Thailand takes lead as the world’s best country to start a business

rooster59

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Aroyaroy said:

Did I miss something?

In 2017 and 2018 PDF reports Thailand ranks 27 and 30 respectively. No #1 positions for sub-categories either.

Can someone help me? I want to see #1 ranking. Thank you.

Its in the article. When they say they are number 1, then they are number 1. Its that simple. Don't spoil the moment!

Now please just enjoy the number 1 position and stop asking so many annoying questions and bringing other numbers into it. ;-) You really need some attitude adjustment :-)

4 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Commerce Minister Sontirat Sontijirawong said . . . .

Come and start a business, here, chaps. Thailand may never have a legally elected government . . . but what the hell's that got to do with it? You're here to make some money - not to talk politics. And we've cutback on so much red tape, we're falling over the stuff!

2 hours ago, overherebc said:

Even under the treaty FBA rules still apply.

Each 'business'the company wants to do requires 3,000,000 on top of the minimum 2,000,000 to start.

It's intended for large companies to start a branch in Thailand not Joe Bubba from Texas who wants to open a bar in walking street.

For years I've been hearing from USA expats that they are going to open a business under this system and they are still talking about it years later.

Did I say anything about the treaty? 

13 minutes ago, wolfmanjack said:

Did I say anything about the treaty? 

No you didn't.

But many reading this thread will not put the Amity/Thai Company rules together and still believe as a 'oneman band' they can start a company and do what they want because the US expat on the next bar stool tells them so.

They've been saying this since the 90's and I still don't know one that's done it

I have been registered Under the "Thai American Treaty of Amity" since 1992.

Treaty is between His Majesty "The King of Thailand"and The President of the United States, Lindon B Johnson.

I have never had any problems with the Thailand complying fully with the terms of this treaty.

US News website: to Start a Business for the second year in a row out of a total of 80 countries surveyed by the US News and World Report US news states that it depends on Thai percentage of ownership..

World News Website: Several recent major improvements in the ease of doing business stand out. For example, Thailand abolished a requirement to obtain a company’s seal and eliminated the need for approval of company work regulations from the Labor Department.

In summary the US companies as one international company  say "YAY - cheap labor wages and bullshit OHS regulations". But say BOO to constantly forking out money to politicians.

Love Thailand. Politicians heading for No 1 in treating their own citizens as slave labor for foreign companies.

6 minutes ago, overherebc said:

No you didn't.

But many reading this thread will not put the Amity/Thai Company rules together and still believe as a 'oneman band' they can start a company and do what they want because the US expat on the next bar stool tells them so.

They've been saying this since the 90's and I still don't know one that's done it

When I first came here I met a guy that had a company registered under the treaty and he recommended I do the same but when I checked into it the lawyer I spoke to said the government had made it much more difficult to do so I just went ahead and set up a Thai limited company with my sister in law and some friends. Before anyone comments about getting ripped off, I never had a problem with my Thai partners. They all had businesses of their own though and are really honest people.

4 minutes ago, wolfmanjack said:

When I first came here I met a guy that had a company registered under the treaty and he recommended I do the same but when I checked into it the lawyer I spoke to said the government had made it much more difficult to do so I just went ahead and set up a Thai limited company with my sister in law and some friends. Before anyone comments about getting ripped off, I never had a problem with my Thai partners. They all had businesses of their own though and are really honest people.

Really really honest people. Never heard of such people!

1 hour ago, Lupatria said:

And what industry would that be,- luxury watch repair?

Or maybe "Good Friends", a little dusty shop in a dark side lane that lends luxury watches to egocentric bigwigs like certain high-ranking government ministers so they can show them off during the numerous photo-posing opportunities that they crave so much. 

"....companies that are not majority Thai owned are subject to the Foreign Business Act, under which many endeavors that could attract entrepreneurs to Thailand are restricted,..."

And the survey puts Thailand at number 8!? Hmmm......another 'biased' survey perhaps? :whistling:

Personally I wouldn't invest in Thailand. I see great opportunities everywhere but as a farang, I've just heard to many stories like the guy from Norway. In business it's even worse.  Everyone is watching and probing for weakness, some will stop at nothing to take whatever you build and the farang always loses, one way or another.

Call me cynical..

6 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

if you are Thai. yes.

not Thai, not so much.

5 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

I assume that report only considers investors from the U.S., who are protected by an antiquated "friendship law" dating back to the Vietnam war and which allows U.S. citizens to actually own 100% of their business. 

As for the rest of us: Yes, it's perhaps easy to start a business with a sackful of money to invest - and lose once your 51% Thai partner smells the profits and saws you off like a dead tree branch; or because your greasy Thai lawyer failed to inform you that as a non-U.S. foreigner you were actually not legally permitted to engage in that sort of business in the first place.

I assume that report only considers investors from the U.S. 

Are they still approving businesses Under The Amity treaty? I know it still exists on paper but heard that it's near impossible to get them approved. If they are still approving them I would like to start a business right away

1 hour ago, wolfmanjack said:

Not sure but I think it, the treaty, was changed, not re-newed or changed somehow in 2005.

My wife was working in the UK for a Japanese company that had manufacturing plants in various Asian countries. She always had issues dealing with the Thai office and had to complain a lot to the Japanese manager working there. Now she has lived in Thailand for a while she understands what he must of been up against and feels bad about how she treated him. 

Archived