Which DSLR Budget Baht 50K?

The title says it all really. I have a compact that cost about Baht 12k and has served me well for a few years now, but I would like to upgrade and get back into photography more seriously but within a budget of 50k. Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

2 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

Do you really think this is the time for an SLR? I am looking too, but I am observing the roll out of mirror-less systems. 

I am open to mirrorless. http://www.techradar.com/news/photography-video-capture/cameras/mirrorless-vs-dslr-1304910 To be honest my last SLR was a Nikon FA. I loved that camera but it was stolen and I never replaced it with another SLR. So I haven't used an SLR in more than 20 years and, hence,  am out of touch with what is going on now. 

Well the SLR's are still top dog, but my opinion is that their day has past and lighter weight boxes with smaller lenses are going to be the future. Sony is obviously the early front runner in mirror-less, but the playing field is much more level than it ever was. Cameras are computers now and every manufacturer can buy the tech from whoever they like and stick a Ziess lens on the front to give it some imagined superiority. I will watch this thread with interest and see what others have to say. I am hoping Canon picks up their game a little.

If you are going to get serious about photography great glass is just as important(or more important ) than the camera itself. You will be committing to a system of your choice, so choose wisely.  As I get older things that were less important in the past seem more relevant (like flip screens with touch menus). Weight was never a consideration for me since I like landscapes and use a tripod and I don't lug gear around on a trip. I just got back from Bangkok and tried the new Sony A7 rIII mirror less but it's not for me despite the great press its received (controls too small for my large hands) and Sony glass is expensive with fewer choices than Nikon or Canon. Since I am committed to Nikon and will be getting the Nikon D850 in a few months, and sell my D800E. If I were just starting I would seriously consider Fuji and their X-T2. Fuji design and build quality is top notch,with some nice glass. 

7 minutes ago, ThaiBob said:

If you are going to get serious about photography great glass is just as important(or more important ) than the camera itself. You will be committing to a system of your choice, so choose wisely.  As I get older things that were less important in the past seem more relevant (like flip screens with touch menus). Weight was never a consideration for me since I like landscapes and use a tripod and I don't lug gear around on a trip. I just got back from Bangkok and tried the new Sony A7 rIII mirror less but it's not for me despite the great press its received (controls too small for my large hands) and Sony glass is expensive with fewer choices than Nikon or Canon. Since I am committed to Nikon and will be getting the Nikon D850 in a few months, and sell my D800E. If I were just starting I would seriously consider Fuji and their X-T2. Fuji design and build quality is top notch,with some nice glass. 

Thanks for the input. I'll keep it in mind.

9 hours ago, ThaiBob said:

Let us know your decision, I remember fretting over full frame vs APS-C. 

Checked out the X-T2 today at Big Camera. A bit out of my price range at 69,000 or thereabouts. I have given myself a budget of Baht 50k. 

I would not rule out second hand. DSLR's do not generally hold their value and you can get excellent cameras at a fraction of their original price. The Fuji X-T3 will be coming out shortly (6 months?) with a big price drop on the old model. Holds true with most camera brands. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have decided that I will buy either the Fuji X-T20 or the Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II but I can't make up my mind about the lens. The dealers are selling  camera and lens sets for a wide range of prices.    

I'm pretty pleased with my Nikon D5500, which also gets excellent reviews as an entry level DLSR.  Mine was 19,000 baht with the 18-55 kit lens, and the other 31,000 in your budget would buy you some decent alternative lenses and other goodies like a speedlight, gimbal, filters, tripods, extra batteries, video lighting, external microphones, etc.  I've got more into accessories than the camera itself.  (But a big part of my objective is to learn to do online video and a lot of the accessories can be used with my other gear like action cam, camcorder...)

I'd get the D5600 today, which adds some wifi connectivity.

I paid 8,000 for a Tamron 70-300mm lens and just for grins, 2,800 for a cheapo YongNuo 50mm F1.8.  All after perusing YouTube to get multiple reviews.  I won't pop for the high dollar lenses and gimbal until I figure out how it all works together...

Cameras today seem like computers.  If you wait for the model that will come out in a month, you'll never buy anything.  Because there will be another upgrade coming out a month later.  But today's lenses will still fit.  So that's where I'd focus the big $$$.

3 hours ago, Curt1591 said:

I used my neighbor's X-T20 for a few hours. I found adjusting the settings rather convoluted, not very intuitive at all. 

Be sure to give both a hands-on workout before buying.

Thanks for the input. I actually held one and found it a bit small for my hands. I have long fingers. 

2 hours ago, impulse said:

I'm pretty pleased with my Nikon D5500, which also gets excellent reviews as an entry level DLSR.  Mine was 19,000 baht with the 18-55 kit lens, and the other 31,000 in your budget would buy you some decent alternative lenses and other goodies like a speedlight, gimbal, filters, tripods, extra batteries, video lighting, external microphones, etc.  I've got more into accessories than the camera itself.  (But a big part of my objective is to learn to do online video and a lot of the accessories can be used with my other gear like action cam, camcorder...)

I'd get the D5600 today, which adds some wifi connectivity.

I paid 8,000 for a Tamron 70-300mm lens and just for grins, 2,800 for a cheapo YongNuo 50mm F1.8.  All after perusing YouTube to get multiple reviews.  I won't pop for the high dollar lenses and gimbal until I figure out how it all works together...

Cameras today seem like computers.  If you wait for the model that will come out in a month, you'll never buy anything.  Because there will be another upgrade coming out a month later.  But today's lenses will still fit.  So that's where I'd focus the big $$$.

Mmmmmmm, that's got me thinking. The lenses are what my final decision is riding on.  But I am not looking to shoot videos so mikes and video lighting are not of interest. 

It is becoming much more complicated the more I read about it and my head is spinning. I'll probably go with the Olympus though. Just making a decision on the lens combination. I will be shooting landscape, macro and portrait stuff but very little action.  

Yesterday, I asked an acquaintance  what camera he used. He posts some great images on a Facebook group we are both members of. He said nothing special just a Lumix bridge camera. So it just goes to show, I could be wrong in splashing out on expensive equipment, and should follow your lead. Damn!!!!!

21 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Yesterday, I asked an acquaintance  what camera he used. He posts some great images on a Facebook group we are both members of. He said nothing special just a Lumix bridge camera. So it just goes to show, I could be wrong in splashing out on expensive equipment, and should follow your lead. Damn!!!!!

I share your bewilderment.  There are some wizards out there for separating me from my $$$.

I've got a FujiFilm HS30 EXR that I've used for a couple of years- bought it 2nd hand for less than $150 on the BTS.  It's much better than I'll ever be for photos.  Put it in Auto mode, push the button halfway to make sure the auto-focus can catch what I want and push the button the rest of the way.  Shoots amazing photos for me.  Also does a better-than-passable job on video up to Full HD.

If all I wanted was photos (which is all I did want when I bought it), I'd have saved over $1,000- not buying the Nikon and video accessories.  In fact, the Fuji shoots great videos within its limits- but the built in audio isn't adequate for doing videos of seminars, which is a current wild hair project I'm doing.  And I'm trying out some action cams and camcorders to see which combination works best under which conditions.  Being newly retired gives me way too much spare time...  Which I'm needing as I learn to edit the videos.  What a time eater.

My point being, just because I wasn't interested in video 3 years ago, doesn't mean I'm not today.  Uploading and watching videos today (4K is the latest "minimum", BTW- what a hoot), is as easy as uploading 640x480 photos when I bought my first Samsung digital camera.

Anyway, let us know what you decide, and how it works out.

• 2 weeks later...

I considered the Nikon D7200 but finally went for the Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II Kit with the M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-40 f2.8 Pro, which I got for Baht 45,493 (normal retail price Baht 64,900). This is the best lens offered as part of a kit. I could have gone for a kit with one of the other lenses for less, but this offer was just too good to say no.   

On 2/24/2018 at 8:08 PM, GarryP said:

I considered the Nikon D7200 but finally went for the Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II Kit with the M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-40 f2.8 Pro, which I got for Baht 45,493 (normal retail price Baht 64,900). This is the best lens offered as part of a kit. I could have gone for a kit with one of the other lenses for less, but this offer was just too good to say no.   

Congratulations! Great price; the lens itself is normally not far off that and is one of Olympus's great lenses.

Archived