife's registered at all hotels we've stayed at - I haven't registered at any hotel/GH/resort in the almost 10 years I've been in Thailand. I'm sure the hotel proprietors prefer it that way, too.

If immigration checks on me, they must think "What a boring life this bloke leads - never goes anywhere. Isn't he interested in seeing Thailand?".

Being invisible is wonderful.

2 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

If you have a home here, but then stay in a hotel/GH somewhere else in Thailand you will be registered at the new address. 

When you get back home, how will they know you are there, unless you go and register again?

They could make that assumption but would have no way of knowing for sure if they did.

So it's more convenient for them to insist you, as the foreign alien, comply with the law. That way the know for sure and you save a fine.

That's so logical!  Another option is to just <deleted> mind their own business.  What difference does it make?  Why do they have to know where I'm sleeping every night of my life?  What have they ever done with that information?  Nosy pricks.  

I was in hospital with food poisoning Thursday/Friday. Should I have reported that!

If everybody did this, they would be overwhelmed with paperwork, they'd soon backtrack and shut it down.

2 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

If you have a home here, but then stay in a hotel/GH somewhere else in Thailand you will be registered at the new address. 

When you get back home, how will they know you are there, unless you go and register again?

They could make that assumption but would have no way of knowing for sure if they did.

So it's more convenient for them to insist you, as the foreign alien, comply with the law. That way the know for sure and you save a fine.

Everyone knows this is BS!

The assumption should be that you are at your permanent address unless you are registered in a hotel elsewhere.  Relying on your home owner if you rent is not reliable.  You will still have to pay the fine if they fail to do so.  This is just another way to shake you down at immigration.  

2 hours ago, PattayaAngel said:

I always resister with my Thai driving license therefore I have not left my permanent residence.

My Thai licence has my passport no. on it - doesn't yours?

However as somebody suggested it does not appear the internal system is linked up, or rarely checked, so presumably the only sure way they have of knowing is a new entry stamp in your passport?

Luckily my local immigration cares not wither i go or when i return

And 90 days report takes less than minute , get the impression they dont really want the bother (they are far too busy with the local Burmese workers)j

However its lucky as immigration is 40 Km from my house so it would be no joke!

2 hours ago, Somrak said:

1 day Phuket = 1 day immi police?
Ouer office told us to do nothing, the house owner has to do this.!!
3-4 years ago I did go one time to the police with my T 28. What you think they did? ?
This: ???????????

Read the documents tm 30 and tm 28 again.

The law tells you to report with in 48 hrs (tm 28 document)

The sam law tells 24 hrs when you are the tenant of a house/condo then you get the role who is responsible for the registration of foreigners, including yourself (tm 30 document)

2 hours ago, captnhoy said:

sigh...I decided not to renew my permission to stay based on retirement just because of this and the other long list of petty never ending bs. Plus being treated like a dog when I do have business with them. It is not that hard to get the 6 months in country and that is now my preference. No 90 day report, no renewal BS, no money in a Thai bank. No THANKS!

But then still, you have to register. No difference at all. Everyone has to register, no matter what visa you're on.

2 hours ago, dictater said:

“It must be done because it’s the law. It’s the law in many countries,” Col Kathathorn said

What other countries?

Like most European countries.

Oh, how I wish I had the opportunity of a chat with the Phuket Immigration Chief about sections 37(2) and 30 of the Immigration Act B.E. 2522.

Does Col Kathathorn Kumthieng correspond in English? If he does I should be grateful if somebody would kindly send me a PM with his email address. (Don't post it here as forum rules do not allow the posting of email addresses in general)

4 minutes ago, Maestro said:

Oh, how I wish I had the opportunity of a chat with the Phuket Immigration Chief about sections 37(2) and 30 of the Immigration Act B.E. 2522.

Does Col Kathathorn Kumthieng correspond in English? If he does I should be grateful if somebody would kindly send me a PM with his email address. (Don't post it here as forum rules do not allow the posting of email addresses in general)

So what?

Section 30

In the instance where there is reason to suspect that a violation of this Act has taken place, the competent official shall have the authority to order the owner or person in charge of conveyance to stop the conveyance or to take the conveyance to any place necessary for inspection.

The order under paragraph 1 maybe carried out by giving a signal by any other means which is understandable.

Section 37

An alien having received a temporary entry permit into the Kingdom must comply with the following:

1. Shall not engage in the occupation or temporary or employment unless authorized by the Director General or competent official deputized by the Director General. If, in any case, there is a law concerning alien employment provided hereafter, the granting of work privileges must comply with the law concerned.
  2. Shall stay at the place as indicated to the competent official. Where there is proper reason that he cannot stay at the place as indicated to the competent official, he shall notify the competent official of the change in residence, within 24 hours from the time of removing to said place.

If this were to be implemented, there would be daily endless Q outside the Phuket immigration office.