Meet the "Most Holy German in Thailand" - the first foreigner to pass high level Buddhist exams

webfact

Meet the "Most Holy German in Thailand" - the first foreigner to pass high level Buddhist exams

aHR0cHM6Ly9zLmlzYW5vb2suY29tL25zLzAvdWQvMTAzMC81MTUyNzc0L2ZhYWQuanBn.jpg

Picture: Sanook

A German who has lived most of his adult life in Thailand's north east studying Buddhism is being hailed as the most holy German in Thailand.

Phra Khru Ubon Pawanawitet (once known as Henning Guerlee (name transliterated from Thai)) has become the first foreigner to pass exams marking him as a Buddhist Preceptor.

Phra Khru Ubon first got interested in Buddhism when he was studying physics at university in Berlin in his native Germany. After graduation he headed for Thailand and was ordained at the international temple in Ubon in 1998.

Since then he has garnered the attention of many top monks and spiritual leaders who have helped him climb up the Sangha ladder until he was named abbot.

He told Sanook that he had a great interest in Thai culture and his faith in Buddhist has enabled him to progress on the path to enlightenment.

And on this spiritual journey he has inspired many other foreigners to follow a similar path.

On Sunday a ceremony held in Bangkok by the Mahathera Council gave out diplomas that elevated 200 monks to the preceptor grade.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-01-30

ha ha ha, thanks tv this one cheered me up.

hope those teaching are keeping things working in harmony

the hierarchy of monks is thai then japan then, or if you are lao then lao then japan then, or if you are burmian then burma then japan then  

I remember a book by Richard Randall who was the first westerner to be ordained in Bangkok in the early 50's. I think there was something like 260 rules they had to keep one being NOT having any money and owning only tunics and bowls for alms collections. In the forest temple near our house they even have smart phones now- to help them get away from it all!

1 hour ago, Orton Rd said:

I remember a book by Richard Randall who was the first westerner to be ordained in Bangkok in the early 50's. I think there was something like 260 rules they had to keep one being NOT having any money and owning only tunics and bowls for alms collections. In the forest temple near our house they even have smart phones now- to help them get away from it all!

The smart phones are used only to order from pizzahut so i was told!!!

8 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

I would love to see a copy of that exam. I have to wonder because I know the basic tenants of Buddhist philosophy and I see how Thai monks behave in practice and frequently they seem to be in opposition. 

Decades ago, I used to sometimes visit a Thai temple in the UK which was run by a British monk. I think even then, he'd been a monk for twenty-plus years. He organised prison visiting for Buddhists in prison.

I used to enjoy chatting with him. He often criticised Thais there for their not-so-Buddhist attitudes.

I remember once when one of the Thais asked him when his birthday was, the monk replied that the only reason he was being asked was to use the date to buy lottery tickets, saying that it wasn't really appropriate.

2 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Ohh that's why i see monks in computershops all the time...it's to stay away from it....

Perhaps to be the highest qualification one needs to be an uber monk, the type you see with a servant walking next to them carrying their shit so they don't need to, usually wearing shades, umbrella, mobile phone and found in taxis, first class on planes and waiting rooms...

was randall the bloke who was an obese cook ( you know american obese really really carrying unnecesary weight) and had to fast for 15 weeks resulting in stomach collapse and failure of a number of internal organs before becoming a holy man?

Whoever posted this nonsense I am as interested in knowing who has become a jedi knight recently?

Archived