Restrictions on Thai children educated at international schools

jayboy

I understand that Thai children educated at international schools have certain restrictions placed upon them when considering university education here in Thailand.Is this true and can anybody supply me with a reference to the details

You need to ask at the international school if they have students included in the 'quota' system for the medical degrees. At government schools theres a set number of gifted students who are placed into the 'quota' system to get into medicine or dentistry degrees. Every govt school offers this. But Im unsure about international students. I think my wife indicated that we would not send our child to an international school for that reason but I have to check. If your child is an 'average' student then its not applicable and probably best to stay in the international school. 

If you find out more info on this please post it here. We know about this bc my wife was accepted in the quota system. After they finish their degree they are bound to a short term contract with the govt but can work in the private sector part time as well in their own time. 

I believe it is to do with the system of learning.

The international school will teach your children to be independent thinkers, able to question theory and question nonsense teachings.

the Thai school will teach your children to work as a team, do as they are told and obey those of higher age, status, rank etc.

Your children will either learn to swim in a Thai uni or drown under superstitious nonsense, bureaucracy, and hirarchy.

Would you really want to teach the creativity and independent/critical thinking out of your child for the opportunity to attend a third class education? 

27 minutes ago, manchega said:

Your children will either learn to swim in a Thai uni or drown under superstitious nonsense, bureaucracy, and hirarchy.

About 60% of my teens university course is dance, sport, prayer and king worship.

(International Business Studies)

45 minutes ago, manchega said:

The international school will teach your children to be independent thinkers, able to question theory and question nonsense teachings.

the Thai school will teach your children to work as a team, do as they are told and obey those of higher age, status, rank etc.

Would you really want to teach the creativity and independent/critical thinking out of your child for the opportunity to attend a third class education? 

I think you don't have much experience with either international schools or Thai universities. No Thai university is any different from the primary or secondary system. They rely greatly on rote learning. The kids do learn to think creatively and independently, but they also learn not to display that to their teachers. It's the same everywhere. International schools may give more training in how to use libraries, but otherwise they follow the same education system as the country their founder originated from. They give different emphasis to different subject matter than Thai schools, but otherwise there is no difference. Do you really think the schools in France or Germany teach their students to think independently? One exception I've seen -- I read a teacher's manual for teachers of high school level mathematics published in the old Soviet Union. It stressed teaching independent thinking and creativity.

9 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

About 60% of my teens university course is dance, sport, prayer and king worship.

Pretty sad , but maybe as mentioned the quota system only affects the higher degrees 

Worried about MaeJo's comment & now I know why everyone gets a degree (thousands of them ) & work in 7/11's 

I think I would rather send my lad to a Technical College  (I did have a very good electrician do a house ) as most of these degrees are only reconised in Thailand 

47 minutes ago, manchega said:

how much do you know about the thai education system?

i know many students at tammasat and chula and there is certainly not a learning environment at those universities where a student can comfortably challenge or question a  teacher.

there is a lot of 'group work', very few, if any, essays are written and there is no encouragement for students to apply the knowledge they have gained.

some universities rely on multiple choice 'exams' where in many cases the answers to the questions can be found in photocopied booklets purchased in shops adjacent to the university.

studying at a thai univeristy is nothing like the studying i did at university.

26 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

seems you sent your teens to a one of a kind university...

When studied for my BBA we had one course of PE for which we could choose swimming, ping pong or dancing, we had one course about thai culture and Buddhism and the rest was general BBA and specific major related courses. We never had any prayer/worship classes or duties.

Same goes for the university I studied my masters degree. Yes, both in Thailand.

2 hours ago, samsensam said:

there is a lot of 'group work', very few, if any, essays are written and there is no encouragement for students to apply the knowledge they have gained.

Yep, my teen does all the homework and course works for her group of 10, assisted by 1 other girl.

The other 8 copy her finished product ......... they only provide refreshments while she works.

2 hours ago, BEVUP said:

Pretty sad , but maybe as mentioned the quota system only affects the higher degrees 

Worried about MaeJo's comment & now I know why everyone gets a degree (thousands of them ) & work in 7/11's 

I think I would rather send my lad to a Technical College  (I did have a very good electrician do a house ) as most of these degrees are only reconised in Thailand 

I paid for my wife's older brother to get a degree in some kind of computer study's, He now drives a tractor.

The younger brother was sent to a technical collage and became a electrician, 10 years later he is head of maintenance in a factory. He earns ฿32000/month and is in charge of a team of 8. He also has a very sexy wife, so I think being a Thai electrician is a good idea.

52 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Yep, my teen does all the homework and course works for her group of 10, assisted by 1 other girl.

The other 8 copy her finished product ......... they only provide refreshments while she works.

Thanks for that information – and also the other post about uni-dancing etc. – it reminds me as real life version of the recent No.1 Box Office Thai movie "Bad Genius" (really worth watching, by the way)...:smile:

42 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Thanks for that information – and also the other post about uni-dancing etc. – it reminds me as real life version of the recent No.1 Box Office Thai movie "Bad Genius" (really worth watching, by the way)...:smile:

Thanks for the movie suggestion, trailer looks good,  just downloading ......

Well to reply to those that quoted me.  It seems our education systems all over the world are letting kids down.  We make them jump through pointless hoops which will be of little value industrially.

yes some of the students may be exceptional , as they are everywhere, but tamasat, is known amongst thai 's for being a place where you send your kids if you have money......

were you to see the output from thai uni students in an scientific subject you would understand.......

That is my view of it.  But it is not isolated to thailand.

On 1/30/2018 at 10:27 AM, manchega said:

You have no idea what you are talking about. 

My wife teaches private classes. One of her students that has been with her for about 3 years, attends a very expensive International school.

The curriculum is the same as state schools, the arrogance of the teachers is the same as state schools, the brain washing is the same as state school.

This young girl is super smart and her talents, I fear, may be wasted by the poor education system here. 

On 01/02/2018 at 10:58 AM, manchega said:

but tamasat, is known amongst thai 's for being a place where you send your kids if you have money......

Thammasart is, arguably, Thailand's no. 2 university. Admission is by entrance exam and not means-tested. To gain a place at Thammasart, money is neither required nor will having money be enough to get a poor student in.

Have you perhaps confused Thammasart with Assumption?

On 1/30/2018 at 1:30 PM, MaeJoMTB said:

This depends on the school, the teachers they have and admins policy on cheating. It would be unfair to tar all Thai schools with the same brush. I know many foreign teachers who would not accept such work. I give maths homework - I don't even collect it. I will give them a test on this material the following week. Many Thai students have lots of potential; it's up to the teachers to get them to reach it. 

On 2/3/2018 at 6:35 AM, cornishcarlos said:

My wife teaches private classes. One of her students that has been with her for about 3 years, attends a very expensive International school.

The curriculum is the same as state schools, the arrogance of the teachers is the same as state schools, the brain washing is the same as state school.

This young girl is super smart and her talents, I fear, may be wasted by the poor education system here. 

Like they say.....students will learn despite their schooling, not because of it.....most kids will do most of their authentic learning outside of the classroom. This is what Jack Ma has to say about formal schooling:

http://www.teachifyme.com/jack-ma-told-son-education/

39 minutes ago, DavisH said:

This depends on the school, the teachers they have and admins policy on cheating. It would be unfair to tar all Thai schools with the same brush. I know many foreign teachers who would not accept such work. I give maths homework - I don't even collect it. I will give them a test on this material the following week. Many Thai students have lots of potential; it's up to the teachers to get them to reach it. 

This is at University.

When the teen was at high school and the wife was at university, teen did all the university work for wife too.

On 2/3/2018 at 6:35 AM, cornishcarlos said:

Wouldn't an International School follow a different curriculum, or am I misunderstanding? 

On 2/3/2018 at 12:35 AM, cornishcarlos said:

That surprises me – i.e. the Thai-schools must be better than their previous reputation, especially what often posted in TVF – however, it's well known that the certification is expensive, and that's part of the often quite high tuition fees.

Are you suggesting that I'm totally wasting my kid's school fees..?:unsure:

Some of the requirements for a typical Thai international school, with Cambridge certification:

The school’s mission
and educational values
1. The school has a clear 

mission statement that
makes reference to its
educational values.
2. The culture of the school
is learner-centred and
supports students and
teachers to become confident,
responsible, reflective,
innovative and engaged.
3. International awareness
and global perspectives are
promoted through the
curriculum and other
activities.
4. Relationships between staff
and students are positive,
demonstrate mutual respect,
and the school has established
and consistent expectations
of behavior.

Quality of teaching
and learning
1. The school is appropriately resourced with
sufficient staff employed in management,
teaching and support roles.
2. The school curriculum is clearly expressed and
accessible to teachers, students and
their parents.
3. Assessment outcomes are monitored and
evaluated with clear feedback into teaching and
learning strategies.
4. Teachers have appropriate qualifications
to deliver Cambridge programmes and
qualifications successfully.
5. Teaching takes account of students’ diverse
learning styles and individual needs.
6. The school has a well-designed approach
to the professional development of teachers
and other staff.
7. The school has a clear policy to address the
language needs of learners.

Source: Becoming a Cambridge International School. A guide to the registration process. (PDF)

:smile:

14 hours ago, khunPer said:

Are you suggesting that I'm totally wasting my kid's school fees..?:unsure:

Nope, as I don't know which school your kids will attend !!

I'm saying that you can pay as much as you want, doesn't mean you will always get what you think your high fees deserve.

That marketing blurb, you posted above, is just marketing blurb. The reality might be quite different.

I can only go on reports from the students that my wife teaches. They always need extra study with her to get through their exams. 

Thammasart is, arguably, Thailand's no. 2 university. Admission is by entrance exam and not means-tested. To gain a place at Thammasart, money is neither required nor will having money be enough to get a poor student in.

Have you perhaps confused Thammasart with Assumption?

Agreed but can anyone answer my original question, the subject of this thread - namely whether there are any restrictions placed on Thai kids educated in international schools in entering universities like Thammasart?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 minute ago, jayboy said:

Agreed but can anyone answer my original question, the subject of this thread - namely whether there are any restrictions placed on Thai kids educated in international schools in entering universities like Thammasart?

First, we need to know whether you are referring to a standard programme or an approved and certified international programme at a Thai university. The restrictions to enter an international programme are less. The restrictions to enter a standard programme are M. 6 certificate and in the case of a top govt. university like Thammasat, passing the entrance exam.

Second, we need to know whether the international school pupil is or has studied and received an M. 6 certificate. If not, what certificate or qualifications do they hold and will they be considered as M. 6 equivalents to allow the student to enter a standard programme at a Thai university. Using your example of Thammasat, it is very unlikely that someone could pass the entrance exam without also studying up to M. 6.

So you need to clarify what type of programme you are referring to and what secondary school qualifications the international school student is studying for.

6 minutes ago, jayboy said:

In my limited knowledge, children that study in international schools are able to apply for some subjects at thammasart or chulalongkorn etc.such as business, human resources, usually nothing in the sciences or math. 

Not all of the international schools are connected to an overseas university or accredited overseas. Therefore you would be in the same position, business, sports or public relations degrees. From what I can see everyone can get a degree. But international schools or lower level thai schools have a limited choice of topics or universities that they can choose. At the end it will effect the jobs that can be applied for and salary. Chulalongkorn gets management and high salary. Rajaphat gets underling and less salary. 

On 2/1/2018 at 10:58 AM, manchega said:

Well to reply to those that quoted me.  It seems our education systems all over the world are letting kids down.  We make them jump through pointless hoops which will be of little value industrially.

yes some of the students may be exceptional , as they are everywhere, but tamasat, is known amongst thai 's for being a place where you send your kids if you have money......

were you to see the output from thai uni students in an scientific subject you would understand.......

That is my view of it.  But it is not isolated to thailand.

I would like to point out that thailand sends it's students to compete in international science competitions all over the world. 

They are winning gold, silver and bronze medals every year. The top Mathayom schools are

Suankularb , samsaen, yothinburana, suksa nari, sathit pratumwam, sathit prasarnmit and a few more. There are up to 3000 applicants fighting for around 200 gifted seats and 200 normal seats. At Mathayom one and four they separate the best from the average from the failing. No amount of money can buy their way into the top ranking. The top universities also have this ranking. The students and classes that you are talking about all come from the low ranked classes. Through my son, I see that the  government supports their top learners like no other country. There are scholarships, specialist teachers, overseas travel, competitions. 

Most foreigners and even many Thais have no idea about the ranking system of Thailand. 

3 hours ago, greenchair said:

In my limited knowledge, children that study in international schools are able to apply for some subjects at thammasart or chulalongkorn etc.such as business, human resources, usually nothing in the sciences or math. 

Not all of the international schools are connected to an overseas university or accredited overseas. Therefore you would be in the same position, business, sports or public relations degrees. From what I can see everyone can get a degree. But international schools or lower level thai schools have a limited choice of topics or universities that they can choose. At the end it will effect the jobs that can be applied for and salary. Chulalongkorn gets management and high salary. Rajaphat gets underling and less salary. 

There are plenty of Internation programs that will accept students from international schools, providing they have passed the relevant entrance exams, or have SAT's (I and 11), IB, IGCSE, AP, etc. 

1 hour ago, DavisH said:

There are plenty of Internation programs that will accept students from international schools, providing they have passed the relevant entrance exams, or have SAT's (I and 11), IB, IGCSE, AP, etc. 

There are. Look at the subjects though. 

They are limited.

Which by the way my post did say they are accepted at thai universities. To my knowledge every thai university or most, have an international section. 

But like I said, limited topics. 

They are not going to get a degree in chemical  engineering or medicine in the international section. (to my limited knowledge)

14 minutes ago, greenchair said:

There are. Look at the subjects though. 

They are limited.

Which by the way my post did say they are accepted at thai universities. To my knowledge every thai university or most, have an international section. 

But like I said, limited topics. 

They are not going to get a degree in chemical  engineering or medicine in the international section. (to my limited knowledge)

SIIT (Thammasart University). Mahidol and Chula have similar programs in science, business, engineering, etc. 

image.png.1e9d58a278e7b7f734e2f924b2f79b88.png

image.png.fb9f5b65c03d8ea42268004e9523ccc3.pngimage.png.b3bf7aec68e10d77f605040f981cc6c9.png

Archived