Retirement visa for American info needed

I've done research on this forum but there's so much info I'm not fully clear, so asking directly.

I'm in my early 50's and looking to retire in Thailand. I understand I can get a affidavit from the consulate in Chiang Mai to verify my income, and I need to apply for an appointment 2-3 weeks in advance.

I heard you can retire in Thailand if you are over 50, but does this also apply to getting the affidavit if you are American? Am I old enough to get the affidavit?

I came in on a 60 day visa with an option to extend for another 30, and I have at least 45 days left on the first 60 days. Assuming I'm old enough to get the affidavit, what would I do next? You can point me to an existing thread that I might have missed.

I'm not averse to using an agent if it will make the process easier and less risky should I do anything wrong.

thanks.

I've done research on this forum but there's so much info I'm not fully clear, so asking directly.

I'm not averse to using an agent if it will make the process easier and less risky should I do anything wrong.

thanks.

Google is your friend. I got the following information in less than 30 seconds from the US Embassy website in Thailand...

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/thai-visas-americans/

Retirement Visas

Retirement visas for Thailand are available to foreigners 50 years of age or older. These visas are valid for only one year and employment of any kind is strictly prohibited. According to Thai immigration, applicants must meet the following qualifications:

Applicant must be able to provide proof of a pension or other regular income from a source outside of Thailand;
Applicant’s pension or other regular income must be no less than the equivalent of 65,000 Baht per month;
Alternatively, the applicant may meet the financial requirement by maintaining a Thai bank account with a minimum amount of 800,000 Baht. (Applicants will need to show that they have 800,000 Baht in savings each year when they renew their visa.)
Any applicant married to a Thai citizen may be able to receive a visa on that basis rather than retirement.
For additional requirements and information, please consult the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or the Royal Thai Embassy in Washington, D.C. websites.

2 minutes ago, vivid2 said:

Google is your friend. I got the following information in less than 30 seconds from the US Embassy website in Thailand...

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/thai-visas-americans/

Retirement Visas

Retirement visas for Thailand are available to foreigners 50 years of age or older. These visas are valid for only one year and employment of any kind is strictly prohibited. According to Thai immigration, applicants must meet the following qualifications:

Applicant must be able to provide proof of a pension or other regular income from a source outside of Thailand;
Applicant’s pension or other regular income must be no less than the equivalent of 65,000 Baht per month;
Alternatively, the applicant may meet the financial requirement by maintaining a Thai bank account with a minimum amount of 800,000 Baht. (Applicants will need to show that they have 800,000 Baht in savings each year when they renew their visa.)
Any applicant married to a Thai citizen may be able to receive a visa on that basis rather than retirement.
For additional requirements and information, please consult the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or the Royal Thai Embassy in Washington, D.C. websites.

Thanks.

I've read that as well, and I think it was the first thing I read.

My question was whether the American consulate in Chiang Mai (or the Embassy in Bangkok, but I'm closer to CM) would provide income affidavits to people just over 50. Just because the Thai government considers 50 retirement age doesn't necessarily mean the US consulate or embassy does.

And then my questions were about logistics.

2 minutes ago, just plain different said:

Thanks.

My question was whether the American consulate in Chiang Mai (or the Embassy in Bangkok, but I'm closer to CM) would provide income affidavits to people just over 50. Just because the Thai government considers 50 retirement age doesn't necessarily mean the US consulate or embassy does.

Easy answer, yes they do.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PoorSucker said:

Yes, within last 30 days of your tourist visa, costs 2000 baht

So, I can only switch to the non-imm during my last 30 days. Is that the last 30 of the initial 60 day period, or of the extended 90 day period?

Do I need to already be on the non-imm to get the affidavit? This sounds like I have to make an appointment with the consulate (from what I've read) 2-3 weeks in advance, but within a 30 day period.

Once I have the affidavit do I need to do a visa run to Laos (easiest for me) and apply for the retirement visa out of country?

no need to leave the country.

at immigration in thailand, apply to convert your tourist

visa to a non-immigrant o visa.

later you will apply for a one-year extension of stay.

if able to open a bank account, xfer $26k.

no need for income affidavit then.

2 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

no need to leave the country.

at immigration in thailand, apply to convert your tourist

visa to a non-immigrant o visa.

later you will apply for a one-year extension of stay.

if able to open a bank account, xfer $26k.

no need for income affidavit then.

Thanks!

I'd rather get the affidavit than transfer all that money to a Thai bank account, and I've heard it's easier. This is starting to be more clear.

1) I apply to convert my tourist visa to a non-Imm O for 2,000 baht within the last 30 days of my 60 day tourist visa. I'm assuming that is a 30 day extension?

2) I get an income avidavit from the US consulate in CM for $50. (Can I get that before getting the non-imm visa, or can I at least schedule an appointment ahead of time that falls within the earlier part of that 30 day window so it's not a race against time?)

3) I go back to immigration with my affidavit and whatever other necessary documentation and then I get my one year extension. And I don't need to leave the country! How much is the one year extension?

Thanks!

I'd rather get the affidavit than transfer all that money to a Thai bank account, and I've heard it's easier. This is starting to be more clear.

1) I apply to convert my tourist visa to a non-Imm O for 2,000 baht within the last 30 days of my 60 day tourist visa. I'm assuming that is a 30 day extension?

2) I get an income avidavit from the US consulate in CM for $50. (Can I get that before getting the non-imm visa, or can I at least schedule an appointment ahead of time that falls within the earlier part of that 30 day window so it's not a race against time?)

3) I go back to immigration with my affidavit and whatever other necessary documentation and then I get my one year extension. And I don't need to leave the country! How much is the one year extension?

Yes you can get the affidavit anytime within a month before. 1 year ret visa fee is 1900 baht

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, taiwanatoa said:

Yes you can get the affidavit anytime within a month before. 1 year ret visa fee is 1900 baht

Thanks, again.

Now I'm wondering about converting the 60 tourist visa to a non-imm O visa. I knew I could extend the tourist visa, but not convert to a non-imm O visa. I once had an non-Imm O when I did TEFL training years ago, and that was good for a year. So, I'm still confused. Am I getting a 30-day non-imm O visa? Do I need special paperwork to get this? It almost sounds like I need proof of income to get the non-imm O to get the affidavit that is proof of income to get the retirement visa.

2 minutes ago, taiwanatoa said:

What do you think the affidavit is? It's proof of income! Take it to imm. , pay the fee and get your ret. visa and go.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Thanks. I think I got that part. But that's AFTER I convert my 60 day tourist visa to a non-imm O.

I was asking about converting the tourist visa to the non-imm O, and what I need to do for that?  Is it as easy as going to immigration and applying for it, or do I need some special documentation, etc? Do I say I am intending to retire, and then they just give it to me?

18 minutes ago, taiwanatoa said:

Right. They don't ask anything. You just show the proof of income and application form for the ret. visa. That's all.

Another member wrote, "You need to either convert your 60 day tourist visa or go to a consulate abroad to get a non immigrant visa first." So, I'm confused about the order of doing things.

I thought I need the non-imm first, before I can go to the consulate and get the affidavit. But you are saying I use the affidavit and application for retirement to get the non-imm. That's the opposite order.

Sorry if my questions seem a little dense, but, the information SEEMS contradictory to me and I'm just trying to figure it out. Is the retirement visa the same thing as the Non-Imm O visa?

Edited by just plain different
typo and clarification.

You don’t convert anything.

In order to apply for a 1 year extension of stay based on retirement (“retirement visa”) you need to have a 90 day permit to stay from a Non-Immigrant Visa.

You can apply for a Non-Immigrant Visa in the country within the first 45 days of your tourist visa entry. You need at least 15 days left. They do this as a prerequisite to getting an extension of stay.

You need to get your income affidavit before applying for the visa.

About two weeks after applying for the visa you return to immigration. They issue the visa and stamp your passport with a 90 day permit to stay.

Within the last 30 days of the new 90 day stay you go back to immigration to apply for the 1 year extension of stay. You will need to provide proof of income again, and can use the same affidavit used to apply for the visa.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, just plain different said:

Now I'm wondering about converting the 60 tourist visa to a non-imm O visa. I knew I could extend the tourist visa, but not convert to a non-imm O visa. I once had an non-Imm O when I did TEFL training years ago, and that was good for a year. So, I'm still confused. Am I getting a 30-day non-imm O visa? Do I need special paperwork to get this? It almost sounds like I need proof of income to get the non-imm O to get the affidavit that is proof of income to get the retirement visa.

You will apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry at immigration. In Chiang Mai they want you to have a least 21 days remaining on your 60 day entry or the 30 day extension it.

You can use the same income affidavit from the consulate to apply for the visa and then a one year extension of stay based upon retirement. (not a visa).

After apply for the visa you can apply for the one year extension during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry from it.

General requirements for the visa is here. https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_80

I suggest you get the income affidavit as soon as possible so you can get things started a Chiang Mai immigration. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You will apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry at immigration. In Chiang Mai they want you to have a least 21 days remaining on your 60 day entry or the 30 day extension it.

You can use the same income affidavit from the consulate to apply for the visa and then a one year extension of stay based upon retirement. (not a visa).

After apply for the visa you can apply for the one year extension during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry from it.

General requirements for the visa is here. https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_80

I suggest you get the income affidavit as soon as possible so you can get things started a Chiang Mai immigration. 

Thanks, Joe:

That's pretty clear. Now I'll take it one step at a time. Already made an appointment for the consulate. I'll come back and ask questions if I can't figure out the rest myself.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

13 hours ago, just plain different said:

Thanks.

Note that you can e-mail questions to the Consulate - yes they do answer e-mails questions - at least for me:

U.S. Consulate Chiang Mai
387 Witchayanond Road
Chiang Mai 50300, Thailand
Phone: +66-53-107-777
Fax: +66-53-234-472
Email: [email protected]

• Like 1

13 hours ago, taiwanatoa said:

You don't convert it to anything. You just get the ret. visa

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

???
u need first have a NON o visa for reasons of being over 50,

you than apply for a 1 year EXTENSION.

not all immigration's will convert a visa exempt entry or a tourist visa to a non O>
so its easy to just leave Thailand ,go to a Thai embassy in a nearby country ( Laos,Malaysia, Myanmar etc)an apply for a non O visa.

20 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

???
u need first have a NON o visa for reasons of being over 50,

you than apply for a 1 year EXTENSION.

not all immigration's will convert a visa exempt entry or a tourist visa to a non O>
so its easy to just leave Thailand ,go to a Thai embassy in a nearby country ( Laos,Malaysia, Myanmar etc)an apply for a non O visa.

Going to immigration in Thailand seems a lot easier than going out of country to do it and come back in. I've done the trip to Laos in the past. Does Chiang Mai immigration do it? I'm already here.

11 minutes ago, just plain different said:

Does Chiang Mai immigration do it? I'm already here.

Yes they do it. They can make it difficult and want 21 days remaining on your entry. Best to start it well before the 21 days to allow plenty of time to get the application accepted.

• Like 1

On 1/30/2018 at 7:42 AM, ubonjoe said:

A couple more questions/complications have come up.

When applying for the affidavit I can use the current address where I am staying in CM. However, I am planning on moving on to CR. If it is possible for immigration there (much smaller queues) to convert the 60-day tourist visa to a Non-Imm O, and do the extension, that's easier than doing those parts in CM. However, if they don't do it (someone just said not all immigration offices do it), than it would be better to do it in CM.

I'm also wondering if I do the paperwork in CM, and then move to CR, will I have to do my 90 day check ins in CM, or is an address change not a big deal?

15 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Yes they do it. They can make it difficult and want 21 days remaining on your entry. Best to start it well before the 21 days to allow plenty of time to get the application accepted.

Thanks! I've done the trip to the embassy in Laos a few times, and it's not my favorite vacation experience.

I'm wondering if I'd be better off using an agent rather than doing this myself. If it's less risky, but costs a bit, I'd rather fork over some money than run into problems. Y'know, if they "make it difficult" in more way than one.

Edited by just plain different
clarification