Thailand takes lead as the world’s best country to start a business

rooster59

21 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

I assume that report only considers investors from the U.S., who are protected by an antiquated "friendship law" dating back to the Vietnam war and which allows U.S. citizens to actually own 100% of their business. 

As for the rest of us: Yes, it's perhaps easy to start a business with a sackful of money to invest - and lose once your 51% Thai partner smells the profits and saws you off like a dead tree branch; or because your greasy Thai lawyer failed to inform you that as a non-U.S. foreigner you were actually not legally permitted to engage in that sort of business in the first place.

I assume that report only considers investors from the U.S. 

No it's called the Amity Treaty.  Makes many things very easy for Americans here including visa and immigration procedures. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siamese–American_Treaty_of_Amity_and_Commerce

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Thechook said:

What a load of rubbish.  You have provide 100% of the capital and then hand over 51% of the business to a thai who scoops the majority profits for zero outlay.  You have lost from the beginning

Americans don't.  We're exempt from that.  It's called the Amity Treaty.  Check it out man... 

4 minutes ago, joeyg said:

Americans don't.  We're exempt from that.  It's called the Amity Treaty.  Check it out man... 

Yes, you are exempt from a lot of things under the treaty.

It doesn't mean to say it's straightforward applying it though.

I can think of two Americans who separately received the usual "No", when quoting it.

One was to buy a property & the land in their own name (less than 1 rai).

Another was just to have their name on the back of their wife's chanote for their house, to prevent her selling it without the husband's consent.

Both had to take the Land Office to court (in Chonburi and Udon Thani) and argue their case - both won, of course.

On 1/27/2018 at 12:00 PM, rooster59 said:

Thailand takes lead as the world’s best country to start a business

So, a country, where...

1. There is no legitimate government, but which is ruled by a military junta.

2. There is rampant police and immigration authority's corruption and extortion.

3. There is no clear rule of law, as there is no elected parliament. Investment rules are enacted randomly and by police order.

4. State authorities, like the Immigration office and the police encourage illegal practices to circumvent the law.

5. Foreign investors are limited to a less than 50% ownership of their property and investments. The possibility of repatriation of invested money or profits is limited.

6. Investors have no guarantee that they will be admitted to the country after a trip abroad, etc., etc.

If this qualifies as "the world's best country to start a business", what were the other countries surveyed; North Korea, ISIS Caliphate, Nigeria, Somaliland, and South Sudan?? :smile:

20 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Your post was the latter.  Oh sorry, you weren't asking a question...answer's still the same though.

Well Weird start a business see how u go?  I am sure you will be smiling when the action starts. Just see how your Thai staff perform for you? Oh one fav Kiwi forgot to mention when they decide they dont want to work for you anymore they just dont come back No notice Nothing. Like one day they are at work next day just disappear. Great way to run a business  But maybe you think that is ok? So Kiwi is not talking Bs

59 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

So, a country, where...

1. There is no legitimate government, but which is ruled by a military junta.

2. There is rampant police and immigration authority's corruption and extortion.

3. There is no clear rule of law, as there is no elected parliament. Investment rules are enacted randomly and by police order.

4. State authorities, like the Immigration office and the police encourage illegal practices to circumvent the law.

5. Foreign investors are limited to a less than 50% ownership of their property and investments. The possibility of repatriation of invested money or profits is limited.

6. Investors have no guarantee that they will be admitted to the country after a trip abroad, etc., etc.

If this qualifies as "the world's best country to start a business", what were the other countries surveyed; North Korea, ISIS Caliphate, Nigeria, Somaliland, and South Sudan?? :smile:

Perfect for a rich elite?

3 hours ago, Happyman58 said:

Well Weird start a business see how u go?  I am sure you will be smiling when the action starts. Just see how your Thai staff perform for you? Oh one fav Kiwi forgot to mention when they decide they dont want to work for you anymore they just dont come back No notice Nothing. Like one day they are at work next day just disappear. Great way to run a business  But maybe you think that is ok? So Kiwi is not talking Bs

Well, 58, why should I?  I wasn't making a business recommendation, I was commenting on the bullshit generalisation in your post that I stand by.

Just now, Just Weird said:

Well, 58, why should I?  I wasn't making a business recommendation, I was commenting on the bullshit generalisation in your post that I stand by.

Ok then Well one day go around and ask farang who have Thai wives and run a business. I am one of them. I am 60 and i still get around alright My official title is fill in when staff dont turn up Thought that would be a cosy number for me I was wrong We have 4 staff and in one week it is not uncommon for each one of them to have a day off Even though we dont open the shop on Monday  There is no asking if they can have a day off they just take it Why do we put up with it? Because it took us 6 months to get staff Had signs up everywhere and nobody put in for it . Are they well  paid ? 500 baht per day we feed them and they work 7 hours per day Also they get all the tips which is average 100 baht per worker Also Kiwi batch was the one who put the post out not me OK  I just agreed with him from experience  that i have had here

19 minutes ago, Happyman58 said:

Ok then Well one day go around and ask farang who have Thai wives and run a business. I am one of them. I am 60 and i still get around alright My official title is fill in when staff dont turn up Thought that would be a cosy number for me I was wrong We have 4 staff and in one week it is not uncommon for each one of them to have a day off Even though we dont open the shop on Monday  There is no asking if they can have a day off they just take it Why do we put up with it? Because it took us 6 months to get staff Had signs up everywhere and nobody put in for it . Are they well  paid ? 500 baht per day we feed them and they work 7 hours per day Also they get all the tips which is average 100 baht per worker Also Kiwi batch was the one who put the post out not me OK  I just agreed with him from experience  that i have had here

Can't you read? 

I was not commenting on business set-ups in Thailand, I was commenting on your bullshit generalisation of all foreign-owned businesses in Thailand, not just yours, that, as you point it out, wouldn't have staff problems if you had control of your own business.  Just because you recruited crap staff does not mean that every worker in Thailand is the same.

My comment originally was to KIWIBATCH but you involved yourself by agreeing with him and then adding to his moan so you get tarred with the same brush particularly as you backed up the generalisation with the comments above.

By the way, I'm a farang, I'm 66and have no issues getting around (why did you bring that up) have had more than one Thai wife both of whom have owned businesses.

On 1/27/2018 at 12:55 PM, Misterwhisper said:

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

I assume that report only considers investors from the U.S., who are protected by an antiquated "friendship law" dating back to the Vietnam war and which allows U.S. citizens to actually own 100% of their business. 

As for the rest of us: Yes, it's perhaps easy to start a business with a sackful of money to invest - and lose once your 51% Thai partner smells the profits and saws you off like a dead tree branch; or because your greasy Thai lawyer failed to inform you that as a non-U.S. foreigner you were actually not legally permitted to engage in that sort of business in the first place.

I assume that report only considers investors from the U.S. 

US News and World Report produces endless list of all sorts of rankings.  HOW?  By just sending out a questionnaire and coding the responses in for tabulation.  How much verifying?  Well none!   Absolutely none!  Deep in the details of the actual list you will find that in the small print.  I have been amazed before by strange reporting at USNWR.  I dug through one group of rankings to find this out and today I don't even consider the source for amusement purposes.

20 hours ago, padamphet said:

It looks like only loosers and haters read this forum. There is so much people making 20 000 bath/day here with small business, even only on facebook sometimes, that it is not possible nobody know some of them here ? Where do you live ? In an expat bar full of alcoholic and mythomans ? .....Thailand surprise me the most for this : it is full of dumb farang out of the real life.

Why do think they went there in the first place?

21 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Can't you read? 

I was not commenting on business set-ups in Thailand, I was commenting on your bullshit generalisation of all foreign-owned businesses in Thailand, not just yours, that, as you point it out, wouldn't have staff problems if you had control of your own business.  Just because you recruited crap staff does not mean that every worker in Thailand is the same.

My comment originally was to KIWIBATCH but you involved yourself by agreeing with him and then adding to his moan so you get tarred with the same brush particularly as you backed up the generalisation with the comments above.

By the way, I'm a farang, I'm 66and have no issues getting around (why did you bring that up) have had more than one Thai wife both of whom have owned businesses.

Ha ha crap staff ok   Then you maybe  able to suggest to me where  i can find better staff? My staff are not crap They are good at there jobs but there work ethics are not so good What Kiwi Batch said was right and i will agree with him I dont think he was moaning unless u class people who speak their mind from experience "as moaning" ? I thought u said u were 58 sorry you are 66 and no i was not saying anything about you getting around I said to you why dont you go and talk to some business to see what problems they are having? By suggesting that i recruited crap staff is suggesting to me that i have no idea what i am doing Sorry we cant be as perfect as you 

Think i close this matter u seem to be getting over heated in the conversation You believe what you want to believe and i will carry on with my crap staff ok If you want to keep talking about this subject i suggest you take it up with Kiwi Batch because i am a person who believes you can argue till you are blue in the face and nobody will ever win  Have  a nice day or night Byeeeeeeeeeeeee

How can any independent source possibly come up with this conclusion?:blink:

When a country in which you are establishing a business has such a warped so-called justice system that your partner can get away with colluding with a group of other people to defraud you of your assets by forging your signature? And then on top of that instead of the so-called justice system granting you immediate restitution once the perpetrator is caught out, the victim of the crime is the one charged with criminal defamation simply for trying to get the assets back.

Then to add insult to injury when a major international news organisation (BBC) tries to report on this injustice the reporter is also charged with defamation with his passport taken away from him.:giggle:

Some jokers might have considered Thailand to be the world's best country to start a business , but it certainly isn't the best place to run it:bah:

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-34346620

5 hours ago, midas said:

When a country in which you are establishing a business has such a warped so-called justice system that your partner can get away with colluding with a group of other people to defraud you of your assets by forging your signature? And then on top of that instead of the so-called justice system granting you immediate restitution once the perpetrator is caught out, the victim of the crime is the one charged with criminal defamation simply for trying to get the assets back.

Then to add insult to injury when a major international news organisation (BBC) tries to report on this injustice the reporter is also charged with defamation with his passport taken away from him.:giggle:

Some jokers might have considered Thailand to be the world's best country to start a business , but it certainly isn't the best place to run it:bah:

"How can any independent source possibly come up with this conclusion?" (my italics)

Because they have no freeking idea of reality! Perhaps they have considered only the "rules" of setting up a business and know nothing of 'social justice' issues (two that you have mentioned) which may impact on running a business within the Kingdom.

But then again maybe it was about setting up a business (by a country's citizens?) not the wider parameters of setting up and running a business by foreign investors?

22 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Yes, you are exempt from a lot of things under the treaty.

It doesn't mean to say it's straightforward applying it though.

I can think of two Americans who separately received the usual "No", when quoting it.

One was to buy a property & the land in their own name (less than 1 rai).

Another was just to have their name on the back of their wife's chanote for their house, to prevent her selling it without the husband's consent.

Both had to take the Land Office to court (in Chonburi and Udon Thani) and argue their case - both won, of course.

I believe it.  Sometimes it takes a fight.  but the law is on the Americans side via the Amity Treaty.  We don't need to deposit 800,000 bhat in the bank either for retirement visa.  That one is routine.

Should it read.............. Best place to lose your business? 
You mean the best place not to open the tenth beer bar in a tiny soi? There are very few real business men here, most work for the man all there lives and save a nice little nest egg and then "become" a business man a month after stepping off the plane

Well we all know that after 12 months he is getting right back on that plane again [emoji3]

On 1/27/2018 at 4:46 PM, garyk said:

IMO, if you are going to open a small business as a foreigner it is best done in a more open country that lets you own and operate the business in your name at 100% ownership. Or open one here with extremely little cash outlay. I designed and built a very cheap solar hot water heating system one year.  It was very good and very cheap. As soon as the people saw the potential it was a total disaster. Even my GF of 10 years changed when she saw the potential. Small business and Thailand do not mix IMO. 

Big business is probably a different story. 

Can you elaborate?

I have been personally involved in trying to start 3 businesses of the same type with investments of around 5,000,000usd in Thailand. We got robbed every time. It wasn't my money though and I had a hard time getting my last paycheck, in fact still looking for about ten of those in SE Asia, from India to China.

On 1/27/2018 at 8:59 PM, toughlove said:

Nobody except a few dozen jaded expats gives a rats about the coup.

Try this next time you speak to one of the 30 million tourists ask who is governing the country. You will get a blank stare and shrugged shoulders

Exactly. Besides a few military guys with police patrols at airports and very sparsely dotted about keeping things in line the tourists don't give a monkeys. Last time I entered a few months back the airport was packed out at immigration in arrivals. I'd not seen it as busy in nearly 20 years of visiting the country.

The biggest whiners about this country are liberals peeved that the military stepped in to keep things in line.

On 1/28/2018 at 1:22 PM, midas said:

This has to be the best post ever written on TV, every detail is 100% correct Well done Midas

Archived