Thailand takes lead as the world’s best country to start a business

rooster59

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The biggest joke until now this year .. and it's only 27 January and a lot more jokes and Lies Will come to us the next 11 month that 100 % sure .. and the biggest problem is that all the thai people they will believe it all themselves [emoji16]

IMG_7250.JPG.013045442c20878b99a349ed5e0617cb.JPG&key=6a88fa85d4b0e1ba065af2201cb8e1e18e97bb11f703988a0a45fc1425f602f8

Mega wealth will not be made investing at the top.

I remember when India was a shit hole and no westerner would dream of investing. How stupid was that!

This rating is spot on especially being outside in the USA. Of course the majority of expats being busted arsed Balloon chasing school teachers and fan room pensioners like you will fight it.... They will never be a part of it [emoji26]

It looks like only loosers and haters read this forum. There is so much people making 20 000 bath/day here with small business, even only on facebook sometimes, that it is not possible nobody know some of them here ? Where do you live ? In an expat bar full of alcoholic and mythomans ? .....Thailand surprise me the most for this : it is full of dumb farang out of the real life.

Did they mix-up military coup with business?

Nobody except a few dozen jaded expats gives a rats about the coup.

Try this next time you speak to one of the 30 million tourists ask who is governing the country. You will get a blank stare and shrugged shoulders

8 hours ago, KIWIBATCH said:

Yep perfect place to start a business....first off..hand over 49% of it to a Thai person who you have never met and never will....get ripped badly by so called Thai Lawyers in the initial setup costs....then  forced to employ a proportion of Thai staff...who sit on their <deleted> playing on their phones....or simply dont turn up for work 2 or 3 days out of 7........then just when you have the "perfect" business setup along comes the coppers every month with their greedy hands out...

Fake news...or utter bullshit....both...!!

I think you need to handover 51%, not 49%.

Haha I love this thread. The haters just don't know how to handle a respected international rating like this except to desperately hide behind 50 year old mantras like "don't invest more than you can .... Blah blah"

Love watching jaded expats crying [emoji23]

10 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

I assume that report only considers investors from the U.S., who are protected by an antiquated "friendship law" dating back to the Vietnam war and which allows U.S. citizens to actually own 100% of their business. 

As for the rest of us: Yes, it's perhaps easy to start a business with a sackful of money to invest - and lose once your 51% Thai partner smells the profits and saws you off like a dead tree branch; or because your greasy Thai lawyer failed to inform you that as a non-U.S. foreigner you were actually not legally permitted to engage in that sort of business in the first place.

I assume that report only considers investors from the U.S. 

only thai investors ? ....huh .... the wife's of investors ?..... 

10 hours ago, KIWIBATCH said:

Yep perfect place to start a business....first off..hand over 49% of it to a Thai person who you have never met and never will....get ripped badly by so called Thai Lawyers in the initial setup costs....then  forced to employ a proportion of Thai staff...who sit on their <deleted> playing on their phones....or simply dont turn up for work 2 or 3 days out of 7........then just when you have the "perfect" business setup along comes the coppers every month with their greedy hands out...

Fake news...or utter bullshit....both...!!

Yeah. The perfect viewpoint from a bar...

I've heard those stories as well. 

Interesting though that multinational companies invest here. Must be their trust on the bar girl owning the 51% ;)

If its true that  80% of businesses fail, it is not really saying much to say that according to some people's perceptions (people whose experience with Thailand may be a 2 week holiday or couple of business trips) that Thailand is a good place to start a business, the operative word there being "start."

So Yeah, who could argue that its not a good place? Relatively chilled out people, interesting looking temples, some exotica like cobras and pythons and elephants and tigers to be seen on your weekend picnics etc, doesn't snow, lovely Buddhist monks everywhere. Who's to say Tahiti or Miami is a better place when it comes time to pack it in and join the 80 percenters club?

IMO, if you are going to open a small business as a foreigner it is best done in a more open country that lets you own and operate the business in your name at 100% ownership. Or open one here with extremely little cash outlay. I designed and built a very cheap solar hot water heating system one year.  It was very good and very cheap. As soon as the people saw the potential it was a total disaster. Even my GF of 10 years changed when she saw the potential. Small business and Thailand do not mix IMO. 

Big business is probably a different story. 

If you read the full article you will understand the ranking better: 

"The Open for Business subranking is based on an equally weighted average of scores from five country attributes that relate to how open for business a country is: bureaucratic, cheap manufacturing costs, corrupt, favorable tax environment and transparent government practices. The Open for Business subranking score had a 12 percent weight in the overall Best Countries ranking. ..."

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-countries/open-for-business-rankings

2 hours ago, toughlove said:

Haha I love this thread. The haters just don't know how to handle a respected international rating like this except to desperately hide behind 50 year old mantras like "don't invest more than you can .... Blah blah"

Love watching jaded expats crying emoji23.png

Indeed it is interesting:)

Pretty easy to see the business man wannabes. No experience of business what so ever, hooking up with a bar girl, buy a bar or other massage parlour and now is the expert of making business in Thailand 5555

Actually it is sad, really. 

Indeed it is interesting:)

Pretty easy to see the business man wannabes. No experience of business what so ever, hooking up with a bar girl, buy a bar or other massage parlour and now is the expert of making business in Thailand 5555

Actually it is sad, really. 

Yeah. It's sad that the replies here have no idea this rating is not about bars or massage.

Just recently made a quick trip to oz and on the flight the boozed up old man next to me was grinning from ear to ear showing pics of his BG girlfriend. Then told me he is sending 20k oz so she can open a hair salon.

After that I pulled out my phone and put the ear plugs in. Nothing left to say nor would it have made a difference.

14 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

I assume that report only considers investors from the U.S., who are protected by an antiquated "friendship law" dating back to the Vietnam war and which allows U.S. citizens to actually own 100% of their business. 

As for the rest of us: Yes, it's perhaps easy to start a business with a sackful of money to invest - and lose once your 51% Thai partner smells the profits and saws you off like a dead tree branch; or because your greasy Thai lawyer failed to inform you that as a non-U.S. foreigner you were actually not legally permitted to engage in that sort of business in the first place.

I assume that report only considers investors from the U.S. 

Yep.

Anyone remember the story of Carlsberg and ThaiBev?

The US use Thailand as a hub for obvious reasons.  It's no surprise the US praise Thailand and yet turn a blind eye to the undemocratic way in which Thais are forced  to endure, including  many other obvious aspects of life, which would normally be condemned and acted upon by so called Super Powers as well as other Countries.

Like many, I too have been burnt by so called respectable businessmen, lawyers plus police in my past efforts to help stimulate the local economy,, and as is always the case, the greedy unlawful hands appear and the workers disappear, with so called justice being ignored because, in my experiences, I'm a farang ,or to put it in a more polite term, a foreigner!

T.I.T

The US use Thailand as a hub for obvious reasons.  It's no surprise the US praise Thailand and yet turn a blind eye to the undemocratic way in which Thais are forced  to endure, including  many other obvious aspects of life, which would normally be condemned and acted upon by so called Super Powers as well as other Countries.

Like many, I too have been burnt by so called respectable businessmen, lawyers plus police in my past efforts to help stimulate the local economy,, and as is always the case, the greedy unlawful hands appear and the workers disappear, with so called justice being ignored because, in my experiences, I'm a farang ,or to put it in a more polite term, a foreigner!

T.I.T

All that just to say you were a flop?

Amazing, never met a farang who failed in business here. The blame is always on the local mafia, police, lawyers
Absolute nonsense!

2 hours ago, Sonhia said:

T.I.T

Actually you're an ATM!

10 hours ago, Hupaponics said:

Yeah. The perfect viewpoint from a bar...

I've heard those stories as well. 

Interesting though that multinational companies invest here. Must be their trust on the bar girl owning the 51% ;)

And absolutely nothing to do with the cheap wages...

Perhaps starting a business is easy, I've never tried, but I find living here a real trial. Immigration had me start by jumping thro hoops, then they made the hoops smaller, then they set them on fire, now they keep the hoops moving. 30 years of this has driven me crazy.

Archived