‘Better if you do’: Phuket Immigration chief urges foreigners to re-register addresses, even if staying off-island just one night

rooster59

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Why is is "sensible' for the police, or anyone else, to make that assumption? Just because it's more convenient for you and others doesn't make it logical or sensible.

Assumptions are the mother of lots of fcku ups.

The rules apply to female foreigners too. Or do you think only men want sex?

She is seen as a troll on the Phuket threads- don't break sweat over her comments here! 

23 hours ago, taxin said:

So it’s a 60 day multiple entry visa with a maximum stay of 90 days at a time (subject to visiting the immigration for a 30 day extension), it is NOT a 6 month visa that would allow you to stay in the country for 6 months hassle free. I make that 60 days hassle free, not 6 months hassle free.

The only thing you were right on was there not being any 90 day hassle, you have a 60 day hassle instead.

You actually got me excited, how crazy of me to think their might actually be a 6 month visa. We can all dream I suppose.

I was right in everything you should be less negative and thank me Mr grumpy! 

The validity of the 6 month multiple entry visa is  for 6 months or 180 days from when you get it. A sixty day multiple entry visa ( which does not exist ) would only be good for sixty days. So YOU are wrong in that account or not understanding. If you want a METV to be good for 6 months then it would require just one border hop and in/ out on same day is ok. 

Your question was : There is a six month tourist visa? 

I told you there is a six month multiple entry tourist visa.  It can actually last 9 months as well 

If you want to travel a lot which MANY people do in and out of Thailand it is even more convenient with a METV. 

You are very welcome!!

On 1/28/2018 at 8:42 AM, Lola Bear said:

Yesterday I went to Singapore on an early morning flight for my visa run returned same day 6 Pm . Do I now need to fill in TM 30 Form and do Immigration when they open on Monday and re-report same address . Did not stay overnight returned to my home . Thank you .

Yes, you must report because you left the country and re-entered

14 hours ago, Arkady said:

So does mean that you only have to do this, if you live in Phuket?

That's what l was thinking about, anyway when book in somewhere l thought the rule and onus was on the owners to report foreigner stay..

On 1/28/2018 at 9:02 AM, Mac98 said:

But you will still have to report every move you make. Forget travel. Get one place, never leave it during that six months. And have no foreign guests. Just wait, soon you will have to report Thai overnight guests!

Not true...the hotel has to report me. As a tourist I have no permanent address. I have to submit no map, no picture of my house with the address, no bank statement in ADDITION to the proof of financial solvency and no TM 30. No letter of residency for any ownership transaction. You know that saying ..if it floats, flies or forks it is better to rent it? Yeah well add living in Thailand to that list.  I am dodging the bullsheet. I do not overstay, I do not work, I am not violent, I am working on becoming a drunk but no there yet. I will not be on the leash. When I don't like it I leave.

16 hours ago, alex8912 said:

I was right in everything you should be less negative and thank me Mr grumpy! 

The validity of the 6 month multiple entry visa is  for 6 months or 180 days from when you get it. A sixty day multiple entry visa ( which does not exist ) would only be good for sixty days. So YOU are wrong in that account or not understanding. If you want a METV to be good for 6 months then it would require just one border hop and in/ out on same day is ok. 

Your question was : There is a six month tourist visa? 

I told you there is a six month multiple entry tourist visa.  It can actually last 9 months as well 

If you want to travel a lot which MANY people do in and out of Thailand it is even more convenient with a METV. 

You are very welcome!!

Firstly I am not your typical TV member who scours posts looking to correct people. My question if there was a 6 month tourist visa was not out of sarcasm, I genuinely believed for a minute that there was a 6 months tourist visa, i.e. a visa that would allow you to enter and remain in the kingdom for 6 months without any hassle, which was indicated by michelsavage in his initial post.

Nothing negative about affirming that there is no such thing as a 6 month tourist visa, for anyone out there who may think there is.

This is so simple to fix; if you are a Farang and live permanently in one place start spending the night out in different places and be sure to report these different places.

If a thousand of you spend 3 nights out a month, that's 9000 new pieces of paper generated. If ten thousand of you do this 3 times a month that's an additional 90,000 pieces of paper. My bet, is that in less than a month Farangs that believe this is ridiculous  could bring the entire system crashing down. Hell every time you leave the house and go to the grocery or to a restaurant report a change of location.

On 1/28/2018 at 2:16 AM, Gandtee said:

It would be interesting to know which Immigration Department Command dreams up these schemes? Do the officers expected to carryout their directives think 'Oh!. Not another useless piece of paper? Or, great! a nice little earner.?'

FYI. From what I have seen over the last year and half of posts, it started in Chiang Mai.

This is so simple to fix; if you are a Farang and live permanently in one place start spending the night out in different places and be sure to report these different places.
If a thousand of you spend 3 nights out a month, that's 9000 new pieces of paper generated. If ten thousand of you do this 3 times a month that's an additional 90,000 pieces of paper. My bet, is that in less than a month Farangs that believe this is ridiculous  could bring the entire system crashing down. Hell every time you leave the house and go to the grocery or to a restaurant report a change of location.

Or just completely ignore what this immigration chief is saying. I know what would be easier.

4 hours ago, SEEDGER said:

The problem with that plan is that Thais love paperwork, but retired expats would just like to never have to fill in forms again!

One big problem about is also simply that the people at the Phuket immigration are not able to read / understand the laws and mix up TM28 and TM30 and make their own laws.

On 27.1.2018 at 12:23 PM, Maejo Man said:

When I go on one of my road trips I could be gone for several weeks. Surely it's the job of the hotel to notify immigration when you check in? When I return home it's my landlady's job to tell immigration I have returned.

Never had a problem traveling  the length and breadth of Thailand in the last 30 odd years, but times are changing!!

If you want to comply to the law 100%: The hotel where you stay would file a TM30 when you stay there, but in addition to that you would have to file a TM28 to the police every time you stay at a new place, so if you make a road trip this would mean visiting the police at your new place every day ;)

To the people who were talking about reporting when you sleep at your neighbours place or at the beach:

Immigration Act 37 / 3:

Shall notify the police official of the local police station where such alien resides, within twenty–four hours from the time of arrival. In the case of change in residence in which new residence is not located the same area with the former police stations, such alien must notify the police official of the police station for that area within twenty-four hours from the time of arrival.

This would be done using the TM28, and pay attention that they write "police" and not "immigration police" so they are talking about the "normal" police. So because the police station which is responsible for your home is the same as for your neighbours home you wouldn't have to do the report.

But this is just the official law, and Phuket immigration is making their own laws, so not 100% about what they would expect.

5 hours ago, jojothai said:

FYI. From what I have seen over the last year and half of posts, it started in Chiang Mai.

From the link -

"Col Kathathorn explained that the requirement for foreigners to re-register their address in Thailand, even if they have lived at the same address for many years, derives from an archaic immigration law, specifically Section 37 (2) of the Thailand Immigration Act of 1979."

Then , just to show us  that its all cool and not to worry  , until some individual Immigration cop decides it isnt ( and it goes on our 'records' ! ) he says -

"Although it is the law, if it’s a short stay, for example a day or two, and nothing happens to prompt officials to check then there usually won’t be a problem,” he said, for stays away from home within the country."

What could be a more enlightening example of how Thais deal with Law ?

On 27/01/2018 at 3:13 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

If you were doing an extension in my local office you need current TM30, but regardless, every office makes its own rules. In the case of Phuket, everyone now knows that they need to keep current on TM 30 if they have stayed at any place that does TM 30 that is not your current address.

On 27/01/2018 at 3:13 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Yes, Some offices do not even require you to fill in or use a TM30 anymore, and therefore do not give you back the tear-off return strip.

12 minutes ago, Valentine said:

No. Anyone can do it.

5 minutes ago, GuestForLife said:

5a702a9ced722_Screenshotfrom2018-01-3015-19-14.png.c627643f1637c87966769d12240bcf11.png

Interesting... even if one is not the Owner of the house?
Next time I'll try it for sure... thanks a lot :)

one more thing... where it says "Enterprise Name" should I write my name or the name of the owner... 

Archived