Why Thailand if Malaysia is so much easier and nicer

Juntaa

5 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Philippines you can arrive and stay 3 years without leaving, no finance checks at all

Yes but without retirement visa or spouse visa you will not be able to get a driving licence as the application of the law is now strict 

1 hour ago, chickenslegs said:

In both Malaysia and Mayanmar there is (according to many sources) open discrimination against gay people, supported by national laws. Same sex activities are unlawful - even in private.

In Thailand, although there are some restrictions for same sex partners (blood donation, military service, etc.) private activities are not outlawed. In fact the Gender Equality Act B.E. 2558 provides protection against discrimination. AFAIK, no such legislation exists in Malaysia or Mayanmar.

So, from your perspective, as a gay man - one that does not hide the fact - I would think you would have a better life here in Thailand.

Based on my visits there, I think I could live there, especially KL. I wouldn't want to be a citizen there but that applies to Thailand as well. I'm more disturbed by the anti-semitism there than the homophobia but it's that weirder kind of anti-semitism where there aren't any Jews. Heck if I can live in the American south, which I have, I could live in Malaysia. 

http://www.tabletmag.com/jewish-news-and-politics/196642/anti-semitism-in-malaysia

"How Malaysia Became One of the Most Anti-Semitic Countries on Earth

As this bit of Malaysian current events trivia suggests, blaming Jews for all manner of machinations, crimes, and failures is a normal part of Malaysian politics, even though very few of the country’s citizens have ever laid eyes on a Jew."

Edited by Jingthing

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I'm more disturbed by the anti-semitism there than the homophobia but it's that weirder kind of anti-semitism where there aren't any Jews. Heck if I can live in the American south, which I have, I could live in Malaysia. 

There is very little real anti-Semitism in the American South. I grew up there and had plenty of Jewish friends. They might make make silly jokes and repeat stereotypes, but not much different from Irish or Italians. They were VERY bigoted against blacks back then, but that has changed a lot in the last 50 years too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cornishcarlos said:

Beer costs more in most places than the U.K...

Surprisingly cheap in the U.K these days..

Pubs are usually quite expensive for beer  in the UK , although it can be cheap to buy beer in supermarkets

• Like 1

1 hour ago, toughlove said:

Why even ask the question. It's clear you prefer Malaysia.
I find the woman far less attractive but you going to disagree of course.

Buddhist vs Islam. Not a difficult choice
Allahuuuuu akbarrrrrr!

Enjoy

I find men far more attractive in Malaysia. So we do (partially) disagree :D

This does not relate to you post, but the open discrimination against gay people has been highlighted by others, which I have not encountered so far. The very first day in fact the (all straight) people I was hanging out in KL suggested to go drinking in a gay bar, which we did. I think if you stick to major cities like KL and keep your profile low and do your own thing, you will be just fine.

I don’t think that homophobia will ever go away and can be encountered from places like the Netherlands and in Thailand. I never liked Silom anyway with its in your face attitude. And that is coming from a gay guy.

Edited by Juntaa

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

Pubs are usually quite expensive for beer  in the UK , although it can be cheap to buy beer in supermarkets

I found Britain to be one of the places with the lowest differential in price between pubs and supermarkets.

British pubs are very efficient at shovelling beer across the bar, eschewing unnecessary luxuries such as table service.

SC

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StreetCowboy said:

I found Britain to be one of the places with the lowest differential in price between pubs and supermarkets.

British pubs are very efficient at shovelling beer across the bar, eschewing unnecessary luxuries such as table service.

SC

The last time that I was in the UK , you could get 24 cans of large Stella from a supermarket for the same price as four pints in a pub

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Juntaa said:

I am leaving the country way before the 90 days. Not planing to return anytime soon. The point I was trying to make was, if someone had the choice between TH and MY, what are their respective benefits and why. Glad we discussed it.

But why TH or MY when PI (gay friendly) is a cheap flight away?

Edited by MaeJoMTB
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

Beer costs more in most places than the U.K...

Surprisingly cheap in the U.K these days..

5 quid in a UK pub ......... 200bht (which last year was 250bht)

Usually 70-80 bht/pint in a Thai bar (not a foreigner owned bar or hooker bar).

or 70 Pesos/pint in a Philippine bar (40bht) (not a hooker night club)

The beer I found in KL bars was around 10 quid/pint (400bht)

Pricing was for local cheap bulk sales beer/larger ....... it all tastes the same to me.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

3 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

5 quid in a pub ......... 200bht (which last year was 250bht)

Usually 70-80 bht in a Thai bar.

or 70 Pesos in a Philippine bar (40bht)

The beer I found in KL bars was around 10 quid (400bht)

Although that would be 5 quid for a draught pint in a UK pub , which is about the same price as it would be for a draught pint in Thailand .

A small bottle of beer in a UK pub would also be about the same price as a small bottle of beer in a Thai pub

13 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

5 quid in a UK pub ......... 200bht (which last year was 250bht)

Usually 70-80 bht/pint in a Thai bar (not a foreigner owned bar).

or 70 Pesos/pint in a Philippine bar (40bht)

The beer I found in KL bars was around 10 quid/pint (400bht)

Pricing was for local cheap bulk sales beer/larger ....... it all tastes the same to me.

In the expensive bars in my street a Guinness will set you back slightly less than 27 ringgit, which is GBP 4.93 by my reckoning. In the coffee shop Tiger is RM 18.   In Glasgow I was paying between 3 and 4 pounds a pint in the Summer this year.

200 Baht / pint upwards was the going rate for ales in the pubs in Sukhumvit Road, and in the karaoke places in Bangna beer was over 100 baht for a big bottle of Singha four years ago.

SC

I agree with others here that you've clearly made-up your mind and are just looking for others to reinforce.  Up to you.  I will say that you can love one country without having to bash on another.  You might have more credibility that way.

But the fact that you're gay...and comparing one of the most tolerant countries with respect to gays to one that's among the most intolerant?  Not talking specifically about Malaysia, but Islam is probably the most anti-gay religion out there, which is saying a lot. 

Regardless, you should go to Malaysia.  Good luck with that.
I watched a horrific video of ISIS throwing hog tied gays off a 5 story building and another where gays were throw in a pit and gasoline poured in.. Yes extreme but its still Islam . If I were gay and had a choice between thailand and Malaysia.. Well its pretty obvious
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Is there any food in Malaysia that has not been deep fried in stinking old oil twice first? Even the fruit gets deep fried before serving.

Malasia is a boring and more expensive backward old fashioned destination but i admit one thing they do offer better and more foreigner friendly visa solutions.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Rumor has it a POTY was trying to move there but were surprised when told they didn't have enough money. KUL are generous on the entry VISA of 90 days (I get that when I'm waiting 6 hrs for a through flight), but staying there LT is probably much harder.

Philippines you can arrive and stay 3 years without leaving, no finance checks at all.

If you're talking about me, Hubby and I were well aware of financial requirements of obtaining the 10-year MM2H retirement visa.  And yes, they are higher than the requirements for a Thai retirement visa, with more stringent enforcement.  This is appealing in that there are fewer retired expats living "on-the-edge" in Malaysia.   

After pulling together the necessary documents and organizing them into a notebook, Hubby applied in person in Kota Kinabalu for our MM2H visas, with a friend having made the appointment with the Imm. officer.  Hubby was treated with respect and the officer went through the notebook page-by-page, without all the nit-picking like they do here on size of photos, color of background, copies should be made landscape rather than portrait, etc.  So he received approval and next step was to open a bank account for the required deposit.

This is where we hit a bit of a wall.  None of the banks, even ones with international branches, wanted to open an account for an American, but once they found out we have bank accounts in Thailand, their tune changed.  No problem, we could simply route the money for deposit through our Thai bank account and not show U.S. origin.  Hmm.  Obviously, they didn't want to comply with U.S. requirements for reporting of bank accounts of U.S. citizens.  Consulted our U.S. credit union and they pointed out this was OK legally, as long as we submitted the annual required report to the U.S. gov't.  But, it is a stupid, expensive way to move money into Malaysia.

But, in the end this wasn't why we decided not to go.  A week before Hubby left for three weeks in Malaysia to apply for the 10-year visa and hang out with friends, we attended a seminar here in Chiang Mai conducted by a U.S. tax accountant based in Bangkok.  There, we learned about the Thai-U.S. tax treaty and how it has significant savings for people receiving private retirement income.  There is no similar treaty between the U.S. and Malaysia.  Also, one of our cats developed a very quickly-growing lump on his back that was removed when Hubby was in Malaysia.  Turned out to be cancer and Mr. Bitey's liver function has now been compromised.  He has to have a special diet, meds and return to the vet monthly for follow-up testing.  We all like the vet here (even Mr. Bitey does, up he's not too impressed the Uber rides) and didn't think it a good idea to interrupt his treatment with a move.  For right now his condition is stabilized and he's back to be his normal self, but these lumps tend to return on other parts of an animal's body and must be quickly removed.  Sometimes, sadly, they return in places that are inoperable.  And the third reason for staying is that I developed a "silent" UTI during the time of Mr. Bitey's illness when Hubby was in Malaysia.  Actually, it probably wasn't "silent", but rather I ignored it because so much else was going on.  In any event, it spread into a full-blown infection that became blood sepsis and I was admitted to Bangkok Hospital for five days with a very high fever.  They did a fantastic job of treating it and we had great circle of friends who came to our condo to take care of Mr. Bitey's sister (Mr. Bitey was in the animal hospital at the time) while I was in hospital and Hubby was in Malaysia.  Made us realize how lucky we are to have a great hospital and good friends here.  

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, NancyL said:

I developed a "silent" UTI during the time of Mr. Bitey's illness when Hubby was in Malaysia.  Actually, it probably wasn't "silent", but rather I ignored it because so much else was going on.  In any event, it spread into a full-blown infection that became blood sepsis and I was admitted to Bangkok Hospital for five days with a very high fever. 

Poor you, hope you are recovered/recovering .... and sympathies for Mr. Bitey.