Why Thailand if Malaysia is so much easier and nicer

Juntaa

Please can someone explain to me why anyone would chose to live or spend their holiday in Thailand compared to Malaysia? I am currently traveling through SE Asia and spent enough time in both countries to be able to compare the pros and cons of living and holidaying in both of them.

Malaysia

.) 90 days visa free stay. Visa run to neighbouring countries possible with another 90 days extension thereafter
.) No ATM fees
.) EVERYONE speaks English (for me personally the greatest of all benefits)
.) Food, beverages, literally everything has English description
.) Same prices for locals and foreigners, no "farang prices"
.) Same food portions for locals and foreigners, no "farang portions"
.) Food in general is DELICIOUS and comes in all variations (Malaysian, Indian, Chinese, Indonesian). Admittedly the only meal I do miss here is Mango sticky rice
.) People seem more genuine, friendly and willing to help foreigners, answer questions. Willing to interact with foreigners (I guess due to being able to communicate in English)
.) Sandy beaches are less frequent than in Thailand but still easy to reach, see Langkawi or other islands
.) Shopping malls, cinemas, supermarkets etc are as shiny and humongous as in Thailand
.) Price level comparable to Thailand or cheaper. Although Malaysia's GDP per capita stands at 9,502 USD, compared to Thailand's 5,907 USD - this source here says Bangkok is overall 21% more expensive than Kuala Lumpur https://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-living/comparison/kuala-lumpur/bangkok

I am not going to list the benefits of Thailand as I can't think of any right now except the promiscuity of Thai ladies and perhaps being able to drink alcohol in public places. Also I'd like the Thaivisa community to give some input which country in their opinion wins the race and why.
If anyone is wondering why I started this topic: pure curiosity!

Be careful of making that assumption. Until one has lived somewhere, the aphorism “The grass is always greener on the other side tends to apply.” As a casual observer visiting any country for the first time, one tends to see the positives first, and then after actually living there some of the negatives reveal themselves.

Regarding beach quality, I do not believe that Langkawi compares to any of Thailand’s nicest beach destinations on either the Gulf or Andaman side. That’s obviously just my opinion, but there’s no way I would ever spend my time and money in Langkawi instead of in Phuket or Krabi, to name just two of many places.

Furthermore, I think that Thailand is extremely hospitable to foreigners, provided that those foreigners are not working illegally and that they show some respect for Thai culture. The latter goes a long way, and if Thai people feel respected, they definitely appreciate that. So, what goes around comes around here in Thailand, as it should in any other country.

If you find yourself asking this question, maybe it’s time to consider relocating to Malaysia? If nothing here in Thailand is a compelling reason to stay, then you know where the airports are. Otherwise, show some appreciation for the country that is hospitable to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

According to recent surveys apparently it is more democratic than Singapore

That's an incredibly low bar IMHO. Singapore is the acceptable, smiling, happy face of the fascist police state. Malaysia needs to hire Saatchi & Saatchi as well.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

Anecdotally, racial harmony was much better 15 - 25 years ago, although that was before my time.

It has been alleged that the Prime Minister was paid to arabise Malaysia.

It's worth bearing in mind that there were dozens or hundreds killed in race riots in the USA in the late sixties as well, but I still don't mind going there.

SC

According to this vid Chinese are banned from speaking Chinese but some will still speak it in small villages that are not as strict

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 3:13 PM, Juntaa said:

except the promiscuity of Thai ladies

Depends on what you want. I spent a day on Penang and left days early as it's as revoltingly destroyed by tourism as anywhere I ever saw.

I gather you aren't interested in ladies, but by all means enjoy the sanuk devoid country if you prefer being bored and ripped off. 

7 hours ago, NanLaew said:

When I was working in KL, the weekends were for escaping to Samui and Phuket. Thanks to Qatar's fledgling service and Bangkok Airways off-peak flights, I could bail from the office late on a Friday afternoon and be 'on the beach' before midnight. The return was a Monday morning red-eye that got my knees back under the office desk by 9 AM. I was told that Langkawi was 'dead' by the long-time KL staffers so never checked it out but hearing it is a duty-free port like Labuan, I will put it on the bucket list.

That is simply the most eloquent way of saying "if you don't like it, you can leave" and "don't let the door bang your ass on the way out" ever wrote on these hallowed pages. Excellent!!

Could anyone just pop up any more given the refusal of multiple visa exempt visits now?

I haven't yet been to Langkawi, and still considering, given the complete lack of any public transport option, other than taxis, but I doubt I'd find anything resembling a Thai beach scene.

There were many tourists from certain countries on Penang's beaches enjoying annoying other people with jet skis, but the fun didn't extend to their women, still garbed in their penguin suits. I suppose even Penang's beaches are more fun than those in their own place of residence. I did once visit a couple of nice beaches near Jeddah, but the first was devoid of people, and the other was banned to Saudis.

As for the OP, the only question I have is why is he posing the question when he has already, apparently, made up his mind.

7 hours ago, NanLaew said:

That's an incredibly low bar IMHO. Singapore is the acceptable, smiling, happy face of the fascist police state. Malaysia needs to hire Saatchi & Saatchi as well.

I loved living in Singapore. No crime, no strikes, no problems. Cheap as dirt and loadsafun. Malaya was for scuba diving on weekends, and party hotels in J B.

Mind you, that was back when Bugis St was still a party place, and not just another sterile hole to eat stuff.

21 hours ago, tifino said:

The only time 'tension' came into play living as an ozzie in Malaysia, were those Months that followed the then PM Paul Keating, when he labelled Dr M a recalcitrant! Locals were really so worried us RAAFies were going to all be shipped out of Butterworth; and so, the prices all went up... 

Ah Butterworth. I had a great time there when we were sent up to do guard duty, many years before Keating was PM.

The ferry was just a short bus ride away and I spent many an evening watching Kung <deleted> movies in an open air cinema somewhere. Used to get the same trishaw driver every time as he knew the way.

Penang was a great place back then and I stayed a few times in the military guest house on a beach ( don't remember which one ), which is long gone. Beaches were still lovely, unlike now, all overbuilt with huge hotels. Even the hill tram was a great experience. Last time I visited, the new one is a rip off for foreigners, but cheap for locals, so I didn't go up. Probably just as well as looks like a tourist trap at the top now.

Even just travelling around Malaya was great back then. They had government guest houses on the beaches that were cheap to stay at.

I went up to Mersing with the scuba club and we went out on fishing boats to the islands to dive.

Happy days indeed.

22 hours ago, William T said:

Any massage shops with extras?

In Thailand there are many good massage parlors as in Kiev, Ukraine. I like exotic massage. Once I had a really great experience dring my Europe vacation. I'm open minded person so I decided to make a relaxed weekend. I found one service that provides a professional massage. I decided to try erotic massage and my friend had tantra massage. I felt so relaxed and free after it.

3 minutes ago, MuntyC0re said:

In Thailand there are many good massage parlors as in Kiev, Ukraine. I like exotic massage. Once I had a really great experience dring my Europe vacation. I'm open minded person so I decided to make a relaxed weekend. I found one service that provides a professional massage. I decided to try erotic massage and my friend had tantra massage. I felt so relaxed and free after it.

Think he was asking about Malaysia, not Thailand.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MuntyC0re said:

What happens in an exotic massage ?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

"

In the inaugural World Electoral Freedom Index (WEFI) released last week, Malaysia scored 61.95 out of 100 points and was ranked 125 worldwide, behind several other countries like Bangladesh (107), Libya (106) and the Philippines (41).

In South-east Asia, Malaysia performed better than Singapore, which was ranked at 173rd place with 54.21 points.

Thailand placed third-last with 13.84 points and Brunei bottomed out among Asean members with 4.52 points."

Read more at http://www.themalaymailonline.com/malaysia/article/malaysia-ranks-125-in-world-electoral-freedom-index-better-than-singapore#33O8fhd7Q8WMzksE.99 

Here's another ranking with similar results

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democracy_Index#Democracy_Index_by_country_(2016)

If democracy's your bag then I would recommend the Philippines - a higher ranking in the democracy indices, much cheaper beer and rank with hookers - what is there not to like, apart from the food, the typhoons, poor infrastructure and risk of crime?

SC

I too recommend PI over Malaysia, but word of warning, don't fall in love, foreigners are dying over there at a rate comparable to Thailand and Cambodia combined.........I have lost five American friends over past six years or so - successful businessmen, life is cheap in the Phillipines, and the police are heads above the Thais when it comes to corruption and scams.  I know a lot of US folks married Pinay's, and will pbly roast me over this - but this is my observation as I knew them all personally.   You start getting successful, your life expectancy goes down considerably.  Be forewarned.

On 1/27/2018 at 5:22 PM, theguyfromanotherforum said:

I doubt you can live on 90 day extensions forever, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Not more than once or twice. You cannot rely on a 3rd 90 day entry. It is one of the subjects to which you cannot get a  reliable answer. Longterm stay based on border runs was possible prior to MmH2. No more. 

It is way easier to get a longterm visa for Thailand than for Malaysia. 

23 hours ago, Air Smiles said:

I'm pretty sure more farang have died in major western countries at the hands of radical Islam than in Malaysia.

Not going to a country simply because the dominant religion is Islam is simply Islamaphobia.

Yes, I can confirm that. I like Malaysia and even more Indonesia. No such stupid laws like in Thailand, e.g. forbitten smoking on the beach, no beer between 2-5 pm, stupid immigration laws, etc. And better food too.

On 1/28/2018 at 10:50 AM, Destiny1990 said:

Is there any food in Malaysia that has not been deep fried in stinking old oil twice first? Even the fruit gets deep fried before serving.

Malasia is a boring and more expensive backward old fashioned destination but i admit one thing they do offer better and more foreigner friendly visa solutions.

Yes,   first

And Malaysia is  not boring.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Ever lived in a real Muslim country like Saudi?

Makes a difference.

Malaysia is by no means a "Muslim" country in comparison.

I never stayed in Indonesia to compare.

I've never been to Saudi Arabia, but despite being Muslim, it sounds like an unpleasant place to live or visit.  

I think that theocratic dictatorships generally are tough going, unless the particular religion aligns with your own standards and behaviour.

So given the choice between Saudi Arabia or the Vatican City, I would probably prefer the latter.

On the other hand, amongst the nearly-democratic kingdoms of South-East Asia, I like Malaysia.  It has well developed infrastructure, its relatively cheap - other than for beer, although even that is not outrageous - and one point I had forgotten to mention previously - I think the jungles are more attractive than the bush in Thailand.

SC

On 1/28/2018 at 6:19 PM, StreetCowboy said:

Anecdotally, racial harmony was much better 15 - 25 years ago, although that was before my time.

It has been alleged that the Prime Minister was paid to arabise Malaysia.

It's worth bearing in mind that there were dozens or hundreds killed in race riots in the USA in the late sixties as well, but I still don't mind going there.

SC

Yeah, but in the US in between the rioting, chaos and doom you can get a beer and bacon

Interesting article crushing a few stereotypes:

The gay scene in Kuala Lumpur has a number of bars and restaurants that cater for the ‘pink segment’. The most famous of these is the raunchy Blue Boy bar which has a special drag show every night. There are also a large number of restaurants that are ‘gay and lesbian friendly’ and gay massage parlors.

https://asiancorrespondent.com/2015/07/kuala-lumpur-prostitution-malaysia/

1 minute ago, Soneva said:

Malaysia is most certainly a Muslim majority country. And Indonesia has the largest Muslim population IN THE WORLD.
Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

His exact words were "Malaysia is by no means a 'Muslim' country in comparison" [to Saudi Arabia].  He didn't deny that the majority of people in Malaysia are Muslim.  

I think his point was that (unlike some other countries) Malaysia does not force a quaintly archaic and puritanical view of Islam on people of other religions or no religion - for example, you can drink beer and eat pork throughout the afternoon at streetside cafes and bars, including during the Holy Month of Ramadan, and religious holidays.  Although some building management (possibly including Government buildings) may enforce some sort of dress code, ladies wearing hot pants or mini skirts are not breaking the law.

SC

On 2018-01-27 at 6:33 PM, MaeJoMTB said:

Not sure why you would ignore that comment.

Islam means no hookers, high alcohol prices and no pork.

Beer in KL costs more than in the UK.

I could live without the hookers, but I insist on bacon for breakfast and a beer with dinner.

(not that keen on lamb or goat)

No problem to buy whatever you want.

13 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

I've never been to Saudi Arabia, but despite being Muslim, it sounds like an unpleasant place to live or visit.  

I think that theocratic dictatorships generally are tough going, unless the particular religion aligns with your own standards and behaviour.

So given the choice between Saudi Arabia or the Vatican City, I would probably prefer the latter.

On the other hand, amongst the nearly-democratic kingdoms of South-East Asia, I like Malaysia.  It has well developed infrastructure, its relatively cheap - other than for beer, although even that is not outrageous - and one point I had forgotten to mention previously - I think the jungles are more attractive than the bush in Thailand.

SC

I lived there several years, and even the Saudis hated the mutawa ( religious police ) that did as they liked. The royals ( who enjoyed a western lifestyle with all that entails ) were terrified that they would be overthrown by the religious extremists and paid them off. Even in the hospital the staff were segregated in the accommodations, dining areas, and swimming pool ( but not in the wards- bit strange that ).

However, one could have a pretty good life, going on holiday outside the country thanks to the extremely good wages they have to pay to get infidels to go work there. I used to go out of country 4 or 5 times a year.

I did many trips inside the country with the social club, and outside Riyadh, the people were more friendly. Some amazing places to see, too.

Unfortunately, living outside Riyadh was akin to a slow death by terminal boredom. That desert gets old rather quickly.

Jeddah was the best location, as a much less authoritarian lifestyle, but I couldn't get a job there- too popular.

I did like the money, but in the end, I had to leave the place to keep my sanity ( what was left of it ).

Compared to Saudi, Malaysia would be paradise, but between the two, for me it's LOS everytime.

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 9:38 PM, HampiK said:

The Muslim country is a problem, as for example in KL you will sometimes wake up 4 clock morning because of the praying.

I am surprised, that you not mention this behavior as this was the main problem for me in this country!

I live in Phra Khanong, Bangkok and hear the same thing every day, one mosque to the south of me, one to the north.....after a while you just tune it out....except during freaking Muslim holidays when it blares all day long.

Having spent almost 6 years in Saudi Arabia as a teenager/ young adult, circa 1977-1983, found it to be a great place in my formative years.

There was no shortage of Pork (US Army commissary privilege through extension).

Neither was alcohol ever in short supply.

Other recreational chemicals were also readily available if one was inclined.

The ex-pat community of the day were a resourceful and friendly contingent who looked after each other's back in what others might perceive as "hostile territory".

The springboard from Saudi Arabia to meeting a pretty "girlfriend" to spend some R&R time with for a twice annual 3 week holiday had to be destination Thailand.

Bringing the thread back to topic.

It is more recently that I have come into contact with Malaysia 3.5 decades later.

I find it to be a little confusing Oriental expectation-wise but admit do enjoy staying there.

Street Food is crap.

Xmas decorations of shopping malls would put most Western venues to shame.

Driverless trains on the urban network.

Free of charge inner city bus routes.

Quality hotel accommodation cheaper than Thailand.

My experience is based solely on Kuala Lumpur.

Kind of a hard act to follow when Northern neighbour is Thailand, and Southern neighbour is Singapore, or yet again perhaps a good base between.

Edited by Paul Catton
Two word addendum