BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Once Bitten

Greenhorn's guide – Thinking about building a house in Thailand

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 11:17 AM, Once Bitten said:

6. Never build a home to near your Thai partners family . If you do you may be constantly plagued by random un announced family members just popping in and out,

Never build a house at all. Everything you wrote only confirms my opinion that buying/ building my own home in LOS would have been a mistake.

My wife hinted a lot about building a house on the family land, but that was not something her sister managed to steal after she destroyed my marriage.

We unfortunately moved where her evil nephew was able to visit every weekend and set up camp in the living room, to use my washing machine, watch my tv, eat her food and leave his mess for her to clean up ( I refused to do so ). I even had to put a padlock on my own fridge to stop him stealing my food. Luckily I refused to have internet in the house, or he'd have used that too.

If I could do it over again, we'd just never go close enough for them to visit, and we'd probably still be married. We lived in Pattaya to start and they lived near Chiang Mai. That worked. Even if they had visited, we only had one room, so they'd have had to pay to stay in an hotel.

8. Never build a house near a Wat/ temple . If you do you could be woken up every morning at 4 am by the sound of a big Gong and incessant annoying chanting ,  if you value your sleep , keep well away from from a Wat.

Doesn't matter how far away one lives when they use loudspeakers throughout the village

11 . Don't build near water.  I know it sounds idyllic sitting there sipping your ice cold beer looking at the pond  lake or stream, but come the rains the water could become home for a large number of frog's looking for a partner to mate with, and trying to get to sleep with the ever present highly annoying croaking  chorus for hours on end will drive you up the wall.

Personally I love falling asleep to the frog chorus. Bliss.

13.  Build a Wall

We not only had a wall and a locked gate. Didn't stop thieves getting in. I put up so much barbed wire after that I called it Stalag Luft.

Also didn't stop the evil nephew from visiting any time he liked.

Never expect any help from the wife against a family member.

16. The house Party.

I must be unusual, but I never paid for any house parties. Never had any either. I had no interest in paying for people I didn't know to have anything free at my expense.

17. Just say NO

Worked for me till the end when I got evicted and the sister from the inner circle of hell stole everything I couldn't take away, like the big tv, 3 fridges and all the kitchen furniture.

We had a blow out party for our new house. I would never repeat. It started out small and snowballed into an event with a stage and live band, police to monitor parking, 2 days to set up...1 day of party...1 day to clean up...4 days of drunkenness. Totally over the top. 

NEW HOUSE 022.jpg

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Luckily I refused to have internet in the house, or he'd have used that too.

Too bad you had to deny yourself  internet rather than have a strong password  to block out the culprit.

45 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

Too bad you had to deny yourself  internet rather than have a strong password  to block out the culprit.

You misunderstand. I refused to have internet in the house as I'd never have gone out if I had it there. I went to the internet café where it was 10 baht an hour.

It was an unintended benefit that he didn't get to use it.

53 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You misunderstand. I refused to have internet in the house as I'd never have gone out if I had it there. I went to the internet café where it was 10 baht an hour.

It was an unintended benefit that he didn't get to use it.

You should write a book about your experiences , i can see it being a best seller, kind of an updated classic I am sure

690750.jpg