Koh Samed - Avoid

Rman

Just returned to Phuket from the "National Park". Avoid the island at all costs. The midnight curfew is still in effect. All major bars are closed on Silver Sand Beach and where replaced by new, overpriced beach restaurants (98% Chines customers!) The small Disco at the beach is closed. All bars at Vongduern beach are closed as well, only overpriced beach restaurants there (closing time 11.00 pm or earlier).

No fun, no party at all. 98% Chinese customers everywhere. Entering the "National Park" costs you 200  BHT per person and I can assure you the "cashiers" in army dresses are informed of new arriving guests either by the boat captains or the Songthaew drivers. They stop every "taxi" and force you to pay 200 BHT entrance fee. On the beaches they follow you until you pay the "entrance fee". Really annoying. I went there for having fun and booked a couple of days at good beachfront hotels at Silversand Beach and Vongduern Beach and now I can't wait flying back home to Patong Beach.

Absolutely boring Island and a tourist trap for Chinese travelers. (e.g. 500 BHT for a mini pizza).

Welcome to crook island. Don't go there.

Horses for courses.

My family often stays at a resort very close to Silver Sands. We almost stopped going there because of the late night noise but, fortunately, the "disco" has now closed.

Samet is a small island, but plenty of variety of resorts. We choose quiet places with a family atmosphere. Others can choose a more lively spot.

"Boring" - Well, I have to admit that I enjoy a few days of relaxation, building sand castles with the grandkids, reading a book, doing a crossword, getting a massage, sipping a few cocktails, watching the world go by.

disagree ....  we went there a couple of weeks back, there was 8 of us ...  myself and seven thais.  We didn't pay 200 bht per person to enter the national park.  We first stayed at Tub tim and then moved to Malibu resort ... no problems, yes many tourist, many thais ...  the disco was open and it was fun. The restaurants were open and serving, prices were the same as before ... some things are expensive, some things are not ....  accommodation is cheaper than Phuket thats for sure.  OP needs to go again .....    sounds like you just don't like the place anyway so maybe stay in Phuket.

You can pay high prices for food or lower prices, depends on what you want to eat.

We love Koh Samed ... always a good time there and good swimming at the beach.

I enjoyed it for 2 nights max.

Anyone who hates Chinese may want to reconsider most of Thailand now.

They are coming now and will be coming much much more so in the future.

The OP did mention one of the few places that there are some but seem to have not as many: Phuket.

Perhaps the Op doesn't appreciate that a national park isn't intended to be a "party" destination? Thailand's national parks are intended for the preservation of green space and natural wildlife.  If the OP wanted to party, he should have stuck to the Patong/Karon/Kata strip.

Such silliness. Complaining about a reduction in idiot illegal activity. Illegal because those bars and parties were never supposed to be allowed.

visited in the early 1990s and i admit i was more impressionable then but i can remember describing the place truly as a paradise; a few basic bungalows made from wood on a pristine beach and a few small beach restaurants. an incredibly quiet, calm, clean and beautiful place.

i was back there 5 years ago, i understand that times change and places develop and i'm sure that what has replaced the paradise i remembered does something for some people but for me the place has been destroyed. a paradise lost indeed.

15 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

One of the silliest comments I have heard.

Comparing one of the biggest cities in Asia with a small island?

So what's so wrong about that, then? At least it's based on personal experience of the 2!

Do you get some thrill from posting derisory comments on here? 

Samed is usually worth bypassing to go another 2 hours drive to Ko Chang. More value for money, and better service, although still full of the package tourist classes from China. I think any nostalgic "Paradise Lost" references to either of these 2 islands belongs well into the last Century, though.

3 hours ago, huangnon said:

Samed is usually worth bypassing to go another 2 hours drive to Ko Chang. More value for money, and better service, although still full of the package tourist classes from China. I think any nostalgic "Paradise Lost" references to either of these 2 islands belongs well into the last Century, though.

Didnt see any Chinese on Chang 5 years ago. 

Archived