Retirement visa for American info needed

Re the income affidavit, the U.S. Consulate website has the blank document on their website, one version for BKK and another for CM, that you download and fill out, and then take with you on the day of your Consulate appointment.

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/notaries-public/income-affidavit/

Take the completed form and your passport. Go for your appointment. Pay the $50 fee. They will take your passport and form, you wait a little while. Then you'll be called to meet with a Consulate officer very briefly who will ask you to attest verbally that the info you submitted is correct and then have you sign the form in his/her presence. [DO NOT SIGN THE FORM YOURSELF IN ADVANCE BEFORE MEETING WITH THE OFFICER!] The officer will countersign the form, and then you're done.

Note, AFAIK, Immigration only will accept original versions of the income affidavit, not photocopies of the original. So if you plan to re-use the same affidavit for your initial non O and then again for your retirement extension, I believe you'll either need to hold onto the original or somehow see that you keep access to your original at Immigration. AFAIK, the officers who handle the Non-Os are not necessarily the same as those who handle retirement extensions.

Also, generally, the income affidavits are valid with Immigration anytime from 6 months after their issue date. So you can get it anytime in the process you're envisioning doing and not have to worry about it expiring.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

" Note, AFAIK, Immigration only will accept original versions of the income affidavit, not photocopies of the original. So if you plan to re-use the same affidavit for your initial non O and then again for your retirement extension, I believe you'll either need to hold onto the original or somehow see that you keep access to your original at Immigration. AFAIK, the officers who handle the Non-Os are not necessarily the same as those who handle retirement extensions."

That could be a problem. How can I hold on to the original if Immigration takes it? Do they only look at it and then give it back, or do they make a copy, in which case I can ask to get the original back rather than a copy?

As for location, generally, the Immigration office you apply to is based on the address/location where you are ostensibly living at the time you apply.

But, not all Immigration offices will do the tourist visa to Non-O conversion. CM will do that, but I'm not sure if CR will. Perhaps Joe or one of the CM/CR residents can answer that.

However, all Immigration offices will do the retirement extension, and you can only apply for that at the local Immigration office for your address at the time you apply.

In general, I think, CR is an easier, less jammed office to deal with compared to CM.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, just plain different said:

" Note, AFAIK, Immigration only will accept original versions of the income affidavit, not photocopies of the original. So if you plan to re-use the same affidavit for your initial non O and then again for your retirement extension, I believe you'll either need to hold onto the original or somehow see that you keep access to your original at Immigration. AFAIK, the officers who handle the Non-Os are not necessarily the same as those who handle retirement extensions."

That could be a problem. How can I hold on to the original if Immigration takes it? Do they only look at it and then give it back, or do they make a copy, in which case I can ask to get the original back rather than a copy?

I've never done a tourist visa to Non-O conversion, so I can't answer your question. Hopefully someone else can. I'm curious to know how that issue gets handled also.

But when you go for the retirement extension, they definitely take and keep your original affidavit.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Re the income affidavit, the U.S. Consulate website has the blank document on their website, one version for BKK and another for CM, that you download and fill out, and then take with you on the day of your Consulate appointment.

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/notaries-public/income-affidavit/

Take the completed form and your passport. Go for your appointment. Pay the $50 fee. They will take your passport and form, you wait a little while. Then you'll be called to meet with a Consulate officer very briefly who will ask you to attest verbally that the info you submitted is correct and then have you sign the form in his/her presence. The officer will countersign the form, and then you're done.

Note, AFAIK, Immigration only will accept original versions of the income affidavit, not photocopies of the original. So if you plan to re-use the same affidavit for your initial non O and then again for your retirement extension, I believe you'll either need to hold onto the original or somehow see that you keep access to your original at Immigration. AFAIK, the officers who handle the Non-Os are not necessarily the same as those who handle retirement extensions.

Also, generally, the income affidavits are valid with Immigration anytime from 6 months after their issue date. So you can get it anytime in the process you're envisioning doing and not have to worry about it expiring.

As far as I can tell I only need my passport and the document (got it). Anything else? Photos, proof of address…? I tried to look it up but didn't see anything. Thanks for your help :-)

14 minutes ago, just plain different said:

As far as I can tell I only need my passport and the document (got it). Anything else? Photos, proof of address…? I tried to look it up but didn't see anything. Thanks for your help :-)

Re the income affidavit appointment, yes, sorry, one other thing: You'll need to make an online appointment on the Consulate's website appointment scheduling system for American Citizen Services and choose the option that's something like "other business" -- not replacing a passport or the other specific options.

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/acsappointment/

When you make the appointment using their online system, the website will provide you with an appointment letter to print out and take with you the day of your appointment. So that day, you'll need to bring the printed appointment letter, the printed and filled out income affidavit (not signed), and your passport that's not anywhere close to reaching its expiration date.

The Consulate won't ask for anything else in the way of documentation. But at least in BKK (I've never been to the CM Consulate), they'll ask you to leave a drivers' license or some other form of photo ID with them at the security checkpoint in order to later retrieve the things they won't let you take inside, like a cellphone, umbrella, etc etc because of security measures.

At the Consulate, nothing about photos or proof of address. But, the address you fill out on the affidavit form ought to match the address you are using when you go to apply for the tourist visa to Non-O conversion.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, just plain different said:

If you want to be 100% safe, get two affidavits. If the first immigration official is nice (or possibly is offered a service fee) they can notarize a good quality color copy for you (on sight of the original) and use that allowing you to keep the original.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, just plain different said:

you cant, ONLY originals accepted, they take it so u will need as many as required...  at $50 ( 1,700 baht) /pop

23 minutes ago, BritTim said:

If you want to be 100% safe, get two affidavits. If the first immigration official is nice (or possibly is offered a service fee) they can notarize a good quality color copy for you (on sight of the original) and use that allowing you to keep the original.

I really wasn't sure how the issue of the two different Immigration processes would work, if the OP had only one income affidavit. I suppose, he could purchase one and use it for the tourist visa to Non-O conversion process.

And then at that point, try the approach you suggest. If the IO is willing to do that, then fine and he has an original still to use for his subsequent retirement extension application.

But if the IO isn't willing to do that, he'd still have time to make another appointment at ACS after his tourist visa to Non-O conversion and pay for and get a second income affidavit. I'm assuming the appointments backlog at the CM Consulate isn't TOO far delayed. In Bangkok, the first available date is usually a week or so into the future.

But for CM, the OP will see what kind of appointments backlog they have when he goes to make his first ACS appointment to get the income affidavit for his tourist visa to Non-O first step. And can plan accordingly based on that.

6 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I really wasn't sure how the issue of the two different Immigration processes would work, if the OP had only one income affidavit. I suppose, he could purchase one and use it for the tourist visa to Non-O conversion process.

And then at that point, try the approach you suggest. If the IO is willing to do that, then fine and he has an original still to use for his subsequent retirement extension application.

But if the IO isn't willing to do that, he'd still have time to make another appointment at ACS after his tourist visa to Non-O conversion and pay for and get a second income affidavit. I'm assuming the appointments backlog at the CM Consulate isn't TOO far delayed. In Bangkok, the first available date is usually a week or so into the future.

But for CM, the OP will see what kind of appointments backlog they have when he goes to make his first ACS appointment to get the income affidavit for his tourist visa to Non-O first step. And can plan accordingly based on that.

I got an appointment for just a few days later. I think I was lucky, though.

1 minute ago, just plain different said:

I got an appointment for just a few days later. I think I was lucky, though.

It can vary a bit depending on the time of year, whether you're in a Thai holidays period when the Consulate closes, other factors, etc etc...

But as I said, at least for the BKK Consulate, the wait time is normally about one week, give or take.

• Like 1

Still getting wildly conflicting info. A couple popular agencies in CM state that you need to leave the country to transfer the tourist visa to a Non-Imm O visa, but people here are saying it can be done at CM Immigration (I prefer to believe you guys). One agency says one needs to leave the country twice, once for the conversion and once for the extension. I was under the impression, optimally, that I wouldn't need to leave at all for either. Can anyone clarify this or reaffirm what was said here?

Some say I will need ONE affidavit from the consulate, and some say 2 (one original for the conversion and another original for the extension). Has anyone purchased 2? Has anyone used the same for both or copies for both?

Apparently (or not) I can convert my tourist visa to a Non-Imm in CM, and then extend it in CR. Is this really possible? Would I need to leave the country in that case but not if I did it all in CM?

In order to preserve my sanity, I'm  trying to just do one step at a time. So,  the most pressing issue is whether I need one or two affidavits.

One agency says one needs to leave the country twice, once for the conversion and once for the extension.

50% wrong,  All extensions are done IN COUNTRY

If i was  in ur place

I'd leave, get ur Non O 90 day visa in Laos, come back, move to CR, put ur money in the bank ASAP,  after its been in 60 days go and apply for the 1 year extension in CR, Than you  only need the one affidavit

You HAVE to apply for the extension at the immigration office where you live as u need a certificate of residence and register ( notification of residence) ur address as where ur living.

11 minutes ago, just plain different said:

Still getting wildly conflicting info. A couple popular agencies in CM state that you need to leave the country to transfer the tourist visa to a Non-Imm O visa, but people here are saying it can be done at CM Immigration (I prefer to believe you guys). One agency says one needs to leave the country twice, once for the conversion and once for the extension. I was under the impression, optimally, that I wouldn't need to leave at all for either. Can anyone clarify this or reaffirm what was said here?

Some very incorrect info from those agencies. No need to leave the country.

11 minutes ago, just plain different said:

Some say I will need ONE affidavit from the consulate, and some say 2 (one original for the conversion and another original for the extension). Has anyone purchased 2? Has anyone used the same for both or copies for both?

Only one is needed. Normally when you apply for the visa they keep the original affidavit when you application. Then when you go back for the extension they pull it from your file and use it for the application.

12 minutes ago, just plain different said:

Apparently (or not) I can convert my tourist visa to a Non-Imm in CM, and then extend it in CR. Is this really possible? Would I need to leave the country in that case but not if I did it all in CM?

Doing it that way would require 2 income affidavits.

I am certain Chiang Rai can also do the conversion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Some very incorrect info from those agencies. No need to leave the country.

Only one is needed. Normally when you apply for the visa they keep the original affidavit when you application. Then when you go back for the extension they pull it from your file and use it for the application.

Doing it that way would require 2 income affidavits.

I am certain Chiang Rai can also do the conversion.

That sounds like great news ubonjoe, and much appreciated!

I'm going to assume it doesn't matter what address I'm using for the affadavit, as it is evidence of income.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi folks. Part one of getting the retirement visa – the affidavit – went without a hitch. Thanks for all your help.

Now it's time for part 2. I have 21 days left on my 60 days visa. It's probably just enough time to apply for the Non-Imm O 3-month deal with intent to retire. However, I can extend my tourist visa (it's a 90 day variety) for another month, I gather, first, and buy myself some more time. Is that right? But with visas nothing every seems simple.

Assuming I can extend and get the Non-Imm-O during the first half of the extension, I just read I may need an onward flight ticket just to get the extension. True or false? And if someone can point me to a link or give me info on what I'll need for the extension, that would be great!

There's one more snafu. My extended visa will end around March 20th, which is just after Songkran. So, I'm concerned that the "at least 15 days before" to apply for the Non-Imm O might not work if there's a whopping holiday in that period. Should I apply further in advance to be safe?

Once again, I appreciate the help I've received here. I do try to look this stuff up first, but I'm never sure about changing rules, and there's conflicting information that drives me batty.

Edited by just plain different
I made a typo that makes me look dumber than I really am.

42 minutes ago, just plain different said:

Hi folks. Part one of getting the retirement visa – the affidavit – went without a hitch. Thanks for all your help.

Now it's time for part 2. I have 21 days left on my 60 days visa. It's probably just enough time to apply for the Non-Imm O 3-month deal with intent to retire. However, I can extend my tourist visa (it's a 90 day variety) for another month, I gather, first, and buy myself some more time. Is that right? But with visas nothing every seems simple.

Assuming I can extend and get the Non-Imm-O during the first half of the extension, I just read I may need an onward flight ticket just to get the extension. True or false? And if someone can point me to a link or give me info on what I'll need for the extension, that would be great!

There's one more snafu. My extended visa will end around March 20th, which is just after Songkran. So, I'm concerned that the "at least 15 days before" to apply for the Non-Imm O might not work if there's a whopping holiday in that period. Should I apply further in advance to be safe?

Once again, I appreciate the help I've received here. I do try to look this stuff up first, but I'm never sure about changing rules, and there's conflicting information that drives me batty.

You can apply for the 30 day extension your 60 day entry to get more time to apply for the 90 day non immigrant visa entry.

It is at least 15 days days remaining on your entry to apply for the visa. It the most days you can have remaining.

There is no requirement to have a ticket out of the country to apply for an extension.

Songkran is not until April.

I see no reason why you could not apply for the visa now and then the extension of stay during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry from the visa.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

You can apply for the 30 day extension your 60 day entry to get more time to apply for the 90 day non immigrant visa entry.

It is at least 15 days days remaining on your entry to apply for the visa. It the most days you can have remaining.

There is no requirement to have a ticket out of the country to apply for an extension.

Songkran is not until April.

I see no reason why you could not apply for the visa now and then the extension of stay during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry from the visa.

Thanks, Joe! Just to clarify, I need at least 15 days left to apply for the Non-Imm O extension, but is it the same for the 30 extension on my tourist visa? Or can that be done days before it's up?

Also, my 90 day visa time will be up around April 20, with extension (not March, my mistake) and that's why I was concerned Songkran might be an issue.

4 hours ago, just plain different said:

Thanks, Joe! Just to clarify, I need at least 15 days left to apply for the Non-Imm O extension, but is it the same for the 30 extension on my tourist visa? Or can that be done days before it's up?

• No, you need at least 15 days left to apply for the non-immigrant visa.
  • A 30 day extension on your tourist visa can be applied for within the last week or so, and right up to and including day 30.

Edited by elviajero
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, just plain different said:

The 15 days before is for the 90 day non immigrant visa entry application at immigration. You can apply up to 30 days early for the one year extension of stay.

If you go to immigration with less than 15 days remaining on your 60 day entry they will do the 30 day extension and then accept your application for the visa during the same trip to immigration. If you have more than 15 days the extension would not be needed.

10 hours ago, just plain different said:

Also, my 90 day visa time will be up around April 20, with extension (not March, my mistake) and that's why I was concerned Songkran might be an issue.

You can apply for the extension of stay based upon retirement up to 30 day early or 45 days at some offices.

Just do it before Songkran. Immigration will only  be closed  from the 13th to 16th of April for the holiday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The 15 days before is for the 90 day non immigrant visa entry application at immigration. You can apply up to 30 days early for the one year extension of stay.

If you go to immigration with less than 15 days remaining on your 60 day entry they will do the 30 day extension and then accept your application for the visa during the same trip to immigration. If you have more than 15 days the extension would not be needed.

You can apply for the extension of stay based upon retirement up to 30 day early or 45 days at some offices.

Just do it before Songkran. Immigration will only  be closed  from the 13th to 16th of April for the holiday.

Thanks, again, Ubon Joe. You've been Uber helpful. And I recall you helped me with some information several years ago. You do use all a grand service. Cheers.