Beef Stew

Jet Gorgon

This is one of my favourites, and can be frozen in individual portions. Undercook the spuds and veg a bit so they don't get mushy on reheating.

Kilo or so of beef, like the big roast cuts at the market

4-5 carrots

4-5 med spuds

I big or two smaller white onions

Half a big yellow squash

Celery or chinese celery tops

Cilantro

Green beans (optional)

2 beef bouillion cubes

Bay leaf (optional)

Fill rice cooker 3/4 with water. When boiling, add the bouillion cubes. Swish around to dissolve.

Cut the beef into bite-size chunks. Add to the pot with bay leaf. Let cook away for two or three hours. Add water as necessary. If you want thick stew, stir up some flour in a cup of cold water and add after about an hour.

Chop up the veg into bite size pieces. Add carrots first, wait ten minutes, add onions, celery and squash. Wait ten minutes, add beans and spuds. Cook until spuds are still really firm. Best to cool, refridgerate and eat the next day so the flavours meld into a symphony of tastebud ecstacy. Reheat, chop up cilantro and add to the pot for about one minute. Serve with crusty bread. Really good to share with friends on cold rainy evenings.

I do not add salt. The bouillion and the flavours are enought for me. Adjust for your taste.

NB My mom used to flour and fry the beef first, but I found it gets rubbery in a rice cooker.

If you have any nifty tips, please let me know.

This is one of my favourites, and can be frozen in individual portions. Undercook the spuds and veg a bit so they don't get mushy on reheating.

Kilo or so of beef, like the big roast cuts at the market

4-5 carrots

4-5 med spuds

I big or two smaller white onions

Half a big yellow squash

Celery or chinese celery tops

Cilantro

Green beans (optional)

2 beef bouillion cubes

Bay leaf (optional)

Fill rice cooker 3/4 with water. When boiling, add the bouillion cubes. Swish around to dissolve.

Cut the beef into bite-size chunks. Add to the pot with bay leaf. Let cook away for two or three hours. Add water as necessary. If you want thick stew, stir up some flour in a cup of cold water and add after about an hour.

Chop up the veg into bite size pieces. Add carrots first, wait ten minutes, add onions, celery and squash. Wait ten minutes, add beans and spuds. Cook until spuds are still really firm. Best to cool, refridgerate and eat the next day so the flavours meld into a symphony of tastebud ecstacy. Reheat, chop up cilantro and add to the pot for about one minute. Serve with crusty bread. Really good to share with friends on cold rainy evenings.

I do not add salt. The bouillion and the flavours are enought for me. Adjust for your taste.

NB My mom used to flour and fry the beef first, but I found it gets rubbery in a rice cooker.

If you have any nifty tips, please let me know.

dont you mean lubbery? :o