Thailand has the world's 2nd highest percentage of children being bullied at schools

webfact

OBEC improves measures to prevent school bullying

be.jpg

File photo

BANGKOK, 30th January 2018 (NNT) – The Office of the Basic Education Commission (OBEC) is preparing a plan to prevent bullying in schools, after a recent survey shows that Thailand has the world's 2nd highest percentage of children being bullied at schools. 

According to the survey conducted by the Department of Mental Health, about 600,000 children are being bullied at schools each year, and 40 percent of these children are bullied by their peers. 

The OBEC Secretary General, Boonrak Yodpetch, said his agency is currently working on a plan to tackle this issue. The plan will then be presented to the Education Minister, Dr. Teerakiat Jareonsettasin, for consideration. 

Mr. Boonrak said violence at schools cannot be handled by the OBEC alone, and all concerned agencies must join hands to solve it.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-01-30

17 minutes ago, Artisi said:

Step No 1,start with the teachers, that will probably reduce the problem by more than 50%

Well, I did wonder when they said 40% of the bullying was being done by their peers, who was doing the other 60%?

20 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

Thailand has the world's 2nd highest percentage of children being bullied at schools. 

....another number 1 beckons!

Note to those in charge, must try harder to be the Hub....

19 year old teen ...... been with her since age 11, temple school, followed by government school, now university.

No signs, symptoms or complaints about bullying (Ladyboy teacher slapped her once, not sure that counts)

6 year old ...... 3 years of Ampur kindergarten

No signs, symptoms or complaints about bullying.

So if it is a problem, I haven't seen it. Unlike in the UK where everyone was bullied (or a bully). 

Thai schools compare VERY favorably to UK schools in this matter.

I would like to know their definition of bullying. It was quite common when I was at school back in the day, with fistfights a weekly occurrence. I would bet there is a big difference between government and private schools here. In my private school I have not seen a fistfight in 16 years, and bullying seems to be only an occasional issue. 

17 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

19 year old teen ...... been with her since age 11, temple school, followed by government school, now university.

No signs, symptoms or complaints about bullying (Ladyboy teacher slapped her once, not sure that counts)

6 year old ...... 3 years of Ampur kindergarten

No signs, symptoms or complaints about bullying.

So if it is a problem, I haven't seen it. Unlike in the UK where everyone was bullied (or a bully). 

Thai schools compare VERY favorably to UK schools in this matter.

Aaaaaaaah...the good old "it doesn't affect me, so it doesn't exist"!

"So if it is a problem, I haven't seen it."

I have never seen a Blue Whale...quiet sure, they exist though....

2 minutes ago, DM07 said:

"So if it is a problem, I haven't seen it."

I have never seen a Blue Whale...quiet sure, they exist though....

I've seen a lot of bullying, just not in Thai schools. If it were that widespread, why haven't I seen it?

Lots of TV posters like to bash everything Thai, when in reality it's just their 'white colonial prejudices' in action.

If it's that bad here, why stay?

So...many on here, don't "buy" this story?

Everyday, we read about road- rage, some high-up-moron berating some socially - lower person,!

There are reports about hazing!

Armed, sometimes even fatal fights between student- groups! 

Soldiers dying from mistreatment...and you think, that just pops up, after  people have left school?

Everyday, there are reports of teachers, beating up children!

Jealous guys killing their ex- girlfriends and/ or her boyfriend!

Domestic violence, rape of every women and their daughter (literally in some cases)...but it didn't happen to your kids, so you are not buying into the problem?

For you, it is just the fantasy of some Thai- hating farang?

Because Thai- society is sooooooooo peace loving and it is the "Land of smiles", after all?

Wow!

Just wow!

1 hour ago, Orton Rd said:

Just part of the feudal hierarchy 

Exactly.

This whole society is based upon bullying everybody below you while sucking up to the ones above you. 

The is no rule of law, reliable court system, justice, or moral standard. The one with the biggest stick (wallet or connections) is going to get his way and you better lick their boots.

See how even the PM bullies reporters when he doesn't like their question. Ever seen a PM throwing a banana peel at a reporter " as a joke" in your home country?

6 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Thailand has the world's 2nd highest percentage of children being bullied at schools. 

....another number 1 beckons!

Lol... just dropped in to see who would get to it first

go thailand.... image is everything, and here’s another fail... no farangs involved... lol

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand has the world's 2nd highest percentage of children being bullied at schools

Says a lot about a society constantly high on Thainess and what they call moral values. I assume at this very moment many students as well as teachers are working on it to top the ranks.

Archived