Thailand takes lead as the world’s best country to start a business

rooster59

economy.jpg

Thailand was voted the Number One ranking of the list of Best Countries to Start a Business for the second year in a row out of a total of 80 countries surveyed by the US News and World Report.

Commerce Minister Sontirat Sontijirawong said Friday (Jan 26) that the US media company also placed Thailand on the 8th ranking of a list of 25 Best Countries to Invest In.

He attributed Thailand’s improved ranking in the two categories to the Commerce Ministry’s cutback on the redtapes for the registration of new business in Thailand and the expenses for registration for business operators.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/thailand-takes-lead-worlds-best-country-start-business/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-01-27

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep perfect place to start a business....first off..hand over 49% of it to a Thai person who you have never met and never will....get ripped badly by so called Thai Lawyers in the initial setup costs....then  forced to employ a proportion of Thai staff...who sit on their <deleted> playing on their phones....or simply dont turn up for work 2 or 3 days out of 7........then just when you have the "perfect" business setup along comes the coppers every month with their greedy hands out...

Fake news...or utter bullshit....both...!!

46 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

I assume that report only considers investors from the U.S., who are protected by an antiquated "friendship law" dating back to the Vietnam war and which allows U.S. citizens to actually own 100% of their business. 

As for the rest of us: Yes, it's perhaps easy to start a business with a sackful of money to invest - and lose once your 51% Thai partner smells the profits and saws you off like a dead tree branch; or because your greasy Thai lawyer failed to inform you that as a non-U.S. foreigner you were actually not legally permitted to engage in that sort of business in the first place.

I assume that report only considers investors from the U.S. 

As you say Americans can own 100% of their business because of an antiquated law ( and the billions of dollars pumped into this countries infrastructure during the Vietnam conflict) but just go ahead and try and do that, unless you're coming in as a major economic force no one recognizes that law. 

22 minutes ago, Misterwhisper said:

I assume that report only considers investors from the U.S., who are protected by an antiquated "friendship law" dating back to the Vietnam war and which allows U.S. citizens to actually own 100% of their business. 

As for the rest of us: Yes, it's perhaps easy to start a business with a sackful of money to invest - and lose once your 51% Thai partner smells the profits and saws you off like a dead tree branch; or because your greasy Thai lawyer failed to inform you that as a non-U.S. foreigner you were actually not legally permitted to engage in that sort of business in the first place.

ECHO ?

Sure great place to start a business. People in our village start businesses all the time. Often all they got is a wok and a gas burner and a few plastic chairs. Of course they are doing something else in a couple of weeks, but they found it very easy to start a business

23 minutes ago, dictater said:

As you say Americans can own 100% of their business because of an antiquated law ( and the billions of dollars pumped into this countries infrastructure during the Vietnam conflict) but just go ahead and try and do that, unless you're coming in as a major economic force no one recognizes that law. 

So many people actually believe it's that easy for anyone from USA to start and own a business 100%.

Take a good read at the conditions and the types of work restricted and the financial investment required. It may just change your ideas.

Google is your friend.

1 hour ago, gunderhill said:

Wonder how it ranks for new ventures  closed  down after 12  months?

very true, especially when one considers the key money, which is off the books, for property owners, which are to be paid annually, and can also increase as the property owner becomes more interested in a successful business, as the silent partner of sorts. 

Personally I refuse to go this route of paying this contract money / key money, while the property owner tries to explain that I can just build the cost into the prices of my service.

As I'm just not interested in taking on a silent partner just to rent the space for my business, 

it's all such a joke for the people who fall for this...yet the Thai's figure the foreigners are to naive to know any better, yet later fail to succeed in their new business venture, due to all the unnecessary overhead cost which they find are built-into their startup business.

If people would just refuse to pay it, then it would go away. 

In the end the people who own the land / space for a new business are the ones really profiting from these new businesses, and for doing nothing in return.

54 minutes ago, KIWIBATCH said:

Yep perfect place to start a business....first off..hand over 49% of it to a Thai person who you have never met and never will....get ripped badly by so called Thai Lawyers in the initial setup costs....then  forced to employ a proportion of Thai staff...who sit on their <deleted> playing on their phones....or simply dont turn up for work 2 or 3 days out of 7........then just when you have the "perfect" business setup along comes the coppers every month with their greedy hands out...

Fake news...or utter bullshit....both...!!

I think you’ll find you have to hand over 51%. I thought that it was us pesky foreigners that could only own 49%.

46 minutes ago, Aroyaroy said:

Did I miss something?

In 2017 and 2018 PDF reports Thailand ranks 27 and 30 respectively. No #1 positions for sub-categories either.

Can someone help me? I want to see #1 ranking. Thank you.

This is only the opinion of the World Bank. Many other foreign investors know otherwise. The World Bank seems ignorant of the fact that is a military government run by one man.

Article 44 is the Sword of Damocles that hangs over any foreign business in Thailand. For confirmation ask Kingsgate Mining.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-countries/best-start-a-business?slide=6

1 hour ago, Misterwhisper said:

Unless things have changed recently if you form a Thai company the restricted businesses do not apply since the company is considered a Thai juristic person. 

14 minutes ago, KICHIKRISH said:

On what basis is this claim because the news article, I read is totally different. Is this news spin or am missing some news information 

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-countries/open-for-business-full-list

Yes you are missing something. It is not "Open for Business Rankings" it is "Best Country to Start a Business Rankings". The World Bank has thousands of rankings for every occasion. Every country gets to be a winner in at least one them.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-countries/best-start-a-business?slide=6

Archived