BANGKOK 21 March 2019 04:43

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Juntaa

Why Thailand if Malaysia is so much easier and nicer

Please can someone explain to me why anyone would chose to live or spend their holiday in Thailand compared to Malaysia? I am currently traveling through SE Asia and spent enough time in both countries to be able to compare the pros and cons of living and holidaying in both of them.

Malaysia

.) 90 days visa free stay. Visa run to neighbouring countries possible with another 90 days extension thereafter

.) No ATM fees

.) EVERYONE speaks English (for me personally the greatest of all benefits)

.) Food, beverages, literally everything has English description

.) Same prices for locals and foreigners, no "farang prices"

.) Same food portions for locals and foreigners, no "farang portions"

.) Food in general is DELICIOUS and comes in all variations (Malaysian, Indian, Chinese, Indonesian). Admittedly the only meal I do miss here is Mango sticky rice

.) People seem more genuine, friendly and willing to help foreigners, answer questions. Willing to interact with foreigners (I guess due to being able to communicate in English)

.) Sandy beaches are less frequent than in Thailand but still easy to reach, see Langkawi or other islands

.) Shopping malls, cinemas, supermarkets etc are as shiny and humongous as in Thailand

.) Price level comparable to Thailand or cheaper. Although Malaysia's GDP per capita stands at 9,502 USD, compared to Thailand's 5,907 USD - this source here says Bangkok is overall 21% more expensive than Kuala Lumpur https://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-living/comparison/kuala-lumpur/bangkok

I am not going to list the benefits of Thailand as I can't think of any right now except the promiscuity of Thai ladies and perhaps being able to drink alcohol in public places. Also I'd like the Thaivisa community to give some input which country in their opinion wins the race and why.

If anyone is wondering why I started this topic: pure curiosity!

I find all day drinking easier in KL than in Thailand, with its recently-introduced quaint and archaic restrictions on afternoon drinking.

Thailand has some cooler weather and some hotter weather and some drier weather.

I would have considered Malaysia but their retirement visa financial requirements are much higher than Thailand. 

26 minutes ago, Juntaa said:

Sad. I will ignore this comment.

That comment was likely offered without good intent, but it's a fact that the dominant religion of a country has a major impact on the overall culture. You could say similar things about the Philippines where the Catholic religion is so dominant. The Philippines would be very different if it was mostly Buddhist, Malaysia would be very different if it was mostly Hindu, and Thailand would be very different if it was mostly Jewish.

I worked a couple of year in different parts of Malaysia and never felt truly welcome. There is this underlying segregation between the Malay, Chinese-Malay and Indian-Malay everywhere you go.

Thailand feel more like home to me. 

I worked a couple of year in different parts of Malaysia and never felt truly welcome. There is this underlying segregation between the Malay, Chinese-Malay and Indian-Malay everywhere you go.

Thailand feel more like home to me. 

That's interesting. My impression is that Malaysia is more orderly in a way westerners might feel is like home as it was a British colony before. Yes there is segregation in Malaysia and western countries as well. On the cultural thing a lot of expats choose Penang which is of course much more Chinese Buddhist than other parts of the country.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, Juntaa said:

Sad. I will ignore this comment.

Not sure why you would ignore that comment.

Islam means no hookers, high alcohol prices and no pork.

Beer in KL costs more than in the UK.

I could live without the hookers, but I insist on bacon for breakfast and a beer with dinner.

(not that keen on lamb or goat)

if there are BiG C comparable to thailand,
then the only remaining question beside the ever present visa hassle is:
do they have go-go i can sit and get drunk in every day ?

1 hour ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

I doubt you can live on 90 day extensions forever, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Rumor has it a POTY was trying to move there but were surprised when told they didn't have enough money. KUL are generous on the entry VISA of 90 days (I get that when I'm waiting 6 hrs for a through flight), but staying there LT is probably much harder.

Philippines you can arrive and stay 3 years without leaving, no finance checks at all.

27 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Not sure why you would ignore that comment.

Islam means no hookers, high alcohol prices and no pork.

Beer in KL costs more than in the UK.

I could live without the hookers, but I insist on bacon for breakfast and a beer with dinner.

(not that keen on lamb or goat)

You must believe in a different Islam to me if you believe it means no hookers in KL or Dubai.  Bacon butties can be had in most pubs in KL for breakfast with your locally brewed Guinness in most pubs from about 11 am, or roast pork and a bottle of Tiger in the Chines can’t fee shops, if you are an early riser.

25 minutes ago, poanoi said:

if there are BiG C comparable to thailand,
then the only remaining question beside the ever present visa hassle is:
do they have go-go i can sit and get drunk in every day ?

To the best of my knowledge, no go-go bars, but others may know better.