BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Once Bitten

Greenhorn's guide – Thinking about building a house in Thailand

7 minutes ago, Naam said:

the usual generalising blah-blah from people who possess a wealth of no idea pertaining to investments. applying this advice means expressis verbis "staying away from any investment."

I believe the OP has written a pointed and valuable "tome" for the benefit of all forum members, especially those considering building a house for the wife or GF.

Family, and friends of family are comfortable helping themselves to your possessions. Might not be anything big, but if they like a spoon, or a coffee cup, or a towel, well, you won’t miss it. You’re rich. Soon you’re asking “where the F did all the (blank) go to???”

You shouldnt even even consider investing a penny here with that loved one short of ten years on. Be sure what you’re getting into. And keep in mind there is NO zoning, so anyone can build anything right on your property line. If in doubt, come see the “adventure park” right outside my bedroom. 

Finally, the OP was spot on - be able to walk away from your ‘investment‘ and still be whole. Be able to leave the mistake behind and settle comfortably either back in your home country or elsewhere. 

Thailand might seem like a great idea now, but in 15 years....maybe not so much so. 

Good example is now it’s arguably cheaper to live in the US. Plus, cleaner air, less concern about clean food (pesticides, etc), cheaper and better alcohol, cheaper and better selection of....nearly everything, cheaper automobiles and a much better selection, I can go on and on. 

You may love it here and decide to stay, but if not.......

Just now, watcharacters said:

I believe the OP has written a pointed and valuable "tome" for the benefit of all forum members, especially those considering building a house for the wife or GF.

i respect your belief.

About money lending: The following worked for me: I told my gf there is a fixed amount for that. Not a monthly fixed amount but a total fixed amount. Lets say 20,000B total. If someone wants to borrow i.e. 3,000B and the gf wants that he gets that money, fine. And the next one 5,000B and whatever until the 20k are spent. Obviously everybody promises that the money will be paid back so in theory the 20,000B will be there forever for anybody who needs money for a week or two. So if people pay the money back then there is again money available for others. But if not then there is no money and everybody who wants money will hear the story that if Somchai and Nit and Noi will pay the money back like they promised then there will be money to lend, but if not then not.

For me it was also not difficult to "sell" this system to my gf. When I mentioned the 20,000B she thought that is so much money that is will never happen that we run out of money for others to borrow. She agreed that I will never have to lend anything more than that. Problem long term solved.

51 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

About money lending: The following worked for me: I told my gf there is a fixed amount for that. Not a monthly fixed amount but a total fixed amount. Lets say 20,000B total. If someone wants to borrow i.e. 3,000B and the gf wants that he gets that money, fine. And the next one 5,000B and whatever until the 20k are spent. Obviously everybody promises that the money will be paid back so in theory the 20,000B will be there forever for anybody who needs money for a week or two. So if people pay the money back then there is again money available for others. But if not then there is no money and everybody who wants money will hear the story that if Somchai and Nit and Noi will pay the money back like they promised then there will be money to lend, but if not then not.

For me it was also not difficult to "sell" this system to my gf. When I mentioned the 20,000B she thought that is so much money that is will never happen that we run out of money for others to borrow. She agreed that I will never have to lend anything more than that. Problem long term solved.

In theory your plan sounds reasonable.

In practice  such a plan is destined to  fail,  I think, both because of  depleted funds that won't be repaid and friends and relatives who oue to the plan and prefer to remain "unavailable  " as in avoidance.

On 30/01/2018 at 4:17 AM, Once Bitten said:

Never build a home to near your Thai partners family . If you do you may be constantly plagued by random un announced family members just popping in and out, at first you will smile and just give a wai thinking its nice to see people but be assured after a time  this will get on your nerves, and in the end you will be so cheesed off every time you go to the fridge to have a cold beer only to find the beers are all gone, you may come home to find strangers sitting on a mat in your lounge and be told its a cousin, you won't be able to watch Tv as mama is watching her favorite Thai soap , people will come and go cousins, aunts  and assorted distant relatives and hangers on, and in some cases people who you don't know at all ,and they may not even acknowledge that you are actually there . You will have paid to build the house but have no control over who does what in your own home , you can stop a lot of the above by not building your dream house to near any close family members . I'm not saying keep the family out , only don't make it  too easy , or it may end up becoming a burden , a stress inducer and augment starter along with final I'm packing my bag . 

Sorry, but totally disagree with this comment. My house is right next to the "in-laws" and can assure you that none of these things happen!! It all depends on how good a relationship you have with all involved.

1 hour ago, watcharacters said:

In theory your plan sounds reasonable.

In practice  such a plan is destined to  fail,  I think, both because of  depleted funds that won't be repaid and friends and relatives who oue to the plan and prefer to remain "unavailable  " as in avoidance.

I know the 20k is lost. But that's it. There will never be more lost because the gf knows that people did not return the money which they borrowed. So she can tell everybody who wants to borrow that they could get money if [insert names] would pay back what they borrowed earlier.

49 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I know the 20k is lost. But that's it. There will never be more lost because the gf knows that people did not return the money which they borrowed. So she can tell everybody who wants to borrow that they could get money if [insert names] would pay back what they borrowed earlier.

So in essence the rest of us can just throw that amount away and pretend it was  planned as a  nice loan operation that didn't work.   

Loans in SouthEastAsia are totally considered to be gifts.

1 minute ago, watcharacters said:

So in essence the rest of us can just throw that amount away and pretend it was  planned as a  nice loan operation that didn't work.   

Loans in SouthEastAsia are totally considered to be gifts.

Insert whatever amount you are willing to write off.

Fact is that this worked for me for years and it worked and still works because my gf agreed to it. I don't get any questions about money anymore because she understood that people only borrow and never give the money back. She knows that the 20k is lost and she also does not want that I spend more money on people who never pay it back. It seems she needed this experience to learn the principle. And I think 20k is not too bad. Lots of people wasted a lot more over the years.

I have just re read this whole post and in all honesty I can now say that it is a load of baloney. I have built a lovely house in a village not too far from the Wat, not too far from a main road, next to the "in laws", with the local school just up the road and plenty of neighbours. So I have done everything, almost, that you said not to. No need for a house-party and I am just considered to be another person in the village with no references to being rich etc.  And do you know something................it is bloody idyllic. If you can get into the Thai culture and way of life then there is no problem. I speak basic Thai, am the only farang in the area and have no problems at all. 

Your post just puts the downers on anyone who wants to give it a go. I did and have no regrets.  

An issue that I have seen first hand in the past is the 'purchasing' of land from family members. The land is in the family anyway and your wife/gf can only be the nominated land owner, so  you're technically just handing over money for very little for nothing. It's a fine line to tread if your partner is less than honest.

10 hours ago, worrab said:

I have just re read this whole post and in all honesty I can now say that it is a load of baloney. I have built a lovely house in a village not too far from the Wat, not too far from a main road, next to the "in laws", with the local school just up the road and plenty of neighbours. So I have done everything, almost, that you said not to. No need for a house-party and I am just considered to be another person in the village with no references to being rich etc.  And do you know something................it is bloody idyllic. If you can get into the Thai culture and way of life then there is no problem. I speak basic Thai, am the only farang in the area and have no problems at all. 

Your post just puts the downers on anyone who wants to give it a go. I did and have no regrets.  

I think the original post contains a lot of truth. And the reaction from many people shows clearly that lots of people, presumably many living since years in Thailand, agree with it. Obviously it's wonderful that you don't have any of the bad experiences which might happen, but they happen. And they happen to many of us. So I thing as a "Greenhorn's guide" this is very good. If an expert, with lots of experience, does something different than a greenhorn that is also fine, because the expert should know what he is doing.

11 hours ago, worrab said:

Do you always use the word baloney when somebody's experience differs fom yours?

How incredibly arrogant of you!

7 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Do you always use the word baloney when somebody's experience differs fom yours?

How incredibly arrogant of you!

I speak as I find oldhippy. Just out of interest.......where do you live............rent, bought, condo..........city, countryside?