SURVEY: Do you want Trump to finish his first term?

Scott

SURVEY: Do you WANT Trump to finish his first term?  

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

7 minutes ago, heybruce said:

I'm not sure what benefits you are referring to.

In the modern world, trade is limited more by discriminatory rules than by tariffs and quotas.  A trade deal in which companies would have had to negotiate countless legal systems to settle disputes would have been no trade deal at all.  Relying on tribunals organized by international institutions was a necessary compromise; no country could have sold the agreement to its citizens if it subjugated its companies to the court system of a competing company's country.

Trade deals are complicated, difficult, and require compromise.  The only thing that makes them worthwhile is that the alternative is worse.  The alternative to the TPP was to abandon the future of trading around the Pacific to China.  That is the alternative Trump chose.

Ironic, isn't it?  The great deal-maker has, to date, been nothing more than a great deal-breaker.

If you voted for judges and legislators and initiatives and propositions to create a certain kind of environment in which you choose to live and then some foreign corporation overrules that through offshore tribunals you never voted for isn't that a de facto undermining of democracy and sovereignty?

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

I didn't say that. What I said is that economic considerations will "trump" anything Trump says or wishes. Economic considerations point away from coal production to gas, hydro, wind and more and more solar.

I wish it were that easy.  Trump just imposed new tariffs on Solar panels....

[Only a few days earlier, Trump’s Administration announced that the President had decided to impose a 30% tariff on imported solar cells and modules (for the full run down, head on over). The imposition of new tariffs will not only threaten 23,000 jobs in 2018 alone but will reduce US solar installations by 11% over the next 5 years, amounting to a loss of around 7.6 GW (gigawatts).]

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/01/29/trumps-america-first-message-davos-flies-face-solar-tariffs/

His claim that it will protect solar manufacturing jobs in America flies in the face of reality.  At minimum, it will increase the price of solar electricity...which will make coal more competitive.  So yes, his policy does have an impact.

4 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

If you voted for judges and legislators and initiatives and propositions to create a certain kind of environment in which you choose to live and then some foreign corporation overrules that through offshore tribunals you never voted for isn't that a de facto undermining of democracy?

Yes.  But these are people who choose to do business outside the environment of their local democracy.  If they want to do that, they must play by agreed upon rules of the larger world.  I prefer these rules be ones negotiated by the US and other partners, not rules imposed by China.

2 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

I wish it were that easy.  Trump just imposed new tariffs on Solar panels....

[Only a few days earlier, Trump’s Administration announced that the President had decided to impose a 30% tariff on imported solar cells and modules (for the full run down, head on over). The imposition of new tariffs will not only threaten 23,000 jobs in 2018 alone but will reduce US solar installations by 11% over the next 5 years, amounting to a loss of around 7.6 GW (gigawatts).]

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/01/29/trumps-america-first-message-davos-flies-face-solar-tariffs/

His claim that it will protect solar manufacturing jobs in America flies in the face of reality.  At minimum, it will increase the price of solar electricity...which will make coal more competitive.  So yes, his policy does have an impact.

You should do some research on Chinese solar panels. Most of the producers are heavy polluters and a case has been made that those panels (when all environmental impacts are factored in) will not reduce emissions over fossil fuels in their working lifetime. Some are pretty good. Most are not.

On 1/29/2018 at 6:13 AM, Jingthing said:

Impeachment-worthy storm clouds (not to mention Stormy Daniels clouds) gathering over the trump very white house --

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/right-turn/wp/2018/01/28/if-trumps-own-advisers-think-he-has-obstructed-justice-how-could-republicans-decide-otherwise/

In case ya missed it:

10 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

You should do some research on Chinese solar panels. Most of the producers are heavy polluters and a case has been made that those panels (when all environmental impacts are factored in) will not reduce emissions over fossil fuels in their working lifetime. Some are pretty good. Most are not.

Geez man, Trump doesn't care about that stuff.  But China is not the biggest source of solar panels in America...

image.png.ae5ab19fe52bd4b8744642acd3e211fd.png

8 minutes ago, tubby johnson said:

"Hahaha! He'll never become president. His voters are such pathetic losers, no chance," everyone sneered in 2016.

Then Trump won.

"Hahaha! if he isn't in jail by then, he won't win in 2020!" ...... He's going to get re-elected.

Wow!  Such an insightful, in-depth analysis.

By the way, how's that swamp draining going?  Has Trump got Wall Street bankers and big money lobbyists out government yet?

1 hour ago, selftaopath said:

Trump habitually flashes these.

Is that factual, Trump flashes White Power hand symbols? Is your comment a wind up as I find that really challenging to believe. I am surprised that MSM has not picked up on Miller's alleged gesture, should be immediately fired if true.

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Nobody said it was an "important" survey. It's a non-scientific one on a discussion forum. Take it or leave it. 

Just to fill pages.....and as intelligent as to ask if you expect there will be rain tomorrow somewhere.....

13 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

Just to fill pages.....and as intelligent as to ask if you expect there will be rain tomorrow somewhere.....

Your suggestion is definitely more stupid. Dude, if the existence of this topic bothers you so much, why are you bothering to post here? To heckle people? Sounds like it. Why not just ignore the topic? Would that be so difficult for you? 

2 hours ago, simple1 said:

Is that factual, Trump flashes White Power hand symbols? Is your comment a wind up as I find that really challenging to believe. I am surprised that MSM has not picked up on Miller's alleged gesture, should be immediately fired if true.

As someone from outside the ranks of the Perpetually Outraged, I'm not up to speed on what this alleged white power gesture is.

Is it the bit where he's adjusting his tie, or to do with the spidery spread of the fingers? The subtle handkerchief in the breast pocket? Or is it something to do with his ears?

14 minutes ago, RickBradford said:

As someone from outside the ranks of the Perpetually Outraged, I'm not up to speed on what this alleged white power gesture is.

Is it the bit where he's adjusting his tie, or to do with the spidery spread of the fingers? The subtle handkerchief in the breast pocket? Or is it something to do with his ears?

You could always read the thread, but I'm happy to oblige:

On 1/29/2018 at 4:49 AM, Skywalker69 said:

Allor-TW.jpg

10 minutes ago, RickBradford said:

That's it? That's the entire case, that he was photographed adjusting his tie and jacket? That's sillier than a Thai soap opera.

No wonder Western civilisation is in trouble.

I really don't know anything about this as it has always seemed a bit weird to me, and I have avoided that particular rabbit hole.  Apparently this same sort of gesture has been observed numerous times from different alt-right players.

7 hours ago, tubby johnson said:

"Hahaha! He'll never become president. His voters are such pathetic losers, no chance," everyone sneered in 2016. Then Trump won.

"Hahaha! if he isn't in jail by then, he won't win in 2020!" ...... He's going to get re-elected.

You're somewhat right - about me, anyway. I didn't think Trump would win.  I lost $100 on a bet with a right-winger friend of mine - on that issue. 

I could be wrong again, come November - if Democrats don't gain significant #'s of seats in both houses.  I chalk it up to me underestimating how many US voters are easily-duped by a snake oil salesman and/or how many right wingers enjoy the debilitation of the USA (whether wittingly or unwittingly).

8 hours ago, Berkshire said:

Geez man, Trump doesn't care about that stuff.  But China is not the biggest source of solar panels in America...

image.png.ae5ab19fe52bd4b8744642acd3e211fd.png

So, you're saying it's really about him, meaning it's really about you. Check out the sky and or bodies of water next time you are in China and/or Malaysia.

44 minutes ago, chippendale said:

Dow Jones 26,000: America is Great again.

Trump is a Boss! Re-elected in 2020

The truth about the Trump economy, explained

A massive change in perceptions masks continuity with the Obama years. The big change hasn’t been in the economy but in people’s hearts — Republican Party loyalists, in particular, weren’t ready to admit the economy had recovered until they had a co-partisan in the White House. "

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/1/30/16945146/trump-economic-record

Donald Trump is pictured. | AP Photo

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

The question is about his first term. Not endless gloat threats about a second or third term. He has to make it through his first term first. Focus!

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

A third term?!? (orgasms spontaneously)

And you're asking me to focus??!! I'm tickled pink. A third term!

(victory dance) The wins keep adding up for God Emperor Trump.

5 hours ago, Luckysilk said:

I am pleased to see the number of votes - I assumed with the idiotic insults hurled by the left most decent Americans would avoid such polls.

President Trump 2020

A few of the insults hurled by me:

Trump threatening to undo the Iran deal, against the advice of all the adults in the White House, could trigger an arms race in the Middle East.

Trump has put our military supply lines to Afghanistan at risk by cutting aid to Pakistan.

Trump surrendered US leadership in the Asia-Pacific by backing out of the TPP, letting China set the rules for trade in the region and leaving the US in a much weaker position.

Republicans have passed deficit exploding tax cuts, again.

The 29% rise in the value of the US dollar under Obama, and the 9% fall in Trump's first year, shows global confidence in the US economy was strong under Obama and took a significant fall as soon as Trump became President.

Yeah, I see your point.  The facts are insulting.

45 minutes ago, chippendale said:

A third term?!? (orgasms spontaneously)

And you're asking me to focus??!! I'm tickled pink. A third term!

(victory dance) The wins keep adding up for God Emperor Trump.

That's a sign of an extreme case, calling trump God Emperor. I don't think there is a cure. Scary stuff indeed.

"The Alt-Right Hails Its Victorious God-Emperor

On Wednesday, Charles Johnson, an alt-right troll who calls himself a journalist, was sitting on a Brooklyn-bound F train wearing a Make America Great Again hat. “You support a man who is racist, sexist, and homophobic,” a man standing next to him said, accurately. “We won—<deleted>> off,” Johnson said, also accurately."

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/the-alt-right-hails-its-victorious-god-emperor

Archived