Why Thailand if Malaysia is so much easier and nicer

Juntaa

12 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Another negative aspect of Malaysia is their penchant for Irish themed pubs. Paint them green and have Kilkenny on draft and they think they're on a winner.

Oh yes, and they haven't sussed out how to make a decent bread product of any sort.

What about Roti Canai?  This is a flatbread, so technically falls into your "of any sort" category.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roti_canai

Malaysia has a far better infrastructure then Thailand. No such stupid regulations as in Thailand, like smoking forbitten on the beach, stupid visa regulations  like re-entry permit, etc. The only disadvantage is the high price of beer, but Thailand is quickly following in this way. Another alternative is Vietnam, good infrastructure, easy to travel, much cheaper then Thailand and Malaysia, beer costs nearly nothing. 

I’ve just come back from a week in Penang. The food is great, easy with the no visas, and the people very friendly and who actually talk to you and not carry a conversation, I like that. The only thing  I found more expensive was the wine . Beer around 90 baht a bottle and often bars offer two for one at happy hours that last a long time. Lots of other nice places in Malaysia and the foreigners  I know who live there love it. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

So there we have it.  The main reason expressed why people preferred Thailand was their own prejudice against Muslim-run countries.  Alcohol is more expensive, and there are no ‘go-go’ bars.  Some people believe pork and hookers are hard to find, but I can assure you their faith would be sorely tested in KL.

Well, that is KL. I found pork and alcohol in Saudi Arabia in the 70s and 80s; so yes, I know it can be found.  What if you want to live out in the countryside and just run down to your local store for a cold beer or a pack of bacon? And, even though I am not in any way religious; religious reasons are as good as any. You are as bigoted as you are implying those who use Islam as their reason are.

• Like 1

in  KL people actually stop a red lights, better food, English, great symphony and cheaper prices on name brand attire.  hi-end super markets. i am  into hi-end audio and the prices on Naim, Rega, Harberth best of the British brands are better in KL, Thai hi-end audio dealers can be a little surly and  can not compete with their KL counterparts. everything is in stock, no loss of face B.S. if you find a better deal. the customer is king unlike LOS. classier experience.  higher level of education. wonderful infrastructure.  but..  hot and muggy compared to CM.  best for a weekend  shopping jaunt. 

Edited by malibukid

In my experience houses (in Penang) are more expensive than in Thailand, but no-one mentioned the MM2H scheme with 10 year visa, renewable. I also think that religion plays a part. Thailand is definitely more laid back than Malaysia.

19 hours ago, Juntaa said:

Sad. I will ignore this comment.

You shouldn't because Islam is a dominant force in Malaysia and if one is a Malaysian of one of the following faiths; Hindu (Indians), Buddhist or Christian (Chinese) one suffers state sanctioned discrimination, ignoring how they treat Jews and Bahais.

17 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Not sure why you would ignore that comment.

Islam means no hookers, high alcohol prices and no pork.

Beer in KL costs more than in the UK.

I could live without the hookers, but I insist on bacon for breakfast and a beer with dinner.(not that keen on lamb or goat)

Forgoing pork and especially high  saturated fat/high sodium bacon isn't a bad thing. Unfortunately, the substitute chicken sausages are no better. Ok, so alcohol can be expensive. If one isn't an alcoholic it is no biggie. I am also shocked by wine prices in Thailand.  I expect Europeans and Americans must have conniptions when they see 1500 baht for a bottle of plonk. The hookers are everywhere, and many are those transvestite people. 

33 minutes ago, meinphuket said:

And for a Muslim dominated country, no imbecile alcohol sales hours !

Depends on the particular state like Kelantan.  As of July 2017 Sharia law  with canings for lawbreakers is in force.

1 minute ago, geriatrickid said:

You shouldn't because Islam is a dominant force in Malaysia and if one is a Malaysian of one of the following faiths; Hindu (Indians), Buddhist or Christian (Chinese) one suffers state sanctioned discrimination, ignoring how they treat Jews and Bahais.

Forgoing pork and especially high  saturated fat/high sodium bacon isn't a bad thing. Unfortunately, the substitute chicken sausages are no better. Ok, so alcohol can be expensive. If one isn't an alcoholic it is no biggie. I am also shocked by wine prices in Thailand.  I expect Europeans and Americans must have conniptions when they see 1500 baht for a bottle of plonk. The hookers are everywhere, and many are those transvestite people. 

Depends on the particular state like Kelantan.  As of July 2017 Sharia law  with canings for lawbreakers is in force.

Shariah law only applies to Muslims.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, HampiK said:

The Muslim country is a problem, as for example in KL you will sometimes wake up 4 clock morning because of the praying.

I am surprised, that you not mention this behavior as this was the main problem for me in this country!

It's in my neighborhood in BKK near Rachatewi. You get used to it easily and my a/c is on most mornings anyways and can hardly hear it. 

19 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

I worked a couple of year in different parts of Malaysia and never felt truly welcome. There is this underlying segregation between the Malay, Chinese-Malay and Indian-Malay everywhere you go.

Thailand feel more like home to me. 

I agree 100% with your post - I felt the same way working in different parts of Malaysia.

It helped me to understand why I will never want to live there.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Not sure why you would ignore that comment.

Islam means no hookers, high alcohol prices and no pork.

Beer in KL costs more than in the UK.

I could live without the hookers, but I insist on bacon for breakfast and a beer with dinner.

(not that keen on lamb or goat)

Complete non-sense.

Pork is readily available. Most supermarkets have a non-halal section.

The place is crawling with hookers if that is a priority in your life.

Decent imported beer (draft and bottles) can be found cheaper than in Thailand and about the same a back home. On Langkawi imported alcohol is amazingly cheap as it is a duty-free zone.

17 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

Shariah law only applies to Muslims.

I suggest you check out what has been going in Kelantan and Terengganu. 

The old assumption that converts and non practicing muslims were exempt, no longer holds. One cannot opt out of being a muslim. marry a muslim and  if it is a civil matter, Islamic laws can be applied at the behest of the implicated muslim. If you were the Hindu or  Chinese Christian  you must defer. If you are a muslim who found jesus, it won't work because you are muslim no matter what.

• Like 2