Why Thailand if Malaysia is so much easier and nicer

Juntaa

I find all day drinking easier in KL than in Thailand, with its recently-introduced quaint and archaic restrictions on afternoon drinking.

Thailand has some cooler weather and some hotter weather and some drier weather.

• Like 2

I worked a couple of year in different parts of Malaysia and never felt truly welcome. There is this underlying segregation between the Malay, Chinese-Malay and Indian-Malay everywhere you go.

Thailand feel more like home to me. 

That's interesting. My impression is that Malaysia is more orderly in a way westerners might feel is like home as it was a British colony before. Yes there is segregation in Malaysia and western countries as well. On the cultural thing a lot of expats choose Penang which is of course much more Chinese Buddhist than other parts of the country.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

1 hour ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

I doubt you can live on 90 day extensions forever, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Rumor has it a POTY was trying to move there but were surprised when told they didn't have enough money. KUL are generous on the entry VISA of 90 days (I get that when I'm waiting 6 hrs for a through flight), but staying there LT is probably much harder.

Philippines you can arrive and stay 3 years without leaving, no finance checks at all.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

25 minutes ago, poanoi said:

if there are BiG C comparable to thailand,
then the only remaining question beside the ever present visa hassle is:
do they have go-go i can sit and get drunk in every day ?

To the best of my knowledge, no go-go bars, but others may know better.

13 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

OP my ans :- Don't like Muslim run countries.

So there we have it.  The main reason expressed why people preferred Thailand was their own prejudice against Muslim-run countries.  Alcohol is more expensive, and there are no ‘go-go’ bars.  Some people believe pork and hookers are hard to find, but I can assure you their faith would be sorely tested in KL.

• Confused 1

25 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

So there we have it.  The main reason expressed why people preferred Thailand was their own prejudice against Muslim-run countries.  Alcohol is more expensive, and there are no ‘go-go’ bars.  Some people believe pork and hookers are hard to find, but I can assure you their faith would be sorely tested in KL.

That was my theory as well. After all our sex drive is the dominant force, Mother Nature compels men to thrive for reproduction. If only she knew how much we have refined that process.
As to alcohol and bacon, I'm not sure but I may have had pork at one of the countless Chinese places in Penang. I didn't miss it yet, but then again I always preferred lamb to pork. Beer is more expensive yes but can still be bought at every 7-11.

I believe cycling in downtown KL is probably more pleasant than Bangkok, and also, I believe, in the suburbs.  That said, I would not recommend cycling through KL city centre on a week day.  I’ve never cycled in Bangkok, so cannot be sure, and I am surprised by the number of cyclists I see there

2 minutes ago, HampiK said:

The Muslim country is a problem, as for example in KL you will sometimes wake up 4 clock morning because of the praying.

I am surprised, that you not mention this behavior as this was the main problem for me in this country!

The first call to prayers is about 5 am, I think (not sure why not 0600 or so, one hour before sunrise).  In Malaysia we are lucky that sunrise is fairly consistent throughout the year.

I get more annoyed by the little boys revving their motor bikes and toy cars to impress the little girls outside the pubs across the road at 0200 or 0300, or the dreadful pub singers, slightly earlier in the evening.

This year’s NewYear’s Morning I was wakened by really the most outrageously loud thumpety-thump music at 0800; luckily it stopped before I could google “Where to buy a sniper’s rifle for delivery to my condo on a public holiday”.  I think they were just testing the system for the local church (across the road, upstairs from

one of the pubs) as they had a fete in the afternoon / early evening.  It was quite subdued, and the Paramilitary Private Parking Wardens kept the traffic flowing

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Rumor has it a POTY was trying to move there but were surprised when told they didn't have enough money. KUL are generous on the entry VISA of 90 days (I get that when I'm waiting 6 hrs for a through flight), but staying there LT is probably much harder.

Philippines you can arrive and stay 3 years without leaving, no finance checks at all.

wow ! but, whats the catch ?

is it shit quality all over the place or what ?

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, HampiK said:

The Muslim country is a problem, as for example in KL you will sometimes wake up 4 clock morning because of the praying.

I am surprised, that you not mention this behavior as this was the main problem for me in this country!

Not at all. I stayed in Malacca, KL and Penang and in neither of the cities I had an issue with the praying. In Malacca the mosque was just down the road and I may be wrong but they didn't do any (noticeable) morning praying. Maybe because it was a tourist area. In KL I stayed in a nice apartment and a mosque was nowhere to be seen. When renting a property one can always check out the area beforehand. Generally speaking I am very oblivious to mosques here.

14 minutes ago, Juntaa said:

Not at all. I stayed in Malacca, KL and Penang and in neither of the cities I had an issue with the praying. In Malacca the mosque was just down the road and I may be wrong but they didn't do any (noticeable) morning praying. Maybe because it was a tourist area. In KL I stayed in a nice apartment and a mosque was nowhere to be seen. When renting a property one can always check out the area beforehand. Generally speaking I am very oblivious to mosques here.

It also depends on whether you sleep with the windows open.  If the noise really bothered me, I could close the windows and run the AC.

1 hour ago, Juntaa said:

That was my theory as well. After all our sex drive is the dominant force, Mother Nature compels men to thrive for reproduction. If only she knew how much we have refined that process.
As to alcohol and bacon, I'm not sure but I may have had pork at one of the countless Chinese places in Penang. I didn't miss it yet, but then again I always preferred lamb to pork. Beer is more expensive yes but can still be bought at every 7-11.

You buy your beer from 7-11?

• Haha 1