Thailand has the world's 2nd highest percentage of children being bullied at schools

webfact

Geeze I wrote about Thailand the other day on this issue?

• No 1 in road deaths.
  • Rated mo 6 in corruption but heading for No 1
  • The other one I forgot .. Maybe my dementiar is worsening?
  • Now no 2  for child abuse.

Thailand should hold the next Olympics that way these may be listed as a sports category and Thailand wins gold medals finally!

9 hours ago, darksidedog said:

No real surprise sadly, given Thais emotional instability and the amount of violence both in real life and on the TV. I am sure a Government denial will be issued shortly.

And overlay with a military culture that sees bullying as a leadership prerequisite for handling its enlisted men, cadets and general Thai population.

I am anxious to see a follow up, or a little more information with this story...you don't just make a blanket claim like this without detailed data ei which age groups are most at risk , govt schools vs private...

1 hour ago, Tarteso said:

They learn so young

4DE73107-6C82-4F34-B320-C02F924FB124.jpeg

I agree ..in my opinion the bullie begins at home with the fist used a form of discipline or the ''kick threat'' form,which is then used in play fighting and also seen as a sport. ...which we all know comes from the national sprt of muay thai. the child must be very confused..too often thai parents don't now how to and when to discipline properly...a bullie is not born ,but rather created ,either intentional ,or unintentionaly.some parents enjoy this behavior in their boys..my observations

8 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

19 year old teen ...... been with her since age 11, temple school, followed by government school, now university.

No signs, symptoms or complaints about bullying (Ladyboy teacher slapped her once, not sure that counts)

6 year old ...... 3 years of Ampur kindergarten

No signs, symptoms or complaints about bullying.

So if it is a problem, I haven't seen it. Unlike in the UK where everyone was bullied (or a bully). 

Thai schools compare VERY favorably to UK schools in this matter.

My daughter did 5 years in a Rajabhat Uni demonstration primary school over a decade ago and no reports of bullying from other kids. Like your 19 year old, the only time she reported bullying was from an inadequate bully of a sports teacher, who used to slap the kids around for forgetting their sports kit or other minor matters, who tried to tease her for being a "luk kreung" to try and get laughs from other kids. Sad really that people like this are allowed to teach, but she was strong enough not to let this idiot get to her. 

But having said that, I don't doubt for a minute that  bullying is rife in Thai schools, as it reflects the wider culture of drawing attention to difference and a hierarchical power structure, that is inculcated from an early age and some have called vestiges of the ancient "sakdina" system still surviving to the present. 

My son was bullied for being half on 3seperate occassions and forced to move schools. Funnily enough it was our neighbours children and sure enough they bully our whole family because they are so pathetic and have nothing better to do but be envious for no reasons what so ever but what is more troubling is that my child has been left out in the classroom and bullying still continues and is being instigated by friends of friends of bullies. There is literally adults of children spurring on such behavior. Thais really need to get smart. Its pretty pathetic and embarassing for the country as a whole. If things like morals were taught by parents from the get go things would be vastly different here..

11 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Lots of TV posters like to bash everything Thai, when in reality it's just their 'white colonial prejudices' in action.

If it's that bad here, why stay?

Wise up, and grow some skin. This is not a Thai bashing thread.  The OBEC is a Thai agency.

3 hours ago, plachon said:

But having said that, I don't doubt for a minute that  bullying is rife in Thai schools, as it reflects the wider culture 

But  "MaeJoMTB", and the other Thai apologists DO doubt it. If they read your reply they will cry and shout Thai basher.

I would be interested to see the criteria and the studies that came to this conclusion.   I worked in education in Thailand for around 25 years, and the last 15 involved supervising numerous schools in different provinces.   The schools were mostly private, but within the schools, I saw very, very little bullying.   There were the occasional fights and outburst, but nothing compared to western schools.  

Thai social groupings tend to be fairly tightly knit and so when there was a problem, it was generally between students from one class against another, but even this was relatively rare.  

Between schools, there was a level of rivalry and we had a sister school (with students from poorer families) who came to move some stuff from one school to the other.   The students from the other school took the opportunity to slap a few students around, but that was more school rivalry.

The day-to-day bullying we hear about in western countries was not very visible.   It doesn't mean it doesn't occur, but I just didn't see it.   Even new students coming to the school were treated rather well.

I saw teachers picking on students, which I would classify as bullying, for being from less affluent families, being too dark, or having ethnic backgrounds that were looked down on (mostly Laotian and some from Issarn).  

If anyone knows where the study can be found, please post it.  

2 hours ago, Scott said:

I would be interested to see the criteria and the studies that came to this conclusion.   I worked in education in Thailand for around 25 years, and the last 15 involved supervising numerous schools in different provinces.   The schools were mostly private, but within the schools, I saw very, very little bullying.   There were the occasional fights and outburst, but nothing compared to western schools.  

Thai social groupings tend to be fairly tightly knit and so when there was a problem, it was generally between students from one class against another, but even this was relatively rare.  

Between schools, there was a level of rivalry and we had a sister school (with students from poorer families) who came to move some stuff from one school to the other.   The students from the other school took the opportunity to slap a few students around, but that was more school rivalry.

The day-to-day bullying we hear about in western countries was not very visible.   It doesn't mean it doesn't occur, but I just didn't see it.   Even new students coming to the school were treated rather well.

I saw teachers picking on students, which I would classify as bullying, for being from less affluent families, being too dark, or having ethnic backgrounds that were looked down on (mostly Laotian and some from Issarn).  

If anyone knows where the study can be found, please post it.  

A quick search finds several references. As I have minimal interest in the topic I'll identify one (page 34):

Bullying_and_cyberbullying_in_Thailand_A_review.pdf

Nonsense. I've taught in expensive private schools and difficult government schools and several in-between. Bullying is less than the UK. I've had to pull boys up for their behaviour towards the girls occasionally but that's it.

Some replies here confuse bullying with observable violence or fighting. Bullying  can be verbal or social, not always a punch or kick. Misunderstanding the nature of bullying is the most likely explanation for the fallacy, "I've never seen it, so I doubt it exists." 

17 minutes ago, Puwa said:

Some replies here confuse bullying with observable violence or fighting. Bullying  can be verbal or social, not always a punch or kick. Misunderstanding the nature of bullying is the most likely explanation for the fallacy, "I've never seen it, so I doubt it exists." 

Despite 3 of us being involved in education across several countries.

And all of us stating bullying is more extensive and serious in the UK than Thailand.

1 minute ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Despite 3 of us being involved in education across several countries.

And all of us stating bullying is more extensive and serious in the UK than Thailand.

It's true, I failed to gasp a clean breath under the crushing weight of your collective expertise, especially when compared to an OBEC study. But if you maintain that your out-of-hand ejaculations are better than anyone else's data, research, knowledge, or experience, then you have all the education you need, apparently.

On 1/30/2018 at 10:48 AM, MaeJoMTB said:

19 year old teen ...... been with her since age 11, temple school, followed by government school, now university.

No signs, symptoms or complaints about bullying (Ladyboy teacher slapped her once, not sure that counts)

6 year old ...... 3 years of Ampur kindergarten

No signs, symptoms or complaints about bullying.

So if it is a problem, I haven't seen it. Unlike in the UK where everyone was bullied (or a bully). 

Thai schools compare VERY favorably to UK schools in this matter.

Anecdotal.  It's like saying, "police killings of blacks is a huge problem compared to police killings of other races.  I saw the Youtube videos!"

On 1/30/2018 at 10:48 AM, DavisH said:

I would like to know their definition of bullying. It was quite common when I was at school back in the day, with fistfights a weekly occurrence. I would bet there is a big difference between government and private schools here. In my private school I have not seen a fistfight in 16 years, and bullying seems to be only an occasional issue. 

I would bet you're right.  My guess is that there is much less bullying by peers and (the more troubling) teachers at private schools compared to the public ones here.

On 1/30/2018 at 11:12 AM, MaeJoMTB said:

I've seen a lot of bullying, just not in Thai schools. If it were that widespread, why haven't I seen it?

Lots of TV posters like to bash everything Thai, when in reality it's just their 'white colonial prejudices' in action.

If it's that bad here, why stay?

Do you spend much time in schools in Thailand, or among school age children?  If not, then that may be why you haven't seen it.

The "why stay" question is easy.  I send my kid to a private school.  If I couldn't afford that, then we'd definitely leave the country rather than subject him to the Thai educational system.

Like bad driving leading to death and injury, student on student violence seems to be another endemic problem that Thailand can't solve.  Maybe next year Thailand will have another 'Winner' and make Number 1 in the world in both driving carnage and school bullying?

Archived