Why Thailand if Malaysia is so much easier and nicer

Juntaa

You must believe in a different Islam to me if you believe it means no hookers in KL or Dubai.  Bacon butties can be had in most pubs in KL for breakfast with your locally brewed Guinness in most pubs from about 11 am, or roast pork and a bottle of Tiger in the Chines can’t fee shops, if you are an early riser.

Hotel Richmoore Pudu. Laws only apply to Muslims. Not foreigners.

Sent from my SM-J120G using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

4 minutes ago, Chrisdoc said:

Hotel Richmoore Pudu. Laws only apply to Muslims. Not foreigners.

Sent from my SM-J120G using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Beach Club, Thai Club, Rum Jungle Jalan P Ramlee.  Chang Kapt Bukit Bintang.  “Health clubs” in some hotels, apparently.

Mexico, and (some) other karaoke places.  It’s not a desert, and you needn’t go hungry, but it’s not Siu Cowboy

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, tonray said:

Everyone does NOT speak English. A significant % of the population cannot communicate in English (perhaps you only spent time in tourist streets in KL)

The MysecondHome retirement Visa is much more complex and has greater financial requirements than those of Thailand

Rents are about 25 to 40 % higher in most cities

KL is a nice place granted and has a sense of order that Thailand never seems to get but it is not easier for long term expats to stay there simply for financial requirements and using 90 day entries will not get you far as the government has strict policies about long term 'players' abusing the system.

Everyone who is significant and who I so far interacted with spoke English. Literally everyone apart from one employee from one of those 24-hour convenience stores (not 7-11) spoke fluent English. I had long conversations with shop owners, street food vendors, Grab taxi drivers, barbers. It is SUCH A PLEASURE I have to say to be able to talk to locals and be understood by them. Tell them what you exactly want and not like in Thailand speak to them like you speak to a wall. Of course, we are the ignorant ones as we should be learning their language and not the other way around as we are visiting their country. But who can blame us for not making an effort to learn a language so different to our mother tongue.

Oh did I mention Malays use the Latin alphabet? Another benefit.

I appreciate your input, especially if it comes from someone who lives or lived here, I am only a tourist. But going through various articles online I found KL to have cheaper rents than Bangkok. Here is just one source https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/city_price_rankings?itemId=100

Bangkok 4,319 USD per square metre, KL 3,273 USD per square metre.

Abusing Thailand's 30 day entries will not get your far either. At least in Malaysia you have triple leeway and who says you have to return to Malaysia same or next day. Stay somewhere for a few weeks (for instance Thailand) and then return back, which should not be as obvious to immigration.

Just now, Juntaa said:

Are you trying to say English proficiency in Malaysia is on the same level as in Thailand? We must have been to two different Malaysias then.

Sure, Central World being the countries biggest shopping mall. Today I had dinner at a street food vendor in Penang who served me a dish I never heard of. She explained it to me in detail and her husband, who joined later, came up to me asking me how I liked it. Never happened to me in Thailand. Afterwards I bought sweetcorn from another vendor, who told me "you should roll the corn in the plastic bag first, so the butter and salt covers the whole corn", literally in those words. I could go on and on, but I rather refrain.

Fantastic ! Send us a postcard from Malaysia when you are settled in (for 90days that is) and let us know how you are getting on.

1 minute ago, StreetCowboy said:

Cycling in KL city

IMG_0957.thumb.JPG.e1375a5acdea5df8f0a45b4a2d8cf03b.JPGI live about 15 km from the Twin Towers, and the below pic is about the same distance out again on the other side

5a6ca16095136_JalanAmpangRiver2.jpg.31e4ec0008f1a9a25c014e14971f25be.jpg

To be fair, I live on the wealthy side of KL, but taxi drivers, shop assistants cope in English, more or less.  Today I had a young fella driver whom I had to direct, and he could cope just fine.  Everyone except the Indonesian cleaners spoke good English at the hospital, and its slightly embarrassing when people speak Chinese (two dialects), Malay and English, and it is not clear which is their first language. 

I can;t think of any postcard pictures I took in Bangkok.

SC

I taught high school in KL and Ipoh....believe me English proficiency while better than Thailand is not anywhere near spoken fluency. Again...if you are on the wealthy side of town....

2 minutes ago, tonray said:

I taught high school in KL and Ipoh....believe me English proficiency while better than Thailand is not anywhere near spoken fluency. Again...if you are on the wealthy side of town....

In the pubs, Malaysians will often speak in English amongst themselves.  Now, admittedly, that group 

a) is generally not Malay, rather Malaysian-Indian or Chinese

B) wealthy enough to drink in pubs, not Chinese coffee shops or toddy shops 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StreetCowboy said:

In the pubs, Malaysians will often speak in English amongst themselves.  Now, admittedly, that group 

a) is generally not Malay, rather Malaysian-Indian or Chinese

B) wealthy enough to drink in pubs, not Chinese coffee shops or toddy shops 

Actually they speak Malayinglish......Ok, Lah ?

4 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

But... you didn't.

I think he was making the point that he had seen it, but did not deem it worth response.

It is hard to ignore stupidity, but I was taught to do so, in the hope that it went away.   Sadly, that was rarely successful at school, and much less so on the internet

SC

• Like 1

Another negative aspect of Malaysia is their penchant for Irish themed pubs. Paint them green and have Kilkenny on draft and they think they're on a winner.

Oh yes, and they haven't sussed out how to make a decent bread product of any sort.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

The Bhumiputra entitlement sh!ts all over the faux ethnic harmony that they like to bang on about.

Corruption and gerry-mandering is never helpful to the country, however it is done.  We would all like to live in a meritocracy (or at least we say, and probably believe that we would) but we don't. 

4 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

My business partner has been married, living and working in Malaysia (KL) for the best part of 40 years. The family home is magnificent 4-bedroom duplex condo. He and his wife would much prefer to have a house and garden but the crime rate, burglaries and break-ins precludes that. Security, good security needs to be bought and it isn't cheap. His wife is from Sabah and they would move back there at the drop of a hat.

The Bhumiputra entitlement sh!ts all over the faux ethnic harmony that they like to bang on about.

This is SO key !. I tell people that if you really want to survive in Malaysia then either you need to be wealthy or find a way to feel comfortable in the Chinese only neighborhoods. The Chinese Malaysians at least have a true business sense about them and aside from Chinese gangs extorting local businesses, they will not bother you one bit. The Malays don't want to integrate with you, and the Indian neighborhoods are not safe for most foreigners.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Another negative aspect of Malaysia is their penchant for Irish themed pubs. Paint them green and have Kilkenny on draft and they think they're on a winner.

Oh yes, and they haven't sussed out how to make a decent bread product of any sort.

Good bread is not easy to find, but not too difficult if you are willing to make an effort.

There are pubs other than Irish-themed, but the international brewers only offer on the one hand Guinness & Kilkenny, and on the other the abominable Connors Irish stout.  It's disappointing, but I'm not about to go teetotal or drink lager over it

SC  

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

"It's not despair that bothers me. Despair I can handle. It's the hope..."

re the footnote on Scottish football....

The sweet hope of anticipation without the bitter disappointment would be like eating half a gooseberry.

6 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

Good bread is not easy to find, but not too difficult if you are willing to make an effort.

There are pubs other than Irish-themed, but the international brewers only offer on the one hand Guinness & Kilkenny, and on the other the abominable Connors Irish stout.  It's disappointing, but I'm not about to go teetotal or drink lager over it

SC  

I feel your pain. Thailand took about 20 years to get some decent, non-tapioca flour based bread on the shelves. As you say, it can be had if you fossic around... same as we did in Thailand 20 years ago.

I'll take your word on Connor's being sh!te. Kilkenny is bad enough. Maybe they need to adopt that Guinness 'extra cold' or whatever it was in the blue-lit taps as being extra special. If you serve Archa 'super cold', it tastes better too... but only just.

Edited by NanLaew

47 minutes ago, tonray said:

Fantastic ! Send us a postcard from Malaysia when you are settled in (for 90days that is) and let us know how you are getting on.

I am leaving the country way before the 90 days. Not planing to return anytime soon. The point I was trying to make was, if someone had the choice between TH and MY, what are their respective benefits and why. Glad we discussed it.

Edited by Juntaa
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

I feel your pain. Thailand took about 20 years to get some decent, non-tapioca flour based bread on the shelves. As you say, it can be had if you fossic around... same as we did in Thailand 20 years ago.

I'll take your word on Connor's being sh!te. Kilkenny is bad enough. Maybe they need to adopt that Guinness 'extra cold' or whatever it was in the blue-lit taps as being extra special. If you serve Archa 'super cold', it tastes better too... but only just.

The Garden wholemeal is a decent pan loaf bread.  I can cope with the draught Guinness or Kilkenny in most places, and Tiger is ok, if you put ice in it when drinking outside.  Cider is not universally available on draught, which constrains our cycling end-points

Thailand is already expensive beerwise, but I refuse to pay 4 euros for a beer in 7-11. That's just taking the piss.

Also, in Malaysia I miss the sanook factor. In Thailand people always have something to joke about. I like that.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wump said:

Thailand is already expensive beerwise, but I refuse to pay 4 euros for a beer in 7-11. That's just taking the piss.

Also, in Malaysia I miss the sanook factor. In Thailand people always have something to joke about. I like that.

Yeah, exactly, the vibe is definitely different there. More serious. Nothing wrong with that difference. Personally a more serious country is probably a better fit for me but I can't qualify for their visa there, so never mind. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yeah, exactly, the vibe is definitely different there. More serious. Nothing wrong with that difference. Personally a more serious country is probably a better fit for me but I can't qualify for their visa there, so never mind. 

In both Malaysia and Mayanmar there is (according to many sources) open discrimination against gay people, supported by national laws. Same sex activities are unlawful - even in private.

In Thailand, although there are some restrictions for same sex partners (blood donation, military service, etc.) private activities are not outlawed. In fact the Gender Equality Act B.E. 2558 provides protection against discrimination. AFAIK, no such legislation exists in Malaysia or Mayanmar.

So, from your perspective, as a gay man - one that does not hide the fact - I would think you would have a better life here in Thailand.

• Like 2